Map Contest III: Rules and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per {url=https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=83569]this thread[/url] it is another year and time for another Map Contest.

So without further adieu I present the Rules and Discussion Thread Map Contest III. As in previous years use this thread for any discussions or questions concerning any of the map challenges, the rules, or just praise/ridicule of each individual map. Again if I (or one of the other judges) so much as catch a single post in one of the challenge threads that does not contain a map that has to do with said challenge that poster forfeits that round (repeat offenders will be banned from the contest).

As for the rest of the rules:

The Map Contest will be held in a series of seven stages.

There will be six qualifying stages and a seventh and final stage. Each of the first six stages will be set on a certain theme, we will reveal these themes when each challenges time comes; the seventh and final contest might be a repeat of one of those themes, a combination of two, etc., and/or its theme may be more specific than those of the first six challenges.

In each of these six stages, the three judges will choose one winner who will then go on to progress to the seventh and final stage; the final stage then should see the six winners of the previous seventh stages competing against each other to find the grand winner of the Map Contest.

The rules are as follows:

1) While there was a registration thread (linked above) walk-ins are welcome so don't feel bad if you've missed one or two round and want to enter. Conversely you are not required to participate in all rounds if you so choose (or RL chooses for you :)).

2) We are setting a minimum map size of 500x500 pixels, with no upper limit.

3) Each map you create must be completely new. No reuse of previous maps you have made, or anyone else has made is allowed. Anyone caught breaking this rule will be disqualified from the Map Contest completely. Cheaters will be punished as the scum they are.

4) The decision of the three-judge panel is final. In the event that one person wins multiple challenges or if there is a tie-break, Shadow Knight (as in me) as Chief Judge will cast the final decision and choose who progresses to the final stage.

5) Each normal round will be at least a week long (the judges may decide to increase that limit if a particular map is of a more difficult nature) and the length given for the final map will be determined when that time comes.

May the best map maker win.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we get the contest round threads up I or another judge will link it to this thread for your ease.

Might I suggest an addendum to Rule 4?
Each contestant can earn only one Qualifying Win* in the first six rounds, though they may be granted as many (one per round) Aesthetic Wins** as deemed by the Conclave.
*Grants access to the seventh and final round. This ensures the maximum number of participants in the final round by disallowing multiple wins by one individual.

**Grants bragging rights and acknowledges the work of a previous Q-Winner in subsequent rounds.

Might I suggest an addendum to Rule 4?
Each contestant can earn only one Qualifying Win* in the first six rounds, though they may be granted as many (one per round) Aesthetic Wins** as deemed by the Conclave.​
*Grants access to the seventh and final round. This ensures the maximum number of participants in the final round by disallowing multiple wins by one individual.

**Grants bragging rights and acknowledges the work of a previous Q-Winner in subsequent rounds.

Sounds interesting...

SK - Your oppinion?

If I understand what Dutchie is saying then no. As that is what the runner-up position is for. If someone wins multiple rounds then for each subsequent round past their first the runner-up for that round is chosen to go on to the final round. Granted there is a chance that there won't be six contestants making it to the final round but in past contests it has worked out well enough.

Furthermore if a freak occurrence gives us say only a couple of people in the final round a poll where the peanut gallery can vote on adding a few contestants to the final round may be considered.

SK

When Anal Engine actually answers a PM.

You noticed that too? If you type just "anal" into the "to" bar it automatically pops up analytical engine. I don't know about you but I thought it was terribly funny. :D

Seriously though If AE answers his PM it should go up tomorrow.

VT45

Banned
Knowing me and vowels, among others, there are bound tea be some pretty good ones.:D

When Anal Engine actually answers a PM.

You noticed that too? If you type just "anal" into the "to" bar it automatically pops up analytical engine. I don't know about you but I thought it was terribly funny. :D

Seriously though If AE answers his PM it should go up tomorrow.

Thande, I do not have home internet access...

That makes it dificult for me to answer a PM... :p

Anyway, I've answered it now... :)

Susano

Banned
I could reuse last Contests WW2 map for this.... just colouring Sweden as Axis, and it meets the other two requirements - mind it is, Fall of France to the Allies, but... :D

Nah, just kidding. Hm... intersting...

At least Franco is on the Allied side, for a change... :D

That'd be nice but it could be a Republican Spain that joins the Allies. Just depends on what the PoD is.

I could reuse last Contests WW2 map for this.... just colouring Sweden as Axis, and it meets the other two requirements - mind it is, Fall of France to the Allies, but... :D

Nah, just kidding. Hm... intersting...

No reusing of maps please.

;)

Susano

Banned
That sounds about right.

But to just clarify. WWII has to happen, France has to fall, and those conditions listed in the challenge must take affect.

Hm, by that requirements it doesnt need to be WWII as per IOTL. By that description it doesnt need to involve the Nazis. It probably does need to involve Germany, but only because to whom else should France fall? Otherwise, by those conditions, it doesnt even need to include Germany...

That'd be nice but it could be a Republican Spain that joins the Allies. Just depends on what the PoD is.

:p

Well... that might go down better with "Uncle Joe"... :D

Hm, by that requirements it doesnt need to be WWII as per IOTL. By that description it doesnt need to involve the Nazis. It probably does need to involve Germany, but only because to whom else should France fall? Otherwise, by those conditions, it doesnt even need to include Germany...

Hmm... I think SK ment a WWII that we'd still recognise (with Nazis etc...).

Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.