Superpower Empire: China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendryk

Banned
China had it rough in our timeline. Everything that could have gone wrong with it, did. Then it started catching up, but there is still a long way for it to go. In this alternate timeline, things go neither improbably well nor--as was the case in our timeline--incredibly bad. And, in true "butterfly effect" fashion, the one element to change for history to follow a different course is tiny: a man will simply have to die 4 years sooner.
I place the defining moment at the overthrow of the Qing dynasty in 1911. In both our timeline and this one, the "revolution" happened almost by accident and took everyone by surprise, including Sun Yat-sen. Once in charge of the country, he realized that his lack of leverage with the former elite in general and the army brass in particular made him an unsuitable ruler, so he looked for someone with more influence and chose Yuan Shikai. Unfortunately Yuan Shikai was both power-hungry, incompetent and corrupt, and within a few months had let the country tumble into a period of anarchy that would only end in 1949 (or, as far as I'm concerned, 1978).
Well, in my alternate timeline, Sun instead picks someone who also has decent leverage and legitimacy: Kang Youwei, who had spearheaded the "100 days" reform movement of 1898 only to be undercut by Dowager Empress Cixi and forced into exile. Either this is a deliberate choice, or one simply has to shorten Yuan's life expectancy by a mere 4 years, as he died in 1916 anyway, and Kang gets chosen by default. It works either way. Kang is a classically trained scholar-official but he was progressive enough to understand that China had lost its technological and geopolitical edge to the Western world; he had read the works of Western thinkers and social scientists, and, during his years in exile, had elaborated on his reform program of 1898. His conclusions were fairly close to those of the architects of Meiji: basically, modernization simultaneously supported and limited by a native ideological framework, in China's case an updated Confucianism.
So, in 1912 Kang has power handed to him by Sun. Where does it go from here? Considering that China's history in the first three-quarters of the 20th century is one of successive worst-case scenarii, its alternate fate can only be better.
This is how I see it. Kang, once in power, declares himself first emperor of, say, the Zhong dynasty (or some other suitably uplifting name). Indeed, it makes perfect sense for a scholar like him to use the time-honored way of symbolically ushering a new political era (progressive as he is, he nonetheless distrusts the foreign concept of "republic"; and, let's face it, at the time only the USA, France and Switzerland were republics anyway). He rallies both the disgruntled element of the old regime and Sun's followers and begins the lengthy process of structural reform. Within 2 years, WW1 breaks out in Europe. This is a golden opportunity for him to increase his legitimacy among the Chinese society at large by undoing one of the many humiliations forced upon China by western powers: with Germany at war against France, Britain and Russia, little force remains available for the Second Reich to defend its holding on the Shandong peninsula, and no reinforcements can be expected. So China reclaims the territory (that includes the city of Qingdao) with comparatively little trouble, and uses the opportunity to conveniently ally itself, verbally at least, with France and Britain--much like Japan does. This victory, however small, is the confidence-booster the country had been longing for at least since 1840, and is milked for all its worth by the regime's propaganda. China may also take advantage of the situation to have French and British advisers help it modernize its army, and import modern military equipment.
Then it's 1917 and the Bolsheviks take over in Russia. The eastern part of the country is in chaos, and Kang seizes the chance to re-conquer those territories in Eastern Siberia and Central Asia that Russia had confiscated from China in the mid-19th century, thereby restoring the sino-russian border as it had been defined by the Treaty of Nerchinsk in 1689. And just as, in Europe, the Baltic states were created as a buffer zone between the new USSR and its neighbors, China turns the whole eastern half of Siberia between the Ienisei river and the Bering Strait into a new country, Yakutia, which it treats essentially as a vassal state.
Modernization goes on during the 1920s; then the war with Japan takes place, but turns out in a rather similar way as in our timeline, with the efficient and well-equipped Japanese army occupying much of Eastern China. But the Chinese government, relocated in Chongqing, reacts to the occupation with a complete mobilization of social and economic forces, much like the USSR between 1941 and 1945, and thus reinforces its legitimacy further by the time the war ends. I think Japan would still attack Pearl Harbor, for identical reasons as in our timeline: because they were bogged down on the Chinese front and wanted to scare the USA away from involvement; because they wanted to put an end to the USA-enforced oil embargo; and because, let's face it, the Japanese chiefs of staff had a severe case of hubris.
The really interesting things, however, happen after 1945. The war in the Pacific probably ends a few months sooner, given the extra drain on Japanese energies caused by organized resistance in China. But then, there is no civil war between Nationalists and Communists (in fact, there is hardly a Communist presence in China at all), and no takeover by Mao Zedong. The Soviet influence in Asia stops on the banks of the Ienisei. Therefore, no partition of Korea, so no Korean war; no Communist guerilla in Vietnam, so none of the wars in Indochina; no Great Leap Forward and its 30 million victims; no Cultural Revolution; oh, and no Tiananmen massacre either, though that is almost incidental. Not that this alternate China would be a democracy; by 2004, the regime would probably have evolved into Singapore-style paternalist technocracy. But what's important is that a China that would be spared the madness of the Mao era would instead have been able to focus its strength on development at home and influence-building abroad. By now, much of East Asia would be under a latter-day version of the Ming- and Qing-era system of tutelage. Japan would still be part of the American sphere of influence, but those lands from Yakutia to Vietnam would once again take their political--and probably cultural--cues from a neo-imperial China.
A more detailed version is available in French, if anyone's interested. What do you think?

Hendryk

Banned
Thanks for your appreciation. I might translate the original by popular request, it's not that long (about 10 pages, single-spaced). What would really interest me is to take this ATL further by finding out what other changes it would have wrought on the world at large by 2004. Considering the rising influence of OTL's China, this alternate one would probably make its presence felt in countless ways, some quite indirect. In particular, the size, local leverage and cultural assertiveness of overseas Chinese communities, foremost in South-east Asia but also in Western countries, would be noticeably greater. I've begun looking into this specific point, I'll write a post on it if anyone asks.

unsolved problems

Intresting it is. But what has happend to the tensions inside the chinese society that led to the communist revolution AND the great leap forward? Those events were not born out of a lucky cakes advice, i think.
The then existing problems, about which i know little, must be solved someway.

