Player Two Start: An SNES-CD Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I like Cobain ITTL (I think he would have stepped in regardless of who the woman was--even Courtney Love)...

Another thing I like is what you've done with Selena; it seems plausible, IMO. ITTL, Corpus Christi probably gets a lot more fans of Selena visiting (I'm a bit biased; I'm from where she lived)...

Is The Big Lebwoski movie still made ITTL?

Last edited:
On another note, I just stumbled on this theory on the real reason Lucas had Jar Jar in the Phantom Menace; I just wish I knew and brought it up sooner, as it would have something interesting to explore in this timeline's rendition of the prequels.

I saw that! It'd be awesome if true, but alas, I doubt it is :(

As for Kurt Cobain, are you planning on turning him into a Memetic Badass or what?

Heh, he just happens to be in the right place at the right time pretty much. I think this is it for him for a while though.

ATL Foo Fighters incoming?

Possibly.

So does the continued presence of 'Open Your Heart mean that Crush 40 still exists?

That's right!

Ernest Borgnine? This appeals to me. Is there any chance that ITTL there could be a joke (either in a game magazine, or seeing as how games have gone so mainstream so early, on a late night talk show) where someone's grandma is watching them play, she makes some comment about games, and the kid replies "Ernest Borgnine is the lizard." and the grandma shuts up, apparently satisfied. (come to think of it, "Ernest Borgnine is the lizard." sounds like it could be a meme...or a t-shirt. :D)

Hehehe, that would be a pretty amusing meme. Actually, I just thought of Ernest Borgnine because he'd just started playing Mermaid Man around the same time and I figured he might decide to do a video game too.

I like how Dog Dash 3 seems to indicate that the franchise is going to grow up with its core audience, at least a little bit.

It is, it is. I'm not sure when Dog Dash 4 is coming but it'll be interesting to say the least!

Another thing I like is what you've done with Selena; it seems plausible, IMO. ITTL, Corpus Christi probably gets a lot more fans of Selena visiting (I'm a bit biased; I'm from where she lived)...

I think she would've been huge too. Hugely talented, highly intelligent and charismatic, and her career would've been exploding right around the time of the Latin music boom of the late 90s. Carlos Santana would've loved working with her, so having her as a featured singer in Supernatural is a no-brainer. She will remain massive at least throughout the first decade of the new millennium.

Is The Big Lebwoski movie still made ITTL?

It sure is!

Possibly.

Wouldn't it be possible to make Brittany meet Kurt? She'd probably try to convince him not to leave Nirvana and quit the music industry, "because people like you are what the music industry needs, and Woodstock proved it". If Martin Luther King could convince Nichelle Nichols not to quit Star Trek, why can't Brittany Saldita do the same for Kurt Cobain? :D

On the other hand, Kurt was sick and tired of being a rock star even in OTL, so...

Wouldn't it be possible to make Brittany meet Kurt? She'd probably try to convince him not to leave Nirvana and quit the music industry, "because people like you are what the music industry needs, and Woodstock proved it". If Martin Luther King could convince Nichelle Nichols not to quit Star Trek, why can't Brittany Saldita do the same for Kurt Cobain? :D

On the other hand, Kurt was sick and tired of being a rock star even in OTL, so...

You know he couod be a host on X-Play or another alt-Tech TV show.:D

To quote Harvey Birdman:

"Did you get that thing I sent you?"

(It's basically the same proposal, except I added the Sonic 5 parts)

Well, she's already met him (Nirvana's been on GameTV before) and they do have a mutual friend (Kathleen Hanna) so I imagine she could get access to him fairly easily.

That said, while Brittany certainly loves what Kurt did at Woodstock, she'd understand his reason for wanting to quit music and knowing him, he wouldn't want to be cajoled back into it. So I imagine she'd leave him alone in that regard.

However, Kurt might not be done with music for good. Remember the context of what he said, he had just gotten his nose broken and was probably in a pretty foul mood XD

Well, she's already met him (Nirvana's been on GameTV before) and they do have a mutual friend (Kathleen Hanna) so I imagine she could get access to him fairly easily.

That said, while Brittany certainly loves what Kurt did at Woodstock, she'd understand his reason for wanting to quit music and knowing him, he wouldn't want to be cajoled back into it. So I imagine she'd leave him alone in that regard.

However, Kurt might not be done with music for good. Remember the context of what he said, he had just gotten his nose broken and was probably in a pretty foul mood XD

And his comment about Napster... he could leave Nirvana and avoid the spotlight, but still release songs for free from time to time. Someone like him could probably be able to turn men's rights activism into actual men's rights activism as well, instead of... what it is now.

Last edited:
August 1999 - The Saturn's Hot Summer
A fully arcade-perfect Soul Calibur would've been impossible, but with the help of the Ring, the Saturn port got damn close. It was easily the best looking game on the Sega Saturn, making Tekken 3 look primitive by comparison and even showing up Virtua Fighter 3 somewhat. It looked gorgeous, and did more than any other game to justify the Ring's existence.”
-excerpted from “Games That Pushed The Limits (Saturn): Soul Calibur” on racketboy.com (based on this OTL webpage: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/games...-limits-part-1 )

Killer Instinct Ultra might have struck a blow for Nintendo's claims at being the fighter lovers' console, but Soul Calibur brought the title back to the Sega Saturn, and the Saturn never relinquished it for the remainder of the generation.”
-from “Console Wars: Analysis Of The Fifth Generation”, an article posted on Greenmangaming.com, July 23, 2013

I've always wanted to work on a video game, but this is the first time that the technology's really been there to capture the real skateboarding experience.”
-Tony Hawk, discussing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater in the August 16, 1999 issue of Sports Illustrated

The success of Suikoden proved that Konami could create fantastic role-playing games, and so I was given the opportunity to make one of my own. They told me to make something that could challenge Final Fantasy VIII, which was certainly a lot of pressure to be under. I wanted to make the kind of game that I would play, and my friend Kojima-san was extremely supportive as well.”
-Shuyo Murata, director of Primrose Soldier, in a June 1999 interview with Famitsu magazine

Most cops never have to fire a single shot. Most cops never see somebody die. Bein' a cop is like playing the lottery, but backwards. Most cops win. The ones that lose, lose real big.”
-Fred Kroenin, NYPD: Narcotics Squad

I didn't ask to BE the living embodiment of magic!”
-Flora, Primrose Soldier

Stars? MWAHAHA! By the time I'm done with you, you'll be seein' stars!”
-Bowser, Mario Party

-

Ultra Nintendo:

Mario Party

EGM: 8.0 (quote: “This game is a ton of fun. Some of the minigames can be frustrating, but it's a blast, especially with friends.”)
Gamespot: 7.6 (quote: “The randomness takes away from the experience a bit, but it's definitely fun with three other people.”)

Madden NFL 2000 (multi-platform, also released on Saturn)

EGM: 7.2 (quote: “While not the quantum leap that last year's game was, it's still solid football fun.”)
Gamespot: 7.7 (quote: “The changes to the franchise mode are welcome, and make playing a multi-decade franchise a rewarding experience.”)

NBA Live 2000 (multi-platform, also released on Saturn)

EGM: 8.2 (quote: “An outstanding and realistic basketball experience.”)
Gamespot: 7.9 (quote: “EA has stepped it up with this year's game, adding lots of great commentary and boosting the presentation.”)

NCAA Football 2000 (multi-platform, also released on Saturn)

EGM: 8.7 (quote: “The stadiums look great and the crowd animation is spot on.”)
Gamespot: 7.2 (quote: “I enjoyed creating my own plays, but certain plays were far too foolproof even on the highest difficulties.”)

NFL Blitz 2000

EGM: 6.8 (quote: “Not much more than a roster update to be found here.”)
Gamespot: 6.0 (quote: “Practically nothing new or novel was added to this year's game.”)

