Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect a significant other party in the early 20th century. We were talking of something to represent the various left parties. And Mexico had a Laborist Party too, sooo....

And this list is way too convergent.

The leftists and labor would be a Social Progressive Party, a US "eternal" third party, with relevance in the elections.

Taking the choice of Jamaica, I tried to fit some historical figures in this "OTL" United States. The four Filipino states would be Luzon, Manila, Visayas and Mindanao?

I'm not well-versed in Filipino Geography, so I really don't know what should be the four Filipino states, but I personally think that'd be good.

Last edited:
Nofix already indicated that there would be a "Cooperative Party", so I personally think that's probably what the left-wing party would be called.

Like I said earlier "OTL areas where the Progressives, the Farmer-Laborers, the Nonpartisan League all flourished had one big Federal equivalent (Name Undecided) while keeping their state parties unique and oriented in the states interest." State third parties would rise and fall (like say Social Credit), and they could work with big federal equivalents while keeping their own unique identity and home party (just for example, Tommy Douglas would be a member of the Federal Justice party, while running on a statewide Cooperative Party).

Like I said earlier "OTL areas where the Progressives, the Farmer-Laborers, the Nonpartisan League all flourished had one big Federal equivalent (Name Undecided) while keeping their state parties unique and oriented in the states interest." State third parties would rise and fall (like say Social Credit), and they could work with big federal equivalents while keeping their own unique identity and home party (just for example, Tommy Douglas would be a member of the Federal Justice party, while running on a statewide Cooperative Party).

Forgot that part. My bad.

Taking the choice of Jamaica, I tried to fit some historical figures in this "OTL" United States. The four Filipino states would be Luzon, Manila, Visayas and Mindanao?

Just three are likely. Manila didn't have that high a population back when the Pilipinas were likely admitted.

1978: Levesque's first term proves to be a progressive bonanza, what many historians call the Quiet Revolution's final act. Popular social programs such as no-fault auto insurance are introduced, though campaign finance reform is filibustered by Democrats. Once again a referendum is enough to override Democratic objections, as Levesque prepares for his planned independence referendum. Personally and politically popular, Democrats turn to intellectual Claude Ryan and veteran Assemblyman Raymond Mailloux as their ticket. With little reason for swing voters to be unhappy, Levesque cruises to reelection.

attachment.php

1982: A sharp recession and failed referendum has badly damaged Levesque's administration, and many Democrats believe ex-Treasurer Raymond Garneau would be their best bet at unseating him. To their shock and anger, former nominee Claude Ryan narrowly wins the nomination on nationalist votes. Even then the general election is close until Levesque manages to corrall swing voters worried at the right-wing Democratic platform, enough for a fairly narrow victory. Privately PNQ strategists believed that Levesque would have lost to Garneau. PNQ retains control of the entire administration, with narrowed majorities in both houses. Pierre-Marc Johnson replaces Marc-Andre Bedard as AG, who successfully runs for Senate.

attachment.php

1986: While the economy has recovered, the Levesque administration has essentially collapsed in midterm with both houses turning to Democratic control in 1984's midterms. Many ultranationalists have resigned from the administration in dismay at Levesque's plan to continue a regular progressive administration rather than push again for independence. LG Jacques-Yvan Morin was replaced by Bedard and Parizeau as Treasurer by Yves Duhaime. Ill and despondent, Levesque confirms the obvious by announcing his retirement in September 1985. AG Pierre-Marc Johnson, by far the administration's most popular member, is the heavy primary frontrunner but faced minor challenges from a gaggle of legislators to his left. Democrats renominate ex-Gov. Robert Bourassa and Assemblywoman Lise Bacon, who led their rivals by 20-30% in polls. Despite Johnson's popularity, he is weighed down by the anvil of a radioactive administration. Bourassa wins the biggest landslide since 1946.

attachment.php

1990: A sluggish economy and increased nationalist sentiment are relatively minor irritants for swing voters, as the Democratic administration retains mildly popular. PNQ nominates ex-Treasurer Jacques Parizeau and Sen. Guy Chevrette, who while losing as expected re-establish a future base. After the 1986 disaster some had questioned the PNQ's future viability, which was no longer in doubt.

