Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Your hard work paid off. I noticed that some of the elements, as OTL, are named after planets, which is a nice touch. And I'm glad with the news of future biological updates. Thanks for offering to add taxonomy to those updates, too.

What happened to Mendeleev in this timeline? Is he a vodka regulator?

Last edited:

Glen

Well, that certainly makes sense.

Glad to hear you think so!

It still looks strange, but I believe in many parts of chemistry a similar periodic table is used. Wish I remembered the name.

Yes - most share commonalities but I would be especially interested as to which you are thinking!

In any case, it's pretty similar to the OTL usual one,

I certainly hope so - the features of the elements should drive the organization both ITTL & IOTL!

with the largest difference being the place where the "break" is, and that is, of course entirely arbitrary.

It is somewhat arbitrary, true...

The lanthanides and actinides simply in the table makes sense too; the only reason they are (confusingly) not in line is because they would stretch the table significantly. When the actinides are completed, a similar problem will exist, so that row may be removed and placed elsewhere in some periodic tables. Of course that's not exactly important.

Yep

Hydrogen does not belong with the halogens because it may lose or gain an electron depending on the circumstances. While it can act as a halogen, it can also act as an alkali metal. I think, for the sake of plausibility, it should belong to neither as IOTL.

Actually in the otl 1920s and 1930s hydrogen went all sorts of places, including exactly where I placed it - I'm dating myself a bit but I even recall periodic tables in the 1970s and 1980s that still showed hydrogen there or other places. I'm sure by later in the century they will become more sophisticated.

Last edited:

Glen

Your hard work paid off. I noticed that some of the elements, as OTL, are named after planets, which is a nice touch.

Thanks! Several naming trends were already occurring within the time frame of thr POD so it made sense.

And I'm glad with the news of future biological updates. Thanks for offering to add taxonomy to those updates, too.

My pleasure.

What happened to Mendeleev in this timeline? Is he a vodka regulator?

Most likely not born or priesthood.

Glen

Presidents of the United States of America
  1. George Washington - Virginia - No Party Affiliation - 1789-1797
  2. John Adams - Massachusetts - Federalist - 1797-1805
  3. Thomas Jefferson - Virginia - Democratic-Republican - 1805-1813
  4. James Madison - Virginia - Federalist - 1813-1821
  5. John Quincey Adams - Massachusetts - Federalist - 1821-1829
  6. John Andrew Schulze - Pennsylvania - Democratic-Republican - 1829-1837
  7. Peter Buell Porter - New York - Federalist - 1837-1841
  8. Pierre Nicolas de Condorcet - Quebec - Democrat* - 1841-1849
  9. Benjamin Hull Kays - New Jersey - Federalist - 1849-1857
  10. Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt - New York - Federalist - 1857-1865
  11. Anthony Wayne Tullis - Ohio - Democrat - 1865-1868 (Assassinated)
  12. Barabas Lynch - Virginia - Democrat - 1868-1869 (Tullis' Vice-President**)
  13. Horace Napoleon Miller - Illinois - Democrat - 1869-1873
  14. John Bertrand - New York - Federalist - 1873-1881
  15. James Blunt - Ohio - Federalist - 1881-1885
  16. Erastus R. Bingham - Washington - Democrat - 1885-1889
  17. Alexander Poe - Maryland - Federalist - 1889-1897
  18. Steven Ladd - Pennsylvania - Democrat - 1897-1901
  19. Henry Bramlett - Missouri - Democrat - 1901 - 1909
  20. Grant Baxter - California - Democrat - 1909 - 1917
  21. Remy Aupaumut - New York - Federalist - 1917 - 1925
  22. George Washington Vining - Michigan - Democrat - 1925 - 1933
* The Democratic-Republican Party's name was shortened to the Democratic Party in the 1840s.
**Some Historians dispute whether Lynch should be counted as a President, and instead classify him as 'Acting President', but most history texts count him as the 12th President of the United States, even if never elected to the office.

Last edited:
Presidents of the United States of America
  1. George Washington - No Party Affiliation - 1789-1797
  2. John Adams - Federalist - 1797-1805
  3. Thomas Jefferson - Democratic-Republican - 1805-1813
  4. James Madison - Federalist - 1813-1821
  5. John Quincey Adams - Federalist - 1821-1829
  6. John Andrew Schulze - Democratic-Republican - 1829-1837
  7. Peter Buell Porter - Federalist - 1837-1841
  8. Pierre Nicolas de Condorcet - Democrat* - 1841-1849
  9. Benjamin Hull Kays - Federalist - 1849-1857
  10. Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt - Federalist - 1857-1865
  11. Anthony Wayne Tullis - Democrat - 1865-1868 (Assassinated)
  12. Barabas Lynch - Democrat - 1868-1869 (Tullis' Vice-President**)
  13. Horace Napoleon Miller - Democrat - 1869-1873
  14. John Bertrand - Federalist - 1873-1881
  15. James Blunt - Federalist - 1881-1885
  16. Erastus R. Bingham - Democrat - 1885-1889
  17. Alexander Poe - Federalist - 1889-1897
  18. Steven Ladd - Democrat - 1897-1901
  19. Henry Bramlett - Democrat - 1901 - 1909
  20. Grant Baxter - Democrat - 1909 - 1917
  21. Remy Aupaumut - Federalist - 1917 - 1925
  22. George Washington Vining Democrat - 1925 - 1933
* The Democratic-Republican Party's name was shortened to the Democratic Party in the 1840s.
**Some Historians dispute whether Lynch should be counted as a President, and instead classify him as 'Acting President', but most history texts count him as the 12th President of the United States, even if never elected to the office.

Can we get what states they residents are from?