Tom Clancy: Secret War (multi-platform, also released on Saturn)

EGM: 7.5 (quote: “The graphics could've been better but I loved how realistic this game is.”)
Gamespot: 8.3 (quote: “The PC version definitely trumps the Ultra or Saturn versions, but all three capture the great FPS gameplay quite well.”)

Tomorrow Never Dies

EGM: 7.3 (quote: “Goldeneye this definitely isn't, but the later missions are a lot of fun.”)
Gamespot: 8.0 (quote: “This game does maintain the series' excellent presentation, with Teri Hatcher and Michelle Yeoh reprising their roles from the film.”)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (multi-platform, also released on Saturn)

EGM: 8.5 (quote: “An exciting, polished, fun skateboarding title.”)
Gamespot: 9.6 (quote: “One of the year's best games and worthy of the legendary skateboarded for which it's named.”)

Twisted Metal 3

EGM: 7.0 (quote: “A bit of a step down in terms of gameplay variety, but it's still quite fun in multiplayer mode.”)
Gamespot: 6.1 (quote: “What happened? The graphics actually look worse in parts than the previous game.”)

Ultra Populous

EGM: 4.0 (quote: “A boring slog that you should stay far away from.”)
Gamespot: 5.1 (quote: “Why couldn't this have just been a straight port of 1997's Populous: Elements? Instead it tries to do its own thing and is largely mediocre.”)

Ultra Road Rash 2

EGM: 7.0 (quote: “A wide variety of stages gives this game some staying power.”)
Gamespot: 4.6 (quote: “The play controls are quite bad and the game's excellent visuals don't save it.”)

Welcome To Magicka

EGM: 9.0 (quote: “I definitely enjoyed my stay in Magicka, which benefits greatly from rewarding exploration.”)
Gamespot: 8.7 (quote: “Big worlds and worthwhile treasures make this one of the year's best action titles.”)

Primrose Soldier

EGM: 8.5 (quote: “The story gets convoluted at times, but this battle system is excellent.”)
Gamespot: 9.3 (quote: “A spectacularly fun and poignant RPG adventure.”)

Saturn:

Soul Calibur

EGM: 9.7 (quote: “The most innovative fighting game in ages and a quantum leap over anything else in its genre.”)
Gamespot: 10 (quote: “A magnificent port of a brilliant arcade fighter.”)

Dragon Quest IV-VI

EGM: 7.3 (quote: “These are excellent games, but definitely dated by current standards.”)
Gamespot: 9.0 (quote: “Three of the greatest RPGs of the last generation are lovingly brought to the Sega Saturn.”)

Point Blank Adventure

EGM: 8.7 (quote: “The tight shooter gameplay of Point Blank is even better in the context of an engrossing adventure.”)
Gamespot: 7.8 (quote: “Not as pitch perfect as the original arcade title, but still an extremely fun game.”)

Raigeki II

EGM: 9.0 (quote: “Not as well crafted as Soul Calibur, but the huge cast of hilarious characters makes this game just as fun.”)
Gamespot: 7.9 (quote: “Soul Calibur might've spoiled us a bit. Nonetheless, this is an extremely rewarding game.”)

NYPD: Narcotics Squad

EGM: 8.7 (quote: “This game is a finely tuned masterpiece with a plot as good as any episode of NYPD Blue.”)
Gamespot: 8.4 (quote: “If the shooting mechanic was more precise and not so frustrating, this might've been a Game of the Year contender. Nonetheless, it's still superb.”)

-

Me and my buddies used to spend all day playin' that game, man. I mean, none of us could skateboard for real, but we could all do a hell of a lotta tricks on Tony Hawk. Second one was the best, but the first one blew us away too, and the graphics looked great.”
-Seth Rogen, discussing his favorite video games on the February 29, 2012 episode of Late Night with Drew Barrymore

Um, we had a Sega Saturn, and....oh, Tony Hawk. That was fun, I guess. I mean I would kinda just sit there and listen to the music until the timer went off. And then I figured out that the music would keep going when you paused the game? I mean, I'd be skating and doing real good, but then a really good song I liked would come on and I'd be like 'oh crap'....no, no, I liked the song. But...I'd HAVE to listen to it, you know? So I'd be pausing the game for like four minutes to hear the song. And then I'd press pause to turn the game back on and I'd forget what I was doing. ...I did that a lot.”
-Aubrey Plaza, talking about Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on Northstar Satellite Radio's Geek Radio channel, in an October 16, 2008 interview by the nighttime host of the channel, Brittany Saldita

When Tony Hawk lent his name, image, and ideas to Neversoft for their 1999 skateboarding game, many in the industry knew the game would be something special, though few realized just how big of an impact the series would have on the video game landscape. Tony Hawk was the world's most renowned skateboarder at the time, his high flying antics a staple on the yearly X-Games competition and in skateboarding competitions around the world. Extreme sports in general were coming to the forefront, thanks in part to the X-Games and to the general societal trend toward “extreme” things in general. Snowboarding, BMX biking, and especially skateboarding were catching on in a major way, and the Tony Hawk video game series was at the crest of that wave.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater would release in the summer of 1999 for both the Ultra Nintendo and the Sega Saturn. Versions for the PC and the new Game Boy Nova would follow in the year 2000. While the Ultra Nintendo version had slightly better graphics (and a 17 song soundtrack as opposed to the Saturn's 14), both versions had identical gameplay that enabled the player to rack up massive combos by chaining together impressive skateboard stunts. The game was an instant hit, both critically and commercially, easily selling over a million copies on both the Ultra and the Saturn. While August 1999 saw its fair share of big games, including classics such as Soul Calibur, Primrose Soldier, and NYPD: Narcotics Squad, it was arguably Tony Hawk that made the biggest impact from a general pop culture perspective. Gamers all over were loving Soul Calibur and Primrose Soldier, but it was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater that celebrities were playing, and even today's celebrities have fond memories of playing the game in their childhood and teen years.

-from an article on Gamesovermatter.com

In a world where Nintendo and Sony never teamed up, what game franchise would I guarantee still appears? Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Barring butterflies causing him to get hit by a truck in 1993, or barring alien space bat Nazi sealions banning skateboarding in the 90s, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater endures in all realities.”
-from the “WI: Nintendo Sides With Phillips Instead Of Sony?” topic on Alternatehistory.net, posted on February 16, 2014

-

With production values far exceeding those of Suikoden II, it's clear that with Primrose Soldier, Konami is taking a shot across the bow at Squaresoft and their upcoming Final Fantasy VIII. While Square's position as the king of RPGs is still extremely secure (it's been fending off attacks from Enix for the better part of a decade), Konami's effort shows that Squaresoft is far from the only company willing to put massive amounts of time and money into producing a role playing game, and their efforts have clearly paid off with this one.”
-from the cover article of the September 1999 issue of GameInformer, which awarded Primrose Soldier a 9.5/10 in its review

Konami's Primrose Soldier was the second best selling Japanese role-playing game of 1999, behind Final Fantasy VIII by a significant margin but well ahead of its competitors. The company pulled no punches in creating a big and beautiful world and a cast of memorable characters, with a brave hero, a lovely heroine, and a truly wicked villain. The game took place in a modern world with some futuristic technology, not quite as futuristic as the tech found in Final Fantasy VIII, but definitely a cleaner world than the cyberpunk Final Fantasy VII. The game's battle system remains fairly unique among JRPGs. While not quite an action-RPG, Primrose Soldier employed a system that borrowed a bit from the company's own Hybrid Heaven and a bit from Final Fantasy's patented ATB (though of course not enough to get themselves in trouble). The characters in the game could attack either with a ranged weapon (usually some sort of firearm), a melee weapon (usually bladed but some characters used blunt objects), or magic. For ranged weapons, a firing reticle would appear in multiple places, and you had to time when you fired your weapon to maximize damage (all the while, the enemy was free to attack you). Weapons could fire as little as one shot at a time or as many as 20 (though obviously damage per bullet was greatly reduced), and careful timing was key to landing a successful attack. With bladed objects, the enemy could dodge or block your attack, so timing and positioning your strike was key. And with magic, incantations had to be timed as well. You could aim attacks at your enemies limbs to cripple them or their head for bonus damage, but usually aiming at their center of mass was most beneficial and provided the easiest hits. The game featured outstanding graphics easily comparable to those in Metal Gear Solid, and excellent voice acting, including Steve Cardenas as Exeter, Lex Lang as Zeta, and Julie Maddalena as Flora.

