TLIAW- A Mamluk Congo

Deleted member 67076

Timeline in a Week (ish): Mamluk Congo​

nEyKBiZ.jpg

Another timeline? But what about Renovation?

I got a bit of writers block. Wanted to see if doing something will get the creativity running.

Oh, so what's this about?

A Post Colonial Congo... in 1900 :D

Insanity.

Not exactly! There's a fun little window of opportunity for the Congolese to remove their shackles in a fun military revolt.

So? What prevents this from working instead of the myriad of other colonial revolts?

Its the unique way Congo's military was trained.

Alright, so they kick the Belgians out. Now what? What prevents Britain/France/Portugal from sweeping in and partitioning?

Authorial Fiat. And that no one wants to see the massive prize of the Congo go to a rival. And that the Congolese would be a tough nut to crack when its just easier to lease land and nibble at the edges. And that the Congolese soldiers were well aware of the money they could make from trading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when someone (you?) posted an exploratory question about this some time back. I don't know a lot about Congo history (I've read a few books but would never claim its one of the areas I know best), but I look forward to this with baited breath!

Deleted member 67076

I remember when someone (you?) posted an exploratory question about this some time back. I don't know a lot about Congo history (I've read a few books but would never claim its one of the areas I know best), but I look forward to this with baited breath!

I did! And thanks for the interest!

--------

In 1895 the first of what would be many military revolts in the Congo Free state occurred. Troops from the Force Publique- the state army- mutinied en mass in northern Congo after being forced to march to Sudan in an ill planned invasion attempt of Egyptian Sudan (Yes Leopold actually ordered the bulk of his army to conquer Sudan; he was that megalomaniacal).

As you can imagine, this invasion was a disaster from the start, with much of the army being composed of ill paid and supplied conscripts and mercenaries (usually from Arab influenced slave trade regions like Zanzibar, or Nigerians) with little loyalty to the state. And very little logistics to support them aside form raiding local villages for food alongside agonizingly slow and infrequent resupplies. Naturally, the soldiers were incensed, after it took little convincing from the higher ups (which amazingly were mostly black) to give up on a pointless quagmire in the making. Instead they decided to take what was seen as rightfully theres- Congo's vast profits. The mutiny was quick and brutal for the free state, as troops tried to push the Belgians out.

Historically however, these men were keen to squabble amongst each other, undermining efforts against the Belgians. Combined with exhaustion and a fresh batch of new military recruits from the then capital Boma, the Belgians were allowed to slowly yet surely regain the upper hand. Nonetheless, historically this rebellion took a full 4 years to squash, denied Belgian access to the Eastern claims for about a decade and was so expensive it was one of the major reasons for the later shift to mass resource extraction in the colony.

Yet suppose things go differently. Suppose someone- perhaps one of the charismatic officers (Of whom there were plenty)- manages to keep this makeshift army together long enough for them to reorganize and replenish (and by this I mean just mass looting the nearby villages to feed themselves) and decide to take the fight back to the Belgians. Organized and with a semblance of morale, these troops manage to push the border and slowly but surely (and with added material support from Arab patrons in Zanzibar eager to eliminate their rival) take over Belgium's trading posts and state presence in the Congo (which at this point was an ad hoc mess of one city doubling as the capital, a walking military industrial complex, some mission schools, a few dozen trading posts, and Colonial vassal villages/chiefdoms/"empires" dotted around the Congo river and Savannah).

Thus we have by 1897, Boma capitulating. The Congo river is once more back in native hands, and there is little the Belgians can do to contest them. Leopold by then would be bankrupt (he already was historically, spending almost 20 million of his own Francs on this project and needing the Belgian Parliament to bail him out; fortunately by that time rubber harvesting was in full effect) and unable to secure funds from the Belgian Parliament. In anger over this waste of money (Parliament didn't want to fund the Congo adventures for the most part), the king is unable to secure public funds to get an army to retake the colony, and is forced to stop trying as the bills add up. Nor would France help out as they've been in competition for that real estate for decades.

