The Waverlyverse Anthology

I realize writing a full-fledged TL is not my thing, so instead I'm going to write a series of stories that would take place in the same TL (in the manner of Linkwerk's master piece, The Fountainhead Filibuster). With that, I present to you, dear readers, the Waverlyverse Anthology. Be warned: the amount of RL friends and other just-for-the-hell-of-it cameos will be very high.

Here's the first entry, So Long As The Green Hills Remain.

Oh, did I mention it's open for reader participation? I'll have to clear everything, of course... :)

So Long As The Green Hills Remain

August 15, 1938
Chungking, Szechwan

Of all infectious diseases known to man, fear was the most potent of them all. It possessed no physical form, yet had always found a dwelling inside every man’s heart, waiting for the right moment to strike and spread itself. Chungking was in the midst of a fear epidemic, and the two men in National Revolutionary Army uniforms standing by Chaotienmen Pier, where scores of wounded soldiers and civilian refugees were loaded onto the waiting ships, felt it in their bones.

“Reminds you of New York, doesn’t it, Joseph?” the junior officer said to his superior and friend.

“Do I have to pull ranks on you, Sergeant Major Mujung? I’m a major, after all,” despite the apparently severity in his tone, Major Lin Yueh-yun (West Point, Class of 1934/31), courtesy name Po-wen, christened Joseph by his West Point instructors, and known to the men of Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, [1] United States Army, as “That Linsane Chink Bastard”, was pleased to hear that. He hadn’t been called by his Christian – oh, sorry, Bethlehemite, “Christian” being kind of a bad word these days – name for so long. At home, he was er di to his older sister (senior to him by three minutes) and parents, er ge to his younger brother and sister, or er shao ye to the servants; in the 51st Division, he was Po-wen to his superiors, and pai zhang, later lian zhang, and now ying zhang [2] to his men.

Being called Joseph made him feel... among friends. Free of responsibility. Goddamn, fighting a war is tough. Being in command is even tougher.

For his part, Mujung Po, courtesy name Jing-mei, aka. Bob Monroe, formerly Second Lieutenant Robert Isaac Monroe (West Point, Class of 1934/31), F/2/187th, had been slowly getting used to his extended permanent stay in the Orient, going so far as adopting a Chinese name and learning the language. [3] As one of the many homeless, unemployed and disillusioned Americans who went into exile after The Fall, he was hired as security chief for the Lin Family’s numerous factories in the Yangtze Delta, and when the War of Resistance started, he became Lin’s unofficial aide-de-camp, going so far as taking a “demotion” to buck sergeant, only to be promoted rapidly as the war dragged on. The rest of Fox Company stayed in Canada and formed the nucleus of Princess Margaret’s Toronto Rifles (The Americans), Canadian Army. Other American expats in China with military experience became advisors in the National Revolutionary Army, most of them concentrated in the Tax Police Brigade, re-designated New 38th Division after the Shanghai Campaign. [4][5]

“As the major wish, sir,” Monroe switched to his serious face instantly.

“Relax, brother, I’m messing with you.”

“I know, Joe. But man, you gotta work on your humour. It’s getting old.”

“If only we got time. And yes, it does remind me of New York, except there are almost no white people here and it didn’t turn into a total fuck-up. Not yet, anyway,” Lin’s gaze wavered a little bit as the tragedy by the Hudson played itself out in his head. “Is my sister with the wounded?”

“Never a step away from Colonel Chang,” Monroe smirked.

Lin had no idea know what to do with his headstrong baby sister – okay, she was 19, but older brothers were by definition very protective. Lin Fang-ting, or Leah, had been a freshman in Fu Tan University when Shanghai turned into a battlefield, and joined – without telling the family, a feat which had her father flipping tables and her mother, Old Man Lin’s concubine, worried sick for days – one of the many Frontline Support Teams, and later officially became a part of 51st Division’s field hospital with a temporary rank of second lieutenant. During the disastrous Wuhan Campaign, she had braved enemy fire and pulled numerous heavily-wounded men off the line, one of those being Colonel Chang Ling-fu (Whampoa, Fourth Class), commander of 153rd Brigade, [6] made famous by his near-maniacal defence of Wanchialing.

Now, the combination of handsome and mature officer (who happened to single) and young and beautiful nurse (who also happened to be single) could only lead to one logical outcome. Which made Lin raise an eyebrow, since Chang was also (in)famous for shooting his wife in 1936 because she either a) had been cheating on him, or b) was a Communist spy who stole some files from him, depending on which version of the story you hear. The man been condemned to death but got commuted to ten years of jail time due to intervention from his then-superior Hu Tsung-nan (Whampoa, First Class), and had been tight-lipped about the incident after his senior classmate Wang Yao-wu (Whampoa, Third Class), then commander of the 51st Division, bailed him out to fight.

