Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
a_nation_of_silver_and_a_nation_of_steel___1917_by_federalrepublic-d9mhn4k.png

The election success of William Jennings Bryan as president of the United States in 1896 saw a continuation of the anti-imperialist policies of Cleveland and meanwhile also significantly shifted the policy positions of the Democratic Party. Running as the everyman out to support the workers and farmers of America, Bryan opposed the involvement in European affairs and the ventures of American investors in the Pacific. Reluctantly he did accept the annexation request of the Hawaiian Republic but he firmly and proudly stood against intervention in the Cuban struggle for independence, only choosing to offer mediation between the nationalists and the Spanish government. Bryan also famously decided against getting involved in the failed French Panama canal and instead chose the US-friendly government of Nicaragua as the location of a canal built entirely by US workers (intended as a way of dealing with the relatively high levels of unemployment at the time).

Meanwhile in Europe, Germany continued with its rise to European dominance. With its powerful military and its massive industrial base, the Germans were bound to make the other European great powers feel envious. However with good diplomatic maneuvers and sound military planning, Berlin managed to pull through just fine: the Triple Alliance between Berlin, Rome and Vienna stayed strong and the biggest fear of the German military leadership, namely British intervention, was avoided (mostly thanks to Belgian neutrality not being violated). What became known as the First Great War began in the summer of 1913 and ended just before Easter 1916 with the French surrender. Germany annexed more of Lorraine as well as large parts of French Equatorial Africa, as well as established several puppet states from the fringes of the Russian Empire. Italy regained Savoy and Nice, as well as Tunisia, while Austria-Hungary gained effective hegemony of the Balkans and managed to stave off nationalist uprisings... At least for now.

Elsewhere the Qing Empire collapsed in 1909 and it is still within an era of chaos and warlordism. The Ottoman Empire collapsed shortly before the outbreak of the Great War after Kurdish and Arab uprisings. Russia even briefly took advantage of the whole situation and annexed some Armenian border areas into their empire. Speaking of Russia, the Great War led to the collapse of the Tsarist regime and gave rise to the Eurasian People's Union, a flawed democracy at best and a "dictatorship of the proletariat" at worst, though far from the horrors of the early Soviet Union of our timeline.

Now the world has three major nations vying for superpower status: the German Empire, a nation of steel; the United States, a nation of silver; and the United Kingdom, a nation of ships. Will they clash in the future? Will Germany's alliance system hold? Will the Democratic Party's dominance end? Will the British Empire be able to hold its vast territories? Only time will tell...

Lulach's Legacy

A map of Europe before the voyages to the New World, from the same Map Series I've been doing. Not a lot of backstory right now, but I will explain all the butterflies eventually (maybe hopefully). :p

Another excellent map: that's one big-ass Scandinavia. Seems the HRE must be as OTL a pretty decentralized place to tolerate that much annexation of German lands.

Might want to bump up your estimate of English population on the previous map if it includes that much territory on the continent.

That Hungarian border seems oddly blobby: it was after all established on largely geological terms pretty early OTL.

As Bleh says, that annexation of Novgorod is going to impact Muscovy, badly I'd say: it's already been shorn of territory it held to the north and NW OTL by this time, and Kazan is extending further west.

The survival of both the Crusader States and the Byzantine Empire in western Anatolia seems a bit of an unlikely butterfly from a Celtic POD, but I guess everyone gets to have at least one butterfly gimme. :p

Bruce

Wow, that is a pretty cool map! I really like where this timeline is going, it looks very, very interesting to say the least.

I shall continue it, then! I still have two maps ready to be posted, but I'm not sure if people will be okay with me jumping around anachronistically or not. XD

Scandinavia is certainly looking like a powerhouse there; how are its southern neighbors, particularly the Balkans, feeling about that? Is it very unified or more of an HRE deal? How will this affect expansion for Muscovy?

All in all, a great map!

Yes yes, Scandinavia is pretty huge and influential. How else do you think they got Northumbria? :p And the Balkans aren't very kind to it, but the fact that they have the collective "might" of the HRE behind them kinda prohibits an invasion. It will greatly affect the expansion of Muscovy, I'm actually heavily considering giving Scandinavia Muscovy and Siberia. :p

Great map!

Thank you! ^_^ The Worlda treatment of this thing is gonna take me forever... >_>

Another excellent map

That means a lot coming from you, thanks so much!

that's one big-ass Scandinavia. Seems the HRE must be as OTL a pretty decentralized place to tolerate that much annexation of German lands.

