Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

Probably something really simple I am missing but can anyone explain how you can crop the actual canvas so to speak in Inkscape so that it is an appropriate size for the picture? I was looking for something like the MS Paint crop tool but just couldn't find one.

Not sure if this will help but..

File -> Document Properties, there should be a section where it says resize page to selection or drawing.

again, not sure if this is what you mean but I do hope it helps.

How do I distort an existing map so that it matches the Robinson(?) projection used in the standard q-bam world map projections used in this community?

I thought I had a system that worked, involving a bunch of Excel formulas to calculate a rotation and a resize scaling factor, but for anything that is far removed from zero on both the latitude and longitude axes, it seems I also need to include a "shearing" factor, which is pretty much impossible to calculate automatically (or at least, I have no idea how).

What I've been doing with the maps I've drawn so far in the q-bam thread is to rotate/resize them using my Excel formulas, then create a new semi-transparent layer on top of the main q-bam layer, and trace the borders. However, this won't work for most regions of the world and most maps, due to the shear distortion that is also present in most parts of the overall projection.

I have good knowledge of Paintshop Pro (v8). I also have use of Photoshop (v7), but would need step by step tutorials for anything involving that.

Is there a way to stretch an arbitrary map image as a layer to match a second map layer for "tracing" purposes?

Krall

Banned
Probably something really simple I am missing but can anyone explain how you can crop the actual canvas so to speak in Inkscape so that it is an appropriate size for the picture? I was looking for something like the MS Paint crop tool but just couldn't find one.

If you're talking about the rectangular outline that's there even in a blank document, then as zrew said you can change the size of that in the Document Properties. :)

How do I distort an existing map so that it matches the Robinson(?) projection used in the standard q-bam world map projections used in this community?

I thought I had a system that worked, involving a bunch of Excel formulas to calculate a rotation and a resize scaling factor, but for anything that is far removed from zero on both the latitude and longitude axes, it seems I also need to include a "shearing" factor, which is pretty much impossible to calculate automatically (or at least, I have no idea how).

What I've been doing with the maps I've drawn so far in the q-bam thread is to rotate/resize them using my Excel formulas, then create a new semi-transparent layer on top of the main q-bam layer, and trace the borders. However, this won't work for most regions of the world and most maps, due to the shear distortion that is also present in most parts of the overall projection.

I have good knowledge of Paintshop Pro (v8). I also have use of Photoshop (v7), but would need step by step tutorials for anything involving that.

Is there a way to stretch an arbitrary map image as a layer to match a second map layer for "tracing" purposes?

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea. Changing a map from one projection to another is something that I've never tried to do, and I've no idea how you'd achieve that, I'm afraid. :eek:

I'm beginning work on a tutorial of my own, I'll post it in here as soon as I have finished. Or at least Link off to it :)

Ah, that'd be awesome! I'll be sure to add it to the OP once you've posted it. :D

Krall

Banned
Does anyone know how to convert an Inskscape map into a Paint map??

Well, you can export all or a portion of an Inkscape map as a .PNG. I think it's under the File drop-down menu as "Export PNG image" or you can press "Ctrl + Shift + E" to bring up the panel on the right. Just choose a destination and name for the file, then click the "Export" button with a green tick sign on it. Once you've done that you'll have a .PNG image of the map which you can open and edit in MS Paint.

Does anyone know how to give an Inkscape map the "dark outline" effect like in this map?

You can achieve that effect using the Offset functions under the "Path" menu. Near the bottom there are a few options called "Outset", "Inset", "Dynamic Offset" and "Linked Offset". If you make a copy of a country's shape then select "Inset" it should shrink the shape inwards so you can have a thick border around the outside and a paler interior. The Dynamic and Linked Offset function might also help, as they let you alter the offset yourself using the Node Selection tool (second from the top on the toolbar to the left).

I just realized I never actually posted my own tutorial in this thread. Sorry! D:

Sorry for the huge size, you can't see any of it otherwise. :( Link to the FULL THING HERE:

1d62iTs.jpg

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out. Last night I saved a map of Korea that was rather advanced and now I can't access it, it says the computer cannot load the file. So I was wondering if you could help me out in seeing if its possible to access it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18656480/united korea map.svg Also, here it is, perhaps you can access it from your computers and it's something that has to do with my Inkscape. Let me know.

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out. Last night I saved a map of Korea that was rather advanced and now I can't access it, it says the computer cannot load the file. So I was wondering if you could help me out in seeing if its possible to access it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18656480/united korea map.svg Also, here it is, perhaps you can access it from your computers and it's something that has to do with my Inkscape. Let me know.
I've looked into it on google and a few of the inkscape forums. Seems to be an issue with Inkscape and how it "he problem is however in filters, not with the file, actually"
at least apparently. Can't seem to find a fix. Can you send me the direct file in a rar file? I can try to fiddle with it and see what the issue is. Every time I click on the dropbox it doesn't let me properly access it.
Thanks!
I'll try my best to fix it

I think that was the base map for North Korea, perhaps because it's a gif? But so was the one for South Korea... Btw Reagent I'm gonna send you a PM some time soon because I kind of want to go back to the idea of the *Spain that included Portugal, but I might first do like a map of Angola/Mozambique and you're the expert on that :p