Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
George...Voinovich...? As in the OTL U.S. Senator from Ohio...?

Problem? What problem? I don't have a problem! I can stop making infoboxes any time I want! I just don't want to.

QSIQ6Ky.gif

George Voinovich, Prisoner No. F-776-GV - 11 years, 5 months, 14 days completed of a sentence of 50 years for murder of a federal officer in the 2nd degree.
(also 33rd President of the United States, 1994-2001)

How are presidents elected ITTL? Because it seems like it'd have to be a rather capricious system.

Benjamin G. Thurman is the 60th and incumbent President of the United States. Be began his career in the in the 2060s as an labor lawyer with the United Autoworkers in Michigan, where he met a young and charismatic labor organizer named Douglas Grayson. Thurman became one of Grayson's closest confidants and advisors, serving as his legal counsel when Grayson was the Secretary of the National Planning Commission in the 2070s. After Grayson was elected President of the United States in 2080, Thurman suceeded him as President of the United Autoworkers and then followed Grayson to Washington. He became a top Washington insider and one of the most powerful men in D.C., serving in various roles with the Grayson and Oldfield presidencies and the the Democratic Party. He managed Grayson's presidential campaigns in 2080, 2084 and 2104. He served as the Secretary of the National Planning Commission in the early 22nd century, and remained a powerful and influential insider--he shaped the AFL-CIO's influence on the Democratic Party, marrying the two instutitons tightly, and it was this influence that lead him to win the Democratic nomination in 2132. Thurman spent the 2120s in the wilderness as a Democratic strategist, and intended to run for President in 2128 but a heart attack sidelined him, but he ran in 2132 and won the Democratic nomination easily and later the general election.

1a9E9ls.png

Last edited:
That is a very long government career. I guess that's what you can do when people live up past a century with active lives.

Also sad to see he did not bring that swell hat of his to the official portrait session.

Wow, both Grayson and Thurman are unionists. And the AFL-CIO apparently counts as a political party. Shows you how the Democratic Party has indeed became the party of labor and not the soft latte-liberal creature it became in OTL.

Wow, both Grayson and Thurman are unionists. And the AFL-CIO apparently counts as a political party. Shows you how the Democratic Party has indeed became the party of labor and not the soft latte-liberal creature it became in OTL.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh wait you're serious?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Straight from the horse's mouth:
[1/2/2015 3:44:46 PM] Archangel Michael: TRADE UNIONS
As of 2130, nearly 70% of the American labor force are members of trade unions. However, despite their size, unions are largely powerless (aside from the IWW which is as radical as always and the NCLC which likes to play hardball). The AFL-CIO, NCLC and AFSA work closely with management and government in the National Planning Commission during collective bargaining. The NCLC has a rather contentious relationship with the National Planning Commission, but they almost always fall in line. Labor unions today often act more like political parties, advocating certain political positions that a particular industry should take in its sequence.

What all this means: unions are just as deep in the technocratic corporatist America as business and banks. I'm pretty sure I recall Archie mentioning unions in AJND don't even have the right to strike.

This isn't a bed of roses, it's a layer of petals over a board filled with nails and fascism-lite. AJND is not a nice place.

(Also, AFL-CIO as a party is probably in regards to his presidency of the UAW.)

The Democrats are a party of unions. The state, unions and management all have a very vested interest in keeping the wheels of industry going. Agreements and contracts are all taken care of in a timely manner before things ever reach a strike phase. And Gryphon is right, the right to strike is practically non-existent. There's been numerous laws and court decisions backing this up, frequently declaring that intentional disruptions of the economy is tantamount to economic terrorism or even treason. In many places, unions act more as social clubs. It's Something That You Have to Do, especially since a lot of factories are closed shops and nearly three-quarters of all Americans (blue and white collar workers, both) are members of unions. Many states have right-to-work laws on the books, though closed shops are frequently given exceptions. There's a great deal of workplace democracy, but with how corrupt the unions are and how much they collude with capital, it might not amount to much with an elite cadre that's frequently impossible to tell apart from the regular 1% calling the shots.

