Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I get the feeling that Russian's Götterdämmerung is nearing?

Well the update before last more or less said Stalin is going to die some time in the next year or so.

The fuse is winding down and to paraphrase James Coburn from Duck you Sucker, "When he goes, they'll have to rewrite all the maps"

Certainly so. Wonder how the middle east will if the west is more eager to intervene in the affairs of foreign nations.

Well, it's not that the west is much more eager than OTL ( just ask Persia) but only that the player are different; a success on Suez mean that France and British influence in ME is still strong while Nasserism will be dead in the water and so the local population will need to rally around other ideology.
American support mean that France (or better De Gaulle) will not feel the need to go alone and leave NATO command structure (on the other hand we can see a perception that the EDC will be the most important part of the european military infrastructure, expecially if the UK is bring in as planned).
Israel at this stage can easily continue to be more a Anlgo-French ally than an american (Israel was and probably be a little too far left for ITTL USA...but with the second holocaust it will be very.... let's say impolite to attack it or not support them)

Well, it's not that the west is much more eager than OTL ( just ask Persia) but only that the player are different; a success on Suez mean that France and British influence in ME is still strong while Nasserism will be dead in the water and so the local population will need to rally around other ideology.
American support mean that France (or better De Gaulle) will not feel the need to go alone and leave NATO command structure (on the other hand we can see a perception that the EDC will be the most important part of the european military infrastructure, expecially if the UK is bring in as planned).
Israel at this stage can easily continue to be more a Anlgo-French ally than an american (Israel was and probably be a little too far left for ITTL USA...but with the second holocaust it will be very.... let's say impolite to attack it or not support them)

Can't disagree with on Nasserism dying in the crib so to say. Although I disagree on France because De Gaulle only came to power with the creation of the Fifth French Republic out of the Algerian Crisis, not to mention his 'France First' pitted him against European Intergration of any kind since it diminished France's influences. So it seems reasonable that the fifth Republic will be butterflied away along with his presidency.

Can't disagree with on Nasserism dying in the crib so to say. Although I disagree on France because De Gaulle only came to power with the creation of the Fifth French Republic out of the Algerian Crisis, not to mention his 'France First' pitted him against European Intergration of any kind since it diminished France's influences. So it seems reasonable that the fifth Republic will be butterflied away along with his presidency.

Depend on how the situation in Algeria goes and De Gaulle was against a supernational body, not closer collaboration between european states...and France already signed the European Defense Community treaty meaning that the cat is alrady out of the bag; with the URSS being this way i seriously doubt that there is much incentive in standing alone ITTL.
ITTL De Gaulle (if come in power) can probably decide that becoming a big fish in a middle size pound is much better of the alternative

Depend on how the situation in Algeria goes and De Gaulle was against a supernational body, not closer collaboration between european states...and France already signed the European Defense Community treaty meaning that the cat is alrady out of the bag; with the URSS being this way i seriously doubt that there is much incentive in standing alone ITTL.
ITTL De Gaulle (if come in power) can probably decide that becoming a big fish in a middle size pound is much better of the alternative

And don't forget that the combined might of Western Europe could give France a better chance at keeping Algeria.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it. Because that sounds like something that only benefits France.

It also benefits the other European nations, by containing the communist encirclement of liberal democracies- the last thing Western Europe needs is more hostile psychotic communist dictatorships in her backyard.

It also benefits the other European nations, by containing the communist encirclement of liberal democracies- the last thing Western Europe needs is more hostile psychotic communist dictatorships in her backyard.
Oh really? They have evidence the rebels actually ARE Commies? Proof that isn't from the French?

To prevent Algeria from becoming communist and continue the Soviet encirclement of the European capitalist bloc?

It will be difficult to involve the rest of Europe directly in that colonial war...indirect and logistical aid, it's much more probale and frankly by this stage, everyone (included De Gaulle) except the hardliner, know that Algeria is gone...the most favorable agreement that Paris can get due to the different situation is keeping Oran and Algeri (and maybe Bizerte in Tunisia with a Guantanamo like agreement as a naval base).
Sure many will be displeased on both side, but i think that everyone can live with it

Stalinism is set to become popular in the Arab world - what a world ITTL is!
The Soviet Holocaust killed Communism in the West, while Stalin's battle with China has seriously damaged it in Asia. The Middle East is basically the one place where people really don't care about either of those things, and thus they can support Stalin as a counterweight against the West.

The Soviet Holocaust killed Communism in the West, while Stalin's battle with China has seriously damaged it in Asia. The Middle East is basically the one place where people really don't care about either of those things, and thus they can support Stalin as a counterweight against the West.

And Stalin's anti-Semitic pogroms would find strong support among the anti-Zionists due to the Arab-Israeli Conflict.

So communism could actually take off in the middle east, I feel like your TL is a bomb waiting to explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.