Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the blue-orange scheme is catching on. :p

I think 1964 is a bit off with Brown winning all the north but losing everything else, especially the south. What's civil rights looking like?

And Nofix, I'm assuming different apportionment? Wyoming rule or something else?

And Nofix, I'm assuming different apportionment? Wyoming rule or something else?

Different immigration patterns with no American involvement in Europe, no cap in 1920 (covered in the other thread), rule is bout 200,000 persons to a congressional district. Population nationwide is about 140 million, and you can tell how much the voting patterns have changed since 1890 by looking at the vote totals. New York alone has about 16.6 million people, and 83 congressmen.

I wish I could easily link my old post, but because someone locked it, I can't do that quickly. Audible sigh.

NothingNow

Banned
Here's a thing I did for AJND, which is posted with Archangel Michael's blessing:

Florida, more than anywhere else in the United States can be considered the greatest failure of modern American domestic policy. Florida possesses a fiercely independent political culture spurred on by a continuing sense of betrayal by the Federal Government, along with the widespread belief that depopulating the state is something of a deliberate policy by said government.

After the Deluge and the subsequent decision by the Federal Government in 2051 that the state was not salvageable, despite managing to loose only six hundred people to the deluge out of a population of over twenty four million, the State of Florida saw the vast majority of it’s people resettled elsewhere, either in the midwest or off world (particularly to the Commonwealth of Dacia on Europa, where many former Floridian place names are preserved.) Of the pre-deluge population, less than two million remained, primarily in Northern Florida and the cities of Tampa and Lakeland, all of whom were to some degree or another traumatized by the Deluge and the events following. Since the ‘Deluge Generation’ took power support for achieving Commonwealth-level autonomy has been effectively a standard position in state politics, and Florida has seen minor gains towards this end here and there over the last eight decades.

The decades following the Deluge have seen a general trend of re-catholicization, increased bilingualism, and to a degree the beginnings of separate Floridian ethnogenesis, all of which are in stark contrast to National trends, as the state government has concentrated on environmental restoration in the inundated parts of the state and establishing a place for Florida in the context of both the United States and the wider Solar System. Popular opinion in the state of Florida, far outside the norms of opinion in the US hold that while membership in the latter is an indisputable fact, membership in the former is negotiable and not entirely desirable.

Of special note however is the odd relationship the government of Florida has with the Florida National Guard, and various Autonomist and Secessionist organizations which constitute the radical fringe in Floridian politics. There are rumblings and complaints that the Florida National Guard, which is disproportionately sized (and which also handles duties the NVPA would usually perform) has been infiltrated by radical autonomists and secessionists, something which is to a degree tolerated by the State Government, although prosecution of members of Terrorist organizations like the Reformed Knights of Sant’yago is exceptionally rare, and extrajudicial or clandestine punishment is instead the norm, possibly to protect the Florida Autonomism movement from the damage even a kangaroo court could bring. The only reported purge of the Florida National Guard’s ranks was after the 2120 attack on the US District Court in Tallahassee, in retaliation for the “forced transportation” of Floridian residents off-world by the Population Bureau of the Frontier Department, which only occurred after the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Florida National Guard stonewalled any investigation by the Federal Government. Additionally, peaceful protests against the existence of the Population Bureau and Office of Employment (but carefully silent about the bombing) were widespread across Florida in the immediate aftermath of the bombing, and were widely attended by state officials.

The Ionian Mutiny, although ocuring on a distant moon was closely watched in Florida, and changed little in the populations’ minds in regards to the nature of the Federal Government. However after the war, Floridians have been very careful as to leave the federal government without any grounds to interfere in their internal affairs, something which has allowed pacifists and moderates the chance to gain control of the state government for the first time in a generation.

