Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Look at the Horrifying-Large Balkan-Punk Reality I call "Broken World". Spain, the Middle East, Russia, and Everywhere else not on the map still WIP.

This is a project as impressive as it is ambitious. I can't even fathom how long it must have taken to draw up that alliance map. Simply out of curiosity, have you considered a possible POD for this grand mess?

A map I made of the Commonwealth of New England if Cromwell was exiled there:

The PoD is that Parliament resists Pride's Purge and turn against Cromwell's New Model Army. Joining forces with the Royalists, Irish Catholics, and Scottish Covenanters the moderate members of parliament are successful in defeating Cromwell, though his life is spared as he and his army are exiled to the Puritan colony of Massachusetts in 1651. There he proclaims a new commonwealth, naming himself Lord Protector, and starts to conquer the remaining British colonies in the area. He even manages to conquer New Netherlands and partitions New Jersey with Sweden.

Decades after Cromwell's death his legacy lives on as the New Model Army of New England continues its conquest against the native people, which are now backed by English and French arms as these monarchies fear the spread of this Republican power. With a population 132,000 strong, an abundant supply of iron and wood, and a thriving fishing industry this Commonwealth is slowly growing to be the strongest power in all of North America.

This is...super awesome

I think the crazy amount of support that Cromwell enjoyed in New England is one of English/American history's best-kept secrets, and I think this sort of scenario is great and surprisingly plausible (poor Covenanters, by the way - so much more in common religiously with Cromwell, but also, he's not exactly tolerant, religiously speaking...)

I do wonder about making a common cause with the Swedes, though. Conquering the New Netherlands, sure, but New Sweden was barely more than a fort at the mouth of the Delaware when the Dutch sacked it in 1655 (slight hyperbole, yes, but not far from the truth); the population was probably never more than 500, and Peter Stuyvesant was able to take the colony with some 300 men. It's true that OTL the population of Swedes and Finns picked up somewhat under the Dutch, but all in all it seems unlikely to me that Sweden would invest in the region enough to make it more worth Cromwell's while to ally with them instead of just conquering them. Unless Sweden is aiding him somehow with Europe? Plus the Swedes are Lutheran, which to Cromwell was probably just as bad as Anglicans or even Catholics.

If anything, I would expect the Puritans to basically march south until they hit Royalists (which could well happen in central Jersey, I guess - though New England at the time has a strong population advantage over Virginia and Maryland; stopping the New Model Army short of Baltimore will probably require a lot of support from England).

So, I was wandering on the thread of old MotF contests, and I saw one where you had to make a map, from a given basemap, and I got inspired, so here's 2 hours of work:
1464018567-great-war.png

America’s still not big enough.

I think I found an old doc that describes what is happening. Essentially, Britain captures Normandy and Brittany from France during the Napoleonic wars. Shortly afterward, America and Britain go to war again. Canada is conquered, again with French assistance (using the combined French/Spanish Armada). Canada becomes a nation within the US, internal affairs and politics and all that.

The Canadian Prime Minister holds essentially an equal position to the President (think the early christian church. President = Pope "First amongst equals"). While technically of Higher rank than the VP, the PM has no authority or role within America. Canada is basically a super state and the PM is essentially a department head who also wields supreme control over all of Canada. Australia-New Zealand, and South Africa join this union later. The Democratic Republican Oligarchy of the United States has five nations within it. The United States of America elects the President, Vice President is selected by President. Canada votes for ministers who select their Prime Minister who sits beside the President. Australia does the same, New Zealand as a part of Australia. South Africa elects their President through popular vote, Deputy President is elected through the parliament. All four national leaders are seated with the Cabinet of the President of the United States. The Fifth National leader is the President of the Amerindian Reservations. Canadian and American Reservations each send representatives of their tribes/nations to a Federal District equivalent to Washington DC within the Navajo Nation Reservation. They elect their President in a caucus styled election. This President sits with the other national leaders and represents all native peoples of North America.

Liberia, the Philippines, Marianas and Guam, as well as the whole of the Caribbean are a part of America. The Federated States of Micronesia, Palau, and the Marshall Islands are all Nations of Free Assosiation. Japan, Brazil, Great Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Ukraine, Greece, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Ethiopia, the United Arab Emirates, Sweden, Israel and the Republic of Taiwan are all allies of the United States. Iraq, Afghanistan, South Vietnam, and South Korea are all allies with perpetual basing agreements for military personnel (think OTL South Korea).