EDIT: And I almost forgot to mention that the unions (since they're one of the large and most well-organized bunches there) are frequently and commonly active and willing participants in all sorts of genocide and oppression on the frontier.

Last edited:
Benjamin G. Thurman is the 60th and incumbent President of the United States. Be began his career in the in the 2060s as an labor lawyer with the United Autoworkers in Michigan, where he met a young and charismatic labor organizer named Douglas Grayson. Thurman became one of Grayson's closest confidants and advisors, serving as his legal counsel when Grayson was the Secretary of the National Planning Commission in the 2070s. After Grayson was elected President of the United States in 2080, Thurman suceeded him as President of the United Autoworkers and then followed Grayson to Washington. He became a top Washington insider and one of the most powerful men in D.C., serving in various roles with the Grayson and Oldfield presidencies and the the Democratic Party. He managed Grayson's presidential campaigns in 2080, 2084 and 2104. He served as the Secretary of the National Planning Commission in the early 22nd century, and remained a powerful and influential insider--he shaped the AFL-CIO's influence on the Democratic Party, marrying the two instutitons tightly, and it was this influence that lead him to win the Democratic nomination in 2132. Thurman spent the 2120s in the wilderness as a Democratic strategist, and intended to run for President in 2128 but a heart attack sidelined him, but he ran in 2132 and won the Democratic nomination easily and later the general election.
That's one hell of an infobox, Archangel Michael. And I mean that in two ways: excellent quality work as usual, but also it's sheer size :eek:

The Department of Colonization is one of the most important executive departments. It wields considerable power in terms of choosing which colonization prospects discovered by the Department of Exploration get selected for more in-depth survey of their viability as homes for humanity, and how long scientific and pioneer teams stay on planet before a pilot colony is approved. Then, it is one of the primary deciding bodies on whether an established pilot colony gets to expand and develop, and manages and partakes in that process. Even once a colony is firmly established, DeCol maintains a heavy presence in the form of a "colony manager" and attendant personnel. DeCol is one of the largest single employers in the Alliance government, and its secretary is regarded as one of the most powerful individuals in all of humanity. DeCol is a popular target for peaceful protests, and also for more violent acts such as terrorism.

Influential Indian politicians are almost always chosen as the Secretary of Colonization to keep the most powerful country in the Alliance happy; deputies and other positions tend to be filled by African politicians or politicians from the Americas, as these regions have the highest rate of immigration to the colonies.
___

In terms of production notes for this one, I'm somewhat unhappy with the way the seal turned out. During the conversion from .pdn to .png the letters blurred significantly, and in addition, I'm just not sure if I like the overall look of the logo in the center.

decol1.PNG

Thande

Donor
I occasionally have trouble keeping Archie's and George's Americas separate in my head, but both sets of infoboxes are always excellent.

Jake Dupree is the current frontrunner for the Republican nomination for the 2136 presidential nomination. An Air Force statistician and insurance actuary, Dupree never bothered much with politics until he found himself drafted into the Actuarial Sub-Sequence in Kansas. He eventually became its chair, and attempts at reforming insurance rates and regulation in Kansas were stymied by the then-Democratic governor, Corey Raines. Dupree ran against Raines in 2082 and was elected governor and re-elected in 2086. He was a popular governor, and was able to lower taxes and balance the budget; he garnered the attention of national Republicans and he was named George C. Lodge's Director of the Office of Management and Budget before becoming the Secretary of Defense and then White House Chief of Staff. Initially a fiscal hawk who helped reform and streamline the U.S. military in the late 21st century, Dupree became one of the leading national conservatives and war hawks, particularly after his election to the Senate in 2098--he back U.S. intervention in Sognia and Cydonia in the 2100s, finding himself allied with the Democratic Oldfield and Grayson administration over other Senate Republicans. As Chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee, he oversaw rapid expansion of the U.S. military, particularly a modernization of the U.S. Air Force's nuclear deterrent. He was the Republican vice presidential nominee in 2108, and ran for president 4 times (2104, 2108, 2116 and 2128), and was the longest-serving U.S. Senate Majority Leader in the post-WW3 era.

jFmfBMQ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.