As for the game's plot, the main character was a young man named Exeter, training to be a soldier in his country's elite Exgenesis Force. Exeter's country, Salcrant, was the most powerful country in the world, and while it didn't control the entire world, it was influential enough that many of its laws became worldwide, most notably its ban on magic and magic users. Many centuries before, magic had flourished in the world, but after the war that saw Salcrant come into being, the rapidly growing country realized that it had to snuff out magic to solidify its power. After centuries of genocide, magic had seemingly died in the world, but Exeter has been having dreams involving a field of flowers and a mysterious, beautiful pink haired woman. After going on a training mission that becomes a bit more complicated after rebels cobble together a war machine that Exeter and his best friend and training partner Zeta have to defeat, Exeter has his most vivid dream yet, where the girl is begging him for his help. Exeter is out in a crowd the next day when he sees the girl. As he approaches her, she disappears in a cloud of flower petals, creating a commotion and sending the nearby magic detectors off the scale. Exeter discusses the girl with his superiors, who conclude that she is the first magician within the limits of Salcrant's capital in nearly 50 years. The next day, there's a red alert. An entire group of magicians have been spotted just outside the city. Exeter and Zeta are assigned to the squad sent to deal with them. The magicians are said to be dangerous, but they largely don't defend themselves, except for the leader, who's exceptionally powerful but still scared as the soldiers cut him down. Exeter, feeling sick after the massacre, wanders away to a secluded area, where he once again meets the mysterious girl. She introduces herself as Flora, and Exeter can't bring himself to attack her. He tells her about his dream, but Flora doesn't know what he's talking about. However, as the two talk, they're forced to flee when some soldiers, detecting Flora's magic, come looking for them. Exeter is able to keep the soldiers away, and eventually, Exeter promises Flora that he'll protect her, and he'll try to find a safe place for her. Flora tells Exeter of magic users outside the city and that they might be able to help. Flora finds a hiding place outside the city while Exeter returns for his debriefing. His superiors tell him that there have been more sightings of magic all over the world, indicating that something very serious is happening. Exeter decides that if he's going to keep Flora away from the soldiers, he'll need a spy, so he confesses everything to Zeta who agrees to spy for Exeter while he leaves the city to look for a place to stay with Flora. Over the next two-thirds of the game, the game basically consists of Exeter and Flora journeying out into the world, dodging Salcrant's armies and finding friendly people to help them. After the first few boss fights, Exeter is revealed as a traitor to Salcrant (though Zeta continues to be his inside man) and begins battling Salcrant's armies openly with Flora and their allies (which include two additional magic users and three non-magic using humans that Exeter and Flora manage to turn to their side). Though Zeta is a major character during this part of the game, he remains largely an NPC except for certain segments when Zeta has to team up with other soldiers to fight threats to the city, or covertly fight Salcrant's troops on his own. Exeter and Flora discover that Flora's presence can “awaken” the magical powers in seemingly non-magical people. At one point, an entire town gets magical powers after a visit from Flora...only to be slaughtered in horrific fashion by Salcrant's troops after the heroes leave. Exeter and Flora of course bond romantically over the course of the game. Salcrant's armies aren't the only villainous forces in the game, there are a few villains who use magic for unscrupulous ends, including an anti-human extremist who tortures Salcrant soldiers for fun and who Flora must personally put down.

Eventually, the events of the game come to a head after Salcrant and its mad scientist head of weapons technology (named Seishin, who eventually leads a coup to take over the country) develop an enormous giant robot with which to lead a war of extermination against all who possess magic. Flora must awaken a sleeping magical beast to combat the mech. As the two clash just outside the city, the heroes infiltrate the mech to find Seishin, who battles the heroes in his own personal mech. After he is defeated, the mech collapses and the war seems like it is over, but Seishin crawls to the controls and turns the mech on the city instead. It's then that the capital's magic users rise up and, led by Flora, destroy the mech once and for all. The people of Salcrant have now seen the good that magic can do, and Zeta, who led the way to infiltrate Seishin's giant terror machine, personally congratulates Exeter. Throughout the first two-thirds of the game, Zeta has been subtly acting to help Exeter, but he's also put the pieces in place for his own sinister takeover... researching magic and discovering, before Exeter and Flora did, that magic is reawakening in the world because of Flora's presence, and that magic can be taken and harnessed with the proper technology. Zeta has co-opted some of Seishin's research, and while the city celebrates victory, Zeta sets his plan into motion. With his machine, he drains the magic from everyone in the capital, killing them (and severely weakening Flora and the other two magic users in the party). Horrified, Seishin realizes he's been played, but he's no match for Zeta's power and is easily defeated. Zeta's power is now great, but the Salcrant military remains formidable, and they manage to chase him from the city. However, Zeta's goal is now revealed: to travel the world, draining all magic in order to become an all-powerful god. Seishin and Flora now have a new goal: to stop Zeta at all costs. The remaining third of the game involves the party trying to reach Zeta while battling the magical beasts unleashed by the imbalance of power Zeta has created through his activities. Zeta leaves many dead magic users in his wake, and Exeter and Flora realize that everyone in the world has dormant magical powers, making Zeta a threat to all humanity. The party finally confronts Zeta in his lair and defeats him, but he has drained so much magic from the world that its imminent destruction is assured. That is when Flora's purpose is truly revealed: she is the keeper of the world's magic. After the genocide, magic went into hiding, seeding a single soul: that soul came to be Flora, whose birth triggered the rebirth of magic as she gradually disseminated it throughout the world. But with so much of the world's magic laid to waste by Zeta, Flora must sacrifice herself to restore the world's magic and save it. Though Exeter and the rest of the party are reluctant, they know they must allow Flora to do this. Flora ascends into the sky and her soul is disseminated throughout the world, restoring its magic and saving humanity. After an ending sequence that shows life returning to normal throughout the world, there's an after-credits scene of Exeter visiting a monument to Flora, touching his heart and feeling her presence, indeed, her presence is in every living thing now. Her familiar flower petals begin to blow past him, and he seems to sense something. He turns and takes on an expression of surprise, but we don't see what he does as the screen goes black.

Primrose Soldier sold exceptionally well. When it was released in Japan in March 1999, it topped the charts for three weeks and eventually sold over a million copies there. It didn't sell quite as well in North America, but it was a major hit for its genre, nearly matching the sales of 1998's Fairytale and becoming one of that region's top selling JRPGs of the year. Despite the game's success, it never got a sequel. Murata said that the original game wrapped up the story well and that he desired to create other games for Konami rather than work on any sort of direct sequels to Primrose Soldier (it would have arguable spiritual successors, however, that took elements from the original's gameplay and applied them to new stories with new characters).

-from the article “When Konami Took On Square At Its Own Game” on RPGamer.net, posted on March 18, 2006

-

And what Welcome To Magicka does is different from your typical 3-D platformer. While you do spend a lot of time running around big open spaces and collecting objects (including wands and spellbooks), very little of it is actually required to progress in the game. Instead, most of your collecting will be done to make your character, a young sorcerer’s apprentice, stronger. In that sense, the game has a sort of Jewels Of The Realm or Andrekah feel to it, and that's quite refreshing. You can choose to barrel through worlds (of which there are 24 in all) right to the finish (where there's usually a boss waiting). The boss will be extremely tough, but you have that choice available. Or you can go off the beaten path and complete the game's challenges for new items, which will make the end level required challenge a lot easier. Ubisoft has given the player a significant amount of choice in its new game, putting it on a different wavelength from the excellent but largely linear Rayman 2. In that sense, it's forging a new path forward for the genre, one that's a welcome bit of change from typical platformer fare.

