WI: A Third Hittite Empire is established.

HISTORY
c.1700 – 1190 BCE

During the last part of the 3rd and the beginning of the 2nd millenium, there was taking place a large movement of Indo-Europeans into various parts of the Near East and Turkey. Those who moved into Anatolia displaced the indigent population known as the Hatti, ruling in their stead. There was much disruption in Anatolian as the small city-states warred among themselves, leaving many of the cities in ruins. It was into this power-vacuum that the newcomers came, bringing order with them.

By c.1800 BCE these new people ruled the Cappadocian plateau, and they were trading with the Assyrians. The invasion took place over several centuries, and was mostly peaceful. They simply moved in, displaced the old rulers, and carried on, making few abrupt changes in the local way of life. The peasants probably never felt the change. The newcomers intermarried with the locals, adopted many of their religious practices, and allowed business to continue as normal.

The first invasion by the Indo-European Hittites was under King Anittas, who sacked several cities, including Hattusas, and who made his capital near Kayseri. A gap exists after his rule, and the Hittite Empire is dated from the rebuilding of Hattusas by a successor, King Labarnas, around 1750 BCE. He changed his name to Hattusilis (Hattusilis I) and built a citadel-fortress at Hattusas. This termed the Old Kingdom, and a policy of expansion became the norm for the Hittites. His descendents crossed over the Taurus Mountains to the east and waged war on Assyria and Babylonia.

The Hittites settled near the source of the Tigris and the Euphrates, consolidated their forces behind a strong king, and became a force to be reckoned with. Within a few generations the Hittites were becoming a problem in north Syria and Mesopotamia. Under King Murcilis, (c.1620 – 1590 BCE), and with the help of the Kassites, the city of Aleppo was conquered, then the ancient city of Babylon. He ended the dynasty of Hammurabi in about 1595 BCE, and brought the culture of Mesopotamia to his home capital. Scribes were brought to Hattusas from Aleppo and a school was begun. From them they learned the cuneiform script, and the many cultural advances which follow a system of writing.

Under Mursilis I the Hittites became entrenched in north Syria, and were exacting tribute from many of the northern cities. The Kassites continued the rule in Babylon, eventually becoming indistinguishable from the Hittites in general. The Hittites built several palaces in the newly won Syrian cities, installed relatives of the Hittite King to rule, and reduced most of Syria to a state of vassalage. The yoke was light for the most part, and local rulers were left in charge of their areas, simply required to pay an annual tribute. The tribute requirement extended down into Palestine, Canaan at the time. They were required to pay a ‘price of peace’ tribute, amounting to a few gold shekels a year. It was around this time that Hittite forms of weapons and defense begin to appear in Palestine.

Now a gap appears in the record of the Hittites. King Mursilis I had been assassinated by his brother-in-law, touching off a series of palace revolts and murders. The Hittite Empire was thrown into chaos, and their power ebbed; it was the end of the Old Empire. The power vacuum allowed most of Cilicia to fall to the Hurrians, and there is on record a treaty signed between the Hittites and the kingdom of the Mitanni, to the east of the Hittites. During the middle of the 2nd millenium, around c.1650 – 1450 BCE, the Mitannian kingdom, part of the Hurrian Empire, was in it’s prime and much to powerful.

The Hittite Empire, however, was still a significant power in the area. The Empire stretched almost to the Aegean, in the west of Anatolia, and well into Mesopotamia in the east. It was during this time that the Egyptian Pharaoh Thothmes I appears in Syria, erects a monument, and gives history it’s first mention of the Empire of the Hittites. Then, during the reign of King Telepinus (c.1525-1500 BCE) the Hittite kingdom was deliberately downsized to make the kingdom easier to manage. Much of the western area was sacrificed, and all the territory east of the Taurus Mountains. Although this decline reduced their political influence, the Hittites were still a powerful kingdom.