At the same time, there is a new new empire in the Congo, a major European trained and mercenary/conscript force would be in possession of about 17,000 now controls an area 3 times larger than France. Along with having the necessary training, robust semi feudal institutions (with local connections and integration) and access to funds via the ivory, mineral and rubber trade to keep much of the land under their control.

Which leads us to wondering, whats next? This would effectively be the second time in history a major Black revolt has kicked out Europeans and set up their own state. And what about Congo itself? How is this fresh new state going to be administrated, let alone run?

The answer lies is in (the rather unique given the Colonial administrations of the time) Congolese army. A large, well trained, decently educated and absurdly well armed professional force. (Thank you Leopold for spending 45% of your budget on the military)

Deleted member 67076

News of the Congolese revolt would spread like brushfire. While the number of white colonials was positively puny compared to nearly every other colony (a mere 3,000 Whites in the Free State by this time), that is still enough for word to spread quickly. Its only a 2 week trip from Boma to Antwerp after all. That means Europe will find out about this, and obviously will react to this astonishing set of news.

In the months to come some sort of Congress is to be held to determine the fate of Congo. Its simply just to big and too much of a potential goldmine to get away. (Its worth noting that yes, rubber and gold were known to be found in the Congo, but the specific deposits were not.)

Of the European powers, there are 3 primary actors that have the greatest to gain, and thus, will be the most active in attempting to determine the fate of Congo: France, Portugal and Britain. The former 2 want the mouth of the river and access to the very fertile and populated Bas Congo region, with its 5 million inhabitants; while the latter wishes to obtain the mineral wealth Katanga and the Great Lakes. But of course, no one (especially Germany) wants anyone to take any land from Congo, because that can tip the balance of power drastically.

Furthermore, there's also the problem of should partition be sanctioned, the natives themselves would need to be dealt with. And here is where it gets tricky- the Congolese Armed Forces are at this time, both very large (by colonial Standards), very knowledgeable on modern tactics and their terrain and best of all absurdly well armed. Seriously the guys had everything from Maxim Machine Guns to Krupp Artillery pieces to Bolt Action Rifles to obscene amounts of bullets and a couple of factories to resupply. Thank you Leopold, for spending over half your budget on the military, making any potential invasion a massive pain in the rear and just an expensive mess.

These are the main problems that cause initial hesitation amongst the Great Powers, and which lead them to tentatively accept the new status quo, as peace is preferable to a colonial war- ala the averted Fashoda Crisis. The powers that be agree to withhold territorial integrity- broadly speaking. Additionally, the powers agree with the excuse of "for the sake of free trade"; essentially in practice agreeing to withhold from fighting so long as all powers are allowed to trade and access the vast territory's wealth. The Congolese military-state would eagerly accept (not like they have any choice, and are well aware of what Europe is capable of).

Now begins a scramble for influence amongst the British, French, German, and Portuguese within the Congolese Republic. This of course, doesn't negate any future invasions, nipping at the edges at territory and blatant neocolonialism, but we'll get to that later.

The year is 1898, and Congo is mostly secured for native usage.

----

Thoughts?

So is Congo a monarchy or a republic?At one point you mentioned it's an empire with semi-feudal institutions but in today's update,you mentioned it as a republic.

Deleted member 67076

Glad to ya'll are enjoying this. :)

So is Congo a monarchy or a republic?At one point you mentioned it's an empire with semi-feudal institutions but in today's update,you mentioned it as a republic.

Its an empire in that this is an undemocratic state in which multiple ethnic groups and substates are forcefully integrated. But it is a republic in that there is no hereditary head of state.

Although the Republic of Congo does contain monarchies under its jurisdiction- a remnant of the Feudal institutions the Free State used to control such a wide territory. These range from small tribal polities no bigger than a few villages, to a massive eastern Sultanate.