View attachment 275469
  • POD is that the Spartacist Revolts in Germany are more successful, leading to Germany being transformed into a Spartacist State, with the exception of Prussia and the German Colonies in Africa.
  • The remaining Entente troops in the trenches are receptive to the Spartacist message, and many troops defect to the Spartacist side. The Spartacists are able to seize land in France up to the Seine River, however Paris remains under French control. The 3rd French Republic is overthrown and the 4th Republic rises, which is very fascist and autocratic.
  • Efforts to defeat the Soviets in Russia work better, considering the Whites are able to see the consequences of a Red Victory. Poland still fights the Soviets in the Ukraine, creating puppet White/Ukrainian State in Western Ukraine, which is in practice a Polish staging ground for a future project for the Poles to eliminate the Russian threat.
  • The Ottoman Civil War drags on longer, due to British and France troops leaving the Middle East to fight the Spartacists. The Spartacists support a communist faction, which results in a communist faction controlling the majority of the former Ottoman Empire, with the United Kingdom controlling other parts of it.
  • North Europe coalesces around Sweden, creating an alliance system to defend itself against the Fascists states of Europe and the Union of Spartacist states.
  • The Seinite states under France are gearing up for a war to liberate Western Europe from Communism, meanwhile in the rest of the world, powers like Japan eye on the European Colonies, and other nations such as Brazil are financing smaller scale conflicts.
Could you use larger font in the map, its kind of had to read the descriptions x:

This is...super awesome

I think the crazy amount of support that Cromwell enjoyed in New England is one of English/American history's best-kept secrets, and I think this sort of scenario is great and surprisingly plausible (poor Covenanters, by the way - so much more in common religiously with Cromwell, but also, he's not exactly tolerant, religiously speaking...)

I do wonder about making a common cause with the Swedes, though. Conquering the New Netherlands, sure, but New Sweden was barely more than a fort at the mouth of the Delaware when the Dutch sacked it in 1655 (slight hyperbole, yes, but not far from the truth); the population was probably never more than 500, and Peter Stuyvesant was able to take the colony with some 300 men. It's true that OTL the population of Swedes and Finns picked up somewhat under the Dutch, but all in all it seems unlikely to me that Sweden would invest in the region enough to make it more worth Cromwell's while to ally with them instead of just conquering them. Unless Sweden is aiding him somehow with Europe? Plus the Swedes are Lutheran, which to Cromwell was probably just as bad as Anglicans or even Catholics.

If anything, I would expect the Puritans to basically march south until they hit Royalists (which could well happen in central Jersey, I guess - though New England at the time has a strong population advantage over Virginia and Maryland; stopping the New Model Army short of Baltimore will probably require a lot of support from England).

Thanks for liking my map so much! I spent a lot of time making it and the background as well to make it plausible and interesting.

Yeah New Sweden is probably the most implausible part of this map, I forgot that they were conquered in 1655 by the Dutch as I only remembered that the English conquered Delaware in 1664. Also due to the fact that none of the issues of the English Civil War were solved by just exiling Cromwell the conflict would still be flaring on and off throughout the second half of the 17th century they wouldn't be strong enough to take it over.

And as for the alliance between Sweden and New England I just wanted to give them one ally as New England would likely want at least some European power to help counter the British. And while the Dutch are probably the closest to the Puritans religiously I wanted Cromwell to capture New Amsterdam so I just went for the next non-hostile colonial power, Sweden.

So, I was wandering on the thread of old MotF contests, and I saw one where you had to make a map, from a given basemap, and I got inspired, so here's 2 hours of work:
Nice map. :)
I suggest a small correction: where it reads "Reino de Novas Açores", it should be Reino dos Novos Açores".

Here's another one I've been working on for a while: a cover for "Tripartite Alliance Earth", a world of the ITA (Interdimensional Transit Authority) created by Randy McDonald (website here http://rfmcdpei.livejournal.com/)

This is a broadly "convergent" TL: although divergences begin with the end-of-the-Napoleonic wars negotiations, the general progress of History is fairly similar, with Germany rising under Prussian leadership, the UK grabbing stuff all over, and the US expanding to the west coast, while in the 20th century there is a WWI in the wake of which a Russian Soviet state arises, and a WWII in which Germany plays a leading role.

However, details differ. South America did better at modernizing and industrializing, especially after 1900. The US has a rougher time with its internal politics from the late 19th century on, the end of Napoleon III sees France move back to (constitutional) monarchy, Britain has a bit less success in the colonial game and the French a bit more, Hitler is a blond with an eyepatch [1] :closedtongue: and Egypt manages to avoid falling under European dominance. Japan is never allied to Germany, and the US never gets involved in WWII in Europe (where Germany still goes down, although at the cost of even more Russian casualties), instead fighting a limited-scope war with Japan in which Japan loses its continental holdings and has to pay through the nose reparations-wise, but holds onto Taiwan and avoids direct occupation.

Things really diverge sharply after WWII, with the US becoming increasingly authoritarian and internally divided, and the Soviets have a civil war in the 60s, leading to the establishment of a separate hard-line regime east of the Urals and a more moderate one in the European parts. (A band-aid in the form of an all-SSRs Union was created, but there essentially were two Soviet Unions) Come 1981, tensions rose between a US-backed block of right-wing SE Asian regimes and the hardline communist alliance of China and Soviet Siberia (may include central Asians, and nuts): things were not helped at all by the US was led by a truly rabid anti-communist by the name of Elizabeth Chang, a high functioning sociopath with the less pleasant attributes of Trump and Sarah Palin carefully covered with a veneer of respectability and a belief in the value of military tension as a means of enforcing control at home.

