The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime

Amazon Prime released a set of new pilots of proposed shows. One of the proposed shows is "The Man in the High Castle". Watching it now. Looks interesting so far.

Having seen some clips, the show seems pretty interesting so far although for something set in 1962 a lot of the conversation and general atmosphere seems far too modern.

Seems good so far. So they'll make an actual series if this one generates enough interest?

I hope the potential "Foundation" and "Red Mars" shows are both made and good.

Last edited:

Zachanassian

Gone Fishin'
Acting leaves a bit to be desired in some places, but the world building*, sets, costume, and graphic design are simply amazing. I especially like how they've used people's clothing and such to indicate that the occupied United States has become something of a backwater. In some areas it is quite obviously the 1960s but some people look like they haven't bought new clothes since about 1943.

*One nice little titbit I noticed was that St. Louis has been renamed New Berlin

Acting leaves a bit to be desired in some places, but the world building*, sets, costume, and graphic design are simply amazing. I especially like how they've used people's clothing and such to indicate that the occupied United States has become something of a backwater. In some areas it is quite obviously the 1960s but some people look like they haven't bought new clothes since about 1943.

*One nice little titbit I noticed was that St. Louis has been renamed New Berlin

I just finished watching it and I agree with this ^^ interview. It's a little rough around the edges, but most of the design and alternatehistory choices I was pretty pleased with. Alternate history done outside of this (and a few other websites) always looks just terrible to me. You know because I know better. :p

It's not gratuitous and they seem to be trying to build a "plausible" world (in as much as PKD's original world was plausible...which it wasn't meant to be.)

I liked the advanced jet a lot. And I liked how San Francisco looked. Even New York was about as gloomy as the book made it sound.

I just finished watching it and I agree with this ^^ interview. It's a little rough around the edges, but most of the design and alternatehistory choices I was pretty pleased with. Alternate history done outside of this (and a few other websites) always looks just terrible to me. You know because I know better. :p

It's not gratuitous and they seem to be trying to build a "plausible" world (in as much as PKD's original world was plausible...which it wasn't meant to be.)

I liked the advanced jet a lot. And I liked how San Francisco looked. Even New York was about as gloomy as the book made it sound.
I agree, mainstream alternate history (at least in movies and television) usually is garbage but I think this one takes the best route by leaving the POD vague.*

*I'm vaguely aware of the POD for the book, I believe it was FDR related, but I haven't read the book and probably won't so as not spoil anything.

Can't watch in Canada apparently :mad::confused: heard Good reviews thoguh. if anyone can PM me with somehwere I can watch it would be grand

That looks like some of most impressive visual mainstream AH ever made. :eek:

And I liked how San Francisco looked.

Is it wrong that I am more interested in visiting this San Francisco than the real S.F.?

Ist es falsch, dass Ich mehr interessiert bin dieses San Francisco zu besuchen als das echte S.F.?

nRo2k2a.png

c8ta5In.png

HOTUv7p.png

2sw6Loz.png

aS5Wkuu.png

I agree, mainstream alternate history (at least in movies and television) usually is garbage but I think this one takes the best route by leaving the POD vague.*

*I'm vaguely aware of the POD for the book, I believe it was FDR related, but I haven't read the book and probably won't so as not spoil anything.

Not that it matters for the purposes of your viewing of this pilot, but the POD is Roosevelt being killed in 1934, with flocks of butterflies in its wake.

They haven't even bothered to remove old WW2 propaganda posters-although perhaps this is unlikely-especially in the Nazi section.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/15/amazon-pilots-review/

Amazon pilot reviews: 'The Man in the High Castle' is king

By Jeff Jensen and Melissa Maerz on Jan 15, 2015 at 3:50PM
The-Man-in-the-High-Castle.jpg
Image Credit: David Berg/Amazon Studios

The Man in the High Castle
Creator: Frank Spotnitz (The X-Files)
Premise: An alt-history saga adapted from the Philip K. Dick novel of the same title imagines America in a world where the Axis powers won World War II—by beating everyone else to the bomb and nuking Washington D.C. The year is 1962, and the United States is split in two, à la Berlin. The Nazis control the East, the Japanese control the West, and the cold war between the former confederates threatens to explode, pending the outcome of political instability in Germany: Hitler, it seems, has Parkinson’s, and not long to live. Against this backdrop, we meet a variety of characters suffering or surviving each oppressive culture. Two of them in particular—Julianna (Mob City’s Alexa Davalos), investigating the murder of her sister, and Joe (Luke Kleintank of Pretty Little Liars and Bones), a newcomer to the resistance—are on a collision course, drawn to each other by the mystery of illicit newsreels depicting a different, better history, one where the Allies carried the day. The films are rebel art, producing an Anonymous-like subversive known only as “The Man in the High Castle.”
Prospects: Depends. If you’re tired of high-concept dystopian fantasy and Nazi bad guys, this is a pass. If you’re a fan of high-concept dystopian fantasy done right and are at least agnostic about Nazi bad guys, this is for you. Directed by veteran helmer David Semel, this well-cast, well-acted, swell-looking pilot is by far the most polished of the group. It’s engrossing despite its stately pace, and a triumph of world building. The Man in the High Castle could be Amazon’s first successful attempt at big saga TV. —Jeff Jensen

Have you seen a map ?

The American stripes on the swastika armband are a nice (disturbing) touch.

By the way - if you all want to see The Man in the High Castle get picked up for a full run by Amazon (and I think you all do), you need to take the Amazon pilot survey. Don't wait, do it now. This is your best chance to get some quality Alt-history put on (digital) film.