Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Upon consideration, the Pakistan bit bothers me: Islamic political fundamentalism was hardly as powerful, or as radical, as it is today in the 1950s. Groups like Isil are the results of the failure of secularism over decades, the examples of other successful revolts, and in the case of both Isil and the Taliban in Iraq, foreign invasion and occupation leaving a hollowed-out, illegitimate state in their wake. Did the Indian reds try cultural genocide out on the Indus region Muslims, or something?

Anyhoo, here's a commission for they-know-who-they-are. :)

RomeWorld.png

Murica!.png

inspired by the work of Bruce munro, also I have created the great america.

Simply, the United States won the War of 1812 against the British.

in 1848 the United States occupying Mexico, making it a satellite state. it is also the case for Cuba in 1898. Also taking the panama canal.

Today, the United States is an economic and military superpower.

A scenario I've made.

The Great Experiment Failed

• The name of this universe refers to the apparent disappearance of republicanism as a major ideology on this world. There are a few "republics", like Kansas, Deseret, the Boer states, and Switzerland, though the fairness of their democracies is questionable. The most legitimate successor to the United States, the Kingdom of America, is a constitutional monarchy. Very few people oppose the monarchy.
  • The POD of this universe is indeterminate. History appears to gone as OTL up until the outbreak of the American Civil War. Britain and France supported the Confederacy from the start, which led to a quick victory and the dissolution of the United States. Britain took some land while the Confederacy grew very large. The CSA helped France subjugate Mexico.
  • The Confederacy broke apart in the late 1870s. France, Spain, and Mexico pounced on it, carving out their own protectorates though Spain and Mexico took land outright. Britain and Mexico continued their expansion throughout the US remnants as the 19th century wore on. Belgium was handed the "Virginia Free State" in 1898 after slave rebellions wracked it and drove it into bankruptcy.
  • Two rival systems of alliances appeared by the early 20th century. The United Kingdom forged a strategic alliance with Germany, and by extent Italy, which put them against the Franco-Austrian alliance. Russia aligned with the Anglo-German alliance because of their clashes with Austria in the Balkans. There were several crises that almost dragged the world into war.
  • The Grand Alliance and Pact of Paris, in a rare show of cooperation, allowed Britain to occupy vast portions of the Middle East as the Ottoman Empire collapsed in a civil war in 1917.
  • China is a modernized power and is looking pretty scary with its large army and loyal population.
  • By 1935, Britain is decaying. Though its subjects would find it hard to believe, the far-flung territories of the empire are just becoming too hard to manage.
  • The world stands on the brink of war. The rival alliances are engaged in a seemingly everlasting arms race with no end in sight. Everyone knows war is coming, but no one knows what will set it off.
expfailed2-png.275376

A scenario I've made.

The Great Experiment Failed

• The name of this universe refers to the apparent disappearance of republicanism as a major ideology on this world. There are a few "republics", like Kansas, Deseret, the Boer states, and Switzerland, though the fairness of their democracies is questionable. The most legitimate successor to the United States, the Kingdom of America, is a constitutional monarchy. Very few people oppose the monarchy.
  • The POD of this universe is indeterminate. History appears to gone as OTL up until the outbreak of the American Civil War. Britain and France supported the Confederacy from the start, which led to a quick victory and the dissolution of the United States. Britain took some land while the Confederacy grew very large. The CSA helped France subjugate Mexico.
  • The Confederacy broke apart in the late 1870s. France, Spain, and Mexico pounced on it, carving out their own protectorates though Spain and Mexico took land outright. Britain and Mexico continued their expansion throughout the US remnants as the 19th century wore on. Belgium was handed the "Virginia Free State" in 1898 after slave rebellions wracked it and drove it into bankruptcy.
  • Two rival systems of alliances appeared by the early 20th century. The United Kingdom forged a strategic alliance with Germany, and by extent Italy, which put them against the Franco-Austrian alliance. Russia aligned with the Anglo-German alliance because of their clashes with Austria in the Balkans. There were several crises that almost dragged the world into war.
  • The Grand Alliance and Pact of Paris, in a rare show of cooperation, allowed Britain to occupy vast portions of the Middle East as the Ottoman Empire collapsed in a civil war in 1917.
  • China is a modernized power and is looking pretty scary with its large army and loyal population.
  • By 1935, Britain is decaying. Though its subjects would find it hard to believe, the far-flung territories of the empire are just becoming too hard to manage.
  • The world stands on the brink of war. The rival alliances are engaged in a seemingly everlasting arms race with no end in sight. Everyone knows war is coming, but no one knows what will set it off.
SNIP
An interesting world, but the what's with the curving border in Africa?

Looks like the website is finally working for me again, so here's the latest map I've been working on for a while now. The scenario involves a certain alien bat leading the Romans to global domination... there's more detail on the dA page itself.