Graphics: 4.5
Sound: 4.5
Play Control: 5.0
Fun Factor: 5.0
Challenge: Intermediate

-from Gamepro's review of Welcome To Magicka, in the September 1999 issue

While Rayman 2 was only a moderate success on consoles (it was bigger on PC), Welcome To Magicka was a sales success with more than a million and a half copies sold worldwide, mostly in North America and Europe. Players were engrossed by young Garry's tale of adventure and magic, and the game was the start of a successful franchise for its publisher Ubisoft (which contracted out to the company Mirasoft to develop the game, eventually purchasing the company in 2002). The series' fun cast of characters made it a staple franchise for fan artists and fanfic writers as well.”
-from Fandomguide.com's entry on Welcome To Magicka

The Darkest Night was emotionally heavy and depressing. Rayman was super happy but also super silly. With Welcome To Magicka, you got a cheerful tale with just a tiny bit of emotional gravitas, and fantastic gameplay to boot. It was the best of both worlds, and it's no wonder that it was Ubisoft's best selling game last year.”
-from a March 23, 2000 post on Gamefaqs.com's message boards

I haven't gotten any power-ups at all and now the final boss is kicking my ass! Am I screwed?”
yes u are screwed, u gotta go all the way back and start over”
You can just replay some earlier levels and collect what you need, don't listen to the troll.”
You made it all the way to the final boss without any power-ups? That's really good, you came this far, go all the way!”

-from a topic posted on April 8, 2000 on Gamefaqs.com's Welcome To Magicka board

-

PROTIP: Rotating the analog stick in certain minigames can be a bit annoying, but we recommend just using your palm instead of your thumb, the soft rubber of the Ultra Nintendo's joystick will protect your hand from any harm.”
-from an article on Mario Party in the September 1999 issue of GamePro

Mario Party's eight boards all have their own tricks and traps, but all of them are quite fun! Each character has their own board, and at the end, you can unlock two special boards as well!

The boards are as follows:

DK's Jungle Adventure
Peach's Birthday Cake
Yoshi's Tropical Island
Wario's Motorbike Trail
Luigi's Ghost Palace
Mario's Rainbow Castle
Bowser's Mecha Koopa Factory
Eternal Star

-from an article in the September 1999 issue of ExpertGamer (five of the boards are named identically to OTL, but Wario, Luigi, and Bowser's boards have seen the most changes, including their names)

-

Tom Clancy: I just wanted to make a realistic game, that's the thing with me. All these video games where you shoot a guy and he just soaks up bullets like he's the Blob or something, nah, that takes me right out of it. One shot, one kill.

Ted Crosley: Well, what if you get shot *imitating Forrest Gump* directly in the buttocks? That's probably not gonna kill ya.

Tom Clancy: Granted, if you shoot a guy in the ass in Secret War, he's not gonna die right away. Usually. But a high-powered rifle bullet, that'd tear right through your butt cheek and into your inner thigh and you'd bleed out quick.

Alex Stansfield: *laughing* I love how this discussion has turned to the physics of getting shot in the ass.

Tom Clancy: Well, I wouldn't expect nothing less from the Beavis and Butthead channel.

-from an interview with Tom Clancy on the August 24, 1999 episode of GameTV

The plot of Secret War wasn't half as compelling as some of Clancy's military thrillers. The game revolved around the 'secret war' fought between an elite group of UN special ops agents and terrorist organizations around the world. But the realistic bullet physics and gameplay mechanics were a big step forward from the genre, and while console gamers largely remained loyal to the Goldeneyes, Dooms, and Arbiter of Sins of the world, PC gamers were quite down with this new 'FPS realism' thing. It helped that the game looked significantly better on the PC than it did on any of the consoles, though Red Storm admitted to rushing the console port somewhat.”
-narration from the November 7, 2004 episode of “Dev Stories” on G4

-

The recent North American release of Dragon Quest IV-VI for the Sega Saturn puts all the Dragon Quest games on the console for the first time, letting Saturn players experience one of the great classic role playing game series for themselves. Meanwhile, the company is hard at work on Dragon Quest VII. The game is on track for a spring 2000 release in Japan, and Enix is planning on doing a massive presentation for the game at next month's Tokyo Game Show. Meanwhile, their most recent game, Laika's Journey, has been a major hit in Japan, and it will see an early 2000 release stateside. The game focuses on the interplanetary journey of a Russian cosmonaut and her faithful dog, and is said to be somewhat of a spiritual successor to the SNES-CD RPG Robotrek.

Enix is also said to be collaborating with Sega on an RPG originally planned for Sega's Katana system, but now being fast-tracked for a Saturn release sometime late next year. The game was also originally intended to be a third installment in the Lords of Skylein series, but disappointing sequel sales have led Sega to retool the game as an entirely new RPG franchise. More details are sure to be revealed at the Tokyo Game Show, but the game has been given a working title of Project Arcadia. We hope to reveal more information to you when it's made available!

-from an RPGamer.net article published on August 26, 1999

-

The X-Files Episodes Of M. Night Shyamalan

When M. Night Shyamalan's movie concept was turned down by major Hollywood studios, he thought his career in screenwriting might be over. But Chris Carter saw promise in the intrepid young writer, and he was soon put to the test, given the task of writing several episodes of The X-Files' seventh season. The sixth season, which had seen the show somewhat retool itself from an alien conspiracy show to a show focused on alternate timelines, faltered a bit both critically and in the ratings. But the seventh season, which reconciled the alternate timeline plots with a new government conspiracy storyline, proved more popular than ever, and Shyamalan's episodes were a major contributing factor.

All in all, he penned four episodes for the seventh season, including the season finale (which incorporated some of the plotlines he'd originally intended for his movie concept). In “Prognosis”, which sees Mulder and Scully grappling over whether or not to stop a man who, in an alternate timeline, stumbled upon the polio vaccine before Jonas Salk and attempts to profit from it, Mulder guns down the man in cold blood, creating immense conflict between the two agents that carries over for several episodes as Scully thinks him to be a renegade. In “Sarasvati”, the two agents meet a mysterious young girl who seemingly knows everything, including the future, and must protect her from a government assassin. In “Role Playing Game” (which sees guest appearances from GameTV's Ted Crosley and Lyssa Fielding), Mulder and Scully must battle against a powerful witch who was created as the villain of The Lone Gunmen's new hit PC RPG. And finally, in the acclaimed season finale “Sixth Sense”, Scully comes to what seems like a shocking revelation: Mulder has been dead for the last two years, and she's the only one who's been able to see or talk to him. However, this turns out to have been caused by Scully accidentally slipping into an alternate timeline where Mulder has been dead, in order to cover up for Mulder's abduction by agents of a new secret government conspiracy. Scully remains trapped in this alternate universe at the end of the season, and doesn't reunite with Mulder until several episodes into season eight.

Shyamalan would continue writing X-Files episodes until the end of the series' run in 2002, forming a close friendship with fellow writer Vince Gilligan in the process...

-from an article posted on TVLookBack.com on September 30, 2014

-

For all the praise that NYPD: Narcotics Squad received for its storyline, the gameplay wasn't much different from the average third-person shooter of the day. Essentially, the game was broken down into 17 levels, or “missions”, and you controlled the main character, Fred Kroenin. There would be a cutscene at the beginning of the level and one at the end, and in-between, you'd be navigating a 3-D environment, usually a fairly small and restricting one, between segments of fighting bad guys from a third-person shooter perspective. You'd occasionally look for clues or find suspects or weapons, and sometimes a cutscene would break up the action. The game's story structure was somewhat like the original Squad Four game, though it wasn't a rail-shooter and you could freely move around and take cover during shooting sequences.

