Status
Not open for further replies.
On August 5th the world was a very different place. Washington's efforts to regain control over breakaway republics and various nations sliding towards American ultra-liberalism were very clearly off the top priorities list of Moscow. Even recently partitioned Switzerland realised this had at least as much impact on their lives as the recent war had. Ottoman citizens who had watched mushroom clouds rise across the border knew two things were coming: radiation and refugees. The nations of Asia sat watching to see if India could hold together. Indonesia turned its eyes towards Australia, fearing mushroom clouds over their own nation now that India might no longer support them. Oil prices skyrocketed. As did food prices as the world feared a nuclear winter and massive food shortages in both regions.

(The series has almost hit the present, so I thought I might as well finish it.)

So how is Australia and the US feeling? Happy that the two powers wiped each other out (or at least badly injured each other) or are they scared that it happened?

And will Australia be looking for payback against indo?

The continent of Africa as of 2162 in my science fiction universe.
Africa 2162 alt col 3.png

Alright, here's edition number 2 of my South American Great Powers series that I started! (Also, look who owns the Falkland Islands :p) Now for Argentina:
Imperio Argentina.png

An 80s Dystopic World. The United States and the Soviet Union have survived World War 4 (with world war 3 taking place in 1946 between the two), and now they face off across the melted Arctic Ocean. The technology to construct ICBMs was lost in World War 4, making the Arctic vital to any war effort. There is one problem; three states- the Graham Republic, the Realms of the Atom-Kings, and the State of Alert block them from fighting directly with one another.

Cue0umk.png

Dementor

Banned
It's a well-known phenomenon where as living standards rise, birth rates drop off. The United States could have easily grown to around 800 million by this time in OTL, but instead it leveled off just after WWI.
True, but this phenomenon doesn't take into account what would have happened if there was suddenly an enormous free space to expand in.
And the US still grew more than three times since WWI. This hardly looks like leveling.

As for the actual mechanics, I used a negative exponent for the growth rate with a time constant of 111 years, so the birth rate halves every 77 years. It's a fairly crude approximation, but it works when it's only a 125 year timescale
But what about countries with a negative natural growth rate

Quite a way to finish the series! Thanks for the good read and maps!
It's not done. I'm just reviving it to get in the last decade or so.

It'd be interesting to see the world after the Nuclear War. :)
We shall.

So how is Australia and the US feeling? Happy that the two powers wiped each other out (or at least badly injured each other) or are they scared that it happened?

And will Australia be looking for payback against indo?
The US has shrugged and celebrated commodity prices going up. Communism suffering is a good thing in their books.
Australia is disappointed that Red India didn't nuke Mecca and get the ensuing massive Muslim backlash. Still, it took pressure of them now that India has to rebuild, so that's a plus.

A new map inspired by several things, such as: Look to the West, 1984, Code Geass, Decades of Darkness, For Want of a Nail, and other things. The American Revolution was defeated, its surviving members going to exile in France, which lead to quite different and much more succesful French Revolution that evolved into the European Revolutionary Wars - Britain was briefly invaded, which caused Parliament andd the Crown to flee to America. Around 100-ish years later, a Cold War rages between the European Confederation of the United States, and the British-American Empire; a Cold War that could into the first World War at any moment now, with tensions flaring all over the world.

c1IJpwr.png

True, but this phenomenon doesn't take into account what would have happened if there was suddenly an enormous free space to expand in.
And the US still grew more than three times since WWI. This hardly looks like leveling.
It leveled from 3% per annum to 2% per annum, and that's including immigration. When you exclude immigration, the US's natural growth rate fell from a high of 1.7% in 1947 to just over 0.4% today.

And virgin earth is not exactly "free space," since you have to build and develop the land, establish infrastructure, and so on; most people in first-world nations wouldn't want to move until development reaches a certain point.

But what about countries with a negative natural growth rate

I split birth and death rates for all countries. Birth rates are increased in external territory while death rates stay the same. As a result, the tapering behaves as it should even when death rate is higher than the birth rate.

If a country had a death rate more than twice the birth rate, that might cause the model to misbehave, but no countries fit that criterion.

And virgin earth is not exactly "free space," since you have to build and develop the land, establish infrastructure, and so on; most people in first-world nations wouldn't want to move until development reaches a certain point.
By Canadian standards the US is 'free space'. Compared to trying to tame the swampy frozen Canadian North it's a cakewalk, and yet plenty of people move to the rugged frontier to follow well paying mining jobs and the like.

By Canadian standards the US is 'free space'. Compared to trying to tame the swampy frozen Canadian North it's a cakewalk, and yet plenty of people move to the rugged frontier to follow well paying mining jobs and the like.

And those are included in the model; it's assumed that every year on average, 1 in 1,000 people pick up and leave everything to go to newly-developed external areas. This is about in line with emigration to the US from Britain during the colonial era. It's true that in recent times transportation technology has improved, but that's a two-way street: if transportation is so easy, there's nothing to stop people from moving back to more civilized areas if they decide roughing it isn't for them, or if their contract is up and they decide not to renew. Ultimately, the behavior of people in groups under novel circumstances is unpredictable, and this is just my interpretation of what I think is realistic.

hGvwL.png

BdYq4GG.png

For a few days I've been working on this map, it's pretty obvious that it's an ISOT of the United States of America to virgin Earth. This map is set 30 years after the ISOT. In addition to the "regular" color scheme key, the very light shade indicates sparsely populated land. I'll probably make a version where instead of surviving, the USA ends up collapsing instead as well.

An 80s Dystopic World. The United States and the Soviet Union have survived World War 4 (with world war 3 taking place in 1946 between the two), and now they face off across the melted Arctic Ocean. The technology to construct ICBMs was lost in World War 4, making the Arctic vital to any war effort. There is one problem; three states- the Graham Republic, the Realms of the Atom-Kings, and the State of Alert block them from fighting directly with one another.

Very cool. So I'm seeing communist governments in Alaska, Northern Canada, and Quebec, and some sort of capitalist government in Eastern Siberia- how did that come about? Also unified western Europe- some sort of EU?

Oh, and "The Realms of the Atom Kings" should be a band name.:evilsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.