Oh yeah, very. They have to let in basically all they can at this point, since the Scandinavians and Hungarians pushing against them are starting to become too much to bear. :eek:

Might want to bump up your estimate of English population on the previous map if it includes that much territory on the continent.

Quite true. I'm not sure if I want to edit my previous maps, but maybe if I ever decide to publish this entire TL into one big thing. :p

That Hungarian border seems oddly blobby: it was after all established on largely geological terms pretty early OTL.

I think it's basically OTL, as I copied most of it off of this map.

As Bleh says, that annexation of Novgorod is going to impact Muscovy, badly I'd say: it's already been shorn of territory it held to the north and NW OTL by this time, and Kazan is extending further west.

Indeed it has. While the Golden Horde has been expelled quite thoroughly, Muscovy isn't exactly in the place to expand. Kazan might take a thorough amount of Scythia and Siberia, while Scandinavia might take a lot as well. I'm also thinking of adding English and French fur companies in there, somewhere. :D

The survival of both the Crusader States and the Byzantine Empire in western Anatolia seems a bit of an unlikely butterfly from a Celtic POD, but I guess everyone gets to have at least one butterfly gimme. :p

I was thinking about having Frygian ships secretly intervening into the Crusades with the rest of them, but I think I'll use up my free pass here instead. :p

europe_after_a_central_powers_victory_by_1blomma-d9mimtz.jpg

Hello guys, it's been a while :p Trying to get back into map-making, so why not revisit an old scenario?

An expansion of the scenario from this map http://1blomma.deviantart.com/art/Greater-Prussia-421193365
Some information about the current(1924) state of affairs:

Finland - democratic monarchy. German prince on the throne.
Lithuania - authoritarian monarchy much like Big Brother Germany. German prince on the throne.
Ukraine - authoritarian monarchy(sort of) headed by a Hetman. Used to claim the Don and Kuban areas but eventually gave up any hopes of ever controlling them in exchange for a treaty with the Soviet Union.
Soviet Union (still called Russia by most people) - communist state, pretty similiar to what it was irl.
Georgia - republic under German protection. Anti-Ottoman and anti-communist.
Azerbaijan - republic. Ottoman puppet state.
Livonia - duchy in personal union with Prussia, the King of Prussia is also the Grand Duke of Livonia.
Austria-Hungary - gained some goodwill from its citizens after winning the war, the bounty being land from its neighbours and bread from Ukraine.
Bulgaria - annexed half of Serbia and a small part of Greece during and after the war.
Ottoman Empire - the successful campaigns in Caucasia and the Middle East helped stabilise the nation.
Germany - the social democrats and communists have mostly quieted down, voluntarily or otherwise. Still running into trouble in the east though, with Poles calling for the right to self-determination.
Serbia, Montenegro, Albania - Austrian puppet states. There are talks of unifying the three as an Adriatic Kingdom under an Austrian monarch.
France - revanchist. Tried to spin the end of the war to a French victory since they actually gained net land area(colonies). The public didn't buy it.

A true work of art, Blomma. I have made many maps since you last did one, but to paraphrase Aesop, yours is a lion. :)

(And now for a quibble: :D I imagine the Ottomans got their borders back at the peace treaty table: by 1918, the British were too deeply lodged in Palestine and Iraq in particular to be easily kicked out again, no matter what the French failed to do, unless the Germans sent a major load of troops to help out).

Known as the Amirate (for the title most commonly used by it's leaders; Amir al-Mu'minin), or the Caliphate (for having status of being the successor-state to the Prophet Muhammad's regime), the first Islamic empire was truly a sight to behold. With the rule of its Amir stretching from the shores of Atlantic in the west to beyond even the Indus River in the east, this state was the largest the world had ever seen at the time, as well as one of the most influential.

Founded in the 24 AR (after revelation), the early years of the first Islamic State was troubled; for after the Prophet's untimely death on the field of battle against a series of claimants to the prophethood, the succession to the leadership of the ummah (Islamic community) was thrown into disarray. Muhammad's eldest child and only son, Abd-Allah, was only 18 years of age at the time and was generally regarded as having the greatest claim to his father's title (Commander of the Faithful), however, he lacked the necessary allies in the capital of Medina to truly stake his claim. Moreover, the late Prophet himself did not provide for any mechanism for how to select a successor, nor any indication on whom that successor should have been (this including his own son), and in lieu of Abd-Allah's presence in Medina, the influential members of the new faith assembled to swear oaths of allegiance to the more aged and acceptable Abu Bakr; the father-in-law to Muhammad through his daughter, Aisha. Shortly thereafter, tradition tells, the Prophet's son visited the new Amir al-Mu'minin to swear allegiance also.