The plot itself was a dramatic cop story where you played veteran narcotics officer Fred Kroenin (voiced by character actor J.K. Simmons), who was in the process of training rookie cop Ethan Stone (voiced by Kevin Shinick, most well known at the time for hosting the Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiego? game show). While Kroenin was a divorcee, Stone lived with his young wife (voiced by Anna Gunn, who had also recently reprised her role as Ariel in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver), who was currently pregnant with the couple's child. Kroenin's been on the trail of the 13th Street Blades, a violent street gang that's run most of the other narcotics gangs out of New York City, recently consolidating their power with a brutal series of assassinations on Mafia bosses. The Blades are led by a man who calls himself Carson (voiced by Greg Baldwin), who prides himself on being able to manipulate people, either through persuasion, or, if that fails, extortion.

The seventeen missions play out as follows:

Mission 1- A Rookie Learns From His Mistakes: A sort of “training” mission in which Fred and Ethan make a typical drug bust, though Ethan stumbles upon a clue that might lead to someone higher up the food chain.

Mission 2- On The Waterfront: Fred goes undercover to lure out some low-level drug dealers, but the mission goes south quickly.

Mission 3- Never Trust A Typical Day: Fred joins his longtime partner Jack McCracken on a case while Ethan works a normal beat, the case seems to end in a successful arrest but tragedy soon strikes.

Mission 4- Remembrance: The Blades put a hit out on a number of officers attending McCracken's funeral, forcing Fred and Ethan to work together to save their fellow officers.

Mission 5- Big Fish: Fred and Ethan hunt down a high-profile member of the Blades at a penthouse suite.

Mission 6- Misappropriation: Fred and Ethan must find a crucial piece of evidence to make their catch talk. After the mission, Ethan comes home to find his wife being held hostage by Blades thugs and is “recruited” into their gang as a mole.

Mission 7- Evidence Locker: You play as Ethan for this mission, where you're forced to sabotage evidence at the police station in order to spring the captured Blades gang member. After he is freed, he and Ethan meet with Carson, who brutally executes the gang member and tells Ethan that if he ever tries to screw him, the next person to die like that will be Ethan's wife.

Mission 8- In The Club: Fred and Ethan venture to a nightclub that happens to be a hotbed of narcotics dealing. It's a typical mission, but once again Ethan is forced to sabotage it to protect his wife.

Mission 9- Say Your Prayers: Fred and Ethan meet a Blades leader at a church in a mission that soon turns into a shootout. After the mission ends, Fred gets his first suspicions that something isn't right with Ethan.

Mission 10- The Night Shift: Fred and Ethan find themselves on a midnight case that might lead to capturing Carson. Though Ethan again sabotages the mission, he does manage to get several high-ranking Blades men caught. After the mission, we see Fred drowning his sorrows with alcohol and prostitutes, while Ethan meets with Carson again. Carson knows that Ethan got the Blades men caught and plans to retaliate by raping Ethan's wife. Ethan responds by managing to get to one of Carson's homemade bombs and threatening to bring down the building on everyone, including himself and his own wife and unborn son, if Carson goes through with it. Carson laughs, tells Ethan “you've got a set of balls on you”, and backs off.

Mission 11- Shattered: Fred and Ethan are pursuing another Blades gang member when they are run off the road and get into a serious car accident that leaves them both hurt and in the middle of an ambush. Fred ends up having to drag an unconscious Ethan through a set of buildings, fending off gang members all the way. After the mission, he finds evidence on Ethan that might connect him to the Blades, but doesn't want to believe it's true until he can properly confront him.

Mission 12- Downtime: After a routine drug bust, the precinct is targeted by a bomb, causing it to go up in a raging inferno. Fred believes Ethan planted the bomb, and confronts him. The two draw their weapons on each other, but Ethan can't fire the shot. Fred can, but only ends up wounding Ethan. Ethan, realizing that if he lets Fred take him into custody, his wife will be surely killed, is able to fight back, and after a brutal brawl, knocks Fred out. He's going to kill Fred until Carson drives up and tells Ethan to bring him to the car instead.

Mission 13- In Hell: The mission opens with a cutscene where Fred is being tortured by the Blades for information. Carson has sent Ethan out on a mission to find and destroy any remaining evidence against the Blades. Fred manages to escape and fights his way through the warehouse where he's being held. At the end of the mission, Fred is ambushed and attacked, and it's shown that it's Ethan. This time, however, Ethan allows himself to be caught, and begs Fred to let him explain himself.

Mission 14- The Harrowing: Even after Ethan reveals the reason for his treachery (and swears that he wasn't the one who planted the bomb at the police station), Fred doesn't believe him, but he agrees to go with Ethan to rescue Ethan's wife before Carson catches wind of Ethan going behind his back. With Ethan's information, the two are able to sneak into where Ethan's wife is being held, and they manage to save her.

Mission 15- Back On The Force: With his wife freed from the Blades, Ethan is now free to help Fred, and after the two get their injuries patched up, they use a tip they found to pursue the man who is said to have put Carson in power. That man is Fred's old partner McCracken, who faked his own death. He's been feeding Carson the information that Carson's been using to conduct hits and push drugs around the city, and McCracken also gave Carson the tip about kidnapping Ethan's wife. Ethan is about to beat McCracken to death when Fred stops him. McCracken taunts Fred, who just slaps handcuffs on McCracken and begins reading him his rights.

Mission 16- Twenty-Three Years On The Force And Nothing To Show For It: As Fred and Ethan prepare to take McCracken in, they're pursued by Blades gang squads. The two cops fight them off, and manage to get out of danger, only for a massive explosion nearby to knock the three men to the ground. It's another ambush, with Carson firing at them from a helicopter. In the confusion, he picks up McCracken and takes off into the air as the two men are surrounded by another of Carson's hit squads. Inside the helicopter, Carson tells McCracken that his services won't be needed any longer. McCracken begs for his life, screaming “I made you!” but gets tossed from more than a thousand feet up for his trouble.

Mission 17- A Good Day: After fighting off Carson's hit squad, the men learn that Carson is planning to flee the country with the profits from his drug trade, which will make him untouchable while he continues running his gang from overseas. They pursue him to a remote airfield outside the city and battle their way through his men until they reach him. After a gunfight, Carson is wounded but he tries desperately to stumble his way onto a plane. A skillful shot by Fred enables Ethan to corner Carson for good. Ethan thinks about putting a bullet in Carson's head, but instead cuffs him and begins reading him his rights. As Carson is taken by paramedics, Ethan gets a call that his wife has gone into labor. As the doctors are delivering Ethan's baby, a hail of gunfire rings out through the room. Carson, badly wounded but seething and wanting revenge, is gunning for Ethan and his family. There's two more gunshots. Carson drops dead to the ground, and Ethan turns to see that Fred has killed Carson while taking a bullet for Ethan's wife and child. Fred slumps to the ground, fatally wounded. His last words are “It's been a good day...” as he succumbs to the gunshot. The ending is bittersweet. Ethan is now a full-fledged member of NYPD's narcotics squad, but the stress of the recent events has traumatized Ethan's wife, and she leaves him for the sake of their child. Ethan, like Fred, is left alone in the world, but he's still determined to keep the city safe and free from drugs and the brutal gangs that push them. The credits roll.

So how did the game do? Quite well. The pre-release hype generated a lot of buzz for the game and it even got some coverage in the mainstream media. While it wasn't the blockbuster that Sonic 5 and Soul Calibur proved to be, it managed to become one of the Saturn's top sellers of the year. The gameplay hasn't aged well, but the story remains highly praised and has even inspired television and film writers.