JHmAkwi.png

Last edited:
I adopted it to delinate the Republican Party of Heidler and his having to fight the isolationists, to the internationalist Republican Party, which is now dominated by internationalist figures.
It's just confusing! AM has Orange Democrats and Blue Republicans, while you have the exact opposite! :eek:

Arizona
Arizona, like most desert states, benefited greatly from the Arctic water brought south through NAWAPA. Farms and on-going mega-engineering projects dominate the north, while libertarian-minded tech nerds and venture capitalists dominate the Sun Belt in the south. Democrats do quite well amongst the Native Americans (they've undergone something of a revitaliation in recent years due to NAWAPA) and construction workers in the north, while the Republicans dominate state politics on the back of the tech workers and money. Governor Jack Lodge was reelected to a second two-year term in 2134. He is a rising star within the party--socially liberal, supportive of business, protective of welfare and a bit imperialistic.

New Mexico
New Mexico is very similar to Arizona, though its population is much smaller. Albuquerque and Santa Fe make up the eastern end of the Sun Belt tech corridor, while New Mexico's farms are large, drone-operated estates run by engineers and scientists living in the state's metropolitan areas. Governor Julia Orozco Medina is quite personally popular, and was Sarah Winstead's running mate in the 2132 presidential election; she is the leader of the Republican Party's Christian democratic and compassionate conservative faction, supporting the traditional nuclear family, education and workfare reform. Some of the more libertarian-minded tech nerds in the Sun Belt were opposed to Medina's tax plan, so Libertarian Beau McCauley did quite well.

Texas
West Texas is very similar to both New Mexico and Arizona, with broad, drone-operated farms in the former desert thanks to NAWAPA. South Texas is dominated by old Hispanic families and white-collar professionals--groups that tend to vote Republican--and there's a lot of cross-border traffic between Texas and Mexico, mostly of engineers and scientists for NAWAPA. Central Texas is dominated by the Texas Triangle--Houston, Dallas, San Antonio--which is usually dominated by Democratic machines and labor unions (though Houston itself tends to be a bit more Republican due to its more spread out, suburban nature). Texas is dominated by Democrats, with Democrats winning the past 5 gubernatorial elections. The Democratic primary is always a contentious affair, with different vacations vying for control--in 2134, Railroad Commissioner Rick Wefad (an ally of progressive Senator Ben Griffin) won out and managed to cruise to an easy victory in the general.

E5XFbCG.png

Thande

Donor
I do like the unique take you have on future party demographic bases being different (as indeed they were different in the past) but in a plausible way.

I do like the unique take you have on future party demographic bases being different (as indeed they were different in the past) but in a plausible way.

With Terran human groups (whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians and to a slightly lesser degree, Native Americans), a lot of it is because they have a lot of the same socio-economic and cultural standing/privilege as white Americans do today--white Hispanics have largely been folded into the general white classification and I largely keep them separate in my own files for my own convenience. As such, they tend to be a bit richer and more educated, trending Republican. Except Southern blacks and Outer System blue-collar union members.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Can I ask what the state of England (and Yorkshire :p) is in AJND?

I know the UK dissolved but just wondering what the state of the country (& Great Britain and Ireland) is.

Can I ask what the state of England (and Yorkshire :p) is in AJND?

I know the UK dissolved but just wondering what the state of the country (& Great Britain and Ireland) is.

Well, the United Kingdom no longer exists. After World War III, everything just kind of broke apart. Scotland and Wales both left, and Northern Ireland eventually did, and despite simmering and ongoing sectarian tensions, it integrated into Ireland on a federal level. Scotland has constant arguments with Australia who the true successor and inheritor of the old British Empire is. Scotland Wales do quite well for themselves, with Scotland leaning towards Scandinavia more and more. England itself is doing much better. It went through a a few very bad years after World War III and then the Deluge, but it's managed to recover and while it's become a stable parliamentary republic and liberal democracy, it still has a weak economy and ongoing corruption issues. But while England isn't great, it's certainly a hell of a lot better than the Continent.

Teshuvah

Banned
I guess the Republican and Democratic parties are eternal an AJND, eh? :p

Curious, was marijuana legalized? And afterwards, were other recreational drugs ever proposed for legalization?

Status
Not open for further replies.