Since they were in different regiments, Lin hadn’t had many dealings with Chang, but his acquaintances in the 305th all described the colonel as a brave soldier, competent officer, and gentleman. If that relationship turned into something else… well, there really wasn’t much he can do, now was there?

“C’est la vie. Let’s hope my old man don’t find out,” Lin sighed.

“Major Lin!” a young NRA officer ran up to them.

“What is it, Lieutenant Park?” Lin recognized the kid. Newly-minted Lieutenant Park Chung-hee (Central Military Academy, Thirteenth Class) was one of the last replacements they received before Wuhan. [7] Due to the horrendous attrition rate of enlisted men and officers, Park rose from platoon to company command in less than a week of almost non-stop combat.

“Orders from Division, sir,” he handed Lin two telegrams.

The Chinese major took his time to read them, and while he did so, his handsome face turned into a scowl.

“What is it?” Monroe asked.

Lin ignored him and turned to Park.

“Lieutenant, tell Captain Yu I want him to take however many men we have left, go around town and pick up as many stragglers as he possibly can, and then proceed to the nearest headquarters above regimental-level he can find and follow only orders issued by General Chang Chih-chung,” he dictated. As Park saluted and turned to leave, Lin added: “Tell Corporal Mei I’m relieving him of his duties. He is to stay with my sister at all times until she reached Hong Kong. Now go!”

“You’re sending Maynard away? What happened?” Monroe asked again as Park jogged away to relay Lin’s orders. Corporal Mei You-lun, or Alan Maynard, was one of the former Fox Company men who came to China with Lin when he returned in 1936.

“We got two contradicting orders. The first one was sent by some fuckhead in our government who signed a peace treaty with the fucking Japs and ordered us to cease and desist, stay right where we were, and await further orders. The second one was from the General Staff, which ‘suggested’ us to take whatever we can and make for British- or French-controlled areas.” [8]

That, of course, was the too-long-did-not-read version fit for gweilo consumption. What really happened was Wang Chao-ming, famed Nationalist revolutionary, currently Deputy Chairman of the Kuomintang, and long-time political rival of the late Chiang Kai-shek, [9] had, in the ultimate manifestation of the prevalent pessimistically defeatist sentiment that had permeated among the upper echelons of the ROC government in the wake of the subsequent series of Chinese defeats since the Japanese invaded, secretly came to an agreement with the Japanese via trusted intermediaries and, with support from several former warlords who still have control over troops loyal to them and them alone, announced a unilateral ceasefire on the Chinese side. As much as the pro-war faction wanted to fight on, the brutal reality was that their forces were understrength, underequipped, underpaid, and even underfed; whatever espirit de corps they had had long since gone with the wind. In order to preserve what was left of China’s military and rob the inevitable pro-Japan puppet government of relatively well-trained and experienced fighting men, the pro-war generals concocted a plan (with surreptitious assistance from a group headed by a certain British Conservative politician who loves cigar) to, in the words of renowned strategist Chiang Fang-chen, “rob the fucking Nips of a tool for further mischief and forge us the nails on their coffins”.

“They want to start a government-in-exile, then. What do you plan to do?” Monroe pondered for a moment and asked.

Lin tore the first telegram apart, the one from the government.

“I am a soldier of China. I follow my orders.”

[1] Yes, I am well aware the 187th did not exist until 1943 IOTL, but a) I need a recognizable famous regiment for Lin to have served in and b) authorial fiat – I rather liked the 187th ;)
[2] Pai Zhang (排長): platoon commander; Lian Zhang (連長): company commander; Ying Zhang (營長): battalion commander
[3] His Chinese is about as well as Lee Byun-hyun’s English. Make of that what you will
[4] Considering its scope and intensity, what we call IOTL the Battle of Shanghai should really be upgraded to a campaign in its own right
[5] The New 38th Division, later 1st Chinese Marine Division, would come to be known as the Chimerica Division, due to the significant presence of American instructors (mostly remnants of the China Marines) and “volunteers”
[6] ITTL the former CO of 153rd Brigade, Colonel Lee Tien-hsia (Whampoa, Third Class), was killed in Nanking
[7] Yes, THAT Park Chung-hee. He'll be remembered with much more fondness ITTL :p
[8] Chang Chih-chung’s order would later go down in history as the Last Order
[9] One of the PODs ITTL – Chiang’s plane was shot down as he left Nanking before the battle started in December 1937