-from an article on Gamesovermatter.com

-

Soul Calibur: The Basics

Released on August 31, 1999 for the Sega Saturn, Soul Calibur is the sequel to Soul Edge and a port of the 1998 arcade hit. Gameplay and control wise, the game is nearly identical to OTL's Soul Calibur. Most of the minor changes to the game are aesthetic, and there are also a few characters changed as well. The game requires the use of the Ring to be played, and even with the Ring, the Saturn hardware is pushed very close to its limits, the game is widely regarded as the best looking on the Sega Saturn, and compares favorably to many Ultra Nintendo games from a technological perspective (there are even a few minor aspects in which the game looks better than Killer Instinct Ultra, said to be one of the Ultra Nintendo's most technologically advanced games). The game's character roster includes Cervantes, Mitsurugi, Hwang, Seong Mina, Voldo, Sophitia, Taki, Siegfried, Astaroth, Ivy, Kilik, Lizardman, Nightmare, Xianghua, and Yoshimitsu (from OTL's game), Seraph (an angelic character and original to TTL who also appeared in TTL's Soul Edge), along with characters brought over from other Saturn games, Lenneth Valkyrie and Turok. The main villain of the game is Nightmare, who comes into possession of the Soul Edge blade (as Siegfried) and is corrupted by its power. The heroes of the game gather together to stop it from unleashing its evil upon the world. The game doesn't include a “story mode” per se, but characters do get unique dialogue before matches depending on their opponent, and each character has a short ending after completing their arcade mode.

Soul Calibur's reception is nearly as good as IOTL, though it's not considered a completely transcendent game because of its release on a current-gen system, as opposed to being the Dreamcast's most impressive launch game IOTL. Nevertheless, the game achieves outstanding review scores and instantly becomes a top-flight contender for overall Game of the Year. With promotion and hype nearly exceeding even that of Sonic the Hedgehog 5, the game sells massively in its first week and continues to be a top seller for the Saturn throughout the year. The success of Soul Calibur solidifies the Sega Saturn's reputation as one of the greatest fighting game systems of all time, and despite the hits available on the Ultra Nintendo (including its most acclaimed fighting game to date, Killer Instinct Ultra, and the party game staple Super Smash Bros.), the fighting genre is one that most critics agree belongs to Sega's system.

-

*Lyssa and Brittany are standing on the GameTV set, looking through reader mail.*

Lyssa Fielding: *picks a letter and opens it up, reading it silently* We get a lot of reader mail here at GameTV, and there's one request that people keep sending me! I mean I get this request from people ALL the time. *she reads the letter* Dear Lyssa... show us your boobs.

Brittany Saldita: It seems like every week you get people asking you that!

Lyssa: I know, right? Well, you know what? Because you guys have been such great fans... I'm gonna do it!

Brittany: *stunned* What?

Lyssa: That's right, I'm showing all of you my boobs!

Brittany: Lyssa, no! *tries to grab her*

Lyssa: It's for the fans! *she turns around and then walks over to the couch, where Ted and Alex are playing a game together* Here you go! *points to Ted and Alex* These two are boobs, and they're totally mine! *leans in and kisses both of them on the cheek, giggling*

Ted Crosley: Hey!

Alex Stansfield: We're not boobs!

Lyssa: Yes you are!

Brittany: Go back to your game, boobs. *laughs* In the meantime, we get the honor of introducing a brand new host to the show. *she and Lyssa walk over to a huge crate with air holes cut inside and dance music coming from it*

Lyssa: A mail order host?

Brittany: I think he shipped himself here like this. *grabs a crowbar and pries the box open* Let's just...get this.... *the box opens* There!

*A bunch of balloons and confetti spill out of the box as the new host steps out of it, a boombox blaring party music behind him.*

Steve Horton: Hey everybody, I'm your new host, Steve Horton!

Lyssa: From MTV's Real Spring Break!

Steve: And I'm here to party!

Brittany: Well, you've come to the right place because we're about to review some Mario Party.

Lyssa: Whoooo! *cheering and pumping her fists*

-excerpted from the August 3, 1999 episode of GameTV

Of all the GameTV hosts, the last new host, Steve Horton, is probably the least favorite among fans. He certainly wasn't a bad guy, he got along well with the other hosts and like them, was a legitimate video game fan. But he was somewhat symbolic of the 'new' MTV. He was loud, somewhat crass, and seemed to be forcing his enthusiasm. Adrian Fry was loud and crass too, but with Adrian, nothing seemed forced. He stuck out among the show's hosts and wasn't too terribly entertaining either.”
-from an article on Kotaku.com ranking the hosts of GameTV, posted on January 23, 2015

(…)

Alex: NYPD: Narcotics Squad, as a game, I thought it was excellent.

Ted: It was a hell of a lot better than Virtua Cop, and I actually really liked Virtua Cop. This game, the shooting works great, I appreciated that the clue hunting was contextual...like, the dialogue tells you where to look, so it's not a pixel hunt.

Alex: Right, I got that feeling too, that the game didn't want you to spend too long messing around looking for clues. It wanted to get you through the plot quickly. The plot, though, I was expecting maybe something a bit more. Without spoiling, it is...kind of predictable.

Ted: There were enough twists and turns to keep me hooked the whole time. Look, you know what you're playing if you play this game and I had a blast with it. The whole time, I had a blast.

Alex: The gameplay's fantastic, it's just the plot I had some problems with.

Ted: Well, we can disagree.

Alex: Of course.

Ted: The voice acting is great.

Alex: Oh, definitely yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and give it a 4.5 because aside from some problems with the plot, it's an outstanding game.

Ted: I'm giving it a perfect 5. I thought it was transcendent.

Alex: That's a really strong word for a shooter game, even a really good shooter game. Transcendent should be like, a game that transcends a 5. Like any Zelda game.

Ted: It was transcendent, I'm sticking to my word.

(…)

Steve: Twisted Metal 3, like the last two Twisted Metal games, kicked ass.

Brittany: They were going through the motions here. Twisted Metal 2 came out three years after the first. This one came out a year later! That should tell you something.

Steve: Everything from the ground up, the multiplayer-

Brittany: Stop, stop, stop, the multiplayer in 2 was so much better. The arenas, the weapons, even the graphics. How do you make a new game and have the graphics get WORSE than the last one? How?

Steve: It's the same great Twisted Metal experience, if you liked the last two-

Brittany: If you liked the last two, play the last two.

Steve: The SNES-CD one was better than this one?

Brittany: The levels were more creative.

Steve: And the frame rate was awful.

Brittany: It was okay, considering. I could play the original Twisted Metal right now.

Steve: You'd really rather play it over 3?

Brittany: Hell yeah!

Steve: Well, in my opinion this game is fantastic and I'm giving it a 4.5.

Brittany: Absolutely not, it gets a 1.5 from me. It's really bad and a big step down from the last game.

-excerpted from the August 10, 1999 episode of GameTV

(...)

Gary: There's a lot to like about Tomorrow Never Dies, but I really wish Rare had decided to take it. I just hope Velvet Dark is a bit better, this one plays a lot more like a generic FPS with James Bond in it.

Steve: And where's the multiplayer?

Gary: Exactly!

Steve: I don't know why an FPS these days wouldn't have multiplayer. It's no fun shooting bad guys who grunt and yell, you gotta shoot your friends so they can bitch at you!

Gary: *laughing* Do you bitch at your friends when they shoot you?

Steve: Well obviously, they cheat when they manage to hit me. Ted and Alex tell me you get killed a lot.

Gary: They're lying!

Steve: And Brittany tells me she's gotten you 24 times in a row in Goldeneye before.

Gary: *shaking his head in dismay*

Steve: *laughing*

Gary: If this game had multiplayer I'd kick your ass! And if it had multiplayer I'd give it a 4. Without it, it's just a 3.

Steve: It's not a bad game. It's got all the voices, it's pretty fun. I'm giving it a 3.5, but I agree, losing that multiplayer really sucks.

-excerpted from the August 17, 1999 episode of GameTV

(…)

Brittany: So what's your verdict on Point Blank Adventure?

Lyssa: It's really REALLY fun.

