Need a map of Europe/the World in the mid-1300s

Hnau

Banned
For my first timeline, can anyone help me find/make a map of Europe or the World circa 1340s?

The closest I have found is this, and there is still a significant amount of time I have to historically fill in. (And its only Europe). Any suggestions, tips, whatever? Thank you!

There is a more detailed map of 1328 on page 60 of The New OTL Maps Thread.. But I don't know of any other OTL maps of the 1300s on this site.
You should probably ask Qazaq2007 to make a map for you. he has an excellent collection of historical atlases and males very good maps. He can probably get any year you want.

Last edited:

Hnau

Banned
That would be exceptionally awesome. Right now I'm trying to draw the successor states to the Mongolian Empire, almost have them up. Any resources I can get as close to these years as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hnau,
Excellent choice, that will help me alot in trying to make a map alot closer to the time period you have requested. I do guarantee my map will look alot better than the one you linked to.
Thande,
I will be working on some maps for Hnau as well, just in case you are not able to. Q

Thande

Donor
I've got that map you wanted, but it's too big to post, so PM me your email address and I'll send it.

Hnau

Banned
Thande just made for me an awesome map of Europe circa 1340. I had to shrink it down by 80% to include it, so it is no where near as beautiful as the original version, but I thought I should show it. The city positions are a very nice touch.

OW1340 Small.PNG

Thande

Donor
Well, I wasn't sure of the posting situation copyright-wise, as it comes from pay-per-view Centennia...that degraded shrunk-down version should be okay though I suppose...

Hnau,
Dang, looks like Thande has beat me to the draw on the Europe map, but if you still want the world map, let me know, and I will draw one up for you. Q

Hnau

Banned
Oh, yeah, definitely, a world map would be easily as helpful as Thande's. Especially if it was slightly smaller and could be manipulated more freely. I think that a lot of people could use a pre-Black Death world map, too, so... yeah, that'd be awesome.

Hnau,
Kewl, I will start working on the world map, and post it when I finish. As for the size, it will definately be quite smaller, and quite easy to edit as well. No labels will be included, so as to make it easier to edit, and will allow you to add your own labels later. The UCS will be used so it will be compatible with other world maps on this board, in case other members may want to use the map. Q

Thande

Donor
Hnau,
Kewl, I will start working on the world map, and post it when I finish. As for the size, it will definately be quite smaller, and quite easy to edit as well. No labels will be included, so as to make it easier to edit, and will allow you to add your own labels later. The UCS will be used so it will be compatible with other world maps on this board, in case other members may want to use the map. Q

UCS is Universal Colour Scheme in case Hnau doesn't know, and the latest versions can be found on the 'All the OTL Maps...' thread for comparison.

Thande,
I go there quite alot to grab the latest version of the UCS key, and save it in paint, saves me da hassle of having to troll through pages and threads every time I need to refer to it. Q

Thande

Donor
Here's one version of the UCS.

That's fairly comprehensive, although not really 'U' in UCS yet ;)

I remain amazed at how many shades people have got out of my original far more limited UCS, although a lot of them are arguably too close together (still, few maps have both Carthage and Russia on, I suppose...)

EDIT: When did Spain go orange? :confused:

That's fairly comprehensive, although not really 'U' in UCS yet ;)

I remain amazed at how many shades people have got out of my original far more limited UCS, although a lot of them are arguably too close together (still, few maps have both Carthage and Russia on, I suppose...)

EDIT: When did Spain go orange? :confused:
Oops. The Spain colour is from something else. I'll repost the updated version.

The Carthage colour used to be almost exactly the same as the PRC, and was givien to Tunis. That is now on the other version, where Rumania, Greece, and Sweden have almost identical colours, Columbia and Venezuela have the same colour, Ireland and Scotland have the same colour,Brazil and Norway have almost the same colour, North and South Korea have the same colour, and the South Africa colour looks bad.