Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

That's because that's the ACTUAL Loyalist Coronet. And I was too lazy to edit it

Alright here is attempt two with some meh palm leaves I designed. And the Coat of Arms itself

View attachment 280375

View attachment 280320

View attachment 280321

View attachment 280376

View attachment 280377

View attachment 280328

View attachment 280329
All very interesting.
I like the Ensign with Gold Crown and Rose myself but could see how anyone of them were chosen or made official.

I prefer option two or five on the second wave.

By the way, I finished an updated world map of the state before the war glen (Including all US states. Would you like me to post it?

Glen

The Flag of the Dominion of Southern America during the Population War was developed by the renowned artist from the Province of Albion, Louis Tennyson. The flag was based on the British Empire's Red Ensign, and the coat of arms (featuring prominently the Loyalist Coronet) for the DSA. The supporters emphasize the Dominion's native the alligator as well the shark being an allusion to the fighting nickname of "Shark-Eaters" that the Dominion naval forces earned in the Global War. The motto refers to the Loyalists staying "True to the Crown".

dsa1-svg-png.280375

Glen

Hey Glen, if you like I could do a poll for the flags. Have the fans choose
I think a preference poll would be interesting though I would consider the results consultative and not binding on my decision - I would recommend using multiple choices allowed since some people may have more a top two or three.

Glen

While at the beginning of the Population War, fighters and bombers were overwhelmingly bi-winged, as the war progressed a new generation of war ICEwings developed, the mono-wing.

320px-Martin_XPBM-1_Mariner_in_flight_c1939.jpeg

The first mono-winged ICEwings of the war were water ICEwings. All the naval forces of the war saw the value of ICEwings that could take off and land on the water for patrolling the shores of their nations. These early mono-winged ICEwings mounted their wings high on the body of the ICEwings. The high mount allowed for clearance from the spray of the water and a good line of sight for the flight crew. Some early mono-winged fighters of the Population War initially used this configuration as well.

320px-Dewoitine_D-26_Fitzgerald.jpg

After a period of experimentation and trial and error though most of 1935 into 1936, the low slung mono-wing design for fighter ICEwings had come to dominate the air in the Population War.

No._151_Wing_Royal_Air_Force_Operations_in_Russia%2C_September-november_1941_CR38.jpg

Glen

Human Rights.png

While the term "Human League" came to be retrospectively applied to the allied nations who opposed the Malthusian Manifesto during the Population War it was not in common use until the end of the war. The origin of the term came from the Joint Declaration of Human Rights that was developed by those nations as a counter to the Manifesto. Seen as a refutation of both Malthusianism and to a degree the Korsgaardism of the last century (and ironically several of the nations that participated in the drafting of the document had been under Korsgaardian regimes during the Global War).

Joint Declaration of Human Rights

Article 1 - All humans are born and remain free and equal in rights.

Article 2 - All humans are entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status.

Article 3 - All humans have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness with the justification for any political association being the conservation of humans rights and resistance against oppression.

Article 4 - All humans have an inalienable and sacred right to property alone as well as in association with others and no human can be deprived of private usage unless there is a legally noted public necessity that requires it and only under the condition of a just and timely compensation.

Article 5 - Sovereignty derives from the humans of a nation; no body or individual can exert authority which does not emanate expressly from the sovereignty of a nation's populace and laws shall not be dispensed with or suspended without the consent of the people or their chosen representatives.

Article 6 - Humans retain all powers not delegated to their government.

Article 7 - All humans have a right to protection from tyranny and thus all governments shall safeguard against tyranny through a separation of powers and a government without separation of powers has no legitimacy.

Article 8 - Any society in which there is no assurance of a guarantee of human rights as enumerated in this Declaration has no legitimacy.

Article 9 - All humans have the right to bear arms for their defence as regulated by law.

Article 10 - To guarantee human rights, sovereign states shall institute necessary public force or forces for the advantage of all humans under the law and not for the particular utility of those in whom it is trusted.

Article 11 - Humans according to their ability to contribute shall contribute within reason to the maintenance of a public force and the expenditures of administration in their community, and every human has the right to ascertain personally or through a chosen representative the need for any public tax, to consent to it freely, to know the uses to which it is put, and of determining the proportion, basis, collection, and duration.

Article 12 - Every human has the right of requesting account from any public agent of its administration.

Article 13 - No human shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms. It is duty of all peoples to free any human held in bondage.