Brittany: The original Point Blank was an excellent shooting game. This one, same thing, for the most part, although I liked the variety of the original Point Blank as opposed to this one which is more of a straight-up lightgun shooter where you progress from level to level.

Lyssa: Any kind of well made lightgun shooter is a fun game, I thought the adventure elements added a much needed dimension to it. It wasn't perfect, though.

Brittany: No, it had some flaws. Repetitive enemies...I mean how many bug-bugs do you have to kill?

*A quick montage showing the same type of bug as an enemy in literally every single level*

Brittany: They changed...colors, I guess?

Lyssa: Right, we needed more enemy varieties and give them more attack patterns!

Brittany: In the original Point Blank, you spelled words, you shot cars, it was a rapid-fire. This, it gets kind of ho hum after a while. But...that said, I literally couldn't stop playing until I'd finished, which took just a little more than two hours.

Lyssa: Was it a fun two hours?

Brittany: …..ehhhh..... *biting him lip*

Lyssa: *playfully pokes Brittany* Coooooooooome on.

Brittany: ...yeah it was. 4 out of 5.

Lyssa: Same here, I'm giving it a 4 out of 5!

-excerpted from the August 24, 1999 episode of GameTV

(…)

Ted: Soul Calibur is the best fighting game I've ever played. Hands down. Better than Street Fighter 2 or Tekken 3.

Alex: Well I knew YOU'D love it, but you know what? ….*laughs* I love it too. It's not the toughest fighting game but that's a big part of its appeal. It's forgiving. It's beginner friendly but it still has a deep strategic core.

Ted: The story, you know, simple but good. It's a compelling reason for them to be fighting each other and each character at least has a reaction to each other character. My personal favorite is Turok.

*A quick Turok montage is shown.*

Turok: *reacting to Cervantes* I've fought guys like you before.

Turok: *reacting to Ivy, looking her body up and down* I'm not impressed.

Turok: *reacting to Voldo* They've gone too far this time.

Turok: *reacting to Lizardman* I took down a hundred of your buddies before you woke up this morning.

Alex: I liked Lenneth. Hell, it's more fun to play through with other games' characters than it is to play with this game's!

Ted: I WANTED Sonic to show up...

Alex: No! No! That would be like Mario showing up!

Ted: *laughing*

Alex: You seriously wanted Sonic to show up?

Ted: Yeah, what Sega fan wouldn't?

Alex: If Sonic had shown up I'd have dinged this game half a point.

Ted: Oh you're no fun.

Alex: Well, I'm giving it a 5. It's easily one of the best games of the year and I'll concede, it's better than Killer Instinct.

Ted: Well I'm giving it a 5. A transcendent 5!

Alex: This time, I think the term fits.

-excerpted from the August 31, 1999 episode of GameTV

-

Ultra Nintendo Power Charts: August 1999

1. Super Smash Bros.
2. The Legend Of Zelda: Temple Of Time
3. Metal Gear Solid
4. Doom: Inferno
5. Super Mario Dimensions
6. Final Fantasy VII
7. Sailor Moon: Another Story Retold
8. Dino Crisis
9. Andrekah: Witches Brew
10. Tomb Raider III

The Official Saturn Magazine Buzz Chart: August 1999

1. Soul Calibur
2. Sonic The Hedgehog 5
3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
4. NYPD: Narcotics Squad
5. Battleborn
6. Raigeki II
7. Virtua Racing Reality
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 4
9. Virtua Fighter 3
10. Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver

-

September 1, 1999

The official sales figures wouldn't be in until at least the following week, but reports from Soul Calibur's launch were good. Extremely good. In many stores, particularly EB Games and Gamestop stores, Soul Calibur was selling even faster than Sonic the Hedgehog 5, and Tom Kalinske couldn't have been happier at the news.

But there was a cloud to go with that silver lining. Soul Calibur was selling plenty of software, but from the early reports, Saturns weren't flying off the shelves any faster than before. Though the $249.99 combo pack containing the Saturn, the Ring, the Soul Calibur game, a controller, and a fight stick was a popular buy, and even though Saturn owners WERE buying lots of Rings to play the new game, the Saturn base console itself hadn't seen its sales tick up even a tiny bit. The layoffs were continuing, though they'd slowed, and Kalinske hadn't had to fire any of his friends in a while. Sega's profits had stabilized.

And later in the month, Sega was planning to have a major presence at the Tokyo Game Show. They were finally going to formally unveil the Katana and the first wave of games for the new console. A number of upcoming Saturn games would be shown off as well. One of which, Dragon Quest VII, was sure to be a hit with the Japanese crowds. But in North America, the Saturn's market share had eroded significantly. The Ultra Nintendo was still selling extremely well, more than tripling Saturn sales in most months.

“Hey John, how's it going?” asked Kalinske. He was talking on the phone to John Antioco, Blockbuster's current CEO. “Oh really? That's awesome, thanks for letting us know.”

Antioco had just revealed to Kalinske that Soul Calibur had set a record for release date rentals from Blockbuster, and that the Ring had smashed a record for single-day peripheral rentals, a record that had previously been set by the Super Nintendo CD on the day that Doom had launched for the SNES-CD in 1995.

“The Saturn and its games have really been successful for us at Blockbuster and it's a partnership we'd like to keep going,” said Antioco. “Which brings me to my next request, is there anything you can let me know about the new thing you guys are coming out with? I think the Katana is what it's called? We'd love to be in position to have lots of units available for rental when it's released.”

“Sorry, John, not much I can tell you...” said Kalinske, and it wasn't just because he wasn't authorized to tell his Blockbuster friend anything...it was because he'd been left out of the loop on it as well, at least about certain aspects of the Katana's particulars. “You're welcome to come down to Tokyo in a couple weeks, we'll be showing it off to everybody there.”

“Ah, corporate secrets, huh?” replied Antioco with a laugh. “All right, all right, don't want to get you in trouble. “Hey, great work on the Saturn, it's really been a massive hit with all our customers. Remember, if Nintendo had their way, we wouldn't be able to rent out games at all!”

“You know, I wouldn't mind if all you guys carried were Sega games,” joked Kalinske. “But I've always been glad to have Blockbuster's support. I promise to let you know whatever I can as soon as I can and if you come to Tokyo, we can hang out together.”

“That'd be awesome, Tom. I'll see you there, buddy.”

Kalinske set the phone back on the receiver and sighed. The phone call with Antioco reminded him just how much was slipping out of his fingers. He had Blockbuster's support, but as for Sega's, he could no longer be certain.

He was hoping to meet with company brass in Tokyo and get some things straightened out. In the meantime, he had a few more phone calls to make, more Soul Calibur early sales reports to confirm.

Good news always helped calm his nerves.

-

August 23, 1999 – The last SNES-CD game is released in North America

What began with Koji Kondo's upbeat Super Mario Kart soundtrack ended with one of Ludacris' raps set to bone-crushing football tackles. On August 23, 1999, Madden NFL 2000 released for the Super Nintendo CD in North America and ended the illustrious run of the most successful video game peripheral ever released. Of course, it only began its life as a peripheral before becoming the successor to the Super Nintendo itself, eventually releasing a stand-alone version in 1995. When combined with sales of the Ultra Nintendo, which could also play SNES-CD games, then by some measures, more devices have been released that are capable of playing Super Nintendo CD games than any other console standard. Here's a breakdown of system sales.

Super Nintendo (cartridge system): 35.6 million (Japan: 10 million, North America: 19.5 million, Other: 6.1 million)
SNES-CD (peripheral): 15 million (Japan, 5.2 million, North America: 7.8 million, Other: 2 million)
Super Nintendo Playstation Combo Set: 25.4 million (Japan: 8.5 million, North America: 14 million, Other: 2.9 million)
SNES-CD (stand-alone): 11.8 million (Japan, 3.4 million, North America, 6.5 million, Other: 1.9 million)

-excerpted from a segment of “An Interactive Timeline Of Video Game History” on IGN.com, posted on December 31, 2015

One of the SNES-CD's launch games in North America was Dragon's Lair. Can you imagine? The Super Nintendo CD began with Don Bluth and ended with Ludacris. It might've lasted less than seven years, but that's a pop culture eternity.”
-Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon, discussing the Super Nintendo CD in his opening monologue on the 25th anniversary of its North American launch, December 4, 2017

Last edited:
I've actually done a few quotes from beyond 2015 TTL, though I think the 2017 quote is the furthest in the future one I've done.