Glen

With the rising international tensions of the early 1930s, it was not a surprise that the American electorate was looking for a hero. Other than the Wild Indian Wars of the American West, America had known peace since the war against Napoleon, but Americans had fought. And so, in the election of 1932, the Federalists brought forth as their candidate the governor of New York, Martin Roosevelt. Martin Roosevelt had won fame as a volunteer in the Global War on the front lines between the Dominion and Korsgaardist Mexico, and shown himself capable in governance of his home state. He was a comforting figure to the USA in an increasingly uncertain world, and also enjoyed a high opinion in the neighboring Dominion of Southern America. Martin Roosevelt enjoyed a commanding victory in the presidential election of 1932.

President Roosevelt had promised to combat the threat of international Thuggieism, but was against the provision of the Thuggie Suppression Act that barred Hindoos from entering the USA solely on the basis of race. He had known several Southron Hindoos in his youth. Therefore his administration encouraged and supported the middle route taken by the Supreme Court when it set aside that section of the act.

Roosevelt himself had been at the Olympics when the St. Petersburg Slaughter had occurred, and had gone to London afterwards for the funerals and to confer with the new Prime Minister, Thomas. And so President Roosevelt was in the Imperial Capital when Black Friday occurred, and heard in person the impassioned speech Prime Minister Thomas made to a shocked nation, promising nothing except blood, and in the end, victory.

President Roosevelt managed to slip past the Malthusian forces to return to America, and rallied America to become the Arsenal of the Allies, Britain and Russia, as they set out to counter the rising tide of Malthusianism. President Roosevelt also sought to place America on the path of preparedness, should war come to her shores, given the aggressive nature of the Malthusian Manifesto.

President Martin Roosevelt:

President Martin Roosevelt.png

Not gonna happen - Virginia is a lot less prominent ITTL given that it lacks the South as a power base, and the US capital isn't adjacent.

Lack of a capital is true, but we still have the biggest population of the early states - the reason 6 of the first 10 Presidents were Virginians in OTL - but now with the added bonus of no slavery or Civil War to hold Virginia back, we may actually get one or two aside from Woodrow Wilson post-1865.

Glen

Lack of a capital is true, but we still have the biggest population of the early states - the reason 6 of the first 10 Presidents were Virginians in OTL - but now with the added bonus of no slavery or Civil War to hold Virginia back, we may actually get one or two aside from Woodrow Wilson post-1865.

We may, but it need not be the case. Hey, ITTL Virginia isn't behind by THAT much...:)

Glen

The early days of the Population War saw hundreds of Americans volunteer once more to fight for the classic liberal cause, this time against the radicalism of the Malthusians. While having no official standing in the United States, the large numbers of US volunteers came to be referred to as the Roosevelt Regiment, harkening back to some of the most famous volunteers of the Global War. President Roosevelt did nothing to encourage this unofficial term for the volunteers, but neither did he speak against it (and privately was rumored to look favorably upon the volunteers and was proud they chose to honor him and his brother with the appellation).

Volunteers of the Roosevelt Regiment at the Beginning of the Population War:

Roosevelt Regiment.png

Martin Roosevelt is a fairly old President, in his 60s right? Also, who is that a picture of OTL with the wicked facial hair and no tie?

Not so unbelieveable old. He is old yes but not total ancient. And if I remember correctly, Alexander Poe was over 80 when him became president.

Not so unbelieveable old. He is old yes but not total ancient. And if I remember correctly, Alexander Poe was over 80 when him became president.

60s is definitely realistic still, but I wonder what Marty was up to during the decades before he was governor. As for Alexander Poe, I thought he was some kind of alt-son of alt-Edgar.

Lastly, I'm still curious who that pic of President Roosevelt is from OTL. His distinctive facial hair and lack of a necktie.

Glen

Martin Roosevelt is a fairly old President, in his 60s right? Also, who is that a picture of OTL with the wicked facial hair and no tie?

60s is definitely realistic still, but I wonder what Marty was up to during the decades before he was governor. As for Alexander Poe, I thought he was some kind of alt-son of alt-Edgar.

Lastly, I'm still curious who that pic of President Roosevelt is from OTL. His distinctive facial hair and lack of a necktie.

The Pic is of Tom Berenger from the movie Bad Country.

Concur that 60s isn't sooo old for a president.

As for the relationships and age of Alexander Poe - I'll let you conjecture on that....

Ah yes, what was that interesting character Martin Roosevelt up to in the lost years between his heroism of the Global War and assuming the governorship of New York? ;)

Glen

The Home Islands of the British Empire experienced the first months of the Population War primarily as a campaign between ICEwings. The forces of Malthusianism had struck a cruel but not fatal blow with their incredible surpise attack of Black Friday. However, they had failed to destroy all the Home Fleet, and the shipyards of the Empire, especially in the Dominion of Southern America, would soon turn out replacements for those lost, as well as helping to provide even more needed seamen for those new ships. But that would take time, and even so, the Population War would prove decisively that it was airpower, not seapower, that was the vital element for strategic success. The Malthusian forces had targeted some air targets on Black Friday, but mostly in support of their attacks on the ports of the Home Fleet. It was a surprising oversight given their own innovative use of airpower.

Great Britain and Ireland would trade blows with the European forces of the Channel and North Sea in those first several months, with waves of ICEwings from one side then another trying to knock the other out of the War. Neither force could gain enough air superiority over the other to chance a crossing with their ships, something that was made painfully obvious for any ships that tried their chances in the watery charnal house the Channel became.

Prime Minister Edward Thomas would turn to the master of Croyden Airfield, Sir Thomas Black, to serve as his Air Marshal for the duration of the Population War.

111979.jpg