Author's note on Chinese stuff: I'll be using Wade-Giles for names and Pinyin for other things. I'll also include the Pinyin, Wade-Giles and Chinese spellings for all Chinese persons (if any) appearing in each update. Look to the Chinese Table for reference

The Chinese Table
- Chungking (W-G); Chongqing (P); 重慶 (C)
- Lin Yueh-yun, courtesy name Po-wen (W-G); Lin Yueyun, courtesy name Bowen; 林岳雲, 字伯溫 (C); aka. Joseph Lin
- Mujung Po, courtesy name Jing-mei (W-G); Murong Bo, courtesy name Jingmei (P); 慕容博, 字敬美 (C); aka. Robert Monroe
- Lin Fang-ting (W-G); Lin Fangting (P); 林芳婷 (C)
- Chang Ling-fu, courtesy name Chung-lin (W-G); Zhang Lingfu, courtesy name Zhonglin (P); 張靈甫, 字鐘麟 (C)
- Wanchialing (W-G); Wanjialing (P); 萬家嶺 (C)
- Hu Tsung-nan, courtesy name Shou-shan (W-G); Hu Zongnan, courtesy name Shoushan (P); 胡宗南, 字壽山 (C)
- Wang Yao-wu, courtesy name Tso-min (W-G); Wang Yaowu, courtesy name Zuomin; 王耀武, 字佐民 (C)
- Chang Chih-chung, courtesy name Wen-pai (W-G); Zhang Zhizhong, courtesy name Wenbai (P); 張治中, 字文白 (C)
- Mei You-lun (W-G); Mei Youlun (P); 梅有倫 (C); aka. Alan Maynard
- Chiang Fang-chen, courtesy name Pai-li (W-G); Jiang Fangzhen, courtesy name Baili (P); 蔣方震, 字百里 (C)
- Lee Tien-hsia, courtesy name Yao-tsung (W-G); Li Tianxia, courtesy name Yaozong (P); 李天霞, 字耀宗 (C)

Special note on Lin and Monroe’s bio: As the Second American Civil War grew worse for the Loyalists, all West Point cadets still in school by 1934 received commissions even before they completed their four-year curriculum. They will collectively be known as Class of 1934/[insert year of enrollment], or simply the Last Class, before the Academy relocated to Cuba as HPA forces overran upstate New York.

Last edited:
Bump bumpity bump

I guess the way to avoid endlessly bumping my own posts would be to not post the OP in 3am in the morning, eh?... :eek:

Marc A

Is this going to progress chronologically? Or is it just going to be various updates from random points of time in the Waverlyverse? A good start at any rate!

Kosta

Banned
I guess the way to avoid endlessly bumping my own posts would be to not post the OP in 3am in the morning, eh?... :eek:

Marc A

I thought your first edit was pretty good and I'm glad to hear that you'll continue, but I have to ask, how will you lay out the details of this world for the audience?

Is this going to progress chronologically? Or is it just going to be various updates from random points of time in the Waverlyverse? A good start at any rate!

I'll try my best to keep it in chronological order, but do expect some (at times radical) time jumps back and forth. You, the reader, are of course welcome to suggest what do you want to see next. [1] :)

I thought your first edit was pretty good and I'm glad to hear that you'll continue, but I have to ask, how will you lay out the details of this world for the audience?

That's the tricky part: some of the stuff is still in flux, so for now I'm keeping it intentionally vague. :eek: The stuff that's set in stone will be gradually revealed via infodumps in-text, or you can ask me directly via comments.

[1] The next update is either a) the last thoughts of a man who would become known as the Chinese Napoleon ITTL or b) another scene with Lin and Monroe, depending on which way my creative juices decide to flow

Marc A

Training Day

October 31, 1938
Sector 4, Camp Kuang Fu
30km west of Mandalay, Burma, Dominion of India [1]

“All we need is something blue,” Captain (Provisional) Joseph Lin mused aloud while walking by a row of barely-finished barracks. Almost all surviving NRA officers above company-level took a demotion, simply because there weren’t enough troops around to form units that would justify that many high-ranking officers. You couldn’t have colonels commanding companies, now could you?

“Sir?” his batman, Private (Temporary) Chia San-pao, was confused. The Hupeier teenager’s village had been ravaged by Japanese scouts, leaving him and another girl the only survivors. [2] Lin’s shrunken battalion found them in the wreckage as they pulled back from the outskirts of Wuhan, and he’d been the unofficial go-to errand boy in this part of Camp Kuang Fu, or “Liberation”, since it was completed.

“It’s a British saying, San-pao,” Lin chuckled. “A bride must wear something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue for the marriage ceremony. It’s good fortune.”

“That makes no sense, sir. Shouldn’t brides wear red?”