Even great Homer nods. (Emphasis added.)

For many days, and indeed, for many years after that terrible day, that was all I could think about, was to blame myself for Caitlyn's death. Among many other things, it was a video game that actually helped me cope. I played The Darkest Night afterward, and...of course when I got to Etienne's death, I physically wept, I felt ill and I couldn't play the game anymore, I was reminded so much of Caitlyn. But I forced myself to keep playing, and the lessons that game taught me were the first thing that really helped me to stop blaming myself for what had happened to Caitlyn. That's when I began to see the power of entertainment media to help people cope with stressful events in their lives. That game was the start of my research, and twenty years later, we're still working.”
-Polly Klaas, director of the Stanford University Institute For Media and Human Psychology, in an interview with the Huffington Post, July 23, 2019

Will Blockbuster buy Netflix in 2000 ITTL as they could have OTL? TTL seems to be going down the path of Blockbuster staying around and that would be the way to do it.

Happy 2016 for all player two start readers hope 2016 bring a lot of good fortune and videogames to play

Att
Nivek & Rysenkari

Will Blockbuster buy Netflix in 2000 ITTL as they could have OTL? TTL seems to be going down the path of Blockbuster staying around and that would be the way to do it.

And the money from the online business would allow the rental stores to stay afloat, right? I find the prospect of my counterpart being able to visit Blockbuster today appealing. But would Blockbuster be willing to do anything like OTL's Netflix Original Series concept? Plus there's the problem of figuring out a catchy way to say "Netflix and chill" in this timeline.

Happy New Year everyone!
I never knew about that! That could be cool!

In a world where Nintendo and Sony never teamed up, what game franchise would I guarantee still appears? Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Barring butterflies causing him to get hit by a truck in 1993, or barring alien space bat Nazi sealions banning skateboarding in the 90s, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater endures in all realities.”
-from the “WI: Nintendo Sides With Phillips Instead Of Sony?” topic on Alternatehistory.net, posted on February 16, 2014
So you're saying that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is inevitable, unless skateboarding as a whole doesn't catch on or Tony himself is "Edith Keeler'd"? :D

RySenkari said:
September 1, 1999

The official sales figures wouldn't be in until at least the following week, but reports from Soul Calibur's launch were good. Extremely good. In many stores, particularly EB Games and Gamestop stores, Soul Calibur was selling even faster than Sonic the Hedgehog 5, and Tom Kalinske couldn't have been happier at the news.

But there was a cloud to go with that silver lining. Soul Calibur was selling plenty of software, but from the early reports, Saturns weren't flying off the shelves any faster than before. Though the $249.99 combo pack containing the Saturn, the Ring, the Soul Calibur game, a controller, and a fight stick was a popular buy, and even though Saturn owners WERE buying lots of Rings to play the new game, the Saturn base console itself hadn't seen its sales tick up even a tiny bit. The layoffs were continuing, though they'd slowed, and Kalinske hadn't had to fire any of his friends in a while. Sega's profits had stabilized.

And later in the month, Sega was planning to have a major presence at the Tokyo Game Show. They were finally going to formally unveil the Katana and the first wave of games for the new console. A number of upcoming Saturn games would be shown off as well. One of which, Dragon Quest VII, was sure to be a hit with the Japanese crowds. But in North America, the Saturn's market share had eroded significantly. The Ultra Nintendo was still selling extremely well, more than tripling Saturn sales in most months.

“Hey John, how's it going?” asked Kalinske. He was talking on the phone to John Antioco, Blockbuster's current CEO. “Oh really? That's awesome, thanks for letting us know.”

Antioco had just revealed to Kalinske that Soul Calibur had set a record for release date rentals from Blockbuster, and that the Ring had smashed a record for single-day peripheral rentals, a record that had previously been set by the Super Nintendo CD on the day that Doom had launched for the SNES-CD in 1995.

“The Saturn and its games have really been successful for us at Blockbuster and it's a partnership we'd like to keep going,” said Antioco. “Which brings me to my next request, is there anything you can let me know about the new thing you guys are coming out with? I think the Katana is what it's called? We'd love to be in position to have lots of units available for rental when it's released.”

“Sorry, John, not much I can tell you...” said Kalinske, and it wasn't just because he wasn't authorized to tell his Blockbuster friend anything...it was because he'd been left out of the loop on it as well, at least about certain aspects of the Katana's particulars. “You're welcome to come down to Tokyo in a couple weeks, we'll be showing it off to everybody there.”

“Ah, corporate secrets, huh?” replied Antioco with a laugh. “All right, all right, don't want to get you in trouble. “Hey, great work on the Saturn, it's really been a massive hit with all our customers. Remember, if Nintendo had their way, we wouldn't be able to rent out games at all!”

“You know, I wouldn't mind if all you guys carried were Sega games,” joked Kalinske. “But I've always been glad to have Blockbuster's support. I promise to let you know whatever I can as soon as I can and if you come to Tokyo, we can hang out together.”

“That'd be awesome, Tom. I'll see you there, buddy.”

Kalinske set the phone back on the receiver and sighed. The phone call with Antioco reminded him just how much was slipping out of his fingers. He had Blockbuster's support, but as for Sega's, he could no longer be certain.

He was hoping to meet with company brass in Tokyo and get some things straightened out. In the meantime, he had a few more phone calls to make, more Soul Calibur early sales reports to confirm.

Good news always helped calm his nerves.
They're cutting him out? Hope he's not about to get fired.

And the money from the online business would allow the rental stores to stay afloat, right? I find the prospect of my counterpart being able to visit Blockbuster today appealing. But would Blockbuster be willing to do anything like OTL's Netflix Original Series concept? Plus there's the problem of figuring out a catchy way to say "Netflix and chill" in this timeline.
I like this line of thought!
Blockbuster Original Series?
If they still use the Netflix name: Netflix and chill, if not: Blockbuster and chill? Netflix by Blockbuster: Rent, Watch, Chill (for movies); Rent, Play, Chill (for games)? Blockbuster Online: Chill?

They're cutting him out? Hope he's not about to get fired.

I have a bad feeling about it. Though he has been trying the damned hardest he could, the Saturn is on a rapid decline (not helped by the fact that it is a four-year-old system and showing its age) and the Ring doesn't really appear to be slowing the bleeding any. Unfortunately, Tom Kalinske is not getting the results his Japanese bosses want.

Granted, as Ry and Nivek indicated, it won't be smooth sailing for Nintendo/Sony forever. Something tells me that the sixth generation will a particularly decisive one. It will be interesting to see what the reception to the Katana will get at the Tokyo Game Show and if Dragon Quest VII will push Saturn sales in the land of the rising sun given the series' immense popularity there.

In regards to Microsoft's impending entry into the console race, I know most people are saying Sega should be wary. Indeed Sega should be worried, but so should Nintendo and Sony. MS has to be at least in Sony's weight class and I expect that Nintendo/Sony could get bloodied if blindsided by MS. If I had to guess at the launch of the Ultra's successor, it would be late 2002 or early 2003. Assuming MS launches in 2001, they could carve their niche partly out of Nintendo's market share. If Sega and MS can solidify their lead, Nintendo/Sony will be in for more of a fight. I anticipate that why will still be in first, but not as dominant as they were in the fifth generation.

I can hardly believe no one has brought this up yet but, should we start a pool on what Nintendo/Sony's sixth gen console will be named?

Status
Not open for further replies.