Operation Sealion

Did you guys know that the Nazis actually planned to invade Britain back in 1940?

The plan was called "Operation Sealion".

I think it has never been discussed here, so why don't we talk about its pro's and con's? This could be fun:)

Did you guys know that the Nazis actually planned to invade Britain back in 1940?

I think it has never been discussed here, so why don't we talk about its pro's and con's? This could be fun:)
You have got to be joking, please tell me you are.

Why should I be joking? This is english humor, right?
Sealion has been discussed endlessly on AH.com, so much so that it has become an AH.com meme and mascot.

The board is in general agreement that Sealion is pretty much implausible without changing rather large parts of the operational plan that it is not Sealion any more.

attachment.php
:rolleyes:

Maybe we need an official "WI Operation Sealion succeeded?" thread, stickied as well, so nobody could ever ask that question again. Therefore, nobody would ever have to contemplate the idea of Rhine barges crossing La Manche. Such a thread would probably go up with the official "WI the South won the ACW", "WI Germany won WWI", or "WI the US didn't nuke Hiroshima" threads, and all those commonly asked questions.

you know, it'd be cool if someone were to do an AH movie about a Sealion attempt, laden with CGI.... the barges swamping and being shelled by the RN while the RAF and Luftwaffe battled overhead... the handful of submersible tanks the Germans had springing leaks and drowning at the bottom of the channel... and the final surviving handful of invaders coming ashore at Dover, only to be dispatched by the Home Guard, who sit in deck chairs and pause between sips of tea to club the Germans as they stagger up out of the surf....