The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

worldmap

Banned
btw. i seem to have a problem with some inner borders, since they are not consistent on many maps, like the status of us states, or soviet or british crown countries
for example i prefer rcs 97 97 97 rather than rcs 170 172 170

as promised the Historical Bam map of the year 814
Link: http://i.imgur.com/gLn68B6.png

There's too many approximations and mistakes. When I had to make it myself on worlda, I had a rather different take even if some choices can be obviously debated.

For exemple, Avars shouldn't show on a 814 map, Sindh should be treated apart, Arabo-Andalusian march were more reduced (and Banu Qasi shouldn't even show up), Norway wasn't unified nor was Danemark... (I suspect you used the old 814 map and worldhistorymapsl. These things keeps popping up in spite of their deep innacuracy)

Mind if I redo the map? I may need the rivers basemap, tough. What's the most recent basemap?

If you want I can try to adapt the Ancient and Medieval worlda map that use ARCS.(I had to correct Central Asia on the worlda map as well, actually)

Last edited:
This is the most recent river basemap.

rivers.png

Okay, there's British Island in 814.
- I'm not sure if Pecsaete and Lindsay were turned into ealdormancies, as were Hwicce and Magonsaete. If someone have a clue about it...

- The situation in Ireland is a bit too blurry, to me, to represent the kingdoms : some sub-kingdoms traditionally assimilated to given kingdoms seems to have been on their own, and without clear Ard Rì...
I'll check deeper later, but it would be first for checking where were the first Viking bases in the island, I think
Again, if someone have a clue...

(The borders aren't precise : I just based myself on either natural features or some relatively recent maps about such or such region, checking with Anglo-Saxon Encyclopedia. They are supposed to be roughly correct, but not in detail. Feel free to check.)

Brit814.png

There was apparently an Ealdorman for Devon later in the century at least. Odda held it from 851 but there was Karl/Ceorle before him. It looks like Ceorle might have been the first, but it's not unreasonable to suppose that the title may have been created by 814.

Looking here, it appears Lindsey at least is unlikely to have been an Ealdormanship- it's all very, very patchy and full of guesswork of course but there doesn't seem to be any evidence for local rulers after the late 8th Century.

Elbe's region looks a bit off. The river (or its immediate region) doesn't really fit the maps I have : did it moved importantly historically?
I'm going to use, at least for this portion, cjblack's map : maybe it could be a good idea to check it over.

EDIT : Mmm...Cjblack's Elbe is a bit off as well...That's going to be fun.

I'd need the Franconian Saale to be added. Can someone do it, please? (Meanwhile, I'll do Spain)

Last edited:

worldmap

Banned
so are those administrative borders color codes adopted by everyone or we can choose, since i have noticed theat they differ from map to map sometimes ?

so are those administrative borders color codes adopted by everyone or we can choose, since i have noticed theat they differ from map to map sometimes ?
there are officil ones but yeah most of the time everyone choices what he like or thinks which is the best.....:eek:

Is there a BAM of the world around 1740/1748/1750? I've found a 1789 but something closer to these earlier years would be very much appreciated :D