“Different customs for different people, San-pao. Always keep an open mind about things, it’ll serve you well.”

“You still haven’t explained what you mean by ‘we need something blue’, though, sir.”

“We have men from the old army, we’re raising a new one, and we’re camping on borrowed ground from the Brits. Get it?” And that, as the saying goes, is Odin’s truth, Lin thought. None of the NRA units that followed the Last Order arrived at British- or French-held territory in anything larger than a battalion, giving the Provisional Military Commission no choice but to build the Free Chinese Forces from ground up. In a way it was a blessing – the average performance of the NRA against the Japanese was so dismal it would make any self-respecting officer want to voluntarily contract 7.63mm lead poisoning. There were of course some bright spots, [3] but not enough to have made a difference. However this new army might turn out to be, Lin had already sworn to all things hallowed that his company would not be an embarrassment.

“Ah, yes, sir.”

“Well, enough of that. Let’s go mess with these recruits. Lieutenant Monroe?”

“Yes, sir?” the once-again officer came up to them.

“Lead the way.”

---

There were 250 men standing in parade formation on the clearing. Roughly a third of them stood straight and all, another third were dazed and confused, and the rest were sort of just hanging around and not having a care in the world.

“Gonna go Polack on them?” Monroe whispered. “Polack” was Technical Sergeant Michael Wazowski, the West Point drill instructor that all graduates hated with a passion. [4] Lin had been confident in his linguistic abilities prior to his arrival at West Point, but the Polack’s supreme fluency in the less-savory department of the English language gave him doubts – the ability to completely humiliate even the toughest of West Point cadets was stunning. He also learned there was no racism in Wazowski’s eyes, for all were equally worthless.

Lin gave Monroe a knowing wink and headed for the front of the formation.

“Atten-SHUN!” he boomed. The serious third instantly snapped to attention, the confused third waited for a moment before copying them, and the lazy third slowly began to stand straight.

“This is where the fun begins,” Monroe muttered to himself. He wouldn’t be disappointed, as Lin launched himself into a rant: “Holy bloody Ares, what the hell am I looking at!? I asked for men, trained men, real soldiers, not sacks of shit moping around like a BUNCH OF GIRLS! Jesus H. Christ, did you leave your balls at home, or did the last old geisha you drilled take it as payment because you’re too fucking broke to pay!? What is it, huh!? Do you even know what the fuck are you doing here!? DO YOU!?”

Uncomfortable silence.

“YOU!” Lin pointed at a random man. “Who are you and why are you here?”

“Shen Shiu-wen, sir! I want to liberate the motherland, sir!” [5]

“The motherland might need liberating, but certainly not by the likes of you!” Lin moved on to the next one. “You?”

“Sun Wen, sir! I’m here to kill Japs, sir!”

“Are you now, Mr. Nakayama? Put more muscles on those arms and we might make an exception for you!” [6]

Another man was called.

“An Heng, sir. I was told to report here,” he was less nervous than the previous ones. A vet. Probable NCO material. Eyes on this one, Lin remarked mentally.

The process went on for another two minutes.

“All of you, have miserably failed the absolute lowest requirement of being a soldier in MY COMPANY! If these were better times I’d kick you all out, but as things stand right now, you’re all I’ve fucking got, so I WILL make you into soldiers worthy of this army! Lieutenant Monroe?”

“Sir!”

“Organize these men into squads of ten. Ten kilometer run, in formation, in three minutes!”

“You heard the captain! FALL OUT!”

As the company retreated to their quarters and change into PT gear, Lin turned to Chia.

“San-pao, you’ve been with us for a while now. Observations from what just happened?” he questioned. Both Monroe and he privately agreed that Chia San-pao was too bright to stay a soldier forever, and resolved to nominate him for OCS the moment the powers that be deemed fit to set it up.

“There are three groups of them. Soldiers, volunteers and conscripts. The soldiers have prior training and responds to your command quickly. The rest were too green to know what to do,” Chia paused for a moment before saying.

“You were right with the division, but not with the classification. The ones with high spirits were eager to impress. My guess is, hotheaded students wanting to kill them some Japs. The confused ones were lads like you, conscripted or just ended up with the army somehow. The rest were the old breed, survivors, rough characters with minor disciplinary issues but know what shit they’re doing when things get hot,” Lin responded with a smile. “Not bad, though, for a newbie.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Well, what are you doodling here for, private!? Fall the fuck in!” Monroe suddenly barked.

Chia noticed the captain had dropped the “temporary” while referring to his rank, and so he shouted “Yes, sir!” as loudly as possible, threw a semi-perfect American-style salute, and jogged to catch up with everyone else.