Wouldn't the great powers still try to enforce low tariffs and extraterritorial rights etc?I am 100% sure that the Congolese are much weaker than Qing China and early Meiji Japan despite the stuff Leopold left.However 'well trained and organized' the Congolese are,I highly doubt they were anything better than Qing China,most likely even worst given they have no means of producing newer types of weapons(apart from the ones Leopold left,which would be outdated),the officers and officials would most likely be complete amateurs at best(since the whites were the ones who occupied these positions initially and the natives don't really have much experience in these fields),the government's completely feudal(even Qing China's better in this respect),the country has no sense of solidarity apart from being forced to huddle up at sword point and that the native population would be poorly educated(definitely worst than Qing China).

Last edited:
Some thoughts

I think its an interesting scenario.

I too would like to see a map, although I appreciate how tough it can be to make them.

I have a couple of issues, which shouldn't be seen as criticisms at all. Just observations:

1. Whilst you are talking about officers in the Force Publique becoming rebels, its important to remember that these were almost all white Europeans. Minor NCOs were Congolese (not that such an identity existed at the time) but many of the trained and experienced officers you are talking about would not have been on the side of the rebels.

2. Whilst you are right in pointing out that the FP had serious resources, much of its strength came from forced native levies who most likely have a loyalty to a tribe or region than the FP itself. Plus there is a difference between having these resources and having the infrastructure to utilise them in a poorly developed region of Africa.

3. You're new nation, based on the former FP, will need some sort of overarching identity to hold its ruling group together. There was no such (and arguably is still given the various states in the region) a unified Congolese identity so instead you will need to give them a socio-cultural identity that trumps tribal (for example) loyalty. Like the Mamluks had their own defined culture as former slaves, ethnic outsiders, and muslim warriors to work with in Egypt.

4. I think you are underestimating the ideological problem such a state represents in Africa at the time for the Great Powers. A successful rebel state that is de-facto accepted by the colonizers? It would be a signal to revolt for many African peoples and a source of intense anxiety for the colonizers. Plus the fact that the revolt came from within the auxiliary black units themselves - think how paranoid the British were in purging the Sepoys after the Indian Revolt in the 1850s. The fear that your own hirelings could turn on you would be too much to deal with.

Whilst obviously you need to allow some divergence to enable your state to exist in Africa, and I understand and sympathize with that, I would expect to see the Great Powers operate in much more cohesion than they seem to be here.

Anyway, these were just observations. I think this is a fun timeline.

Subscribed for its interesant premise.

The new state will have the following issues:
  1. How to make the civilians to adhere the new State?
  2. How to procure the ivory, rubber and ore needed to fund the State without angering too much the population?
  3. How will they attempt to catch up with the Western powers in order to not get invaded in a future war?

Moreover, since OTL the Congo Free State helped the Marchand expedition, I can conclude there will not be any Fashoda crisis, which could make France-UK relations different.

I did! And thanks for the interest!

The relevant thread is here.

Deleted member 67076

Loving this :)
Any chance we could get a map?
Thank you! I'll do one later as right now it wouldn't make sense. Everything's in this huge flux with really only the borders of the Bas-Congo province being stable.

Wouldn't the great powers still try to enforce low tariffs and extraterritorial rights etc?I am 100% sure that the Congolese are much weaker than Qing China and early Meiji Japan despite the stuff Leopold left.
Yes, they would and the Congolese are. Good news is Congo is just so damn big, this wouldn't stop them.

However 'well trained and organized' the Congolese are, I highly doubt they were anything better than Qing China,most likely even worst given they have no means of producing newer types of weapons(apart from the ones Leopold left,which would be outdated),the officers and officials would most likely be complete amateurs at best(since the whites were the ones who occupied these positions initially and the natives don't really have much experience in these fields),the government's completely feudal(even Qing China's better in this respect),the country has no sense of solidarity apart from being forced to huddle up at sword point and that the native population would be poorly educated(definitely worst than Qing China).
Actually, the weapon situation is completely up to date here. Leopold really spared no excuse when it came to the military. Building everything from military schools to some factories to feed the war machine (the factories are how he was able to equip new regiments to nest back the revolt historically IIRC).

