Better Jurassic Park sequels

ThePest179

Banned
Not including Jurassic World, of course.

Using any POD after the first Jurassic Park, make the sequels (The Lost World, III) as good as possible. Good luck.

Lost World ending with them escaping the Raptors would've made it a lot better. For JPIII I suggest saving the T-Rex VS Spino fight for the end and have Rexie win. Also NO FEATHERS ON THE RAPTORS!

Get some dinosaur DNA and reproduce them. Get them on the set.
Anything would be better than that shitty CGI.

How about having the Lost World follow the plot of Creighton's book, and follow the exploits of a small group. Instead of introducing the largely nondescript team of mercenaries that serve mostly as raptor food in the movie after displaying less team work and tactical skill than a pop warner football team.

Stephen Spielberg resisting his urge to recreate King Kong with a a T-Rex in SD would also help. But if he had to go that route, then it should have ended with the rampaging dinosaur going down after some kind of show down with the police, or perhaps an A-10 Warthog. Having the murderous monster transported away and released was ridiculous...maybe the people of San Francisco would be so inclined, but not San Diego!

The Lost World: Being more faithful for books and no T-Rex to San Diego.

JPIII: Not so shitty CGI, better plot and screenwriting. Sorry, I can't say much more. Too long time when I have seen the movie.

How about having the Lost World follow the plot of Creighton's book, and follow the exploits of a small group. Instead of introducing the largely nondescript team of mercenaries that serve mostly as raptor food in the movie after displaying less team work and tactical skill than a pop warner football team.

This.

A third film in the series might have InGen or a foolish tour operator attempt what it can to salvage the attraction of the islands by creating air tours through the biological preserve there. A plane crashes on the island with families on it which must escape. The tour guide is their only hope of getting of Isla Nublar alive. A larger dinosaur appears.

Or it will be about dinosaurs escaping onto the South American mainland into the jungles of Costa Rica. A special team commissioned by the Costa Rican government and UN is sent to find and contain the predators, probably raptors, and to either wipe them out or return them to the islands before they kill many people and irreversible destroy the ecosystem.

I think firstly including a bit more of the first book into the first film would help - ie either Malcom or Hammond actually die.
Then change the second book to be less "scientists created VJD" and more "unrestrained business causes environmental disaster" and the JPII will likely follow the plot more.
That means that JPIII wont try to use the remaining Lost World plot and failing cause half the cast aren't there. Plus if JPII is more successful it will have more budget for better CGI and will possibly follow what JPIV is today.

Archibald

Banned
The Lost World: Being more faithful for books and no T-Rex to San Diego.

JPIII: Not so shitty CGI, better plot and screenwriting. Sorry, I can't say much more. Too long time when I have seen the movie.

No Tea Leoni would help. A lot. :rolleyes: Couldn't stand her stupid face. I loved the moment when the Raptors humiliated her, but I wished they could have eaten her.

I remember the mobile phone ringing into the T-rex belly, warning that the dinosaur was coming. How SILLY that gag was... :(

it should have ended with the rampaging dinosaur going down after some kind of show down with the police, or perhaps an A-10 Warthog

Oh God, I would love to see this. T-rex vs A-10, Godzilla style.

JP2 No reason to limit JP2 to Crichton's novel as it exists OTL. The book was written with a film sequel in mind so whatever Spielberg wants Spielberg gets. Have Spielberg ask James Cameron to direct JP2 as a darker and more violent film - Hard PG-13 or R. Since JP (the book and film) made it very obvious that dinosaurs had been escaping to the mainland, set the entire story in the jungles and villages of Costa Rica, where local people (and tasty tourists) are being attacked by what the scientists believe must be isolated compys, raptors, and pterodactyls. A team of Ingen scientistss and "Asset Control" mercs (including one or two of the original cast) are sent to investigate and capture or kill what is thought to be only a few isolated escapees (who can't breed). But of course "nature found a way" and they discover breeding populations, including a huge nest colony of raptors who are breeding, claiming territories, killing livestock and people, and spreading like mad. Just for grins, a few biggies (T-Rex, Triceratops, etc) have also somehow gotten to the mainland as well, leading our heroes to suspect some of these may have been engineered by an even less scrupulous unknown Ingen competitior. Move ends with a massive dino hunt and battle a la Aliens, with the compys poisoned, the biggies captured, and raptor nest finally napalmed and supposedly the problem is solved.