“Kids these days,” Monroe shook his head. “One thing though, Joe.”

“What is it?” Lin asked as they readied themselves for the run.

“That Sun Wen fellow. There’s something about him that feels a bit... off.”

“You mean besides having the exact same name as the Founder of Modern China?”

“Yeah. You see, as ridiculous as it may sound, I think...” Monroe told Lin about his suspicions. Lin nodded thoughtfully.

“Well I’ll be. Keep an eye on Mr. Sun, then, will you? Get San-pao to help you if necessary.”

“With pleasure,” Monroe saluted.

[1] The New Jaffa Conference of 1938, [7] concluded on October 25, 1938, reorganized all British holdings in the Indian Subcontinent (OTL India + Pakistan + Sri Lanka + Bangladesh, and also Burma) into the Dominion of India. In the same conference, the New Empire Initiative was unanimously adopted by all the Dominions and colonies [8]
[2] That’s pretty much the nicest way I could put it :mad:
[3] Which, of course, includes Lin’s old outfit, 303rd Regiment 151st Brigade, 51st Division. Duh ;)
[4] Imagine Wazowski to be a mix of Zim and Gunny Hartman. And yes, I chose the name Wazowski deliberately :p
[5] Shen Shiu-wen is the protagonist of the first Chinese online chuanyue novel (think of it as a story where your soul gets ISOTed into another body, usually in the past or another dimension) I’ve read, which inspired me to construct this alt-Second Sino-Japanese War :)
[6] Sun Yat-sen aka. Sun Wen (not OUR Sun Wen) was also known as Sho Nakayama. It’s where the Chung-shan in his Chinese name came from
[7] New Jaffa = OTL Malindi, Kenya. Oh yeah, Jewish homeland in Africa woot :D
[8] I have an idea about what the New Empire Initiative would look like, but am having great trouble explaining that even to myself :eek:

The Chinese Table
- Chia San-pao (W-G); Jia Sanbao (P); 賈三寶 (C)
- Shen Shiu-wen (W-G); Shen Xiuwen (P); 沈修文 (C)
- Sun Wen (W-G/P); 孫文 (C)
- An Heng (W-G/P); 安衡 (C)

Author's note: Not the best of updates, I know, but hopefully it'll give you more insights to the world of Waverlyverse

Last edited:
Wazowski sounds really, really Hartman like. I can already see him mercilessly abusing the slower recruits. :p

Also, this New Empire initiative sounds like a deliciously vague name. Some kind of federation? Or possibly a system implementing the use of giant crabs to maintain imperial order...

Wazowski sounds really, really Hartman like. I can already see him mercilessly abusing the slower recruits. :p

Tech Sergeant Wazowski, U.S. Army, was last seen during the evacuation of Manhattan, which went rather badly for the Loyalists. Nobody knew what happened to him. :cool:

And no, there probably won't be a Monsters, Inc. franchise ITTL. Sorry children.

Also, this New Empire initiative sounds like a deliciously vague name. Some kind of federation? Or possibly a system implementing the use of giant crabs to maintain imperial order...

I still have trouble filling in all the details, but basically Imperial Federation happened. The colonies (Sudan, Uganda etc.) became Imperial Provinces and some of the protectorates (Trucial Coast, Zanzibar, Malaya etc.) became Imperial Unions. Aden, Gibraltar, Hong Kong (BTW New Territories is permanently British ITTL woot) and Singapore became Imperial Cities. [1] They would enjoy equal status under the British Crown, and have control over everything except defense and foreign affairs. [2] Australia, Canada, India, Israel, [3] New Zealand, Palestine (minus Jerusalem) and South Africa [4] became Dominions (equal to a Commonwealth Realm of OTL)

The monarch's title is now this: His/Her Majesty [insert name], by the Grace of God, of Great Britain and Ireland, [5] the Empire and Dominions beyond the Seas King/Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faiths

[1] I'm struggling whether to include Alexandria or not. I mean, Queen Elizabeth's Alexandria Rifles (QEAR) does sound cool (although their nickname... well... :p)
[2] Each of the Imperial Cities, Provinces, and Unions sends their own national team to international sporting events, so no, the Empire will not pwn everyone in the Olympics or FIFA World Cup
[3] I did say Jewish homeland in Africa earlier... :D
[4] Spoilers: South Africa will become a troublemaker some time down the road. Sorry Madiba :(
[5] Ireland stayed within the United Kingdom ITTL. Easter Uprising did not happen here

Marc A

Last edited:
What's the earliest PoD?