Everything else is on point though. But thankfully Congo has 2 main benefits to rectify this: its got an insane amount of money, and an elite that recognizes the need to catch up and fast.
I think its an interesting scenario.

I too would like to see a map, although I appreciate how tough it can be to make them.

I have a couple of issues, which shouldn't be seen as criticisms at all. Just observations:
No problem with any issues on my end; feel free to point them out. I'm aware I'm walking on thin ice given the time period and logistical restrictions.

1. Whilst you are talking about officers in the Force Publique becoming rebels, its important to remember that these were almost all white Europeans. Minor NCOs were Congolese (not that such an identity existed at the time) but many of the trained and experienced officers you are talking about would not have been on the side of the rebels.

2. Whilst you are right in pointing out that the FP had serious resources, much of its strength came from forced native levies who most likely have a loyalty to a tribe or region than the FP itself. Plus there is a difference between having these resources and having the infrastructure to utilise them in a poorly developed region of Africa.

3. You're new nation, based on the former FP, will need some sort of overarching identity to hold its ruling group together. There was no such (and arguably is still given the various states in the region) a unified Congolese identity so instead you will need to give them a socio-cultural identity that trumps tribal (for example) loyalty. Like the Mamluks had their own defined culture as former slaves, ethnic outsiders, and muslim warriors to work with in Egypt.

4. I think you are underestimating the ideological problem such a state represents in Africa at the time for the Great Powers. A successful rebel state that is de-facto accepted by the colonizers? It would be a signal to revolt for many African peoples and a source of intense anxiety for the colonizers. Plus the fact that the revolt came from within the auxiliary black units themselves - think how paranoid the British were in purging the Sepoys after the Indian Revolt in the 1850s. The fear that your own hirelings could turn on you would be too much to deal with.

Whilst obviously you need to allow some divergence to enable your state to exist in Africa, and I understand and sympathize with that, I would expect to see the Great Powers operate in much more cohesion than they seem to be here.

Anyway, these were just observations. I think this is a fun timeline.
1. The FP had around 17,000 professional troops(not including mercenaries, usually Nigerians or Swahili or Arabs), yet there were only 3000 whites in the whole colony. Which means there had to be at least a decent number of black NGOs, at least initially (worth noting the Belgian Congo restricted advancement through the ranks for Natives). No where near enough to be as professional as we'd like, but enough to have a sense of military matters thanks to their schooling and field experience.

2-3. And this is where history becomes stranger than fiction. The FP basically became a new ethnic group in a generation, and one that is surprisingly coherent even today. You've got entire generations of Congolese military families that have loyalty to the military, instead of their traditional ethnic group.

This is also bolstered by the FP having immense prestige within the Congo itself (which allows for lots of willing recruits), and for the native peoples, the levy system was basically a way for the locals to get troublemakers and outcasts out of their way.

As for resources, this is where concessions are unfortunately going to come in. Development is expensive, but at the very least much more money will be spent back home rather than shipped abroad to Belgium alongside the Congo having double the people it had historically and with the native class of long distance traders coming back into prominence, which will allow for some non state development.

4. This actually a fun thing. If you can't trust natives than you have to ramp up the abysmally small yet super expensive colonial armies. That in turn lessens profits from colonialism, which has all sorts of fun discussions come up.

The thing about the lack of cohesion is one I'm going to justify with Congo being THE colonial prize. Everyone wants it and everyone has an interest in it which means they'll try to maximize their gains while limiting the others. Congo has freedom in this.
Subscribed for its interesant premise.

The new state will have the following issues:
  1. How to make the civilians to adhere the new State?
  2. How to procure the ivory, rubber and ore needed to fund the State without angering too much the population?
  3. How will they attempt to catch up with the Western powers in order to not get invaded in a future war?

