Cato's Cavalry

And yes, this brings Book Three to an end. The Cato dynasty will continue. And the future will be filled with Vikings, as suggested. Cato's Cavalry will march on. :cool:

Thank you for your writings Cymraeg, this one of my favourite timelines I follow on ah.com. So the Cato bloodline continues, are we looking at another jump in years to the next book, if so will we be seeing perhaps a journey over the seas to the west? The first expedition to North America would be awesome.

Wherever you take this should be great, thank you again for your hard work.

So Western Europe is divided between Rome (Italy), Gaul, Hispania, and Britannia.
What does Western Africa look like? Any trouble between Cyrenaica and Lepcis Magna? Power plays in Carthago and Mauretania?

Fantastic ending to this chapter of the tale! As a Latinist, however, I must correct the last words. It should be "Britannia invicta!" for as it stands, it more or less means, "Britannia, I am irritated!"

The Sons of Lodbrok... will be going home in a f*cking ambulance :cool:

Excellent work as always

Depends how they're presented.
They could end up coming on a fast ship and trading a fast ship and compass design for Stapaeda or somesuch, making Britannia Invictor more of a Naval power and creating a wave of Norse Horse raiders heading into Rusland.

Fantastic ending to this chapter of the tale! As a Latinist, however, I must correct the last words. It should be "Britannia invicta!" for as it stands, it more or less means, "Britannia, I am irritated!"

Sod, let me change that. The perils of posting late at night whilst exhausted...

Any chance of a few stories about the black sheep scions of the Cato dynasty who scandalously join the Navy or -gasp!- the Infantry?

Wonderful end to this book! I hope that the twins signal that there will be more Cato's in the future (A big successful family) after a few generations if there's only the one it looks like the line is on pretty shaky ground.

Last edited:
Whilst walking the dog this morning I suddenly remembered that I had omitted a major plot point. Sod. The latest update has been updated again!

Rutilat semper. Which makes me think what is the state of the language by now? I assume that admin is done in as near classical Latin as possible (the written form is always more conservative than the spoken) but how much has Britannian Latin drifted from Gaulish Latin, let alone Italian Latin?

So Western Europe is divided between Rome (Italy), Gaul, Hispania, and Britannia.
What does Western Africa look like? Any trouble between Cyrenaica and Lepcis Magna? Power plays in Carthago and Mauretania?

That's what I also wondered. I guess Northern Africa is a relatively peaceful and quiet part of Rome/Italy?

Whilst walking the dog this morning I suddenly remembered that I had omitted a major plot point. Sod. The latest update has been updated again!

Thank you. I had been starting to wonder what happened to Belisarius. Makes me think that Belisarius is Chekhov's "gun on the mantle" for the next book.

Rutilat semper. Which makes me think what is the state of the language by now? I assume that admin is done in as near classical Latin as possible (the written form is always more conservative than the spoken) but how much has Britannian Latin drifted from Gaulish Latin, let alone Italian Latin?

I would imagine that across the board, Vulgar Latin dialects will be a touch less vulgar, given the continuance of more-or-less stable governments and the absence of Germanic et al migrations. There would be a relaxation of classic grammar in speech, but to a lesser degree than OTL. That being said, in Britannian Latin especially, there would be a bevy of Latinized borrowings from Gaelic in common speech, along with a more antiquated prose-style, given its insular nature.

I would imagine that across the board, Vulgar Latin dialects will be a touch less vulgar, given the continuance of more-or-less stable governments and the absence of Germanic et al migrations. There would be a relaxation of classic grammar in speech, but to a lesser degree than OTL. That being said, in Britannian Latin especially, there would be a bevy of Latinized borrowings from Gaelic in common speech, along with a more antiquated prose-style, given its insular nature.

Seeing as Latin never fully displaced the local tongues, I'd venture a more Latinized Gaelic, more so than today's Welsh language.

Yay!

Wonderful closing chapter and a fitting end to your story arc! I am enjoying how Britannia is becoming a safe haven for the various outcasts of the empire. How knows who will show up next :) Is it still possible to order your work in print?

Wonderful closing chapter and a fitting end to your story arc! I am enjoying how Britannia is becoming a safe haven for the various outcasts of the empire. How knows who will show up next :) Is it still possible to order your work in print?

Cato's Cavalry and Cato's Cavalry 2 are available on Amazon in both electronic and book form. Cato's Cavalry 3 is being proofread right now as my wife works on the cover art and the maps.

Can anyone recommend a good site where I can get a free map? I'm finishing the proofing at the moment but I think that it'll need a map and so far I've been left frustrated by my attempts at sorting one out.