King Telepinus was the last ruler of the Old Kingdom era. Then follows a period of about 60 years of decline, and the Hittites reconsolidate their position. Around 1450 BCE a new dynasty came to power which established the New Kingdom era. Tudhaliyas I conducted several campaigns east and west and, while victorious, the success did not last long. During the reign of Arnuwandas I, enemies pressed in from all sides, and the Hittites fought for their very survival. A new people, the Kaska, a barbarian tribe, came in from the north and occupied the south coast of the Black Sea. The Hurrians occupied the area between the Hittites and the Assryians (today’s Armenia), and fought against the Hittites incursions. The Hurrians, a tribe from south of the Caspian Sea (Iran), also ruled the kingdom of the Mitanni.

Then under King Suppilulimas I, c.1344-1322, the Hittites began to retake their former territories. Action against the Kaska and others who occupied the coast of the Black Sea was the first order of business, to secure their homeland. A long period of ‘mopping up’ at home, some twenty years, lapsed before Suppilulimas I turned to the east. The fortification and training must have impressed the Hurrians because they offered no battle. The Hittites recovered territory in Syria as far south as Damascus, but the Hurrians held the line at Carchemish on the Euphrates. This city at the time was an emporium and crossing point for the major route to Babylon.

The Hurrian king, Tushratta, put up some resistance at the city of Carchemish, but was then murdered in an internal revolt. Charchemish fell to the Hittites and a local prince was installed, one who was a vassal of the Hittites. He was also married to a Hittite Princess. Throughout Syria the local rulers who did not offer immediate homage to the Hittite king were replaced by those prepared to do so. This was representative of the Hittite Empire; a confederation of city-states bound by oath to the king of the Hittites, rather like a feudal form of government. An annual tribute was established and the local rulers were allowed broad freedom to rule as they wished. Other diplomatic marriages helped cement the bond between these foreign princes and the central authority.

Meanwhile the Egyptians were not all too happy about the Hittite presence in Syria, although Akhenaten did nothing to prevent it. After Akhenaton’s reign, Egypt was in internal chaos as a series of ineffectual rulers ascended the throne. One of these, Tutankhamun (1334-1325) was controlled by the chief priest of the god Amun, and he was probably killed in a palace coup of some sort when he reached an age to take personal control of Egypt. Then his widow wrote a letter to Suppilulimas I asking for one of his sons to come to Egypt, wed her, and become ruler of all Egypt. From this it is apparent that the Hittite Empire was held in very high esteem. Incidentally, King Suppilulimas’ son was apparently ambushed and killed on the way there.

When Mursilis II (1345-1315 BCE) ascended the throne he continued the consolidation of Syria. During this time the Hittite Empire extended toward the west, almost to the Aegean. They controlled Cappadocia, Cilicia, and many of the other kingdoms in the west recognized their suzerainty. The Lydian kingdom and the Troad in the west, with the Mitanni and others along the Euphrates in the east, offered homage. The larger cities of Syria, as Hamath, Carchemish, Kadesh and others were vassal city-states. Mursilis II also subdued a kingdom called ‘Arzawan’, with it’s capital Apasas. This city is tentatively identified with Ephesus, and if in fact true, then the Hittites reached the Aegean. The jury is still out on that, however.

A later Egyptian Pharaoh, Ramesses I (1293-1291 BCE), tried to push the Hittites back and was unsuccessful. His successor Seti I had a little better luck, but was finally forced to sign a treaty with Muwatallis (c.1300 BCE) leaving the Hittites in full control. The battle took place at Kadesh, and the records of the battle and the eventual treaty were celebrated as a victory in both kingdoms. The Hittites Empire was now at it’s peak, and there were military garrisons all over Syria to keep the peace and protect the caravan routes.

Between the years 1300-1200 BCE the Hittites and Egyptians warred upon one another until both were physically and financially drained. During this time the typical defense system of a sloping, paved ‘glacis’ was installed around the major cities. These were designed to prevent chariots and siege engines from being drawn up close to the walls. On the home front, the Hittites were fond of Cyclopean type masonry, or the using of very large stones at the base of a wall. They were excellent craftsmen, placing the stones together so tightly that they still remain today.