Moreover, since OTL the Congo Free State helped the Marchand expedition, I can conclude there will not be any Fashoda crisis, which could make France-UK relations different.
1. Adapting the institutions of the previous Free state. Which is to say, feudalism, patronage and economic coercion.
2. Plantations. One of the most horrifying things about the Free State is that rubber quotas were made by forcing people to scavage around their villages, droving them to do risker and riskier things. Here the government will adopt a rubber harvesting strategy similar to that of Brazil: setting up plantations near centers of trade where they can be easily shipped to Boma. Henceforce rubber towns will be created alongside rivers and will actually be forced to pay their workers, along with the locals required forced labor. (40 hours a month IIRC)

Similar things will occur in the Savanna and Katanga near ore deposits.

Ivory is just a matter of resuming the native trade systems that existed for centuries.

3. Primarily by massively expanding and upgrading the military-industrial complex. The leadership of state just knows they need to upgrade their military to match the Europeans in both numbers and quality. Administration is somewhat secondary since the Army is the state, and thus soldiers will be used a bureaucrats until a support corps can be created for just state affairs.

In practice, lots of factories and military schools and roads.

Deleted member 67076

Now that the Congo is once more back in native hands, what are the opening moves of this state?

Well, domestically the Congolese army and their mercenary auxiliaries are (after looting the hell of the colonial offices to pay the troops) going to be in siege mode, fearful of any potential invasion from the Europeans, even after vague reassurances about territorial integrity. They have too many contacts with Western Africa to think otherwise. This means that their main aim is to ramp up the army size and military establishment dramatically.

This is far more doable than it actually looks due to a couple of advantages the state of Congo has.

Perhaps most critically is is that all that wealth from sales on raw materials that would otherwise be flowing out of the Congo can now stay at home and be used to pay for the Mamluk Administration and whatever projects the government wants, and that's a lot of money, even after the low tariffs and concessions. Its also diverse by default, with ivory, cloves, rubber and copper already being major commodities in place by 1895 prior to the revolt. Congo being quadruple the size of France helps with that.

Furthermore is that this new Caste is, for the standards of the day and place, well educated and disciplined. The Belgians essentially imported the Prussian military school system into their colony, and so the army won't be short on soldiers with the gifts of literacy in French, basic mathematics, basic logistics and a bit of political science. And the discipline of the army should help curb corruption a bit. Initial numbers would be small due to the limited numbers of teachers available, but as the years go by this will increase exponentially.

As well, there are 2 more benefits that the Mamluk government can use for its modernization plans. The first is that an early end to Leopold means an additional 10-13 million people aren't killed, and therefore available for the economy. In the short term, this is a greater pool of manpower for army recruitment and working the tribute, but in the long run as the economy grows increasingly more complex, this means more tax payers.

The second is primarily economical: native Congolese are no longer subject to colonial restrictions on their economic autonomy. Rather than having the riverine trade be dominated by Europeans (as natives were 'discouraged' to join in), once more the old system of network can start up, which thankfully, its still early enough that plenty of people remember how the old ways work. Furthermore, plenty of new jobs opened up. No worries on Leopold's stupid restrictions on how natives can't work in X land because its state property and such forth. This opens up massive amounts of jobs and economic activity, and creates links with all the other Colonial states to trade/smuggle. Even a small tax on plantations would be a massive boon to the state.

And now for the bad news that stack the odds against Congo:

The Army's greatest strength is also its weakness. That it is /the state/ means that it will need to be everywhere, much like the state is on paper. In other words, the Force Publique will now have to constantly be split, as administrators that would otherwise be officers are going to be reassigned as teachers, bureaucrats, managers and so forth. This shrinks available manpower (initially), and increases a reliance on mercenary forces from Zanzibar (or Nigeria or Sudan). Such problems will be rectified in about a few years or so, once the new batch of recruits are ready, but for the time being its bad.

