Of Shamrocks and shells: A Central Powers Ireland TL

This is may first TL like this so all help is greatly appreciated. I know that the thought of the Irish joining the Central Powers in WWI could be considered ASB by some but i thought it is a cool idea. There isn't going to be a new chapter every day but at least every couple of days so dont be asking all the time! Also i will be introducing people who never existed in OTL so dont be trying to put this in the ASB forum, give this a chance.
so here it is: Of Shamrocks and shells: A Central Powers Ireland TL
-------------------------------------
Of Shamrocks and shells: A Central Powers Ireland TL
Prelude: Cruinniú faill (a chance meeting)
Limerick harbour 11/09/1915
the sun was setting in the west as the two men sat on the bench, talking of dark things to come.
the first man, a tall thin chap with balding auburn hair spoke with a thin, almost liquid like irish accent.
"So, the deals ago, your ships carrying weapons and men will land here in two months time and the government of the Irish Republic will support the Germans in all matters, including war"
the second man, a large portly man with a thick moustache concealing his upper lip, spoke this time with a thick, heavy Berlin accent.
"Yes, Fifteen thousand fully armed men, Thirty thousand Gewehr 98s, ten thousand Luger pistols and one thousand MG08s. Your men will be armed with our weapons and you will help fight our war"
The two men shook hands and stood up, with the first man standing almost a foot taller than the second.
"What forces can we expect from the British?" The German asked
"Very little, most of their men are in Belgium and France, so it shohld be and easy war" the Irish replied
"No war is easy" the German said dryly

the two men split paths, with the Irish, a Patrick Donaghugh, going back to Dublin to his commanders, and the German, Hans Stengel, heading back to the shil that brought him here from Hamburg.
the Irish have joined the war.

Last edited:

Garrison

Donor
So it's 1915, there is no Irish Republic, the British control the seas, the OTL 1916 Easter Rising wasn't all that widely supported, until the British decide to execute the ringleaders, so where's the support for this German backed act of treason supposed to come from? The German's leaked like sieve so the chances of them keeping this a secret are close to zero. If by some miracle they get the arms ashore it is not going to lead to a 'Central Powers Ireland' but to a bloody suppression by the British and you've set back the prospect of the creation of the Irish Republic by a generation or two in the process.

So yes your idea is completely ASB.

So it's 1915, there is no Irish Republic, the British control the seas, the OTL 1916 Easter Rising wasn't all that widely supported, until the British decide to execute the ringleaders, so where's the support for this German backed act of treason supposed to come from? The German's leaked like sieve so the chances of them keeping this a secret are close to zero. If by some miracle they get the arms ashore it is not going to lead to a 'Central Powers Ireland' but to a bloody suppression by the British and you've set back the prospect of the creation of the Irish Republic by a generation or two in the process.

Generation or two seems rather much. The British were masters at cack handed terrorism when faced with rebellion in Ireland at this point so its certainly not going to be the rather moderate and naïve volunteers who go down as the butchers of the piece.

subscribed!
:p

Thanks for your support :D the first chapter should be up by 5pm GMT

Right, here i go
i know all of this, its called letting a story develop
if your weren't just waiting for this to "fail" and actually see it through i take those things into account.
Like i said earlier, give it a chance

Chapter one: An turas fada (The long voyage)​

50 miles north of Scotland 27/11/1915
The small fleet had just rounded the Shetland Islands, and was on the lookout for any British interception.
There were several merchant ships carrying the promised troops and weapons and they had little over a day until they reached Limerick.
the ships had left Hamburg on the twenty fifth and travelled north along the Danish coast and then along the Norwegian coast, the British ships had no idea.
The troops being carried were of regiments raised purely for this purpose, they were designated as the 1st Dublin Volunteers regiment and the 2nd Dublin Volunteers regiment. These men had been trained quickly and were purely to enforce the Irish troops.
the Fleet was just heading past the Isle of Skye when they were spotted by a fishing boat, and the orers made it clear, no witnesses
the guns on the Point ship began to turn towards the small vessel bobbing up and down in the waves
suddenly the ship was gone, blown apart by the gun.
no witnesses