After the death of Muwatallis, his sole heir was a young son, Urhi-Teshub, who ascended the throne. But there was an uncle, the brother of Muwatallis, who had ruled the homeland while the father and brother were off in Syria on campaign. His name was Hattusilis III and he had earned his position as viceroy by defending the homeland. Apparently Urhi-Teshub and he did not get along, and problems increased between them until after seven years reign, Urhi-Teshub challenged Hattusilis’ right as viceroy. Hattusilis brought down the full power of his position as commander of the home army and had Urhi-Teshub deposed, and sent into exile.

Hattusilis III (1275-1250) shared the throne’s power with his wife Puduhepa, and both of them engaged in diplomacy with the neighboring kingdoms to maintain the peace. She carried on a correspondence with several Queens, especially the Queen of Egypt. To further the bond of peace between the two countries, a Hittite princess was given in marriage to the Egyptian Pharaoh, Ramesses II. Hattusilis III also interfered in the politics of Babylon. There had been an alliance between him and the King of Babylon, Katachman-Turgu. Upon the death of the signatory, Hattusilis threatened to abrogate the treaty if the son of the deceased prince was not given the throne.

But Hattusilis III was the last strong ruler of the Hittite’s. And the Assryians were on the rise, making a strong ruler a necessity if the empire was to survive. He was followed by his son Tudhaliyas, of which we know little except that he was very interested in religion. It was probably he who ordered the relief carvings at Yazilikaya. The empire was deteriorating, and the way to ruin was hastened by his son Arnuwandas IV. Then his brother Suppiluliumas II took the reins and the deterioration continued. There is a record of a naval victory over Cyprus, but still the empire faded. During, or shortly after, his reign the capital city of Hattusas was sacked and burned, marking the end of the Hittite Empire, c.1200 BCE.

There were many causes for the empires end. A new power called the Phrygians were immigrating from the northwest. The incessant battles with Egypt had tapped the strength of the Hittites, who were unable to recover fully. And it was about this time the ‘Sea Peoples’ were invading all along the coast of the Mediterranean, from Egypt north along Palestine, and the south coast of Anatolia. And the Assryians were then coming into full strength, and would take over all of the Hittite Empire and more besides. But, very possibly, their loss of the secret of the smelting of iron may have been the biggest contributor to the demise of the Hittites.

The Hittites continued along in small fragments for several more centuries, but were then vassals of larger powers. Their homeland had been destroyed and taken by the Phrygians, then by Assyria. When the Assyrian king, Ashurnasirpal (885-860 BCE) conquered the rest of Syria, Carchemish bought off the king with a large bribe. Ashurnasirpal continued into Anatolia, and again was bought off, turning him toward Palestine. This was followed by his successor, Shalmaneser II (860- 825), and again the Hittites were forced to pay a heavy tribute towards peace, in about c.855 BCE.

One Hittite city, Carchemish, remained a thorn in the side of the Assryians until it’s fall in 717 BCE to Tiglath-Pileser III. It was the last city to fall, and the Hittites were absorbed into the other, newer kingdoms and forgotten by all. The Hittites were known by the Israelites as a strong, warlike peoples, and Hittite soldiers served under King David. Horses were purchased from the Hittites for shipment onward to Egypt.

So What If someone in Anatolian region gained enough power in the time of the Assyrians,Babylonians , or The Persians to establish an powerful Kingdom that might survive untill today, or What If Charchemish never fell and succeded in become the rebirth of an new Hittite Empire.

Phaeton said:
HISTORY
c.1700 – 1190 BCE

Those who moved into Anatolia displaced the indigent population known as the Hatti, ruling in their stead.

I think you mean "indigenous," not "indigent." Unless the Hatti were displaced because they couldn't pay their rent, perhaps? :D

Phaeton said:
So What If someone in Anatolian region gained enough power in the time of the Assyrians,Babylonians , or The Persians to establish an powerful Kingdom that might survive untill today, or What If Charchemish never fell and succeded in become the rebirth of an new Hittite Empire.

Actually, this could have happened. Carchemish was but one of a good number of Hittite city states which survived the fall of the Empire in southeastern Anatolia and northern Syria. If one or another of those states had been able to unite the others under it's rule, together they would have made a powerful state.