Hendryk

Banned
Alayta
To answer your question:
China indeed did have its share of social tensions during the 20th century (still does in fact, I'll detail them if you'd like to know about it). But it is not those tensions that caused either the Communist revolution or the Great Leap Forward.
The Revolution first: actually, it was not a revolution at all. The Communists call it that way because, when you base your legitimacy on whatever interpretation of Marxism, you can only get to power through a revolutionary process. But in fact it was more of a civil war between two oligarchies, not that different from the inter-dynastic wars of centuries past, and the Communists won because the Nationalist leadership was by then terminally corrupt and incompetent. (The irony is that that same leadership, once exiled in Taiwan, turned the place into the prosperous, vibrant democracy that it is today, while the Communists made China suffer as it had seldom suffered before through dogmatic, misguided and hubristic social engineering; if China has managed to get back on track, and then some, since 1978, it's because the Communist leadership has quietly given up on Communism, and has for all intents and purposes become a "classic" dictatorship).
Now for the Great Leap Forward. That one was the brainchild of Mao Zedong, who, in the context of deteriorating relations with the Soviets and a power struggle within the ruling circles of the Party, wanted China to outperform the USSR economically while applying to the letter Marxist ideology (which the "revisionist" Krushchev was seen as straying from). The idea was to collectivize agriculture while creating micro-industries from scratch in the rural areas. So it had nothing to do with Chinese society itself, except insofar as it paid the price in terms of deaths: with the crop-raising process completely disturbed, the ensuing famine killed some 30 million people.

Hendryk

Banned
The Empire strikes back

Since I`ve just referred to it in the Worst Dictator thread, I`m taking this old ATL of mine down from the attic, dusting it off and presenting it anew to an enthusiastic audience (applause sign on ;) ). I`d been wanting to add stuff to it for a while anyway, but first I`d like to see how you like it in its current shape.

Interesting, but Japan is doing way to good. This China would never let go of Manchuria in the first place, and they wouldn't be weak enough to allow the sort of full scale invasion that happened historically. Nor would Japan have the neccesary colonies from which to launch the invasion.

Nice, but a few nitpicks...

Hendryk said:
So, in 1912 Kang has power handed to him by Sun. Where does it go from here? Considering that China's history in the first three-quarters of the 20th century is one of successive worst-case scenarii, its alternate fate can only be better.

I am somewhat dubious about "worst case": look at the 20th century experiences of most states other than North America/W. Europe/Australasia. China could have been partitioned and colonized and suffered through multiple "wars of liberation". The warlord era could have lasted decades longer. Japan might have stayed out of WWII and taken 10-20 years to finally give up, throw in the towel and stop murdering and testing biowarfare weapons on the Chinese. A more orthodox Stalinist could have succeeded Mao (think N. Korea in the large economy size). China could have gotten into a nuclear war with the USSR, or got caught up in a US-USSR one.

I will admit that our TLs China is probably on the negative side of the probability bell curve, but things could have been worse or equally bad in a different way.

Hendryk said:
This is how I see it. Kang, once in power, declares himself first emperor of, say, the Zhong dynasty (or some other suitably uplifting name).

Ok, but this makes it harder for him to get Sun's followers behind him: a democratic republic was one of the three major elements on Sun's "three-in-one" revolution (along with expelling the Manchu dynasty and redistributing land and wealth). Nor were the provincial governors and military leaders which began to revolt by 1916 at all happy with his pretentions to absolute power.

Sun did expect a period of initial military rule and then "political tutelage" lating for a decade or so before a true democracy could be established - one could have Kang assuming the presidency, and, in Soviet style, the era of "political tutelage" stetching on indefinitely...but he's going to have to be a lot more politically skillful than Yuan to keep Kuomintang hackles from being raised...

Hendryk said:
Indeed, it makes perfect sense for a scholar like him to use the time-honored way of symbolically ushering a new political era (progressive as he is, he nonetheless distrusts the foreign concept of "republic"; and, let's face it, at the time only the USA, France and Switzerland were republics anyway).

Latin America?

Hendryk said:
Then it's 1917 and the Bolsheviks take over in Russia. The eastern part of the country is in chaos, and Kang seizes the chance to re-conquer those territories in Eastern Siberia and Central Asia that Russia had confiscated from China in the mid-19th century, thereby restoring the sino-russian border as it had been defined by the Treaty of Nerchinsk in 1689. And just as, in Europe, the Baltic states were created as a buffer zone between the new USSR and its neighbors, China turns the whole eastern half of Siberia between the Ienisei river and the Bering Strait into a new country, Yakutia, which it treats essentially as a vassal state.

White Russians, I imagine? The Lena-Baikal line might make a better border: the mountainous areas to the soth and west of the lake make communication between the former Soviet far east and the rest of Siberia difficult, especially if Soviet forces tear of the trans-Baikal rail line in the area.

Hendryk said:
Modernization goes on during the 1920s; then the war with Japan takes place, but turns out in a rather similar way as in our timeline, with the efficient and well-equipped Japanese army occupying much of Eastern China.

Now here I agree with what other people say: in our TL the Japanese attacked China because a weak China looked like it was getting stronger. In this TL, there never was a period of serious weakness: if Japan is to attack with any chance of success, it would have to do so much earlier than in our TL. In the forces commanded by Yuan in our TL, China had the core of a modern army it could have built on: this was wasted in the warlord period, when military forces became privatized. By 1937, Chiang had once again built up a real army: unfortunately, it was still fairly raw and small, and was largely used up in poorly planned military confrontations with the Japanese in the first couple years of the war. China in this TL will have an army as least as good by the early 20's: equipped, admittedly, with 1920's equipment, but, so will the Japanese.

Also, in the 20's Japan was far more democratically ruled than it would be in the 30's, and rather less likely to embark on wacky military adventures.By the 1930's China will be strong enough for any Japanese invasion to be contained in Manchuria. I could imagine a scenario where a provincial revolt against a ruthlessly centralizing and modernizing government (perhaps by traditionalists whose applecarts are being uspset) leads to Japanese involvement, but this would be more of a case of japanese helping Chinese to fight other Chinese.

I can imagine the radical elements in the Japanese army conspiring to provoke a war with China, creating some sort of "incident" in Manchuria, but it's hard to see what the Japanese might gain from this - by 1931, even taking over Manchuria is going to be very hard, and only sets things up for a nasty war of vengeance by the 1940's or 1950's. Perhaps they can 'liberate" the Siberian far east?

(Japanese military power is sometimes overestimated. The Japanese economy in the 1940's was no bigger than Italy's: they just made much better use of what they had.)

If China remains stable under it's new government, I'd give good odds of the Japanese staying out altogether. Perhaps a Japanese-Soviet alliance? They both have reasons to dislike China in this TL...