Fantastic work, moxn. I find the style of the map and the borders of the provinces, dioceses, and prefectures quite aesthetically pleasing. Even if this ASB is a power-hungry imperialist, at least he had the good taste not to draw a horizontal line from Minnesota to the Pacific and make it a national border. My only border-related question is about the division of the Sinai peninsula. Why does the European Prefecture contain all of the Mediterranean coastline except for a small strip of land in Sinai, which belongs to South Asia? It's not necessarily a bad decision, but it has me curious, especially since that coastline doesn't appear to have a major port city. If it was given to South Asia as part of a compromise, I imagine that whoever agreed to the treaty would seek to capitalize on South Asia's token Mediterranean port in order to create the sentiment that the treaty had not been in vain. On the other hand, the city near OTL Poti, Georgia does provide South Asia with a port on the Black Sea, which may or may not change the dynamics of the Europe-South Asia relationship. I hope that doesn't sound too nitpicky. I trust that you have good reasons for drawing the borders as they are, and my reasoning might be completely wrong.

As for the map's style, I have nothing but praise. I always like it when cartographers use variations of a color to designate multiple layers of subdivisions, since it prevents the need for multiple styles of borders. Also, I'm absolutely thrilled that the map shows key rivers and roads as well as borders, without in my opinion ever looking ambiguous or overcrowded. For a long time I've dreamed of creating a map that could show each of those things at the same time, and now that I've seen such a perfect execution of the idea, I might feel inspired to give it a try. Finally, I think the choice of white for cities in stead of the conventional black or red is brilliant. It really makes the map feel alive, and drives home the point that while borders may be invisible from space, cities certainly are not. This is an incredible piece of art that has really brightened my day, so thank you for sharing it with us.

Best wishes,
Miranda

I've loved this series!
What are things like in Russian-backed Scotland?
Is Brazil considering doing anything with their European holdings?
Is there anywhere where you could live a "good" live by OTL standards?

Scotland is a democracy, though some of the southern English bits have some questionable election results. Unemployment is fairly high with de-industrialisation though. For the average person on the street OTL living conditions would only be marginally better.
Brazil is doing quite nicely, they managed to avoid OTL's slide to militarism and are one of the world's more functional democracies. They're not perfect, but they're considered a major power rather than 'tomorrow's major power' like OTL keeps saying. Also they're a fair bit more industrialised with higher living standards.
As for 'good' living standards, there's a few options. If you don't mind a pseudo-fascist regime and you're white South Africa or Australia are pretty good. If you've got a good spot in the party the USSA is nice. Some of the bigger Russian cities, the Baltic, eastern Poland, Ukraine, and the eastern Balklans are doing quite nicely, and the Ottomans are improving. If you're Muslim and don't mind a religious focused dictatorship then Egypt isn't too bad. Korea is coming along nicely. New Zealand is decent. This world's best does lag a bit on the best, but most places are closer to it than OTL.

Hmm. Upon consideration, the Pakistan bit bothers me: Islamic political fundamentalism was hardly as powerful, or as radical, as it is today in the 1950s. Groups like Isil are the results of the failure of secularism over decades, the examples of other successful revolts, and in the case of both Isil and the Taliban in Iraq, foreign invasion and occupation leaving a hollowed-out, illegitimate state in their wake. Did the Indian reds try cultural genocide out on the Indus region Muslims, or something?

It's mostly a relic of the pseudo-Fascist period of British occupation. Throughout the 1920s to 1940s secular options grew less appealing as the British occupiers grew more racist. Various rising stars on any independence or reform movement frequently found themselves locked up. By the time the 9 Years War started the bulk of the subcontinent was a tinder box kept from bursting into flames by fear, and as soon as there was a sniff the British were vulnerable fighting began. Nasty reprisals (sort of on par with the German response to partisans on the Eastern Front) further fueled hatred for all things European and foreign. Then the Communists had a nasty habit of burning Korans and sacking Mosques because 'good communists are atheist' and more accurately as many of the Hindu soldiers with the Reds felt the Muslims had lived better under the Raj than them (and some Muslim groups did sack Hindu temples, possibly first). Then the Egyptians started showing up trying to tell the Pakistani authorities how to run things (Egypt wanted a maleable state) and the few moderates who felt bowing to Egypt was an acceptable temporary situation until Pakistan was back on its feet were purged by angry mobs and radicals.

And then as with anything there was some (bad) luck involved where charismatic radicals pulled of surprising morale boosting wins here and there causing others to flock to them.

Kinda just made this quickly as we don't have that many depictions of the Melbourne, Australia area and I was bored. I could add to it if anyone is interested.
Victoria.png

French Siberia
This looks awesome, but wouldn't there be more autonomous zones in Siberia if it were run by the French, since the while the Russians only had to cross the Urals, the French would have to cross the entire earth to get there? Or is that part of the POD?