No matter what school of Islam modern believers lie on, Abu Bakr is traditionally held in high regard for his victory over the rebellious Arab tribes which sought to overthrow the nascent Islamic Empire, as well as his compilation of the teachings of God and sayings of Muhammad into a single tome; the Quran. As such, he is widely regarded as the Rashidun Caliph (rightfully guided successor to the Prophet), and is considered one of the three great early leaders of the faith (held just bellow Muhammad and his son). However, for all the good Abu Bakr's had provided the members of the faith, his leadership over the ummah drastically short; the second Amir having served for merely 20 months before being cut down by a sickness in the year 27 AR. Noting the lack of a mechanism for succession prior to Muhammad's death, he provided in his will a committee composed of twenty-three of his closest companions and advisers to select amongst themselves who would become the new Amir.

The selection would take place in Medina (where all subsequent Amirs would be chosen in the coming centuries), and the assembled committee was divided. Several of the committees members strongly clambered for the selection of the now eldest surviving companion to the Prophet, Umar, who had led several of Abu Bakr's campaigns to pacify the Arab Tribes; however, a smaller yet more vocal group called for the succession of Muhammad's own son; the twenty-one year old Abd-Allah. For a while, the electors had been deadlocked, and although Umar had the plurality, it was hardly enough for the committee to readily lift him to the title he had coveted since his Prophet's death, and soon the tide turned the other way. Ali, the cousin and son-in-law to Muhammad, who had also been cheered as a potential successor to Abu Bakr, ultimately put his support behind Abd-Allah after several ballots in which he and his supporters were indecisive; the remaining members of committee relenting to Umar's claims to swear and oath of allegiance to their new Amir al-Mu'minin, however resentful some may have been.

What followed was the greatest expansion of any empire ever seen. Under the second Amir, the Islamic Empire began to sweep across much of the ancient world; Abd-Allah and his numerous great generals (among them Umar, Khalid ibn Walid, and 'Amr ibn al-'As) spreading their faith and language far-and-wide as their forces defeated all other empires that stood in their wake. It was known as the 'majid al-fatah (glorious conquest), and among the great victories that occured in this era were those of the Persian Conquests (23 AR to 42 AR), the Egyptian Conquests (29 AR to 31 AR), and the Conquest of Anatolia (59 AR to 65 AR) which culminated in the Fall of Constantinople and practical destruction of the Roman Empire. Whilst the conquests wouldn't stop for another century-or-so, the era defined as the 'majid al-fatah would end on the death of Abd-Allah in 83 AR when the Amir was seventy-seven years of age, his leadership of the ummah stretching near fifty-six years over which he survived numerous battles and assassination attempts all whilst expanding the influence of Islam throughout much of the west.

In the year of his death, Abd-Allah wrote in his will that a committee composed of fifty-five imams (known today as the Imamah) most knowledgeable in the Quran would select a new Amir al-Mu'minin from the Ahl al-Bayt; the People of the House (descendants of the Prophet Muhammad). The imams, collected again in Medina (although the seat of the Amir had by now shifted to Jerusalem) selected the Abd-Allah's thirty-nine year old eldest son, Ibrahim, to ascend to the position his father had held for so long. Though he would ultimately be felled in battle in the year 97 AR during a campaign against rebellious Greeks, the precedent set in his ascension would ultimately pass down to all those that followed in Ibrahim's wake; with his own son (Hasan) being selected by the Imamah. Soon, the post became de facto hereditary, with the leadership of the Amirate being passed from father-to-son or brother-to-brother.

In 152 AR, on the death of Amir Abdullah, the Islamic Empire had reached its maximum height that it would ever attain. Having subdued many rebellions in the east during the early years of his rule, he would later move to the far west where he oversaw the conquests of Northern Gaul and Italy, destroying the last remaining remnants of the Roman Empire whilst spreading his writ all the way up to the river Rhine. Religious tolerance was a vital necessity for Abdullah during the later years of his leadership over the ummah; the Amir gradually allowing for greater-and-greater relaxations on the jizya in his last decade before abolishing it almost completely for the Christians and Jews in Europe (despite the disagreement from many prominent imams).