Hendryk said:
I think Japan would still attack Pearl Harbor, for identical reasons as in our timeline:

Probably butterflied away. (Are the Japanese bold enough to make a grab for Indonesia after the Nazi invasion of Holland? Without the tensions with US caused by the China war, they might get away with it). US still gets into the war in Europe, though: Hitler and Roosevelt will both work overtime for this to happen.

Hendryk said:
The Soviet influence in Asia stops on the banks of the Ienisei.

Unless Stalin decides to make a grab for it in 1945, when the war in Europe is still winding down and he's still good buddies with the US. Probably not, though: too cautious to make an enemy as potentially strong as China.

Hendryk said:
Therefore, no partition of Korea, so no Korean war; no Communist guerilla in Vietnam, so none of the wars in Indochina;

No Japanese occupation, so French stay. End up in a bloody Algeria-type situation by the 50's, with rebels quite possibly supported by a China eager to reassert it's traditional dominance in the area. As a result of the radicalizing effects of the struggle ends up a leftish nationalist dictatorship like Nasser's Egypt. Or perhaps the French decide to bow out gracefully (hey, stranger things have happened) and a shaky democracy is established?

Hendryk said:
Not that this alternate China would be a democracy; by 2004, the regime would probably have evolved into Singapore-style paternalist technocracy.

Not improbable, but I don't necessarily see this as the most likely outcome. Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Korea...why should the Chinese be immune to the blandishments of democracy?

Hendryk said:
But what's important is that a China that would be spared the madness of the Mao era would instead have been able to focus its strength on development at home and influence-building abroad. By now, much of East Asia would be under a latter-day version of the Ming- and Qing-era system of tutelage.

Don't quite follow.

Hendryk said:
Japan would still be part of the American sphere of influence,

Not if it hadn't got involved in WWII.

Hendryk said:
but those lands from Yakutia to Vietnam would once again take their political--and probably cultural--cues from a neo-imperial China.

With the Vietnamese, as usual, being difficult about it...

Hendryk

Banned
B_Munro: you make good points, and I need to do a little brainstorming about some of them, especially when it comes to Japan. I assumed when writing version 1.0 of this ATL that the quasi-autonomous Japanese military would try their luck at seizing some Mandchurian territory by marching from occupied Korea, and that the resulting clashes would create a self-reinforcing spiral of warmongering, but it`s true I left out many details. Same for Vietnam: actually, in my ATL, the Japanese do get to invade it, thus wrenching it from the French; except that in 1945 China uses its political clout to broker a roadmap to Vietnamese independence. It`s in the original, which I had written in French, but I skipped too many elements when I rewrote it for this forum; so what I`ll do is translate it in extenso, so you get a better idea of the underlying logic. And I`ll take advantage of it to make a few corrections based on your input.

The guy who led the "100 Days" reforms was overthrown by the Dowager Empress and died in the palace a few days before she did. Perhaps he outlives her and Sun Yat-Sen finds some political use for him? Maybe he decides to keep him around for the "tutelage" period as some sort of figurehead for the military.

Hendryk

Banned
I don`t know whether reproducing a text written on another AH site is accepted or not, but what this John J. Reilly has written is so relevant to this thread I can`t help but quote the bulk of his article. I insist on the fact he gets full credit for the following.
Oh, and thanks Alasdair for finding this out for me.

A New Dynasty in 1916?

by John J. Reilly

Like many what-ifs, this one was suggested by something that almost happened. The provisional president of China in 1916, a general named Yuan Shikai (1859--1916), actually did declare himself emperor, though he had to back down after a few months. As is also the case with many what-ifs, there are some pretty good reasons for why the attempt to found a new dynasty failed. (...)

Yuan Shikai was the chief architect of the New Army that was created in the terminal phase of the Qing Dynasty. Although considered to be a friend of the reformers who sought to establish a constitutional monarchy, he supported the Dowager Empress in her last, unhappily successful effort to stifle reform in the final years of the dynasty. He was involuntarily retired at the time of her death in 1908. At the time of the Revolution of 1911, however, he was recalled to Peking to save the dynasty. To the surprise of the last Qing officials, however, he supported the insurgents.

The end of the imperial system in 1911 seemed at first to have been accomplished without any major national calamity. At any rate, there were no peasant uprisings or civil war. The revolution was sparked by the revolt of a major army garrison; others soon followed suit. The provinces, led by local assemblies, essentially seceded from the central government. The leader of China's modernizing forces, Dr. Sun Yatsen, was briefly made provisional president by a national parliament. However, when the last emperor finally abdicated in 1912 under pressure by Yuan Shikai, Sun deferred to Yuan. Yuan, after all, did have greater governmental experience. He also had the army, at least in North China.

On becoming provisional president, Yuan quickly suppressed the national parliament and the assemblies. The government of the country at the local level was returned to the magistrates. During 1915, he took steps toward establishing a new dynasty. His bid for the throne was mildly favored by the British, but strongly opposed by the Japanese. The attempt to secure Japanese acquiescence was at least one factor in his agreement to most of Japan's very harsh "21 Demands," which severely impinged on Chinese sovereignty. In any case, there were other reasons for staying on the good side of the Japanese at that time. The British were wholly preoccupied by the First World War, so their Japanese allies at least temporarily had a free hand in East Asia. (Besides their Chinese initiatives, the Japanese used the opportunity to pick up Germany's colonial possessions in the region.)

Despite the unfavorable diplomatic situation, Yuan declared himself emperor at the beginning of 1916. It did not work. He could not get foreign support, military or financial, though investors had hitherto regarded him as a good credit risk. He was opposed by his own generals for a variety of reasons, and he had forfeited the support of the nation's reformers. He abandoned the monarchical experiment in March. He died in June, reportedly of natural causes.

Yuan was probably not the man to found a new dynasty in any case. His career had been made in the crepuscular world of the late Qing. One of the benefits of dynastic change is that it allows for a fresh start in policies and personnel; Yuan offered neither. Let us assume, however, that a more attractive personality had attempted a similar enterprise. Is there any plausible set of historical circumstances under which the New Dynasty could have been established in 1916?

Yuan's most pressing handicap was probably that the advent of the First World War left him to face the Japanese alone. While there is a good argument to be made that a war like the First World War was almost inevitable, there is no particular reason why the war had to start at the time and in the way it did. Worse marksmanship in Sarajevo in 1914 could easily have delayed the start of the World War by a year or more. Even had it started in 1914, a cease-fire might have been declared when the armies deadlocked in the West. For that matter, the war would have been over by 1915 had the Schlieffen Plan worked. A quick defeat for Britain, before it had invested heavily in men and emotions, would not have done the British Empire any immediate harm. Rather the opposite, in fact. One suspects that, like the Russians after their string of defeats in the Balkans and the Far East in the early years of the century, the British would have determined not to lose further ground anywhere in the world. This would have predisposed the British to oppose Japanese policy in China simply for the sake of opposing.

