Collaborative Project: Lets Build A Planet (All Welcome)

What shall we name this world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd personally deal with biomes, vegetation, fauna and shit before saying what the names of regions are and the cultures

Major rivers in the Norther Continent:

Building an Earth-like World II rivers.png

I'd personally deal with biomes, vegetation, fauna and shit before saying what the names of regions are and the cultures
That's a good point. Even after biomes, vegetation, and fauna we should do culture before naming anything to a extent. After all cultures are what end up deciding the name of the region.

That's a good point. Even after biomes, vegetation, and fauna we should do culture before naming anything to a extent. After all cultures are what end up deciding the name of the region.
I would do elevation first and remove/re-add all the rivers, then biomes, flora/fauna, and then culture. Each one effects the next one.

What if we name the planet Sbornaja or something more Russian/Slavic-sounding? Or would you rather use Asgard or something from Old Norse as her name? I think she will be quite a bit cooler than Earth if we do not specifically increase the temp.

I'm fine with Sbornaja or Croatoa, but I'd stay away from Norse or Greek names. They're a bit cliche. Also, before we get too far, let's not forget plate tectonics. If we want, we can just scrap it altogether (some planets don't have tectonic plates).

I have found two more good names for this, likely cold, world: Atka ("guardian spirit" in some Inuit language) or Atkonartok (name of a god that lives on land and controls the movement of whales). I think we should really stay away from Latin, Greek, and any hot-sounding names. The world has lands en masse, most of them around the two poles, will be cold(er) and pretty dry, and so, I find an Inuit- or Native American-themed world building project/name for the planet good...

The most fitting Inuit name for a planet at all would of course be Tekkeitsertok (God of the Earth, most powerful God). Or what about Oomailiq (leader of a boat, captain)?

However, I didn't really want to propose Irdlirvirisissong even though it's meaning ("demon cousin of the moon") might well fit to this planet.

The main river in the northern (or southern) continent would of course be called Umiaktorvik (just meaning "river").