1968: Liberal President Rostik Nikolaev visits China and Red India. The Word War's balance shifts massively in the months surrounding both visits. Despite this success in foreign affairs the Nikolaev presidency is still rocked by controversies surrounding the 'Great Migration'. As young Russian families grow rich enough to buy a home in the suburbs (usually rowhousing, but single family homes are present too, bungalows and ranch houses not so much) poorer minorities move out of the often corrupt ethnic homelands into the now emptying and cheaper inner cities of the big cities. To counter this outflow of population many of the warmer southern homelands start sending out feelers to Russian retirees and young families looking for cheap housing (and companies looking for regions without strong labour unions, and often also weaker regulations). Some of the smaller homelands quickly become majority Russian by the end of the 1960s. Unfair policing towards minorities also becomes an issue (especially in Moscow), however Russian minorities are somewhat placated when news leaks out of the USSA.

The sudden death of President Irons under somewhat shady circumstances (he was 67, but in good health) and the speed at which certain members of the Party move to secure the succession causes a lot of raised eyebrows for those in the know. Many inner party members who had not been informed of this pseudo-coup attempt to launch a counter coup and a number of back alley purges occur in the upper and middle ranks of the party. It's nothing too odd, similar events have occured in other dictatorships, but what sets it apart is the racial undertone that gets noticed. The plotters who removed Irons weren't that racist, but had excluded a number of blacks in the upper party and the ensuing power struggle effectively removes most of the blacks and hispanics from the upper party. Protests over the issue brake out in Atlanta, Savanna, and a number of southern cities. The army was sent into both the New Africa Republic and the New Mexico Republic, using primarely forces from outside the two protesting republics. Most protesters retreated at the sight of tanks, but after a deaf man was shot when he couldn't hear warning shouts Birmingham explodes into a full rebellion. The international community loudly codemned the use of chemical weapons during the pacification of the city, but the USSA effectively sneared at the world. A number of African nations were put off by the event, however most shrug and see it as just how a state is run (who hasn't burnt down the occasional village afterall? The USSA just has better weapons than AR-52s* and machetes).

Also of note is the 1966-1968 Red Indian** invasion of Pakistan gets actual approval from global society. Pakistan was a disaster no one else wanted to invest in the cost of cleaning up. Delhi was willing to bleed the half a million soldiers it took to end the nightmare. Unfortunately many radicals who shouted so loudly about the glory of dying for their ideals scattered in the wind as Reds secured the Indus. Bangladesh and the Malay peninsuela received the bulk of them, and Bangladesh had enough issues to collapse into civil war as 1968 drew to an end. Others went to Africa, where they found a fertile audience of anti-White locals who saw Egyptians (and other Arabs) as a shade or two too light for their liking (never mind that the Pakistani preachers were usually just as pale or paler).

In good news England was freed of occupation after selling off a few of their scattered holdings. Italy and Hungary have both returned to the global fold more peacefully and totally. A coup attempt in Iran by Communist hardliners failed comically (and would later be turned into a movie by Turkish filmmakers for just how embarassing it was), quickly shifting that nation to a democracy in response. They're nominally pro-Russian, but mostly just want to be left alone. Moscow has also announced a plan to land a man on the Moon by 1975, the Americans stating they'll match every moon landing.

*This world's 'AK-47'. Like the AK-47 a good 80% of weapons refered to as such are later models.
**I just realised this would confuse some comparing with Amerindian people. Oh well, it's not like Belarus stopped the non-communists in Russia from calling themselves Whites...
reversecold.png

Red River, Iron Cage.png

• POD is that the Spartacist Revolts in Germany are more successful, leading to Germany being transformed into a Spartacist State, with the exception of Prussia and the German Colonies in Africa.
  • The remaining Entente troops in the trenches are receptive to the Spartacist message, and many troops defect to the Spartacist side. The Spartacists are able to seize land in France up to the Seine River, however Paris remains under French control. The 3rd French Republic is overthrown and the 4th Republic rises, which is very fascist and autocratic.
  • Efforts to defeat the Soviets in Russia work better, considering the Whites are able to see the consequences of a Red Victory. Poland still fights the Soviets in the Ukraine, creating puppet White/Ukrainian State in Western Ukraine, which is in practice a Polish staging ground for a future project for the Poles to eliminate the Russian threat.
  • The Ottoman Civil War drags on longer, due to British and France troops leaving the Middle East to fight the Spartacists. The Spartacists support a communist faction, which results in a communist faction controlling the majority of the former Ottoman Empire, with the United Kingdom controlling other parts of it.
  • North Europe coalesces around Sweden, creating an alliance system to defend itself against the Fascists states of Europe and the Union of Spartacist states.
  • The Seinite states under France are gearing up for a war to liberate Western Europe from Communism, meanwhile in the rest of the world, powers like Japan eye on the European Colonies, and other nations such as Brazil are financing smaller scale conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.