In any case, this was the direction in which British policy had long been evolving. By 1914, British were already dubious about their alliance with Japan and they scrapped it as soon as they decently could after the War. A unified China that needed the protection of the Royal Navy against Japan would not have endangered British interests at Hong Kong and Shanghai, but it would have been a formidable barrier to further Japanese expansion.

Rectifying the international situation, however, solves only the proximate problem. The deeper difficulty that a new dynasty would have faced would have been a crisis of legitimacy. Chinese dynasties made perfect sense in terms of Confucian ideology; they had been the only imaginable form of national government for upwards of two millennia. The Qing had indeed been overthrown in part because they were Manchurian foreigners. However, the movement against them had been informed, not simply by Han nationalism, but by a critique of the Confucian heritage itself.

Throughout Chinese history, successful brigands and ambitious generals had become acceptable as the founders of dynasties by signaling their intention to follow traditional precedents of government and morality. There was almost an established drill to go through, down to the wording of key proclamations. After a period of interdynastic chaos, even a personally horrible candidate who honored the forms could nevertheless get the support of the local gentry and magistrates. They did not have to like a would-be dynastic founder; they simply needed to be assured that government would again become predictable and comprehensible.

It was precisely this cultural consensus that reformers in China had spent the prior 50 years destroying. Though no democrat, Yuan Shikai still falls into this class. His modernized national army, and his use of it as the primary instrument of government, was as un-Confucian as the democratic assemblies favored by Sun Yatsen. There were plenty of tradition-minded people in China still in 1916, even among the literate elites. However, they were not for the most part the people who managed new enterprises or who understood modern administrative techniques. Yuan could not have created a dynasty on the traditional model without bringing the country back to 1800.

On the other hand, even if a traditional monarchy was not possible, it does not follow that no monarchy would have been possible. The 20th century has not lacked for monarchies that justified themselves by simultaneous appeals to tradition and the project of modernization. There was a gaggle of them in the Balkans between the First and Second World Wars, kings of shaky new states who make themselves dictators when parliamentary government stopped working. In practice, these regimes were not much different from the party dictatorships elsewhere in Europe.

The most successful example was not in Europe, but in the Middle East. There, the new Pahlavi Dynasty of Persia (which it taught the world to call "Iran") attempted a program of national modernization comparable to, but milder than, the reconstruction of Turkey undertaken by Kemal Ataturk and his successors. To be a Pahlavi Shah was not quite the same thing as being a Shah in prior Persian history had been. The Pahlavi Shahs had new bases of social support and a novel relationship with the outside world. Still, some of the ancient terminology of government lent a bit of credibility to the letterheads of the new regime. We should remember that it actually lasted quite a long time for a government of ruthless modernizers, until the late 1970s. It is conceivable that a competent candidate could have established an analogous government in China, and so might have become "emperor" in a similarly qualified sense.

So how would a new dynasty have affected Chinese history for the first half of the 20th century? Such speculation may require less imagination than might at first appear. The reality of the New Dynasty would be that, while in some respects traditional in form, the government would actually have been a moderately conservative military dictatorship. We don't have to speculate about what such a regime would have looked like: the Nationalist government provides the model. There would have been two major differences, however.

First, the New Dynasty would have had a far greater measure of legitimacy than the Nationalists ever achieved, even during the brief period before the Japanese invasion when they governed almost the whole country. Legitimacy and hypocrisy are often inversely related. The Nationalist government pretended to be running a republic; it delivered less than it promised. The New Dynasty, on the other hand, would have been pretending to be a Confucian monarchy. All it would have needed to do is govern the country better than did the Qing in the 19th century. This would not have been a tall order.

The biggest advantage, however, would be that a dynasty established around 1916 might have succeeded in preventing the warlord era entirely. This does not require a great leap of faith. After all, before 1916, even Yuan Shikai had shown some ability to put uppity provincial commanders in their place.

There are a few things that we might reasonably assume about our hypothetical New Dynasty. As we have seen, it would probably have had British support. Partly for that reason, it would have had more credibility with international investors than did the Republic. If it also had just enough features of a parliamentary democracy to garner some support among the business class and intellectuals, then it seems likely that a formal monarchy would have been better able to control potential warlords than was the Republic. Deleting the warlord era would not only have spared the country the damage and disorder of that period, it would also have probably spared China Communism.

Chinese Communism as an insurgent movement was able to gain a foothold only because of the breakdown of national authority in the 1920s. It was because the central government was in eclipse that the Communists were able to establish bases in south-central China, and then to escape to Yennan when those bases were attacked. There would still, of course, have been a Communist Party in some form, but the New Dynasty government would not have needed to make common cause with it, as the Nationalists did early in this period. (For a while, foreign observers tended to think of the Nationalist Party as a Communist front.)

If China had not fallen into disunity, one suspects that the Communist Party would have been more urban and less rural than in fact it was. After all, in this scenario the countryside would have been better policed. In all likelihood, its history would have paralleled that of the Japanese Communist Party; frequently suppressed, never destroyed, important primarily as an aggravating factor during episodes of civil unrest.

Would the New Dynasty have performed much better against the Japanese in the `30s and `40s than the Nationalists did? One of the axioms of world history is that military dictatorships have incompetent militaries. They use their armies as police, and cops are not soldiers. Still, it is hard to imagine that the New Dynasty army could have done worse than the Nationalists did. In any case, assuming that a revived Chinese Empire would have been a long-term client of Britain, the Japanese would have had to think twice before making provocative actions south of Manchuria.

The effect of a more coherent China, on the other hand, might have been to sharpen Japan's strategy toward it. The Japanese war against China was a meandering series of campaigns, often without discernible strategic purpose. A Chinese government that actually governed the country would have made a far more valuable target. Japan might have confined their Chinese operations to a single blitzkrieg campaign to compel China to neutrality for the great offensive of 1941, and it might have worked.

And as for the second half of the century? We will assume that the Japanese still lost the war. Despite the havoc the war caused on the Asian mainland, it was always a naval war, and there is no way Japan could have won it without forcing the United States to a negotiated peace in the first few months. Would China then have proceeded more or less directly to full modernization, on the model of Japan? Conceivably, but my own suspicion is that the second fifty years would have been surprisingly like the history of the People's Republic.