Article 14 - No human shall be subjected to torture, cruel, inhumane, or degrading treatment or punishment.

Article 15 - No human shall be denied the right to life and subjected to execution unless with due process and by way of justice and law found guilty for the crimes of murder or spreading mischief deliberately leading to the death of another.

Article 16 - While peace between all humans is desired, after a declaration of war, combatants who in the course of following lawful orders in accord with the rights and principles of this Declaration kill another combatant or inadvertently kills despite due diligence a non-combatant shall not be held liable for murder.

Article 17 - In time of war or peace, any human whose actions or inactions intentionally or carelessly leads to the death of a non-combatant or a combatant who has surrendered or is incapacitated or a non-combatant shall be held liable for murder even if done under order and any person issuing such an unlawful order shall be equally held liable for causing murder by spreading mischief.

Article 18 - All humans have the right to choose who may or may not reside in their homes and thus without their free and uncoerced consent in time of peace no soldier shall be quartered in their homes nor in time of war but in a manner prescribed by law.

Article 19 - All humans have the rights to recognition everywhere as humans before the law.

Article 20 - All humans are equal before the law which is an expression of the general will and shall be in accord with the rights and principles of this Declaration, and all humans have the right to contribute personally or through their chosen representatives to the formation of any law to which they are subject, and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law especially any in violation of this Declaration or incitement to such violation.

Article 21 - All humans who are citizens of a nation shall be equally admissible to all public dignities, places, and employments, according to their capacity and without distinction other than that of their virtues and their talents.

Article 22 - All humans have the right to an effective remedy by the law for acts violating the fundamental rights granted humans by this Declaration and by law.

Article 23 - Human liberty means the law can only forbid actions harmful to human beings and anything which is not forbidden by the law cannot be impeded and no human can be constrained to do what it does not order.

Article 24 - All humans have the right to be secure in their persons, homes, papers, and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures, and no warrants shall issue but upon probable causes supported by oath or affirmation and particularly describing the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized.

Article 25 - No human shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention, or exile.

Article 26 - Any warrant for arrest of a human must enumerate the charges of any penal offence against that person and every human has the right to be informed of any and all such charges.

Article 27 - No human shall be subject to excessive bail nor excessive fines.

Article 28 - All humans are entitled to full equality in a speedy, fair, and public hearing by an independent and impartial court, in the determination of their rights and obligations and of any penal offences.

Article 29 - All humans charged with a criminal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which they have had all the guarantees necessary for their defence.

Article 30 - No humans shall be compelled in regard to any penal offence to be a witness against themselves.

Article 31 - All humans accused of a penal offence have the right to confront witnesses against them and to have a compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in their favor.

Article 32 - No humans shall be held guilty of any penal offence for any act or omission which did not constitute a penal offence at the time when it was committed nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time a penal offence was committed.

Article 33 - No human shall be subject to jeopardy of life, limb, or other punishment twice for the same penal offence.

Article 34 - Every human has the right to citizenship in a nation and no human shall be deprived of citizenship in their nation nor denied the right to change their citizenship.

Article 35 - Every human has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state and the right to leave any state and to return to their state.

Article 36 - Every human has the right to seek asylum in another nation from persecution but not in the case of prosecutions for non-political crimes or acts contrary to the human rights and principles of this Declaration.

Article 37 - Humans who have reached adulthood have without regard to ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status, the right to marry and are entitled to equal rights in freely entering marriage only with full consent, equal rights during marriage, and equal rights to dissolution of marriage.

Article 38 - All humans have the inalienable and sacred right to start a family and to have children as desired and able, without regard to ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status. No law shall penalize humans for having and raising children nor otherwise infringe on this human right nor coerce or force abortion or sterilization for any reason nor penalize those who do not agree to such procedures.

Article 39 - No human shall be coerced or forced to commit suicide or allow another to take their life for any reason regardless of ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status.

Article 40 - Every human has the right to freedom of conscience and religion including the freedom to change religion or belief and to worship, practice, and teach their religion alone or in association with others whether in public or private. No human shall be forced or coerced to act contrary to conscience or their belief but neither shall any creed or religion be used as justification to violate or deny human rights and in particular those enumerated in this Declaration.

Article 41 - Every human regardless of ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status, has the right to express and practice their own culture and identity as they see fit regardless of the traditions or cultures of those in their community, though this right shall not be construed to in any way justify violation or denial of the human rights of others and in particular those enumerated in this Declaration.