Additionally, the economic situation is terrible. While yes I've previously said that Congo will have a booming economy due to the end of colonial restrictions and siphoning or profits, but at this point its starting from nothing. The Congolese economy was at this time basically a glorified tribute system. Trading posts would tell chieftains to pay taxes of either [insert material here] or men. There was little coinage and truthfully, little trade outside the rivers. This means taxation for the state is going to be virtually null, and the budget will have to come from either taxing people in cities, or customs revenue from European riverine trade, which will be put under pressure by outside forces to be as low as possible. That leads to the problem of smuggling and people not wanting to move to cities (initially).

Oh, and of course, that tribute system isn't going away. Rubber, Ivory and Minerals are what creates the wealth to print the money that pays the troops, so while the state isn't going to be as evil as the Belgians in resource extraction, its not going to be nice. Expect comparisons to Brazil or other Latin American countries in exploitation. Furthermore that tribute is going to be prone to abuse by local authorities, and there's not much Boma can do about it. Congo's just too damn big. But I guess the addition of that extra 10 million people (and growing, once basic modern medicine and farming start steadily flowing in) will be able to make up for it.

A silver lining is here though: Congo will have plenty of surplus labor that can further aid the supplementing of the economy. The birth pangs of industrialization, combined with agricultural improvements and half the population not dying in the 1890s leads to a very large labor force. Assuming European corporations don't hollow out the state and start running their own fiefdoms.

Oh and finally but most importantly is the problems stemming from the political sphere. Congo is a literal army with a state glued together with bullets and feudalism. Expect the utter domination of the state for decades on end by a Soldier caste that reigns supreme over hundreds of ethnic groups. Military dominance will mean the creation of a deep state just like in Egypt or Argentina. This privileged group, like all groups with power, won't be so keen to share. Expect conflict with the middle class and urban poor in a few decades as this new group of educated individuals, with radically different notions of religion, culture, autonomy and so forth clash with the establishment. But that's for later.

Now, what does all this add up to?

Ok, so this means we'll be seeing initially (i.e in the next decade) the state ramp up drastically its administrative-military complex, sowing the seeds of a deep state. Short term this means any infrastructure improvements will have to be private things, not state things (doable but small scale as it'll take a long while for anyone other than chieftains mobilizing the local tribe's resources to pay for whatever or missions setting up schools/roads/etc).

Expect the troops numbers to swell to at least 50-100,000 men plus whatever auxiliary forces come about by 1910 or so. And for some sort of homemade military industrial complex to grow in the Congolese cities to feed this army. Buying supplies is expensive and again, this is a caste that has people who have been to Europe and know how things work. Some European captain of industry is going to have the bright idea to set up shop in the Congo in exchange for some of that mineral wealth. So small scale industrialization to feed the vastly growing army, clustered around Bas-Congo and rivers that serve as the arteries of trade.

On the economic side of things we see a massive expansion, if only because there aren't 10 million people brutally dying, the economy is just /that/ simple, and the gatekeeper state isn't implemented. Short term, this is great, but mid to long term, we'll get massive problems.

Politically, all thoughts of democracy are out of the window. The guys who will run this Pseudo Republic are a closed off, semi elitist caste of military troops united not by ties of ethnicity or language, but by a common religion and common institution that they hold very dear to themselves. While yes, they'll still have massive ties to their villages and families, they will, like US military brats, see themselves as fundamentally different from the common people (and to be fair, they will be for the next few decades). This is something that happened historically actually.

The political system will be Mamluk soldier/administrators running a semi feudal system collecting tribute and taxes from the local statelets and tribes. Don't expect common laws other than a rationalization of business laws and common tariffs. In other words, this Congo is more like the bastard child of the EU and Burma than anything else. When the new generation of homegrown Congolese businessmen, doctors, industrialists, and so forth, who send their kids off to Europe for education come back, this will change. But for now it'll be pretty rough. Still leagues above OTL if only because the Free State was just that awful.