The New Dynasty would no doubt have been greatly energized by being among the victors in the war. This would be particularly the case if, as this scenario suggests, the country had been less damaged by the conflict. Doubtless there would have been a decade or so of very rapid growth, and the beginning of real prosperity in some regions. The problem is that a regime of this type does not, in the long run, benefit from improving conditions. As the history of the Pahlavi regime in Iran illustrates, the effect of modernization in an authoritarian context can often be to manufacture an opposition that would not otherwise have existed. At the beginning of such regimes, people are often grateful for the establishment of basic civil order. Later, when economic conditions improve, they are content to look after their private lives. Finally, there will be a self-assured middle class that asks the regime, "What have you done for us lately?" By that point, the chief benefit that the regime could bestow would be to abolish itself. Such situations lead to trouble.

The chronology could have been similar to that which happened in the real world: great disorder in the 1960s, the restoration of social peace in the 1970s, followed by relaxation in the 1980s. The jettisoning of the New Dynasty would probably have been the price of the restoration of order. As happened after the overthrow of the last Shah of Iran, the successor regime would probably have been more "conservative" in some ways. The conservatism, however, would have been of the "social conservative" type. Confucian tradition would have been quite as capable as Shia Islam of generating a critique of modernity. This sort of consideration never troubled the People's Republic much, but then the Communist regime is explicitly dedicated to uprooting Confucianism. The New Dynasty, in contrast, would have been based in part on a show of respect for tradition. In other words, the regime would have had to preserve the standards by which it would eventually be judged and found wanting.

There would, no doubt, have been vast differences from the China of today had an imperial regime of some sort been reestablished after the Qing. Still, the upshot could have been that, after about 1975, China would again have been a republic of sorts. Like India, it would have been a vast country with greatly varying levels of development. Because of a lack of local tradition, it would probably not have been a very democratic republic. Still, it would no doubt have been friendly to private economic initiative, carried out in the context of overall government planning.

Let`s see in what ways this ATL differs from mine:
a) Yuan Shikai does live until 1916. My POD has him die in 1912, so the seat is free for Kang Youwei to occupy.
b) The course of WW1 is altered, which IMO is an unnecessary divergence from OTL, and in fact an ATL in its own right. I am something of a purist, and prefer to stick to a single diverging event (don`t use up an ace when a two will do, as a gambler would say).
c) The new dynasty receives the full support of the British; in my ATL, it instead receives the lukewarm support of both Britain and France.
d) Since the POD is 1916, the Japanese still seize the German possessions in China. With a POD in 1912, I can have them unilaterally reclaimed by China itself, which is important as the new dynasty thus gets an early boost to its legitimacy.
e) Finally, Reilly has the dynasty go the way of Pahlavi Iran in the 1970s. I personally think that the regime would withstand the social consequences of modernizaton and development, perhaps at the cost of various reforms. I don`t think the Iranian comparison is valid, because the Shah, installed in power by Western powers after the CIA-sponsored overthrow of Mossadegh in 1953, simply lacked the legitimacy that this new dynasty would enjoy; it would more closely parallel Thailand, or indeed Japan.

Interestingly, in spite of the aforementioned divergences, Reilly and I both think that China would still face a Japanese invasion; would emerge victorious and politically strengthened from the subsequent war; and of course would be spared both the warlord era and Communism.
I`ll be in Taiwan for another week, but I promise, as soon as I`m back to France, I`ll get to work on the translation of my director`s cut ATL, so you can have the extended version.

Hendryk

Banned
Well, here it is at long last, the extended version of my China AH. It will come in several installments. So, without further ado...

1911-1930: the Chinese Meiji

The dynastic change of 1912

In the 19th century, China went through a crisis that seriously weakened its society and political system. Western aggression, British-sponsored opium smuggling, unbalanced budgets, the Taiping uprising, and a string of natural disasters, in the context of the gradual decline of the Qing dynasty, added up to a nearly insurmontable challenge. After the failure of the 1898 reform movement, aborted within 103 days of its launching by Dowager Empress Cixi, many concluded that the only way out of decline went through regime change. The main revolutionary leader was Sun Yat-sen (Sun Zhongshan in pinyin, 1866-1925), a republican and anti-Qing activist who became increasingly popular among the overseas Chinese and Chinese students abroad, especially in Japan. In 1905 Sun founded the Tongmenghui (United League) in Tokyo with Huang Xing (1874-1916), a popular leader of the Chinese revolutionary movement in Japan, as his deputy. This movement, generously supported by overseas Chinese funds, also gained political support with regional military officers and some of the reformers who had fled China after the Hundred Days' Reform.
The republican revolution broke out on October 10, 1911, in Wuchang, the capital of Hubei Province, among discontented modernized army units whose anti-Qing plot had been uncovered. It had been preceded by numerous abortive uprisings and organized protests inside China. The revolt quickly spread to neighboring cities, and Tongmenghui members throughout the country rose in immediate support of the Wuchang revolutionary forces. By late November, fifteen of the twenty-four provinces had declared their independence of the Qing empire. A month later, Sun Yat-sen returned to China from the United States, where he had been raising funds among overseas Chinese and American sympathizers. On January 1, 1912, Sun was inaugurated in Nanjing as the provisional president of the new Chinese republic. But power in Beijing already had passed to the commander-in-chief of the imperial army, Yuan Shikai, the strongest regional military leader at the time. To prevent civil war and possible foreign intervention from undermining the infant republic, Sun agreed to Yuan's demand that China be united under a Beijing government headed by Yuan.
However, on January 18, Yuan died, officially of heart failure, although revionist historians have speculated ever since on whether his death may have been "assisted". But even with Yuan out of the way, Sun was made to understand by the conservative faction that had rallied behind Yuan that his legitimacy would not be recognized by the armed forces and much of the state apparatus if he went ahead with his presidency; to spare China a civil war, a man acceptable both to the revolutionaries and the old elite would have to assume power. That man, chosen jointly by both parties, turned out to be Kang Youwei (1858-1927). A native of Nanhai, Guangdong province, Kang came from a wealthy family of scholar-officials. He was an accomplished classical scholar with a knowledge of the West gleaned from Western books in translation. He and Liang Qichao had fled abroad after Cixi’s condemnation of the reform movement in 1898. Kang had spent a total of thirteen years in exile, visiting over forty countries on five continents, and promoting the Society to Protect the Emperor (est. 1899) and its successor the Society for Constitutional Government (1903). To this end Kang and Liang were also involved in two failed insurrections against Cixi in 1900. Kang made his most extensive travels in the West in the years 1904-1909, visiting twenty European countries and North America. He returned to China on February 3, 1912; nine days later, the last Manchu emperor, the child Puyi, abdicated. On March 10, in Beijing, Kang Youwei was sworn in as provisional president of the Republic of China.
Kang had put his time in exile to good use. After the failure of his 1898 reforms, he had concluded that the remedies to China’s decline—beyond the overthrow of the deliquescent Qings—were a revival of Confucian values, to shake them free of the sclerosis caused by their instrumentalization by the previous dynasty, and the right balance between Chinese traditions and Western technological innovations. Having spent several years in Japan, where the Meiji regime was precisley succeeding in creating a viable synthesis between Japanese culture and Western technology, he knew such a balance was possible.
However, Kang wasn’t enough of a reformer to feel at ease at the head of a republic. Within weeks of his coming to power, he convened a constitutional assembly to define the institutional form of the new regime, and gave the chairmanship to his long-time friend Liang Qichao. Under Liang’s influence—which relayed Kang’s—the assembly promptly opted for a return to Imperial rule, but, as a concession to Sun and the progressives, with a parliamentary legislative branch. The inspiration was the Wilhelmine Second Reich, which had already been the basis for Meiji Japan’s institutional structure. Many of Sun’s followers felt betrayed and urged him to break away from Kang, but the latter deftly appeased them by entrusting several key ministry portfolios to members of the Tongmenghui. The Zhong dynasty was officially proclaimed on September 21, 1912.