In 1982, the balloon went up, and before long nukes began to fly. The war spread to the European part of the USSR and India, and when President Chang found herself facing impeachment, launched a final damn-the-torpedoes attack on China and Siberia, although not before threatening to attack other major powers that did not aid the US in the Defeat of Communism, and actually launched a spray of missiles at Europe and Japan after they told her to (albeit more politely) get stuffed. (Fortunately, this TL was rather more advanced than our own at this point, and the existence of pretty high-quality space and ground based anti-missile systems meant Japan lost only 4 million people and Europe less.) Similarly, these anti-missile systems meant results were merely horrible rather than entirely unspeakable, and human civilization did not die out in the northern hemisphere.

Postwar, thanks to a low-level nuclear winter combined with the collapse of international trade for a while, much of the globe is devastated by famine where it has not been already devastated by bombs and fallout. Tens of millions of refugees are on the move. A new international order emerges under the leadership of the League of Nations (a more successful organization than OTL) and three major powers, or the Tripartite Alliance: the European Confederation (already a more centralized union than OTL's EU, and becoming more so as a result of the struggles to deal with the post WWIII horrors), the South American Community (a looser grouping, but largely untouched by WWIII), and the Empire of Japan. All three absorb huge numbers of refugees, which in the case of Japan proves rather socially disruptive, but in the long run allows it to avoid the demographic quagmire OTL Japan is mired in. Huge areas of devastated Eurasia are taken over by international forces under the aegis of the League of Nations. A number of nations, Japan in particular, do some non-league-of-Nations-approved expanding, but under the circumstances nobody really objects that much. The northern two thirds of Africa, much of which as OTL had become dependent on imports of food, fuel, etc., is particularly hard hit by famines, and suffers from a considerable population shrinkage in spite of not being hit by bomb one (however, the horrors of the post-war status actually help consolidate African states in the long run: massive population movements have mixed together and homogenized populations, and smaller language groups and ethnicities have diminished in importance in comparison with state-wide common languages).

Although some of the charred edge bits of the USA were taken over by other states, much of the US remained unoccupied by the League or anyone else, as the US civil war triggered by President Chang's refusal to step down slowly dragged on. It would not finally come to an end until Tripartite Alliance world is contacted in 1998 by the multi-timeline association known as the Interdimensional Transit Authority (ITA). After the initial failed effort at a takeover by ITA Bad Boy Holy Alliance World (The Tsar-Emperor is supreme on three continents), a more beneficial relationship was established, and an end was brought to the US civil war with a combination of carrots and (rather large) sticks. Remaining "Presidential" hardliners migrated to an empty North America of their own on a human-free world, and peace finally came to the globe, although Tsarist (and later alt-Soviet) meddling left Russia more fragmented than ever. Tripartite Alliance World is now a full ITA member and the future is looking fairly bright.

[1] Kidding.

I figured I'd just post my latest map in here since if I posted all the maps I've made since I was banned I'd take up a whole page. :p Anyway, hope you all enjoy and if you want to see what else I was up to feel free to check on my artwork thread!

The Land of Eternal Twilight

A request for Tardis218. Colonial Swedish names by Anton Larsson.

This map shows a world in which Sweden, following the Thirty Years War, managed to hold on to its status as the premiere power in northern Europe, playing Poland and Russia against themselves to remain in control of the Baltic in almost every way. Now, hundreds of years later in the mid-20th century, Sweden rules an empire across the world, from North America to the Pacific Islands. It is a rich and powerful empire built on trade within and without the empire of the many goods Sweden manufactures, farms, or mines.

The Swedish Empire, however, is interesting in that it is not an empire in the traditional sense. Technically, Sweden is still a kingdom and all lands, no matter where they are, are as much a part of Sweden as Stockholm is. Rather than colonial possessions or separate parts of government, Sweden's colonies have a say within Sweden's parliament. This has led to a greater mixing of peoples throughout the Swedish Realm, with Africans and Pacific Islanders being found all around the Swedish metropole while European Swedes can be found in the Gold Coast, Comoros Islands, and elsewhere.

Interestingly enough, this system, while good for a colonial power, will ultimately be the downfall of the Swedish colonial empire in the latter half of the 20th century. Educated men (and women) from Africa and Ceylon during the time period this map is set in will later come back to their homelands with a better idea of how to lead their people, and thus eventually free them from direct Swedish rule. Many former colonies, later in the century, will remain somewhat tied to Sweden, however, like the Commonwealth of our own world.

In the early-to-mid 20th century, the odd man out, though, is New Sweden. It straddles the line of colony as it is technically part of the North American Confederation, a very loose group of former English, French, Dutch, Spanish, and Swedish colonies in the New World that have banded together to form a single entity. Due to the loose nature of the confederation, New Sweden retains certain relationships with the metropole, and is thus often considered part of the Swedish Realm. With nearly a million Swedes having migrated to New Sweden from 1850-1900 alone, it is little wonder why New Sweden is still so tied to its mother country.

If you enjoyed this map and want to help support me and get this stuff quicker and with exclusive bonuses, donate to my Patreon!

request___the_land_of_eternal_twilight_by_toixstory-da0z392.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.