There are two main ones that shaped this TL

#1 (1890): a student of theology, Simeon Kemper, went to sleep one night and had a most peculiar dream which will turn out to have hilarious consequences
#2 (1900): Captain Jonas D. Waverly, British Army, dodged a Boer bullet meant for him during the Siege of Ladysmith and lived on to achieve greatness (hence the name Waverlyverse)

Marc A

Last edited:
Holy shit, that's two finals down. Next one's on Tuesday, so hopefully I can get something up before I have to go back to the books again. :cool::)

Marc A

It ain't dead, I PROMISE

The Running Rabbits

November 8, 1938
Battalion Mess, Sector 4, Camp Kuang Fu
30km west of Mandalay, Burma, Dominion of India

He thought he had seen everything throughout his army life, and yet this past week still managed to surprise him.

Sergeant (Provisional) An Heng had been in the military since 1931, joining at the age of 17 because it was the only way he could get enough money to support his family. He had been a part of the Third through Fifth Encirclement Campaigns, 1/28 Incident aka. Battle of Shanghai (1931), the NRA attempts to block the “Long March”, all the way up to the beginning of what the powers that be now called the War of Resistance and known among the veterans as That Godawful Fuck-up. There weren’t many of them left in this company now – as more recruits showed up, Major (Provisional) Su Cho-lin (Central Military Academy, Seventh Class) was assigned as commander of 32nd (Temporary) Battalion, and Captain (Provisional) Lin had to spare some vets to form another two companies.

Now there’s an interesting character, that Lin guy. All the other officers he had served under ate amongst themselves. Not Lin – he had insisted all officers in this company to eat with their men. His immediate subordinates were equally interesting. Chia San-pao, who was in his platoon, somehow became a kid brother to the vets and a big brother to the newbies in no time. The company XO, Mujung/Monroe the yangguizi, was tough on the training grounds, but was very keen on trading dirty jokes with the men in his heavily-accented Mandarin off the field. If half his stories were true, Shanghai should be occupied with an army of little Monroes right now.

“Anyone sitting there, sergeant?” a voice intruded his thoughts. It was his immediate superior, Lieutenant Park Chung-hee.

“Go right ahead, sir,” he replied. The awfully-young Korean lieutenant sat opposite to him and started eating.

“Lieutenant Park, sir,” An hesitated for a bit before speaking. He was still getting used to the whole “being friends with your commanders” thing.

“Um-hm?” Park’s reply was muffled, courtesy of the bread in his mouth.

“What are we gonna do with the lone rangers?” An motioned at the two solitary figures sitting in their usual corner spot.

The “long rangers” were Privates Sun Wen and Ko Hsiao-shan, former students who went into exile with the government and signed up to fight back, and that’s what everyone really know about them. They were very quiet, mostly sticking to themselves and talked to no one else, and everyone else let them be, silently ostracizing and dubbing them the “lone rangers” behind their backs. Only Monroe and Chia tried hard to befriend them after they (wordlessly, of course) made their stance clear.

Park washed the bread down with some water before answering.

“Doesn’t matter to me, as long as they’re good at what they do and can play with the team when we get into the fight,” he shrugged.

“I would agree with you, sir, except...” An leaned over conspiratorially. “I’ve seen naturally withdrawn men in all my years, but at some point they all open up. These two are deliberately holding back. They’re hiding something.”

Before Park could come up with a reply, he saw Chia walking towards Sun and Ko. He caught An’s eyes and jerked his head in that direction.

“The captain wants to see you both in his office,” Chia’s voice was even, just loud enough for An and Park to make out what’s he saying. The privates put down their plates and stood to follow Chia.

The lieutenant and the sergeant turned back to their meals. Looks like the captain noticed too, both thought.

Five minutes later
Office of CO, A/32nd Temp, Sector 4, Camp Kuang Fu

The office’s door was not closed, and so when Chia, Sun and Ko arrived, they heard the captain softly singing an unfamiliar tune.

Let’s get down to business,
of fighting, the Japs
Did they send me daughters
When I asked, for sons...

Sun and Ko exchanged a glance. Chia noticed it and said nothing. Instead he knocked softly on the door.

“Come in,” the singing stopped.

The three privates walked inside the office and saluted. “Private Sun Wen reporting as ordered, sir!” “Private Ko Hsiao-shan reporting as ordered, sir!”

“At ease and have a seat,” Captain (Provisional) Lin gestured. Sun and Ko did as told while Chia quietly joined Monroe at his position right by the door. Lin noticed that and winked at him. Smart kid.

“Private Sun, Private Ko, do you have any idea why I wanted to see you?”

“No, sir.” “No, sir,” they replied flatly, albeit with a slight edge to their voices.

“Really?” Lin pressed on.