To be continued.

Hendryk

Banned
One of the first measures taken by newly crowned Emperor Kang is to declare, in time-honored fashion, the advent of the Great Awakening era. But he also busies himself with more mundane matters: reclaiming control of customs (and their revenues) from the Western powers; reorganizing the civil service; reforming the fiscal system; laying the groundwork for universal education; etc. The first two years of the Zhong dynasty are thus busy ones, but the most significant development during that early period is the reconciliation of the traditional and modern Chinese elites around the new regime, facilitated by their cooperation at the legislative level. Indeed, the new Imperial Parliament is bicameral, with a Senate made of appointed members selected from both the old establishment and the business-oriented coastal bourgeoisie, and a Lower House made of elected members; but the minimum income requirement to be part of the electorate limits the latter to the wealthiest 8% of the population. Thus representatives of the two elites, the heirs to the old order and the rising bourgeoisie, get to rub elbows in both chambers, and learn to work together, much as the land-owning aristocracy and the industrialists did in 19th-century Britain.

1914: First reclaimed territory

The beginning of WW1 in Europe gives the new regime an opportunity to undo one of the many humiliations suffered by China during the previous decades. In September 1914, Kang announces that China sides with the French-British Entente, and therefore gets both countries’ blessing to reclaim the Shandong peninsula, heretofore occupied by Germany. The Germans have but a small expeditionary corps in Qingdao and, with no hopes of reinforcements coming to their rescue, are vanquished after two months of fighting; by December, the last German soldiers have surrendered. The regime’s propaganda machine milks the victory for all its worth, and the population, starved of good news for a century, lap it up. A long-dormant nationalist fervor is reawakened, and Kang takes advantage of it to launch an ambitious program of rearmament: British military instructors are hired to complete the modernization of the army along Western norms, and aircraft are purchased from France and Britain to equip the brand-new air force.
The very first plane to fly with Chinese colors is the RAF FE2, a 2-seat pusher-propeller fighter, followed in short order by the Caudron G4 bomber/reconnaissance plane. By 1917, Chinese pilots fly Nieuport 17 and SPAD SXIII fighters, and Vickers Vimy bombers are purchased in 1918.

1918: The Russian “unequal treaties†revoked

It is therefore with newfound confidence in its new military might that China observes the Russian revolution of February 1917, the takeover by the Bolsheviks at the end of the year, and the subsequent descent of the Czarist empire into civil war. The political chaos, and in particular the secession of Russia’s Pacific regions give China the opportunity to intervene militarily into Russian territory, ostensibly to contain the Bolsheviks’ expansion. In fact, the alliances made with the various White Russian factions such as the one led by Von Untgern-Sternberg are purely circumstantial; by 1920, the short-lived Republic of the Far East is promptly annexed, along with the part of Kazakhstan south of Lake Balkhach. China thus restores the Sino-Russian border as it had been defined by the Treaty of Nerchinsk in 1689, and undoes the annexions perpetrated by Russia in the second half of the 19th century.
The de facto occupation of Eastern Siberia at a time when, in Europe, the embattled Soviet regime is forced to accept important losses of territory to the benefit of the Baltic states, Poland, Czechoslovakia and Romania spurs China to create wholesale the kingdom of Yakutia, a puppet state that stretches from the East bank of the Ienisei to the Bering Strait, of which Yakutsk becomes the capital. At the time of its creation, the contry has but a scattered population made up of Yakuts (30%), White Russians (25%), Tungus (10%), Buriats (8%), Mongols (8%), Samoyeds (7%), Tchouktches (5%), other Siberian peoples and Chinese. The latters’ share of the population, initially low, rises in the course of the following decades and reaches 35% by the early 21st century.
Yakutia is predictably satellized politically and economically by China, on which it is dependent for protection against the USSR and for development. The regime is officially a constitutional monarchy, but the real power is in the hands of Chinese “advisorsâ€. Chinese garrisons are stationed along the Yakuto-Soviet border, in Yakutsk, and in the larger towns (Krasnoiarsk, Ulan-Ude and Magadan, for the most part).
Yakutia's creation and vassalization, needless to say, is done with the blessing of the Western powers, who are all to happy to outsource to China the job of containing the Soviets to the East. Better have Eastern Siberia turned into a Chinese-controlled puppet state, the reasoning goes, than remain part of the USSR. After all, can anyone imagine the USA sharing a border with the Soviet Union?

To be continued.

Hendryk

Banned
Okay guys, we're about to reach the chunky part, the Sino-Japanese war of 1933-1945. So, before that, I'd like to know how you like this ATL so far. And, if anyone has a map of Asia to spare, that may come in handy to clarify the border alterations.