JP3 But of course it isn't. Although the dino escapees from JP2 are all killed or captured, rumors persist that other, far-less scrupulous evil-doers have obtained embryos and the technology. They doing what Hoskins wants in JW...engineer hybrid dinos...but for purposes of terrorism not "normal" military purposes. But once again (halfway through the movie) "nature finds that way again" and the hybrids (several variety of intelligent dinos bred with mammalian and even human DNA intermixed kill the baddies and escape to terrorize and eat people. In a principally military/covert ops operation (probably in NW Pakistan or someplace similar) an international (NATO) team of combat operatives including a few geneticists and animal behavioral experts are sent in to investigate and eliminate the monsters. After a fair amount of claws, teeth, booms, and bangs happen, the people discover that the super-raptors who seem to be in charge have an almost human-level of intelligence and communication with them is possible. Peace is negotiated and the earth now has two sentient terrestrial species. Film ends on a hopeful note.

Oh yes. Put feathers on dinos as much as possible in both movies.

I remember the mobile phone ringing into the T-rex belly, warning that the dinosaur was coming. How SILLY that gag was... :(
Oh God, I would love to see this. T-rex vs A-10, Godzilla style.

I actually liked the cell phone gag. A clever update of the crocodile and clock from Peter Pan. Yep, just for once I'd like to have seen what would really happen when a T-Rex comes up again modern weaponry handled capably by real soldiers or police. Dead Dino.

In LW, Add some hidden Raptors/Troodons/Compies/Saurornitholestes in the ship taking the T-Rex to San Diego, and let them escape into the wild, and thats it. Let the people focus on the escaping T-Rex.

Add as a final scene, Malcom watching the dock repairs and the ship going to the islands, when suddenly finds a Raptor claw.

So, JP3 will be more interesting, with a very fast growing population of theropods in mainland, spreading everywhere.

Speaking as someone who disliked the Lost world Book more than the movie I have a few different changes in mind
The first thing I would do is make it so that Roland is a part of the main research team as security and operations and his motivation isn't so much "hunt the Rex" as it is "see, and possibly hunt, the dinosaurs", also remove Vince Vaughn's character from the plot and Establish that Sarah has never been out of a museum before but went thinking it couldn't be that hard.

Furthermore, instead of a second group of dinosaur hunters we have a group of cartel members who had no idea the Island had dinosaurs and were just trying to set up a base. The two groups would still have to work together to escape, but this would make the second group a little more dangerous and hopefully give them a little more character.

Reign in Dr. Malcolm's Monologues about the evils of science and remove that whole San Diego thing and you have yourself a better movie in my opinion. Of course it could be worse.

I honestly don't think 'Jurassic Park as Aliens' is going to work. The thing is, as much as people like fighting dinosaurs they also like like dinosaurs. This is why the book ending of the (fictional) Costa Rican airforce firebombing the island was dropped: the audenice want to see the good guys survive but it's kind of awesome to see the (non evil) dinosaurs survive too.

Sure the Raptors can die because their smarts make them seem evil when they do their killing but a T-Rex is just like a huge lion, and honestly based on the first film has too much personality to gun down.

And of course, in the first movie only four people actually died after the dinosaurs escaped: the lawyer, Nedry, Sameul L. Jackson, and Muldoon. Of those the T-Rex only killed one...and it was funny so that's forgivable.

Overall though, I agree. Killing the dinosaurs onscreen would be a huge misstep IMO. It would have been different if the bald guy from The Lost World had managed to kill a T-Rex, because it was pretty clear he was awesome. Killing them in large numbers would make the movie a lot less enjoyable.

I really liked the second movie. I thought it was a lot of fun, I enjoyed the T-Rex in San Diego and how they paid homage to cheesy 1950s monster films, and Jeff Goldblum's character is my favorite character in any of the JP movies.

ThePest179

Banned
I really liked the second movie. I thought it was a lot of fun, I enjoyed the T-Rex in San Diego and how they paid homage to cheesy 1950s monster films, and Jeff Goldblum's character is my favorite character in any of the JP movies.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it too. I just think it could have been better.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it too. I just think it could have been better.

One thing I think they could have done was make the INGen guys a bit more competent. They really were a pretty cartoonish bunch or as Malcolm called them, "a couple of dozen Marlboro Men." (although that was one of my favorite lines in the film)