I have to admit I've always been a fan of the Hittites and wondered what might have been if they had been able to survive. Perhaps I'll take a crack at a timeline later today...

Last edited:

Leo Caesius

Banned
I'm sure many of you are aware of this, but T.E. Lawrence first came to the Middle East to excavate at Carchemish - first under Hogarth and later under Sir Leonard Woolley.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Rule Mitannia

I've been toying around with the idea of a revived Mitanni Empire, a multi-ethnic Middle Eastern state which at one point dominated both the Hittites and Assyria. The Empire was roughly one third Semitic, one third Indo-European, and one third Hurrian (speakers of a language isolate which some have attempted to identify with the Lezgian group in the Caucasus). These Hurrians, who found their way in to the Hebrew Bible, came to be portrayed as a race of Troglodytes (as the name Hurrian, Horim, can also mean "cave-people" in Hebrew). The rulers of the Empire came from another distinct ethnicity; they are often called "Indo-Aryan" for lack of a better term.

Aspects of the Hurrian mythology and religion were preserved by the Hittites and the people of Ugarit, both of whom where once vassals of the Mitanni Empire. The Hurrians left monuments throughout eastern Anatolia, many of which were later reused as Khachkars (cross-stones) by the Armenian population which supplanted them.

Among other things, the Hurrians are credited with introducing the chariot to the Middle East - this, however, is far from certain. You can read more about them here.

Pretty Interesting Leo, but how effective were the Government and Milatary forces to hold out for such an long Period of Time ?

Hello, The question is robert will The new Hittites watch Egypt slip into the hands of The Assyrians?

Phaeton said:
Hello, The question is robert will The new Hittites watch Egypt slip into the hands of The Assyrians?

Well, if the Hittites are able to revive, Assyria might not grow into a major empire at all.

I am still doing some background research for my timeline on this subject, so should have it ready in a day or so. I had to go out of town this weekend and didn't get to work on it at all.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Phaeton said:
Pretty Interesting Leo, but how effective were the Government and Milatary forces to hold out for such an long Period of Time ?
The main problem with such a scenario is Assyria, which for a brief period was a Mitanni subject, but gradually broke free and subsequently came to dominate the area again. This, of course, is also the problem with a revived Hittite Empire. After the Assyrians threw off the Mitanni yoke, and subjugated their former rulers, the Hittites came into their own again; but not for long, historically speaking.

By the way, I made a mistake with my Hebrew above; horim means "caves;" hori means "Hurrian," and horiyyim can either mean "cavites" or "Hurrians."

Last edited:
The real problem is not the survival of the Hittite people, for I'm certain that their descendants survive to this day, rather it is the survival of the Hittite culture.

How about if the Hittites early on develop the widespread use of oral recitation and training of all people (both Hittie and subject) in the religious and secular history of the Hittites through the use of Epic Poetry, combined with development of a single well recognized religious center?

The use of such epics would help to stabilize and popularize the language, while the religious center (i.e. 'holy city') would standardize the cultural beliefs.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Norman said:
The real problem is not the survival of the Hittite people, for I'm certain that their descendants survive to this day, rather it is the survival of the Hittite culture.

How about if the Hittites early on develop the widespread use of oral recitation and training of all people (both Hittie and subject) in the religious and secular history of the Hittites through the use of Epic Poetry, combined with development of a single well recognized religious center?

The use of such epics would help to stabilize and popularize the language, while the religious center (i.e. 'holy city') would standardize the cultural beliefs.

