Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

grumf-3.png

Ethnic banner of the non-arsenic based sentient lifeforms of Grumf-3. The flag follows the normal pattern of being trifurcated despite the lack of the usual number of legs amongst the natives.

The Colonial Authorities designed the banner with the planet's ocean's colour in mind, although as the natives' eyes are incapable of perceiving K'ga'zmar Blue, that exact shade is perceived as something called "red" by them. Despite repeated requests to change it, so far nothing as been done to address the problem due to the cost involved in changing the flags and the fact that only a minority of the interstellar community has any problem seeing it correctly.

I'm not entirely happy with my creation, but I think that's as close as I can get with my idea, so it's going to be posted soon.

The Dark Forest

At last, mankind learned beyond any shadow of doubt that we are not alone in the universe. Unfortunately, the answer to Fermi's paradox turned out to be the Dark Forest theory.

Just one look at the alien ships made it very clear that fighting was not an option. Those who tried, found out that any attacks with conventional weapons simply went unnoticed. Either by bravado or stupidity, nuclear weapons were then used.

This at least drew a response. By an unknown process, all nuclear weapons and nuclear power plants on the planet were melted into a grey goo. From there on, the same would happen at any time when someone tried to construct anything involving a critical mass of radioactive materials. The nuclear age was officially over.

A century later, the aliens and their aims remain completely inscrutable. No human has ever seen one. The fact that all their work on Earth's surface has been carried out by robots has led to the theory that all of them are robots - but that theory is only as good as any other.

The aliens have shown almost no interest in governance. Most of the nations that existed before contact still survive, although massive conventional wars that erupted after the destruction of nuclear weapons have changed borders and wiped smaller states off the map.

They clearly gather some sort of resources, but our human knowledge cannot find any sense in it. What was the point, for example, in turning the entire City of London into a world's largest open-pit mine? The resulting refugee crisis almost collapsed the European Union again.

The only reason we know that they are even aware of us is the flag, the cruel joke that it is. This flag flies from every installation they have erected on Earth's surface. The engraving from the Pioneer plaque mocks the idea of contacting other civilizations and the canton is clearly designed after those of the old empires here on Earth.

If the double star in a pink sky is a clue to the aliens' homeworld, it is the final jest. For they know that mankind can never make use of even that tiniest shred of information about them.

T3.png

The Human Members of the Unity

In 1702 The People removed the despotic King Imperial Edward VII [1] of the House of Somerset and established The Commonwealth. For some 50odd years The Commonwealth had expanded across the Earth under its banner of Blue, Red, & Green, and slogan of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity. Then the extraterrestrial force known as the Unity arrived
The Unity crushed all opposition and declared they had perfected the Light that humans had dimly perceived:
Liberty – All freedoms are gifts of the Unity
Equality – All shall be regularly tested and a place found worthy
Fraternity – All that think shall be in Unity
Humans proved themselves uncommonly zealous in their service to Unity and so the multispecies organisation granted their human members the freedom to display a flag.
The allowed flag consists of a 2D representation of the Unity symbol [2], black on white, over a tricolour of Blue, Red, & Green. It represents the Light as perceived by (natural) humans through the prism of Unity

[1] King of England, King of Ireland, King of the Netherlands, King of Scotland, Prince of Brittany, Prince of Normandy, Prince of Wales, Emperor of the Overseas Dominions
[2] A tetrahedron within a sphere
Unity3Sc.png

Last edited:
Not bad guys! Today is still open for submissions! Since we have three flags I'm not allowed to extend the window for submissions, so get it in while you can!
although if everyone wants me to extend the deadline, i suppose i would have no choice but to yield to the will of the masses...

Not bad guys! Today is still open for submissions! Since we have three flags I'm not allowed to extend the window for submissions, so get it in while you can!
although if everyone wants me to extend the deadline, i suppose i would have no choice but to yield to the will of the masses...
Ok, everyone's got until Xanthoc wakes up to post a last minute entry :p

A quick entry inspired by the Stargate SG1 movie, Continuum. In this alternate timeline (of an alternate timeline) Ba'al's plan to travel back in time to destroy Earth's stargate long before the humans figure out how to use it goes off without a hitch. In addition, this alt Ba'al figures that it really isn't wise to keep around any of the traditional ancient system lords, let alone promise them (or their replacements) any land on Earth. He conquers Earth with few real issues, and rules it as its supreme overlord. His rule would be considered relatively lenient by goa'uld standards, even allowing a sort of toothless planetary government under him, but it was seen as less than ideal by the humans themselves.

The banner that is flown all over the planet shows the mark of Ba'al over a pyramid, with the sun in the background.

Inspired by a remark by one Jack O'neill, some of the remaining pockets of resistance in the United States have adopted a simplistic red ghost as their symbol, in mockery of what they like to call the "Tattooed Pacman" flag.