attachment.php

1994: With a recessionary economy, huge deficits and nationalist unpopularity, Democrats lost the Senate in 1992 and narrowly retained an Assembly majority. Ill with melanoma, Bourassa announces in November 1993 he will retire. Parizeau picks Assembly Minority Leader Lucien Bouchard as his running mate, while Democrats nominate Comptroller Daniel Johnson Jr. and House Speaker Monique Gagnon-Tremblay. With both candidates mediocre campaigners, the election is competitive but swing voters opt for change. One noteworthy event in this election is the GOP's rebirth, led by conservative activist Mario Dumont. Dumont wins his own Assembly seat but nothing else.
attachment.php

1998: After the failed independence referendum of June 1996, Parizeau resigns as Governor and Bouchard is elevated to the governorship. Bouchard's priority is a budget surplus, which is achieved with heavy cuts and some local tax increases in conjunction with Treasurer Pauline Marois and the legislature. Bouchard picks Senate Majority Leader Bernard Landry to fill the LG vacancy. The charismatic Bouchard is popular among swing voters, while Congressman Jean Charest is new to state politics and campaigns poorly.

attachment.php

2002: The aging PNQ administration has become unpopular as its cuts took effect and Bouchard tired of politics. In June 2001 he resigned as Governor, making Landry Governor. There were rumours that Landry might be challenged in a primary by Marois, but those came to nothing. Landry and Marois moved their administration rightward, with Marois' signature social program of universal daycare being enacted in February 2002. This recaptured some progressive enthusiasm but swing voters were still looking for change. A resurgent Dumont-led GOP led Landry, Charest in a hypothetical jungle primary, which alarmed many progressive voters. Both major parties turned their fire on Dumont, who had to moderate his platform as its right-wing contents alienated swing voters. Dumont fell well behind and never recovered. However Dumont took enough votes to force a runoff election for the first time in over a century. Knowing he could alienate voters with an endorsement, Dumont opted to make none. In the runoff election Landry unleashed harsh attacks on Charest, accusing him of being a stalking horse for Dumont who would dismantle social programs in right-wing glee. While Charest's program was more moderate than Dumont's, his own federal GOP past came back to haunt him. Despite last-minute polls showing a Democratic victory, Landry managed to squeeze past Charest on urban turnout.

attachment.php

2006: Landry announced in October 2005 he would not seek a second full term, leaving the field to Marois and Assemblyman Andre Boisclair. Marois campaigned as a "responsible progressive" and dismissed her rival as an unqualified lightweight who could claim no achievements for nationalism or progressivism. She won the primary 2-1 and faced Dumont and Democrat Raymond Bachand in the general election. To everyone's surprise, Dumont once again surged to the lead in a 3-way race which remained close through election day. It was a long election night, and to general astonishment Dumont edged Bachand to claim a runoff slot. Marois led 35.2-33.7-31.1. The runoff election was essentially a foregone conclusion, as Marois effectively mobilized swing and progressive voters against what PNQ Assemblyman Alex Boulerice memorably called the Red Menace. Republicans became the Assembly minority party while PNQ retained a plurality. In acknowledgement of the Democratic rout, Dumont allowed enough Assemblymen to vote for PNQ control of the Assembly. Marois, fearing backlash from both sides if she interfered, remained aloof.

attachment.php

Here's a PoD for the expanded US:

No Quebec Act. The Quebecers are not amused, to put it mildly, and when the Americans rebel, they join them...

That is by far the best POD for such a state to come about.

Likewise if we are going to have a United States include all of Mexico then we might as well include Central America (bar Panama), Jamaica/Cayman Islands, The Bahamas/T&C and the British Virgin Islands as well.

Speaking of which on The Ark Forum I have been talking about such a state, perhaps I could create a TL or Shared World out of it.