Hendryk

Banned
1933-1945 : The Sino-Japanese war

By 1922, Yakutia has been secured and the relationship with the nascent Soviet Union evolves towards the same form of peaceful—if wary—coexistence that also becomes the rule on the USSR’s European borders. Various attempts by the Bolsheviks to export Communism to either China or Yakutia remain fruitless ; except for a handful of frustrated members of the Tongmenghui’s radical wing and the odd exalted intellectual, the Communist ideology fails to seduce a population already mobilized by the new regime. Banned or barely tolerated by the authorities throughout the following decades, the Communist Party will remain a marginal force in Chinese politics.
Having scored a major geopolitical victory at a relatively minor cost, the Zhong dynasty focuses inward and takes advantage of the comparative international stability of the 1920s to invest the bulk of its resources into infrastructural development. Military expenditures are no longer a priority from 1922 onwards and the modernization of the Chinese armed forces is for the most part put on hold. The Chinese soldier’s main weapon during that period is the Lee-Enfield Mk. III bolt-action rifle, licence-produced in national armories since 1914, with officers being issued a Chinese-made version of the Mauser M-1896 pistol ; both weapons will remain in widespread use until 1945 and even later in certain units. From 1924 however, a deliberate effort is made to encourage the development of a national aeronautical industry by producing under licence both civilian and military planes ; to that effect, agreements are signed with several European aircraft companies, chief among which Fokker. The new aircraft factories, located in Chongqing, Sichuan, as part of a policy of developing the industrial infrastructure of the inner provinces, begin churning out F.VII airliners and Fokker’s D line of fighter planes, from the D-XI in 1924 to the D-XXI in 1937.
Emperor Kang dies in 1927 and is succeeded by his son, who takes the dynastic name Guoxing (Star of the Nation). Within two years of his coming to power, however, international developments force a radical reevaluation of priorities for the Chinese government.

Japanese victories: 1933-1938

In Japan, the economic impact of the 1929 crisis and the rising influence of the military lead to the implementation of expansionist policies ; as early as 1930, Tokyo no longer hides its imperialistic ambitions in North-East Asia and begins planning for the invasion of former Manchuria from its Korean colony. Faced with the growing Japanese menace, Guoxing resumes the modernization of the armed forces, but privileges the Army and Air Force rather than the Navy, the importance of which is underestimated by the Chinese Chiefs of Staff. Compared with Japan, China in 1930 is sorely outmatched in battleships, both in size and number, especially in the cruiser category ; those few ships built during the 1920s are mostly medium-sized aircraft carriers.
In 1931 and 1932, tensions keep rising between Japan and China ; while the Japanese military lobby pressures the government into endorsing its aggressive agenda, officers on the Sino-Korean border initiate incidents on their own initiative in the hope of creating a strategic fait accompli. They are eventually successful : on March 4, 1933, an exchange of gunfire on the Yalu river degenerates and gives the Japanese the casus belli they needed to officially declare war on China. The first offensives are repelled by the Chinese forces, and both sides dig in along the banks of the Yalu, leading to a situation not unlike Europe’s « phony war » of 1939-1940. Faced with this stalemate, the Japanese Chiefs of Staff begin to plan a series of large-scale operations involving air raids, a land offensive in former Manchuria and troop landings in Qingdao, Tianjin and Shanghai. The offensive is launched in May 1934 ; taken off-guard by its scale, Chinese forces are overwhelmed and cede large chunks of territory in their hasty retreat : by October, the Japanese control the four Manchurian provinces of Heilongjiang, Jilin, Fengtian and Rehe, although the beachhead on the estuary of the Yangzi is pushed back by the Chinese after heavy fighting. The capital is moved from Nanjing to Chongqing. Yakutia isn’t spared : its small army and the Chinese garrisons, barred from receiving reinforcements, can only offer token resistance to the Japanese advance from the South and the Okhotsk beachhead ; so that the Vitim and Aldun districts are swiftly conquered and occupied.
By 1935, the Chinese forces have partially recovered from the onslaught and manage to slow down considerably the Japanese advance to the South and West, without however being able to stop it altogether. Partisan warfare in the occupied areas begins to organize and ties down an increasing share of Japanese troops. But the Japanese army is still at this point superiorly trained and equipped, and Japanese mastery of the seas is undisputed. The parts of China and Yakutia under Japanese occupation are subjected to thorough exploitation of both their natural resources and manpower. At the end of that year, apart from the aforementioned Manchurian provinces, the Japanese control Suiyuan, Henan (including Beijing), Shandong and Shanxi (with Taiyuan subjected to a brutal siege) ; further landings enable the seizing of Xiamen, Hong Kong, and the island of Hainan. The frontlines eventually stabilize in northern Henan and Jiangsu after the famous battle of Kaifeng. It rages from September 6 to November 17, 1935, and claims the lives of over 130,000 Chinese and 90,000 Japanese ; yet, despite intensive bombing and shelling of the city by the Japanese, the Chinese forces stand their ground, making the city a symbol of national resistance against the invaders, and earning it the nickname « Verdun of the East ». Neither side manages a significant breakthrough in the course of the following three years, although Japan generally retains the initiative during that period and keeps China on the defensive.

To be continued.