Article 42 - Every human has the right to freedom of thought, opinion, and expression without interference and to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas through any media and across national borders regardless of ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status.

Article 43 - Every human has the right to protection from slander and libel and false statements or writings proven thus in a court of law shall be publically corrected. Any person who is proven in a court of law to have known such slander or libel to have been false prior to or at the time of public pronouncement may be held accountable and the right of freedom of expression shall not bar prosecution under the law for such knowingly false statements or writings.

Article 44 - Every human has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association and no human may be compelled to belong to an association.

Article 45 - Every human has the right to take part in the government directly or through freely chosen representatives.

Article 46 - Every human has the right to express grievances or petition their government without fear of retribution.

Article 47 - The will of the human citizenry shall be the basis of the authority of government and shall be expressed in free and regular elections by secret vote with universal suffrage.

Article 48 - Every human has a right to access to water, food, clothing, shelter, and medical assistance regardless of ancestry, nationality, sex, thought, opinion, conscience, and religion.

Article 49 - Every human has the right to seek work, to free choice of employment, safe work conditions, and equal pay for equal work regardless of ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status.

Article 50 - Every human has the right to seek support from the government of their nation in the event of unemployment, disability, widowhood, and old age.

Article 51 - Every human has the right to form or join an association for workers to protect their interests.

Article 52 - Every human has the right to rest and recreation, including reasonable relief from working hours and holidays with pay.

Article 53 - Every human in childhood and their parents have the right to assistance from their fellow humans regardless of ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status.

Article 54 - Every human regardless of ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status, has the right to free education in childhood and access to a university education on the basis of merit. Parents have the right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children so long as that education fosters the full development of the human personality and respects human rights especially those enumerated in this Declaration.

Article 55 - Every human has the right to learn about and share in scientific advancement and its benefits regardless of nationality.

Article 56 - Every human has the right to patent or copyright creative works, discoveries, or inventions for a period of time as regulated by international law and allowed to license their use so long as such licensing is offered without ancestry, birth, sex, affections, nationality, language, religion, political or other opinion of conscience, property, or other status.

Article 57 - All humans are entitled to the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration and nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying the denial of said rights and freedoms by any nation, group, or person.

Article 58 - The enumeration of certain human rights by this Declaration shall not be construed to deny or disparage other retained human rights.

Last edited:

Nice updates Glen!

I notice that several of the above points echo closely portions of the OTL, and, from what you've mentioned previously, I'm sure the TTL, US Constitution. The Constitution is a powerful, influential document indeed. I also noticed a few points on things such as rights to raising a family and prevention of suicide. All of them seem very fitting as counters to the Malthusians.

Lastly, I noticed what I feel to be grammatical errors in the last post. Do you mind if I point them out?

Very comprehensive, and shows how much more "progressively" liberal mainstream thought is ITTL in many parts of the world. The crazy thing about the Population War is that, with the exception of a few obvious exceptions pointed at them, the Malthusian Manifesto governments would agree with the great majority of those 58 Articles -- yet the world is locked in a potentially apocalyptic war.

Glen

Nice updates Glen!

I notice that several of the above points echo closely portions of the OTL, and, from what you've mentioned previously, I'm sure the TTL, US Constitution. The Constitution is a powerful, influential document indeed. I also noticed a few points on things such as rights to raising a family and prevention of suicide. All of them seem very fitting as counters to the Malthusians.

Lastly, I noticed what I feel to be grammatical errors in the last post. Do you mind if I point them out?
Go for it - the editing was a beast as I was having computer issues and it was like one in the morning - I will likely do a revision of it at some point - both for making it read better but also as I feel some things could be tweaked some more but I was afraid I'd lose the whole post.

Glen

Very comprehensive, and shows how much more "progressively" liberal mainstream thought is ITTL in many parts of the world. The crazy thing about the Population War is that, with the exception of a few obvious exceptions pointed at them, the Malthusian Manifesto governments would agree with the great majority of those 58 Articles -- yet the world is locked in a potentially apocalyptic war.
Thanks

A few decades before the intelligentsia of those nations would have agreed but they've shifted to believe that saving the planet is more important than the rights of the individual and that all else must take second place to that imperative, including the old dictum of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness

Glen

Wow, only the early 1900s and this world is already more progressive than ours.
Lol! Not really though in a few areas they are far ahead of OTL - but many of the sentiments in that document are actually those of classic liberalism and have their roots in the 18th century.