Isaiah C. Woodley is the current President of Deseret and also the President of the Apostolic Brotherhood of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The Apostolic Brotherhood is a Fundamentalist Mormon sect that was formed in the late 20th century by Mormon fundamentalist splitter Leland Woodley. Leland Woodley believed himself to be a modern day Brigham Young, so shortly after the Third World War, he purchased a surplus rocket and led his sect off Earth to Mars, where he founded the city of New Jerusalem. It was soon discovered that New Jerusalem sat over a large aquifer of water in the middle of the Martian wastes. This, and the fact that it had been built near the ruins of an old canal system, meant that the Apostolic Brotherhood and the Woodley family was raking in the billions from water drilling and canal tariffs. Leland Woodley founded the State of Deseret and named himself President.

Over the next century, the Woodley family has retained an iron grip on the dual presidencies of Deseret and the Apostolic Brotherhood. The family is worth billions, but the wealth has been diluted due to the large number of children in each generation. However, many of the various half-siblings, cousins, uncles and other relatives are purged every time there's a shift in leadership. This was quite noticeable when Isaiah C. Woodley succeeded his father. There have been persistent rumors about his personal cruelty and how most of the family disliked him--which is why it was a surprise to many observers that he eventually succeeded the late James Harmston Woodley. He managed to secure the loyalty of the Deseret Military during his time as the Secretary of State Defense, and he had the backing of the powerful Snow family, who held large holdings in canals, railroads and defense contracts. The new Woodley is married to the twin daughters of Alphonse Snow, Louisa and Charlotte, both of whom have become active participants in government. His senior wife, April Decker, is quite personally popular with the general population as she puts a more humanizing face to the current regime.

The State of Deseret is a country that is wracked with significant structural problems. There is a high degree of wealth and income inequality, as almost all of the country's wealth is tied up in a small ruling class--primarily the white, Terran First Families. There is almost no middle class, with most of the middle class professional work done by temporary migrant workers, but there is a very large working class comprised mostly of indigenous Martian humans and drazani. Prices for water have dropped significantly over the past decade, while there is growing international pressure to isolate and sanction Deseret (primarily due to ongoing human rights violations). The United States continues to prop up the Woodley regime despite international pressure, and it has repeatedly vetoed attempts to redirect canal paths around Deseret. Support for the Woodley regime remains controversial, with mainstream American Mormons walking a tightrope. It is widely rumored that Deseret is a nuclear power, with an estimated 1,500-2,500 warhead nuclear arsenal with intercontinental missiles and a fully-integrated anti-missile defense system (provided, according to rumors, by American defense contractors).

mnXRsyZ.png

Zioneer

Banned
As a Mormon myself, I have to say.... hooray for Mormon Space Assad? Seems interesting, at the least. Love the stereotypical names, they're great.

As a Mormon myself, I have to say.... hooray for Mormon Space Assad? Seems interesting, at the least. Love the stereotypical names, they're great.

Tell me, if you were going to be a theocratic dictator of another planet, how would you design it? I for one would formally organize the church leadership with myself as a Pope analogue: Something like, President of Deseret and King of All Mormons.

Jcw3

Banned
Holy shit. 2000 nukes? 27 kids? This guy doesn't play it small!

Welcome back, Mike. Good to see you in this thread. Do you take requests, by any chance?

Zioneer

Banned
Tell me, if you were going to be a theocratic dictator of another planet, how would you design it? I for one would formally organize the church leadership with myself as a Pope analogue: Something like, President of Deseret and King of All Mormons.

Well, even the insane polygamist split-offs (hi Warren Jeffs) tend to just go for "President", though "One Mighty and Strong" is sometimes favored by the truly crazy types.

Usually though, they gussy up the name of their church, like "United Apostolic Brethren", "Church of Jesus Christ with the Elijah Message", "Order of Ancients", "Church of the Firstborn of the Fulness of Times", etc.

If I designed a Theocratic dictatorship, I'd probably go for a god-king esque approach, possibly like the Inca kings, or whatnot. Something like Voice of God In Mortality, One Mighty and Strong, True Shepard of Deseret, and Prince of Mankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.