PMJREI2.png

Last edited:
The Dark Forest
What was the point, for example, in turning the entire City of London into a world's largest open-pit mine? The resulting refugee crisis almost collapsed the European Union again.
FWIW, the City of London is just under 3 square kilometres in area with a resident pupulation of less than 9,000.

untitled_by_gottfreyundroy-daetin9.png

The International Organization for the Science of Eugenics- I.O.S.E.

Founded in the wake of the disastrous "Mengele Incident", IOSE was founded to establish standards and ethical practices for Eugenicists the world over. Initially, the IOSE was a small-scale organization, meeting once a year in a different city. They elect a Council and a Chairman, and then they propose alterations to the IOSE Covenant of Ethics- the crux of this were things like humane methods of abortion or putting down the mentally over-feeble, and how to legally and safely administer sterilization. However, as time went on, IOSE grew beyond a simple ethics and oversight organization. It become the dominant society for debating Eugenical theory, and a public health institution, advising governments on how to administer their Eugenics programs.

As it grew in scope, it adopted the IOSE Flag. Six stripes represented the Six Fundamental Principles of Eugenics. Six stars represented the Six Races of Man- the Malayan, the Black, and the Red races on the bottom, with the Yellow and Semitic races slightly higher up, but all of them eclipsed by the great star of the White Race. A laurel wreath represented the peace and prosperity that Eugenics would promote. A caudecus set in a pyramid represented their medical profession. The pyramid is crowned by a Compass and a Ruler, fundamental tools in Cranial Measurement. In the center is an all-seeing eye, representing how the Eugenecist must remain ever vigilant in weeding out inferiority.

Eventually, IOSE was integrated into the New League of Nations, and established offices and Eugenics Camps from Roosevelt City to Germania to Peking. National and official IOSE Eugenecists work for peace, freedom and the integrity of their race.

Since Marc forgot to post it here as well, here's the new challenge:
FLAG CHALLENGE #150: Better Genes

In a world where eugenism became not only acceptable but something seen as a public health issue, you must develop a flag from an international "Society for the Betterment of the Human Gene pool" (or similarly named entity) charged with coordinating policies across their national affiliates.

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 28 August 2016
Voting Period: 29 August - 4 september 2016

For more details on general rules, click and read the FIRST PAGE

Alan Hardy

Banned
Olympic Society for Human Improvement... Formed circa 2021.

Ratio 1:2. Grows out of the Olympic Movement after it gets too involved in the whys and wherefores discovered in the case of the South African runner Caster Semenya and her rare condition that produces too much testosterone. Initially directing that all competitors are to be DNA tested, the vast depth of data gained studying the baseline genomes of all entrants to the Tokyo games of 2020 is such that the IOC decide to offer with the athletes co-operation, to those families who need, or want a better standard of offspring without significant random hindrances. Over the coming years the "Society" effectively allows the breeding of a eugenically enhanced sector of the human race that is very able in many respects to assist the development of the human species as a whole.

Last edited:
Earth Goodfamily Organization
Originally a division of the Earth Health Organization, now an independent department in the Earth Government. It was formed in the wake of the Second Great War in 1945 with the rest of Earth Government. Its mission was to sterilize those with inferior genes, particularly those with barbaric tendencies to prevent another mass war. In the past few years the organization has reformed its definitions to include displaying views contrary to the organization's mission as proof of inferior genes.
World Genetics Organization.png

Global Health Association
Formerly known as the International Initiative for Human Advancement, and prior to that as the World Health Organization's Nephilim Initiative, the Global Health Association (G.H.A.), was formed after the implementation of mandatory eugenics programs in most of the world. Genetic screenings, augmentation, and experimentation are all regulated and overseen by the GHA in its member, which includes the majority of United Nations. In more progressive states where sterilization has become legalized, the GHA acts as the final authority on the allowance of sterilization on a case by case basis, handled by the GHA's Committee on Sterilization and Eunichization. Before becoming an organ of the UN and replacing the WHO, the GHA was simply the advocacy group and international coordinator for eugenics in a myriad of nations as several WHO and independent scientists began championing the cause in the wake of the terrorist-caused Gundremmingen, Zaporizhia, and Gravelines meltdowns that caused rampant mutations and diseases across much of Europe and the world as the radiation spread rivers and into the Mediterranean. The Nephilim Initiative soon grew, and the International Initiative for Human Advancement (IIHA) soon became a prominent global force. With the passage of eugenics in the United States following the detonation of several dirty bombs in St Louis and Portland, the GHA was founded, absorbing the IIHA and WHO. It is headquartered in the Francis Galton Medical Facility, built over the former nuclear power facility on Three Mile Island, Pennsylvania.

The flag of the GHA is based on the flag of the WHO. It bears a stylized fusion of a DNA double-helix and a caduceus, whose use is justified in that, as it functions partially as a medical symbol, the true aim of the GHA is "to herald and shepherd Mankind into a better and brighter future via species-wide improvement." The red stripe, often tied to human blood, is meant to symbolize the loss of life before eugenics, as well as acting as a distinguishing marker of the organization as one of medicine, much like the defunct Red Cross.

EugenicsFlag.png