Deleted member 67076

Here's a small "formal" timeline of sorts, which I think visualizes things better.

-----

1895-97: Expulsion of the Colonial Regime through revolt. Establishment of a new Congolese state as the Force Publique assumes control of the Free State's duties and privileges. Initial plans are drafted to expand and further reform the military establishment in the hopes of preventing and defeating any potential European invasion. First birth pangs of Congolese Anti-colonialism.

1897: The European Great Powers convene on what to do in response to the Congo Crisis. It is decided non interference will tentatively be agreed upon, so long as 'free trade' is upheld. While the official reasoning is peace amongst the powers, the reality is that the borders of Africa are frozen to mutually deny any would be power the chance will carve up Belgium's loss while still allowing for access to the resources of the Congo.

The Congolese accept, (given they've no real choice) and commit to working on securing and improving the already tenuous domestic situation. Most noticeably, in the effort to maintain the east, Tippu Tip is once more re-invited to take up teh post as governor of the Oriental Province (and reign in any Zanzibari raiders), which he accepts as the new regime grants far more autonomy than the Belgians.

While officially governor, Tippu Tip is essentially given a kingdom to run as his own in exchange for feudal vassalage. The Great Lakes Sultanate is nothing more than a massive, glorified border march. Meanwhile, the number of army schools begins to drastically increase, as the Congolese attempt to ramp up the army size and the amount of equipment.

The tribute system is modified, emphasizing more recruitment of boys than ivory, though Europe's insatiable demand still nets in considerable profits.

1898: The Germans, British, Portuguese, Italians, Dutch and French start making inroads in the Republic of Congo, each attempting to gain influence at the court in Boma. The premature end of the Gatekeeper state allows them to set up new plantations, mining operations and factories while obtaining a new market for their goods. Similar to the spheres of influence in Central Asia, the European powers that be begin to carve out regions where they tend to focus much of their investment. Or at least they try to. Congo's lopsided population density and inaccessible terrain means the bulk of European interest is in Bas-Congo and the Congo river cities, where the Congolese have little difficulty playing them off each other for their benefit.

The one exception to this is Katanga, where British influence is paramount. A partial exception is Eastern Congo bordering German Tanganyika, but instead a new challenger arises in the face of Muslim merchant families within the Great Lakes Sultanate.

Of which, the establishment of the Great Lakes Sultanate by Tippu Tip causes a drive of many Arabs, Zanzibaris, Sudanese and other peoples traditionally involved in the Arab Slave trade to move in and serve as soldiers, traders and workers in exchange for land. The highlands of the East are no where near as inhospitable as the western jungles, and thus settlement here is far less concentrated than one would expect. German and British companies are often at a slight disadvantage here, as many of the Zanzibari here have contacts within the region and its peoples for decades.

Also in this year, the rubber boom resumes, giving the Congo an unprecedented source of wealth.

Decade of 1900s:

In response to fears of French, Portuguese and British encroachment, the Congolese Government-Military have begun to swing to the influence of the German Empire.

While not officially formalized, a de facto Congolese-German Alliance is formed. One notes that in this period the Congolese are far more willing to give concessions to the Germans, as their limited strategic position has meant the Germans are for lack of a better word, "nicer" in their dealings with the Congolese.

Both sides are aware of the situation, and attempt to take advantage of it. Many German officers are sent to teach at the Congolese military schools and German arms are sold to the Congolese, along with licensed versions of German small arms produced in factories in the burgeoning cities. That the military establishment was in fact modeled after the Prussian system allows for further deepening of cultural ties and increasing respect amongst the Europeans on the Army (although said respect is a patronizing, begrudging respect). Do note

Congolese Rubber boom: At this time, ivory is quickly becomign displaced by Rubber as the principle export within the Congo (although copper mining is quickly picking up steam). Thus one sees the establishment of many rubber plantations near the rivers to be harvested, and quickly shipped down to Boma for pickup to international markets. Thanks to this, what would be called Kisangani begins to boom as a town, becoming the "second city" of the Congo, after Boma.