It was this that stopped the Islamic Empire from collapsing into complete chaos upon his death, however, in the decades that followed, religious tensions (mostly stemming from political disputes) would explode on the frontiers of the Amirate, and influence of the Amir dwindling over time as local rulers began to assert their own power and independence. In 196 AR, the First Fitna began; a decade long conflict that tore apart much of the Islamic Empire over a squabble regarding the outcome of a Imamah election. By the fourth century, the writ of the Amirs had dwindled to the Levant and the Arabian Peninsula, and by the 7th century, its independence was destroyed completely by Turkish invaders. However, the memory of the Amirate lived on; in language, culture, and most importantly, faith. In time, Islam, the religion first espoused by the Prophet Muhummad, would became the largest and most widespread religion in history, all a result of the first Islamic Empire; the Amirate.

Large SmallCaliphate 163 AR.png

http://orig08.deviantart.net/7ada/f/2016/002/c/d/a_nation_of_silver_and_a_nation_of_steel___1917_by_federalrepublic-d9mhn4k.png

OTL the Taft-Katsura Agreement allowed Japan to formally annex Korea, which was in turn to allow the US to annex the Philippines. Seeing as the latter did not occur OTL, and the Far East being a strong key point in the US's strategic interests(during both expansionist and isolationist periods OTL), how was Japan able to gain a consensus amongst the great powers to allow it take over Korea?

OTL the Taft-Katsura Agreement allowed Japan to formally annex Korea, which was in turn to allow the US to annex the Philippines. Seeing as the latter did not occur OTL, and the Far East being a strong key point in the US's strategic interests(during both expansionist and isolationist periods OTL), how was Japan able to gain a consensus amongst the great powers to allow it take over Korea?

Well, maybe I should have colored Korea as being a Japanese puppet because the protectorate shade is very difficult to notice... XD

I remember entertaining a Bryan victory TL, but I lacked the wherewithal to do the necessary research and complete it.

I really hope you turn this into a series. This would have great potential.

I might. I like this setting and have ideas for a follow-up, so... Can't make any promises but it is possible.

Austria-Hungary - gained some goodwill from its citizens after winning the war, the bounty being land from its neighbours and bread from Ukraine.

On the other hand, they added a further three million Italians to the million already living in their borders. I don't know, it looks peculiarly unwise - gaining the whole Alpine front, in order to deprive the Po plains of their best defense, would have pointed a sword at Italy's heart without burdening their frail ethnic situation further.

Lulach's Legacy
One - Lulachfrýgyld in 1450
Two - Lulachfrýgyld in 1130
Three - Mythological Lands
Four - Confederation of Hálignausé
Five - Discovery of "Litirland"
Six - Europe in 1450

After the official contact between the Ældenglic (a bastardized form of "Old English", used as a group word for the people who settled in Litirland) and Europe, places such as Lulachfrýgyld became quite angry at their old masters. With England having marched in on their nation with an army, they were willing to go to war if they had to. However, at this time, Lulachfrýgyld was not one nation, rather a loose confederation of many. So, in order to save face, they made a pact with the Scandinavians, allowing them only the ability to explore the land. Scandinavia obviously had greater plans, and would later use their knowledge of the continent to gain colonization rights. Most of the journeys were around the coast, small little sailing trips and fishing outings. However, after sighting the Ibalhandia River, (the "Great River" River), they ordered a man named Hans Robertson to go inland to find the source. Believing it'd be close to the coast of Miquaka, they sent him in from their single fishing settlement, Nyra. He then made his journey inland, setting up small camps to do research and exploration. It took him many years to travel, and he'd sometimes spend entire seasons gathering surveying data. Camp Indirflyd, for example, allowed travel up and down the entire Walganus River, meaning contact with Lulachfrýgyld was made (allowing him a good vantage point). His penultimate two camps, Langue and Langskip, grew to such a size they could be counted as settlements. After their abandonment, they'd be good sites for the later colonists a hundred years hence. After this journey, he sailed down the coast of Litirland, and then made his way back to Europe. This trip, known as the Langlífrejr (long-lived journey), allowed the Danish a good point of view on all the rivers and places in Litirland.

bmgMBdP.png

Last edited:
Republic of Greater Armenia

From a vaguely realistic reddit-based geopolitical simulator, a version of Greater Armenia that came about after Turkey was partitioned due to a communist revolution.

GreaterArmenia2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.