I've neglected commenting on this somewhat lately, but I thought I'd pop my head in and say how much I'm still enjoying it.

I'm enjoying the less linear, more biographical nature of recent updates; it makes a lot of sense given the context of the framing storyline (few people will have vast tomes on military or political history on their shelves, but many of them will have biographies), and changes things up a bit after four volumes of 'academic' style updates.

Will Volume V focus solely on the Long Peace, or do you intend to get on to the Pandoric War in this one?

Also, any more artistic-based updates planned for the future - say, music or fashion?

I've noticed this construction pop up a few times in these biographical pieces, along with rumination on more explicit allohistorical scenarios.

Does Societism suppose a natural progression of events — someone would've invented Societism even if Sanchez had burned along with his childhood house — while Diversitarianism favors a kind of non-Whiggish chaos? Or is it more an example of how the public ITTL seems to be better versed in their own history compared to OTL, so it's easier for authors to drop in these off-handed hypothetical as rhetorical devices?

As I recall, a different delineation of genres means that AH is more mainstream - thus, more people are wondering out loud about such hypotheticals.

Thande

Donor
I've neglected commenting on this somewhat lately, but I thought I'd pop my head in and say how much I'm still enjoying it.

I'm enjoying the less linear, more biographical nature of recent updates; it makes a lot of sense given the context of the framing storyline (few people will have vast tomes on military or political history on their shelves, but many of them will have biographies), and changes things up a bit after four volumes of 'academic' style updates.

Will Volume V focus solely on the Long Peace, or do you intend to get on to the Pandoric War in this one?

Also, any more artistic-based updates planned for the future - say, music or fashion?

Thank you Ed, and I will bear that in mind.

As this version of the Board is now coming to an end, for nostalgia's sake enjoy my first ever noobish AH idea thread from eleven years ago. I think we've come a fair way since then.

Thande

Donor
Sealion looks as plausible as, well, LTTW compared to that.

Thank you for the left-handed compliment :p

I am now going to go and play Tiberian Sun while we wait for the end, as it seems appropriate given the post-apocalyptic theme.

Thank you Ed, and I will bear that in mind.

As this version of the Board is now coming to an end, for nostalgia's sake enjoy my first ever noobish AH idea thread from eleven years ago. I think we've come a fair way since then.

Wow... Like... Wow...

I said, comments? :(

You were such a n00b-... I... It's like-... I can't even... The Great Thande who defines the forum itself once bumped a thread because no one paid any attention, so that-...

Like...

Oh, dear-... I-...

I'm going to have to lie down for a few minutes...

Thande

Donor
And we're back everyone. Do the tags still work? Probably not. I'll have to come up with other ways to do the formatting then

Or does it copy straight over from Word? Yes it does!

Well, that's that sorted. Anyway, normal service will be resumed shortly.

EDIT: The tags do still work as well so I can either do that or WYSIWYG. Nice.

Thande

Donor
I was really excited you just made an update to celebrate the Third Board. Darn it! :(
Well, I couldn't, until I knew how the new formatting worked, could I? :p

Rest assured I do have some ideas for new posts so they should be coming when I get time to write them!

Abhakhazia

Banned
Maybe I missed this, but was there a Czech nationalist revival in the beginning of the 19th century like there was in OTL? Because I couldn't see much pro-Czech nationalist outrage in regards to the Kulturkampf if Bohemia would have remained a largely German speaking place, with Czech looked down upon as a peasant language.

There was rising Bohemian nationalism in the first half of the 19th century, encouraged by unpopular decisions of the Habsburgs like ignoring the French soldiers aka Cougnonistes who were occupying Budweis and raiding other parts of Bohemia and Emperor Francis' anti-steam engine policy.

There was rising Bohemian nationalism in the first half of the 19th century, encouraged by unpopular decisions of the Habsburgs like ignoring the French soldiers aka Cougnonistes who were occupying Budweis and raiding other parts of Bohemia and Emperor Francis' anti-steam engine policy.

IIRC though it was at least partially German in character in and of itself rather than ethnically Czech.

IIRC though it was at least partially German in character in and of itself rather than ethnically Czech.

Very possible. The map depicting all revolts during the Popular Wars says 'Bohemian unrest' and not Bohemian or Czech nationalists, while in Hungary and Moldavia there are actual nationalists, not mere secessionists or random revolters.

Why would that discourage the Czechs?
The last rebellion against an unpopular German ruler was successful and still in living memory.
I suspect many German Bohemians would not like the centralizing and homogenizing policies of the Kulturkampf either.

Why would that discourage the Czechs?
The last rebellion against an unpopular German ruler was successful and still in living memory.
I suspect many German Bohemians would not like the centralizing and homogenizing policies of the Kulturkampf either.

It's more the terminology- a distinctly 'Bohemian' identity which emphasises German and grudgingly accepts Czech elements will not necessarily be considered in the same way by a text which is talking more about the specifically linguistic elements of the Kulturkampf on minority languages by an in TL source.

It's more the terminology- a distinctly 'Bohemian' identity which emphasises German and grudgingly accepts Czech elements will not necessarily be considered in the same way by a text which is talking more about the specifically linguistic elements of the Kulturkampf on minority languages by an in TL source.

In LTTW, Bohemian is (also) synonymous with Czech.
[10] Czech, or “Bohemian” in TTL, has a different transliteration scheme to OTL.

I don't think it is coincidence that the other group of German Slavs, the Sorbs are here better known as Lusatians with Lusatia being their home region.

Last edited:
Does this also apply to Moravian Czechs as well?

Apparently, they are called Moravians. Just like Germans and Austrogermans, Bohemian Czechs and Moravian Czechs are now distinct, separate groups.
There were four national Diets because, under the initial conception, there were four primary nations making up the Hapsburg dominions: ‘Austrogermans’, Hungarians, Romanians, and ‘Slavonians’, the latter being a catch-all term for all Slavic peoples within the empire—Moravians, Slovaks, Carniolans, Croats, Servs and more.[7]