Rubber, alongside ivory, tobacco, cloves and mining form the backbone of the Congolese export economy, and along with customs duties, are the governments main form of income for now.

It is due to this high demand for commodities, that the tribute system undergoes yet another shift, both being expanded to meet the greater demand for boys and moving to needing to providing a set amount of hours as corvee labor for the state, rather than simply meeting a quota of ivory/rubber/whatever. Such a move is highly unpopular and largely inefficient in meeting the needed demand, so a steady shift towards a wage based economy is forming. These wages, although abysmal are normally higher than what could be obtained in villages and grant access to the tiny yet increasingly important shopkeeper economy of the cities, where new wares and agricultural improvements begin to flow into traditional villages.

Combined with infrastructural improvements, willing migration to cities, and active resettlement policies, the population density of the Congo begins to grow even more. Do note of course that the main recipients of this resettlement are is in Central Congo, where the largest and most organized of the Pre Colonial States still exist and can occasionally resist the Army's demands.

And speaking of which, by 1910 the Congolese army would have swelled to around 100,000 - 200,000 or so men professionally trained soldiers by the military school system. Why so high? Because these men are also the bureaucracy of the state, being the people who are essentially the most educated in manners of state. Concurrent with this, the Congolese state presence swells dramatically. Wherever a military base is at, basic state functions are not behind such as roads, civil law, taxation, churches, state industries and so forth. This is absurdly expensive for the state and sucks up most of their budget, but it further reinforces Congo as a massive Switzerland and allows the people to breath easier. Please note the number above discusses just soldiers, not the administrative and support corps of the army, which in anywhere else would just be government agencies.

Likewise, use of mercenary troops swell. Liberia in particular becomes a popular source of men to draw on, being its close location, independent nature and poverty creates a situation of many men eager for wealth and glory, and an escape from the Amero-Liberian dominated state. Nigeria, formerly a major source of auxiliaries is no longer available as a source of soldiers, yet is replaced by Ethiopian and Sudanese recruits.

Deleted member 67076

This is neat, I'm eager to see more
Glad to see you enjoy this!
Are the soldiers indoctrinated into Islam to any degree?
Some would be, particularly those who would be mercenaries from East Africa or Zanzibari levies. But by and large the army is Catholic, as that is what the religion of instruction was during their time at the military schools.

And actually a pretty orthodox Catholicism as compared to the heavily syncretized countryside.

Glad to see you enjoy this!

Some would be, particularly those who would be mercenaries from East Africa or Zanzibari levies. But by and large the army is Catholic, as that is what the religion of instruction was during their time at the military schools.

And actually a pretty orthodox Catholicism as compared to the heavily syncretized countryside.

1. Given a Muslim is in a position of responsability in the OTL Orientale province, will Islam get more than the OTL 11% of population?
  2. Since they were also Protestant missions, is the Force Publique and the population solely Catholic?
  3. Lastly, how are their relation with the Holy See going?

Deleted member 67076

1. Given a Muslim is in a position of responsability in the OTL Orientale province, will Islam get more than the OTL 11% of population?
  2. Since they were also Protestant missions, is the Force Publique and the population solely Catholic?
  3. Lastly, how are their relation with the Holy See going?

1. Yes they will! Probably far more given there's an entire Muslim commcerical and landholding class being imported from Zanzibar and other places, who are Noe chafing under colonial rule.
2. Yes and no. Yes in that there are Protestant soldiers, but no in that the Mamluk caste that were educated by the state will be Catholic, as that's what the Belgians used.
3. I dunno, I want to say reasonably well but there's no real way to confirm that. Of course, the Church will mobilize its resources to make sure they aren't cut out of this fertile ground for evangelism, which might improve relations.