Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Here's my best attempt.
gasden.png

gasden.png

Nice work! Really shows how different things could have been in the long run.

Turned out really good! That atlas has a few more gems in it too. US border negotiations after Revolutionary War: http://dsl.richmond.edu/historicalatlas/89/?sidebar=text&legend=hidden

Did you check out the text? It provides a far more accurate telling of where the borders were to be drawn.

Thanks both of you. I had not read the text though, I had thought the maps were accurate enough. I suppose that was a bit of a risky move. (I'm also not actually that familiar with Mexico/US south-west geography so I'm not certain how much it would have helped.)

I think we had someone do those Revolutionary War borders.

The maximum war aims of Germany in WWII with colonial envisions from "Hitler's Table Talk". Please note this scenario would have only taken place in a complete and total victory in Europe and a defeat of every single country who happened to be at war with Germany at the time (in other words, it's incredibly unlikely this entire scenario would have been put in place, rather just parts of it depending on what happened throughout the war and the peace that follows).

Thanks to SRegan for this incredible map!

Picture.png

I've read from a variety of sources that Mexico had plans to demand Louisiana and Southern Alabama (though no mention of Mississippi, which would make for strange borders).

Last edited:
I've read from a variety of sources that Mexico had plans to demand Lousiana and Southern Alabama (though no mention of Mississipi, which would make for strange borders). It would definitely take a pre-war POD for that to be remotely possible.

I feel like they probably would have conflated southern Alabama and Mississippi together, essentially recreating West Florida.

The maximum war aims of Germany in WWII with colonial envisions from "Hitler's Table Talk". Please note this scenario would have only taken place in a complete and total victory in Europe and a defeat of every single country who happened to be at war with Germany at the time (in other words, it's incredibly unlikely this entire scenario would have been put in place, rather just parts of it depending on what happened throughout the war and the peace that follows).

Thanks to SRegan for this incredible map!

Thanks - worth noting though this was really just an UCS adaption of the maps and quotes compiled by Totentanz0 on Deviantart - he's since gone on to do Soviet and Yugoslavia maps based on historical strategic aims.

Worth also pointing out that this only represents Hitler's own views - other inner circle Nazis had their own ideas; Ribbentrop wanted a grandiose Weltreich including a resurrected Mittelafrika, Werner Best wanted France and Spain broken into statelets to further solidify German dominance, and if Himmler had his way, a pseudo-independent Burgundy would stretch from the English Channel to the Mediterranean. Goebbels has less overt quotes, except rather intriguing one where he talks about overturning the Treaty of Verdun (843!), which is basically code for annexing France.

I'm sad this thread has died. So many interesting things out there.

Yeah, I really love the resources it provided. We should make an effort to revive it.

I'll probably do a small map series showing the Roosevelt Plan and Morgenthau Plan, the Bakker-Schut Plan and the various possibilities discussed for Germany's new eastern border (e.g. Nysa Kłodzka; Oder-Bóbr-Kwisa line; etc) by the end of the week, if everything goes according to plan.

Another thing I'd also like to do are the various partition plans for British India .

Well, there are a few others from the wiki that haven't been mentioned yet:
1. The aims of various countries in WWI
aoww1.png

2. Not a war per se, but there were plans in Austriahungary to make a United States of Greater Austria

3. I know there was some French Minister who wanted Germany to be divided back into various kingdoms after WWII so they could never threaten France again.

Pretty sure the Austrian war aims were to get some land along the border with Romania to shore up mountain passes, but to otherwise not get any new territory. And to cut up Serbia totally and dole it amongst neighbors.

Pretty sure the Austrian war aims were to get some land along the border with Romania to shore up mountain passes, but to otherwise not get any new territory. And to cut up Serbia totally and dole it amongst neighbors.
The book I used was a little on the older side.:eek:

Wait, did they just give the Austrians a half Czech chunk of Moravia while leaving the Czechs with an almost half German Bohemia?

Yeah, definitely looks like it. Maybe the guy proposing that plan would also have wanted population transfers en-mass, moving the Germans in Bohemia into Austrian Czechia, while resettling the Moravian Czechs in Bohemia.

Also here's my patch for both the Roosevelt and Morgenthau Plan. Since I couldn't find a good map for the latter, it's just an estimate.

Roosevelt Plan Germany postWW2.png