The Hittites had some excellent epics, many of which were borrowed from the Hurrians (the IE stuff in Hittite resembles that found in Hesiod and the like, but the Hurrian material is positively Lovecraftian!). The libraries at Ugarit have preserved a Hurrian epic, translated into Ugaritic, about the early Mitanni ruler Kirta and his search for a bride and the establishment of his dynasty. This is one of the best known pieces of Ugaritic literature.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Phaeton said:
Leo,what caused the Mitiani empire fall to the Hittites
Very good question. I'd undoubtedly have an answer for you, but my copy of Gernot Wilhelm's The Hurrians is packed away (I'm moving to NYC on Wednesday). Browsing through O'Callaghan's Aram Naharaim (1948) I see that I was mistaken, and that Mitanni was weakened as a result of its war with the Hittites, who had separated. Apparently, the kingdom experienced a civil war between the pro-Egyptian factions of its royal house and the anti-Egyptian factions of its royal house (but I'd like to check Wilhelm to make sure that this is still considered to be true). Because of this, Assyria became independent and later conquered them all (I had initially remembered this the other way around).

O'Callaghan's book is rather dated, but it has a nice wrap-up of the kingdom of Mitanni:

Looked at in the broad perspective of history, the kingdom of Mitanni was very shortlived, and in comparison with its neighbors could have been called a dominating power only for a short time at best. Yet it will always be a fascinating topic in the study of the ancient Near East, for the added reasons that when it first appears on the stage of history, as the curtain of two hundred years of darkness is pulled aside, it breaks upon the sight as a new entity, already established, and arrests the beholder by its very individuality. For the remarkable Hurrian and Indo-Aryan symbiosis, thriving in a feudal society, makes us want to know in ever greater detail and color, what forces there were behind the scenes molding the many divergent elements that composed this state.

Very interesting, I'm looking forward to the timeline.

By the way, about the Mittanni, I think that some evidence seemed to suggest that the Mittanni represent an indo-european overlay of indo-aryan origin on the 'indiginous' peoples.

Therefore, they did not need to be disorganized, merely outnumbered.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Norman said:
Very interesting, I'm looking forward to the timeline.

By the way, about the Mittanni, I think that some evidence seemed to suggest that the Mittanni represent an indo-european overlay of indo-aryan origin on the 'indiginous' peoples.

Therefore, they did not need to be disorganized, merely outnumbered.

The evidence was contained in the fact that they all had names like Artadama and the like, which are good old Indo-European coinages. Also their treaties mention Indo-Iranian gods. Strangely, these names (and some spare words here and there) didn't seem to follow the old s > h shift that distinguished Iranian from the Indic languages, so the scholars came up with a new term, Indo-Aryan, which explained little but satisfied those who recognized that these were probably not Iranians. No one has explained how these people ended up so far from India in charge of a large, multicultural empire.

The "indigenous" peoples of the Empire included Hurrians; Hittites and Luwians; Assyrians, various Aramaean states, the people of Ugarit, and some Canaanites as well. There were also probably some nations whose names have been lost to history. The first group are speakers of a lost language of the Caucasus; the second group, Indo-European, and the third all Semitic (East Semitic and NW Semitic). So, yes, there was lots of potential for disunity.

THE THIRD HITTITE EMPIRE, PART ONE--1200-800 BC

THE THIRD HITTITE EMPIRE, PART ONE--THE EARLY YEARS

c. 1200 BC--The Second Hittite Empire falls to attacks by invading Phrygian and Kaska
tribesman. The capital at Hattusas is burned and abandoned. Many Hittites flee south of
the Taurus mountains and take refuge in the city-states of Cilicia (at this time called
Kizzuwanda) and northern Syria, many of which are inhabited by the Luwians, a people
who are ethnically and culturally similar to the Hittites and speak a related language.

c. 1200-1000 BC--Dark Ages in the aftermath of the barbarian invasions which brought
down the Second Hittite Empire. During this period, sixteen powerful city states arise in
Cilicia and northern Syria. These states are culturally Hittite, and speak a mixture of
Hittite, Canaanite, and Luwian. Their rulers consider themselves to be the heirs of the
Great Kings of Hatti (the old Hittite Empire), but they squabble among themselves,
weakening all of them.

1168 BC--The Kassite Dynasty of Babylon is overthrown by the Elamite King
Shutruk-nahhunte. Babylon is captured and plundered (It is at this time that the famous
stele of the Law Code of Hammurabi is taken to the Elamite capital at Susa). The
Elamites rule Babylonia for the next 30 years.