The Stags head public house, Dublin 30/11/1915
"Can we trust the Germans?" The young Irishman asked?
"Well, we better, we've got fifteen thousand men from them and weapons" replies James Murphy, the oldest of the sixth
The man at the head of the table, Patrick Donaghugh, downed his pint and gave his thoughts
"We cant trust the British, they're removing our good Irish boys and sending them to fight in the fucking French mud when they should be here looking after our fucking soil, so we're kicking the British fuckers out with the Germans help"
"Cant we do it on our own?" Said the youngest one again
"Fucking listen here Sean, we are having their help, we are gonna shoot the British and we will have an independent Ireland with no fucking English input, you understand? If that means we need the Germans help then so fucking be it"
Sean understood and finished his drink
"For a free Ireland, all prices must be paid" James said
"Exactly, so Lads we've been recruiting an army for the last few months, how many troops do we have?" Patrick asked.
"Around ten thousand in Leinster, about five thousand in Connaught, eight thousand in Munster and a few thousand in Ulster. So about 26 thousand in total, Sir" replied John, who had served with Patrick in France in 1914.
"Good, get them all moved out to Connaught, so we can arm them and start training"
all of them grabbed their coats amd jackets and finished their drinks
"We will meet in Limerick when the German ships land"

So 15000 troops plus their own weapons and weapons for the Irish forces, just how many ships do you think the RN is going to miss transitting through the blockade area in a concentrated unit?

And there's no way that any Irish force could raise 26,000 without the Intelligence services figuring out something was in the wind nor would they be able to quickly/quietly move to the West without somebody asking why so many thousands of men were heading that way, there's a reason why the IRB force in the Rising was small, less than 2000 in Dublin. Speaking of the IRB, are these guys connected to them or what?

Technically Ireland was in the Central Powers OTL; the 1916 Proclamation referred to 'our gallant allies in Europe' after all.
Also, give him some time to write before criticising.

Garrison

Donor
Thanks for your support :D the first chapter should be up by 5pm GMT

Right, here i go
i know all of this, its called letting a story develop
if your weren't just waiting for this to "fail" and actually see it through i take those things into account.
Like i said earlier, give it a chance

And having read your second entry it's quite clear you have no intention of letting reality get in the way. An army of 30,000 raised in secret and armed by the Germans? Yeah if there were any doubts this was ASB you just removed them.

So 15000 troops plus their own weapons and weapons for the Irish forces, just how many ships do you think the RN is going to miss transitting through the blockade area in a concentrated unit?

And there's no way that any Irish force could raise 26,000 without the Intelligence services figuring out something was in the wind nor would they be able to quickly/quietly move to the West without somebody asking why so many thousands of men were heading that way, there's a reason why the IRB force in the Rising was small, less than 2000 in Dublin. Speaking of the IRB, are these guys connected to them or what?

I havent said the British don't know just wait and see ;)
if you had a way to kill all the rats at once would you?
And it'll be clear if they're attached to the IRB next time

Lateknight

Banned
Seems legit I will be reading this. More implausible works have actually been published and this is entertaining .

Garrison

Donor
Technically Ireland was in the Central Powers OTL; the 1916 Proclamation referred to 'our gallant allies in Europe' after all.
Also, give him some time to write before criticising.

I'm not criticizing his writing, I ma criticizing the fact that he has put it in Post 1900 where there are certain expectations as far as plausibility goes. This work doesn't belong in this section of the board, put it in Writers or ASB and I'll happily suspend disbelief. Put it in Post 1900 and you are going to be questioned on every implausible detail.

Seems legit I will be reading this. More implausible works have actually been published and this is entertaining .

And because it is implausible and makes a number of frankly absurd assumptions it should not be in Post 1900. The forum has sections for works that aren't well rooted in fact, if someone puts their work in Post 1900 they are inviting harsh critique and an expectation to provide a plausible framework, you don't put a thread in this section and expect an easy ride on the facts.

Last edited:
I'm not criticizing his writing, I ma criticizing the fact that he has put it in Post 1900 where there are certain expectations as far as plausibility goes. This work doesn't belong in this section of the board, put it in Writers or ASB and I'll happily suspend disbelief. Put it in Post 1900 and you are going to be questioned on every implausible detail.

Im afraid that of it gets moved it wont receive half as many posts or contributions :(
but if you think thats for the best....

Garrison

Donor
Im afraid that of it gets moved it wont receive half as many posts or contributions :(
but if you think thats for the best....

There are plenty of good threads in ASB that get lots of posts, for something like this writers might be best, gives you freedom to create your story as you see fit without the expectations that come with posting in in this section of the board. Please understand I'm not trying to be mean but those other sections exist for a reason.

There are plenty of good threads in ASB that get lots of posts, for something like this writers might be best, gives you freedom to create your story as you see fit without the expectations that come with posting in in this section of the board. Please understand I'm not trying to be mean but those other sections exist for a reason.

I understand your being mean :)
if you reckon it'll help, then it needs to be placed in Writers :D