“Really, sir. We were hoping you can tell us,” Ko said.

“Very well,” Lin stretched his arms before going on. “You remember that little speech about honesty that I gave on the first night?” A pause. “I said that in other professions you could lie and all you’d lose is money, influence, face, things seemingly important but none which you couldn’t live without. Not in the army, though – you lie, someone fucks up, you die. Or worse, your buddies die. So despite what your elders say about good iron and good man, [1] the army is pretty much the ultimate definition of ‘brotherhood’. Trust in your brothers, they trust in you, that’s how you get the job done and survive it. The point is, gentlemen,” another pause as his face got ever closer. “I have received reliable information that one of you – no, both of you – had lied to me, in a major way. I can’t have that in my company.”

Sun and Ko’s expressions were fluctuating between panic, annoyance and despair, but they remained silent still.

“Well that’s it, then. The chance has been given for you to tell me yourselves, and you didn’t come clean. Bob, San-pao,” Lin expression suddenly turned cold.

At that, Monroe and Chia pounced on Sun and Ko and pinned them in their seats. They struggled to break free, but Monroe and Chia didn’t budge.

“Flip them over, I’m gonna try something,” Lin ordered. Sun and Ko was roughly turned around, their backs now against Lin's desk.

“We Chinese are lucky, you know, having such a rich and diverse cultural heritage,” Lin said menacingly as he produced a combat knife from the desk’s drawer. “‘Death of a thousand cuts’. That one was messed up, I’ll give you that, but a great torturing tool all the same. Now, where should I start... San-pao, a little input?”

“The face, sir? Cut them up so that even Yanlowang himself couldn’t recognize them?” Sun and Ko’s faces went white at that.

“What about you, Bob? What do you think?” the knife brushed against Sun’s shivering face.

“Bro, if you’re gonna do this you might as well go for the balls.”

“You have a sick, sick mind, Bob, you know that? Actually, though, it’s a good idea,” Lin placed the knife at Ko’s inner thigh and moved it slowly towards his crotch... and suddenly stood and withdrew the knife.

“Except there are no balls there,” he stated flatly.

“Ow God, what is this, two Hua Mu-lan wannabes?” Monroe interjected.

“Damn, you actually know about the Ballad of Mulan?” Lin said somewhat incredulously. Monroe gave him the finger and a “fuck you” look.

“I was thinking maybe they’re Japanese spies, but I totally did not see this coming,” Chia was surprised.

“How... how’d you find out, sir?” it took Sun a while to gather his – err, her – wits and stammered.

“Does it matter?” Lin retorted. “Well, if you must know: between Lieutenant Monroe and I – mostly him – we racked up quite a lot of hours in the dance clubs of Shanghai. We can definitely tell a woman apart from men.”

Sun and Ko looked at each other and sighed as they prepared to get up, now that Monroe and Chia were no longer holding them.

“Where do you think you’re going? Sit your asses down,” Lin said.

“I thought you’re gonna kick us out,” Ko was on the verge of tears. Evidently she thought the episode would end in expulsion and left out the “sir” in her reply.

“And here goes the teary-eye,” Monroe quipped.

“I did not say that, private, now sit down and let me think,” it was Lin’s turn to be panicked, and he skillfully covered that with a stern order. It took him a minute to reach a decision.

“Both of you ladies are coming with me. I’m bumping this one upstairs.”

10 minutes later
Office of CO, 11th (Temporary) Regiment

“Well, well, well. What do you think, You-ning?” Colonel (Provisional) Chang Ling-fu asked Su, using his courtesy name. Lin had led his party to see the battalion chief, who, after listening to Lin’s shortened version of the story, promptly decided it was way above his pay grade and take them to the undisputable lord and master of the 11th (Temporary) Regiment.

“How were they doing prior to your discovery, Po-wen?”, Su replied with a question of his own, this one directed at Lin.

“You mean their performance?” Lin wanted to clarify. Su nodded an alternative.

“According to my underlings – subordinates, sorry – they... um, let me put it this way: were they really men, they would be on the same boat with, like, 75% of the old army.” Lin explained.

“In other words, average,” Chang summarized.

“Yes, sir.”

The Hsi’an native turned towards the females in questions.

“You do realize we’re letting women join the Medical Corps, do you?”

“Yes, sir.” “Yes, sir.”

“And yet you still volunteered for combat duty?”

“We want to do our part and kill Japs, sir!”

“Do our part,” Chang repeated quietly, almost to himself. “Do our part.”

“For the record, chief, we recommend a revision to the rules, dish out the appropriate amount of punishment, and let them stay. They did break existing regulations, after all, but we’ll need all the boots we can get for the counteroffensive,” Su and Lin had discussed the issue on their way over and arrived at the same conclusion, and they agreed to let Su do the talking, him being superior in rank.