Hendryk

Banned
The turnaround: 1938-1945

The conflict takes a new turn in late 1938 : from that point on, the Chinese military apparatus, based in the war capital of Chongqing where a sprawling industrial complex has been developed in the course of the previous five years, benefits from the full mobilization of both society and economy, and is now battle-hardened. The long-delayed modernization of the armed forces is by then in full effect, and there is no longer a significant technological gap with the Japanese ; elite Chinese troops (and, increasingly, resistance fighters) are equipped with Schmeisser MP-28.II SMGs, while the Air Force is finally catching up with Japanese aircraft : apart from its workhorse, the Fokker D-XXI, the CAR fields Vickers Wellington bombers, with such cutting-edge fighter designs as the Dewoitine D-520 and the Bloch MB-155 under negotiation with the French for license production. Ground forces are issued with the kind of light armor that has proved most effective in the hilly, waterlogged battlefields of Henan and Jiangsu : the obsolescent Renault FT-17 is being phased out and replaced with newer AMC-35s and Vickers Mk. IVs. Generally speaking, China by that time benefits from the rearmament of Western Europe, as new models of tanks and planes are designed and their licenses sold by the cash-strapped governments of France and Britain. Partisan operations are also in full swing and force the Japanese to divert much of their strength for messy, morale-eroding counterinsurgency operations that for the most part only manage to harden the resolve of civilian resistance ; with over 2 million square kilometers of often densely populated territories to keep under control at the price of brutal repression, the Japanese fighting strength is, slowly but inexorably, beginning to wear out.
The outbreak of WW2 in Europe is a boon for China on three counts. First, thanks to the official alliance between Japan and Germany, China achieves the status of co-belligerent alongside France and Britain against the Axis, meaning it benefits from that point on of the American Lend-Lease program. Second, the European conflict is a timely distraction for the Soviet Union, which may otherwise have taken advantage of the situation to attempt an invasion of Yakutia ; Kremlin archives declassified in the mid-1990s offer evidence that Stalin was at the very least contemplating such a move, although no precise strategy had been formulated. Be that as it may, the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact kept him focused on Poland and the Baltic states, and the bulk of the Red Army deployed to the West. Third, being allied to Britain, China gets important assistance from Australia ; from October 1939, new shipyards in Perth built with Chinese labor begin assembling the Chinese Navy’s new war fleet (most of those workers will stay on after the war, and their descendants make up the bulk of today’s sizeable Chinese community in Perth).
The following years confirm the orientation taken by the Sino-Japanese war in late 1938 : a war of attrition in which, neither side being able to gain a decisive advantage on the other, each seeks to exhaust the other by inflicting on it unbearable casualties. Despite the Japanese use of chemical and bacteriological warfare, China gradually gains the upper hand as it can draw on virtually unlimited manpower while the bloody insurrection in occupied provinces takes it toll on Japanese forces. Attempts at encirclement by invading French Indochina in September 1940, Malaysia and the Dutch East Indies in November of the same year and Burma in January 1941, while geographically expanding the so-called Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and giving Japan much-needed access to South-East Asia’s natural resources, contribute to stretching Japanese forces even thinner.
With the Chinese front looking more like a quagmire by the year, and Washington’s embargo on oil and strategic materials putting severe pressure on Japan, Tokyo attempts to break the stalemate with a preemptive strike on the United States. But the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor achieves the opposite of the intended result, and draws the USA into the war on the Allied side, on both the European and Asian fronts. From then on the Japanese defeat is only a question of time, as the Mikado’s empire has neither the manpower nor the resources to hold against two continental powers. Furthermore, America takes over as China’s main provider of military equipment : just as M-2 haltracks and T17E1 light tanks replace the Vickers and Suomis of previous years on the ground, Chinese skies soon fill up with Lockheed P-38s, Republic P-47s and North American P-51s as older Fokker D-XXIs, G1s and Bloch MB-155s find themselves outmatched by the newer Zero fighters (the Dewoitine D-520s stay on, but are primarily used as carrier-based fighters in the latter stages of the conflict). The victories achieved by the Japanese Navy in the Pacific in 1942 are merely the swan song of Japanese power ; by December 1944, having fought to exhaustion, its industrial potential obliterated by Chinese and American bombing raids, its reserves of fuel empty, Japan has no choice but to accept unconditional surrender, which is signed on January 3, 1945. Meanwhile, the Chinese leadership has taken advantage of the Tehran Summit in 1943 to negotiate the retrocession of the foreign concession in Shanghai as soon as victory is achieved and the implementation of a timetable for that of Hong Kong (the issue of Macau, however, remains unsolved at that time).
Victory gives China most of its territorial integrity back, as it regains, besides Shanghai’s foreign concessions, the island of Taiwan, annexed by Japan in 1895 with the treaty of Shimonoseki (Sakhalin island, temporarily occupied by Chinese forces after the war, is eventually ceded back to Japan in 1952). The Zhong dynasty’s legitimacy is all the stronger for it ; for the Chinese people, Emperor Guoxing’s famous declaration from the Southern gate of the Forbidden City on Chinese New Year’s Day 1945, « Zhongguo qilai le ! » (China has awakened), symbolically erases a century’s worth of humiliations and foreign occupation. Another strongly symbolic move is the sending to Europe of an expeditionary force to help out the Allies against the Third Reich ; many of those soldiers, once demobilized, will stay on in Europe as guest workers to take part in post-war reconstruction. Bringing in their families, they will jump-start a large-scale migration movement of Chinese labor to Western European countries during the following three decades, as Europe’s booming economy needs extra manpower ; by 1975, Chinese will be the largest ethnic minority in France, Britain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany, and the second largest in Italy and Denmark, for a total of 7 million individuals, a figure which has doubled by 2004.
The long and bitter war against Japan has changed China in many ways. Politically, the regime enjoys a level of popular legitimacy unprecedented since the 18th century. Economically, development is no longer confined to the coastal areas, as Sichuan has benefited from the crash industrialization of the war years and now hosts a vibrant industrial complex as well as several renowned technical universities and military academies ; the sleepy prewar backwater is now an economic powerhouse in its own right. Culturally, the war generation has learned to take pride in both the resilience and adaptability of Chinese culture ; historians talk of a « Chongqing generation » of decision makers who came of age during the war years : men and women who grew up in the East but spent a decade in Chongqing, joining the war effort in the embattled capital, and blended the coastal provinces’ typical pragmatism and open-mindedness with the hinterland’s respect for tradition. Last but not least, socially, the war has accelerated evolutions that otherwise may have taken a generation longer, such as greater equality for women, who by 1945 constitute some 39% of the workforce (the armed forces have also gone co-ed in 1938, to make up for the high losses suffered during the initial phase of the war).

To be continued.

the Tl is really well done. i would not have expected you to go into the numbers of the airplanes.

I am a bit uneasy with the chinese in europe, but that seems to be a jproblem of mine.

Hendryk

Banned
Alayta said:
the Tl is really well done. i would not have expected you to go into the numbers of the airplanes.

I am a bit uneasy with the chinese in europe, but that seems to be a jproblem of mine.
Actually I have gone so far as to identify every aircraft purchased or license-made by my ATL's China between 1915 and 2004, classified by type, date and country of origin. I have a CD full of that stuff, with pics and technical data downloaded from the Net. It either means I have too much time on my hands, or that I'm getting borderline neurotic--but then, would I be here at all if I wasn't?
As for the Chinese in Europe, welcome to my dreamworld, in which we Europeans share our living space with hard-working, law-abiding, culturally tolerant immigrant workers. I can go to the Paris Chinatown (in the 13th arrondissement) at any time of day or night and nothing will happen to me. OTOH, I have already been mugged twice by Arab youth. So, you can see where my wishful thinking comes from.

oh, my feeling of uneasyness was not about personal security. Just that I am not used to see that exotic physiognomys all the time. My inate xenophobia is not to be controlled by rationality.

And it is really about the physiognomy, as the amount of caucasian foreigners in my home aerea is about 40-50% (mostly all kind of muslim) and I am fine with them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.