1156 BC onward--The Second Dynasty of Isin comes to power in Babylonia. In the
aftermath of the overthrow of the Kassite dynasty by the Elamites, a new dynasty arises in
the town of Isin under Marduk-kabit-ahheshu, (1156–1139 BC) who by the end of his
reign will retake Babylon and re-establish the independence of Babylonia from the
Elamites.

1125-1103 BC--Reign of King Nebuchadnezzar I of Babylon. He invades and conquers
most of Elam.

1115-1077 BC--Reign of King Tiglath Pileser I of Assyria. Assyria invades the region
inhabited by the Hittites and extracts tribute, but does not remove the Hittite dynasties
ruling over the cities. In 1081 he defeats King Marduk-nadin-ahhe of Babylon and
conquers Babylonia, ending the Second Dynasty of Isin.

c. 1100 BC--Over the past 3 centuries, Aramaean nomads have been infiltrating the
Syrian region. By 1100 BC, they are powerful enough that they take control of some of
the southern Hittite cities, such as Damascus. However, the twelve cities of the north
remain under Hittite dynasties, albeit with the addition of Aramaean elements to their
population.

1076-934 BC--Aramaean invasions of Mesopotamia. Incursions by Aramaean nomads
severely weaken Assyria. Assyria loses control over the Hittite cities of Syria, and enters
a period of decline. Also during this time, Babylonia is invaded by Aramaeans and
Chaldeans, and breaks up into small tribal states. It will be some time before the country
is re-united.

c. 1000 BC--Most of the Hittite and Aramaean cities of Syria are temporarily under the
sway of the United Hebrew Kingdom of Kings David and Solomon. The Hittite cities of
Kizzuwanda (Cilicia) remain independent.

965 BC--Death of King Solomon of Israel. The Hebrew Kingdom is divided in twain,
with the ten northern tribes forming the Kingdom of Israel and the two southern tribes
forming the Kingdom of Judah. The House of David continues to rule in Judah, but Israel
will be ruled by a series of dynasties over the next two centuries. The two Israelite
kingdoms will be often at war over the succeeding years. The Hittite and Aramaean cities
of Syria regain their independence...indeed, Damascus gains independence even before
Solomon’s death (c. 970 BC), when the Aramaean chieftain Hezion (Rezon from the
Bible) siezes the city and establishes his dynasty there.

c. 950 onward--Growth of the power of the Aramaean city-state of Damascus. Damascus
brings the other Aramaean cities under it’s control.

935-911 BC--Reign of King Ashur-Dan II, who begins to once again rebuild Assyria’s
strength.

c. 930 BC--Death of King Hezion/Rezon of Damascus. He is succeeded by his son,
Tab-Rammon (Tabrimmon from the Bible).

c. 925 BC--Tuwanuwa I, the King of Azatiwataya (modern Karatepe, in
Kizzuwanda/Cilicia) unites the twelve Hittite cities under his rule. He claims the title,
Great King of Hatti, and this is recognized by his vassal rulers in the other Hittite cities.
Also at about this time, Pharaoh Shesonq of Egypt invades Judah and Israel and sacks the
Temple at Jerusalem.

c. 900 BC--The various city-states and principalities around Lake Van are united to form
the Kingdom of Urartu. Urartu, whose population is largely Hurrian in origin
(descendants of the people who once formed the powerful kingdom of Mitanni) will be
one of the great enemies of Assyria, and sometime ally of Hatti.

891 BC--King Tuwanuwa I of Hatti dies, and is succeeded by his son, who rules as
Tuwanuwa II.

c. 890 BC--Death of King Tab-Rammon of Damascus. His son, Ben Hadad I, comes to
the throne of the Aramaean city-state of Damascus.

c. 885 BC--War between the Kingdoms of Israel and Judah. King Asa of Judah makes a
treaty with Ben Hadad I of Damascus, and King Baasha of Israel is defeated. Both Israel
and Judah become tributaries of Damascus.

884-859 BC--Reign of King Ashurnasirpal II of Assyria. He fights several wars with the
Hatti, but is unable to defeat it, in large part due to alliances made by the Great Kings of
Hatti (Tuwanuwa II and Muwatalli III) with King Aramu of Urartu (in the Armenian
mountains) and Kings Ben Hadad I and Ben Hadad II of Damascus.

881-870 BC--Reign of Omri of Israel. In 881 BC, Omri usurps the throne of Israel. Since
King Ben Hadad I of Damascus is heavily engaged in warfare against Assyria, Omri is
able to free Israel from its tributary status. Omri moves the capital to Samaria, which is
heavily fortified, and extends Israelite control over Ammon and Moab to the southeast of
Israel.

870-848 BC--Reign of King Ahab, son of Omri of Israel. Most of his reign will be spent
warring, usually successfully, against the Kings of Damascus (except for one notable
instance where he fought as the ally of King Ben Hadad II against Assyria). However, in
the end, he will die in battle against the forces of Ben Hadad II at the Battle of Ramoth
Gilead in 848 BC.

c. 860 BC--King Ben Hadad I of Damascus dies, and is succeeded by Ben Hadad II.

860 BC--Aramu comes to the throne of Urartu. He makes an alliance with King
Tuwanuwa II of Hatti against Assyria.

859-853 BC--Reign of King Shalmaneser III of Assyria. He continues his father’s wars
against Hatti and Urartu.

857 BC--Death of King Tuwanuwa II of Hatti. He is succeeded by his son, who takes the
throne as King Muwatalli III (reckoning the line from the kings of the same name who
had ruled the old Hittite Empire).

855 BC--Marduk-zakir-shumi I comes to the throne of Babylon, beginning a new dynasty
which will re-unite the country.

853 BC--Battle of Qarqar. King Muwatalli III of Hatti allies himself with King Ahab of
Israel and King Benhadad II of Damascus against King Shalmaneser III of Assyria.
Shalmaneser is killed and his army is routed.

853-843 BC--Civil War in Assyria. The death of King Shalmaneser III at Qarqar has left
a power vacuum in Assyria, as his oldest son, the crown prince Ashur-dain-apla, is a boy
of fifteen years. Various claimants vie for power for the next decade, and Assyrian
power is greatly diminished by this internecine warfare. Somehow, the youngest son of
Shalmaneser survives the brutal infighting and comes to the throne as King
Shamshi-Adad V in 843 BC.

851 BC--Marduk-bel-usati rebels against his brother, King Marduk-zakir-shumi I of
Babylon. Marduk-zakir-shumi (unable to call on Assyria as he did in OTL) is
overthrown, and his brother takes the throne. He will continue his brother’s efforts to
unify Babylonia.

c. 850 BC--Following the victory against Shalmaneser III of Assyria, the alliance of Hatti,
Damascus, and Israel breaks up as old animosities resurface.

849-845 BC--King Ahab of Israel makes an alliance with King Jehoshaphat of Judah and
King Muwatalli III of Hatti against Damascus. King Ben Hadad II is hard pressed
fighting a two front war, but manages to kill Ahab of Israel at the Battle of Ramoth
Gilead in 848 BC, effectively taking Israel out of the war. Judah makes peace with
Damascus shortly afterward. Ben Hadad then concentrates all of his forces against Hatti.
Neither side is able to make much headway, however, and a peace treaty is signed in 845
BC.

c. 845 BC--Mesha, king of the city of Dibon in Moab, revolts against Israel and
re-establishes the independence of Moab. In commemoration of his victory, he sets up a
stele (what in OTL will be known as the “Moabite Stoneâ€). Ahab’s weak successors as
kings of Israel, Ahaziah and Joram, are unable to restore Israelite control over Moab.

843 BC--King Ben Hadad II of Damascus is murdered by Hazael, an influential court
official, who usurps the throne. Also in this year, the civil war in Assyria ends and King
Shamshi Adad V takes the throne. Shamshi-Adad once again begins building Assyrian
strength. However, Assyria will not be strong enough to attack it’s neighbors for some
time, and indeed will be hard-pressed to survive the onslaught of the Kings of Urartu
over the next few decades.

842 BC--King Muwatalli III of Hatti dies, and is succeeded by Hattusili Tesub I.
Recognizing the growing threat posed by Assyria, he forms an alliance with King Aramu
of Urartu, King Hazael of Damascus, and King Mita of the Mushki (Midas of
Phrygia...Phrygia was apparently ruled by a line of Kings who all were called either
Gordias or Midas) against Assyria. Also in this year, the House of Omri in Israel (in the
person of King Joram) is overthrown by Jehu, one of the king’s generals. Jehu assumes
the throne of Israel.

841 BC--Threatened with attack by Hazael of Damascus, King Jehu of Israel formally
submits to King Shamshi Adad V of Assyria. However, Shamshi Adad is in no position
to campaign against Hazael, and Jehu’s action succeeds only in enraging Hazael against
him.

840 BC--Death of King Aramu of Urartu. His son, Sardur I, comes to the throne. Sardur
breaks the alliance with Hatti and the Mushki, while maintaining an alliance with Hazael
of Damascus.

840-800 BC--Period of Urartian expansion. Under the warrior kings Sardur I, Ishpuinis,
and Menuas, the Kingdom of Urartu expands at the expense of Assyria, Phrygia, and
Hatti. By the end of the period, the Mushki have been pushed back to the Halys River,
and both Assyria and Hatti are virtual vassals of the Urartian king, paying yearly tributes.

837 BC onward--Wars of Hazael of Damascus against Israel and Judah. King Jehu of
Israel attempts to make an alliance with King Hattusili Tesub I of Hatti, but with no
success (Hatti is embroiled in conflict with the Urartians by this time). By the end of his
reign, Hazael will take all of Israel’s possessions east of the Jordan, advance as far as
Gath in the Philistine Plain, and threaten Jerusalem itself. Israel and Judah become
tributary states of Damascus.

823 BC--Death of King Hattusili Tesub I of Hatti. He is succeeded by his son, Hattusili
Tesub II. The new king reorganizes the army, reducing the proportion of chariots in favor
of light and medium cavalry (lancers and archers). The new military thus created is quite
formidable.

818-812 BC--King Shamshi Adad V of Assyria wars with Babylon. He defeats King
Baba-aha-iddina in battle and pushes all the way south to the Persian Gulf, but Babylon
itself is not taken, and Babylonia remains independent.

815 BC--King Hattusili Tesub II of Hatti, using his newly reorganized army, defeats King
Ishpuinis of Urartu, who was besieging the city of Carchemish. The advance of Urartu to
the west is halted, and no Hittite territory falls to the Urartians. However, Hatti will pay
tribute to the King of Urartu in the succeeding years. Also in this year, King Jehu of Israel
dies, and is succeeded by his son Jehoahaz. Hazael of Damascus continues his war
against Israel, and the new King proves no more able to resist than his father.

811 BC--Death of King Shamshi-Adad V of Assyria. He is succeeded by his minor son,
Adad Nirari III. Adad Nirari’s mother, Queen Sammuramat (Semiramis) rules as regent
for the first few years of his reign.

808-783 BC--Reign of King Adad Nirari III of Assyria. Adad Nirari reaches adulthood in
808 BC and assumes the throne of Assyria. His reign will be filled with warfare,
primarily against Urartu. However, he will also war against Hatti and Damascus, as well
as conduct campaigns in Babylonia to the south and against the Medes to the east.

804 BC--King Adad Nirari III of Assyria attacks Hazael of Damascus. Hazael allies
himself with King Hattusili Tesub II of Hatti, and the Assyrian army is defeated in battle
outside the city of Kadesh. Adad Nirari retires to Assyria, and will not trouble Syria
again for the rest of his reign.

801 BC--Death of King Hazael of Damascus. He is succeeded by his son, Ben Hadad III.

800 BC--Death of King Hattusili Tesub II of Hatti. His son takes the throne as King
Telepinu II. Also in this year, King Jehoahaz of Israel dies, and is succeeded by Jehoash.