“So be it. I’ll talk to Tso-min about the rules, and Po-wen can handle the punishments. Fang-ting said you always have clever ideas,” Chang looked at Lin and added. “Now scram.”

“Sir,” Su, Lin, Sun and Ko saluted and marched out of the room.

[1] The quote goes something like “You don’t use good iron for nails, and you don’t send good man to be soldiers” in English

The Chinese Table
- Su Cho-lin, courtesy name You-ning (W-G); Su Zhuolin, courtesy name Youning (P); 蘇卓林, 字佑寧 (C)
- Sun Wen (W-G/P); 孫文 (C) <-- pseudonym; 孫雯 (C) <-- real name
- Ko Hsiao-shan (W-G); Ke Xiaoshan (P); 柯小山 (C) <-- pseudonym; 柯曉珊 (C) <-- real name

Author's note: I'll admit I watched too much Mulan while writing this :p

Last edited:
Under The Lion Rock (I)

Early September, 1938
Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital
Happy Valley, Imperial City of Hong Kong

The nurse on-duty barely noticed the tall man walking in through the door.

“How did it go, Mr. Lawrence?” she said.

“Won some, lost some, you know how it is,” he shrugged. “Overall? I’m a little bit richer than I was earlier today.”

“They don’t call it Happy Valley for nothing,” she laughed. “Now get in before the Head Nurse comes back. She’ll have our heads if she finds out you snuck out again.”

“Yes, ma’am,” the Tsing Hua graduate did not dither and hurried back to his room.

Only to find it already occupied.

“You are a hard man to find, Lawrence,” the mysterious visitor wearing a black suit held out a small flask. “Whiskey?”

“Depends on who’s looking,” the man called Lawrence was instantly alarmed. Only a few people knew of his convalescence here at HKSH. And his English name, for that matter.

“Suffice to say my employers know people who know other people.”

“But you’re not here to kill me.”

“If I were, you would not find out until you’re in front of Saint Peter himself.”

“What’s your business here, then, Mr...?”

“A messenger’s name is of no concern. I came with an invitation,” Black Suit handed him a sealed envelope, which he opened and read the letter contained. As he skimmed through its content, his eye furrowed.

“Did your master say anything regarding how to dispose of me after I read this?”

“I was only told to give you the letter and report back with your reply. What happens after is, I quote, ‘none of my goddamned business’.”

“I’ll give you a reply, all right. You have a pen?”

“Right here,” Black Suit reached into his pocket and produced a fountain pen. “Please don’t use it on me – cost a fortune, this one.”

“I just need something to write with, and I’m not about to bite my own finger.”

“Fair enough.”

Lawrence scribbled a short sentence at the back of the letter, folded it, and handed it back to Black Suit, who promptly rose and walked towards the door.

“We shall meet again,” with that, Black Suit disappeared from view.

“I hope not,” Lawrence said to the empty room.

---

Black Suit left the hospital and hopped onto a waiting car.

“You were right, Mr. Sung,” he said to the other man waiting and handed the letter to him. “He didn’t turn.”

The other man took a look at it and chuckled. The reply was in English:

FUCK YOU VERY MUCH, YE OF LITTLE WANG [1]

Signed,
Colonel Sun Li-jen, National Revolutionary Army

“I didn’t know they teach them that at VMI. At any rate, I guess you can take that off your list,” Sung Tzu-wen, former Treasury Minister and brother-in-law of Chiang Kai-shek, told Black Suit.

“Still got some other things to do though.”

Several days later
Star Ferry Pier
Tsim Sha Tsui, Imperial City of Hong Kong

As he stepped out of the cross-harbour ferry, Black Suit paused for a second to check that he was not tailed. Finding no one of suspicion, he made his way toward The Peninsular, probably the most luxurious hotel in this part of Asia. Upon arrival, he was led straight to a conference room. His companions, for lack of a better term, were already there. He joined them wordlessly.

“That’s everybody, then. We should probably get this started, seeing that we have a lot on the agenda,” a bespectacled man stood and announced.

“First, I must apologize for the inconvenience of having all of you pour your own tea – such is the price of secrecy. And of course, introductions...”

Black Suit listened attentively to the list of attendees present – all of whom had control over valuable assets in their own right – and boy, was that a crowd:

- Lieutenant-Colonel Lindsay T. Ride: Professor of Medicine, University of Hong Kong; Head of Section (South China), MI6 Far East Station [2]
- David Moriarty: Station Chief, MI6 Far East Station [3]
- Terrence Jennings: Head of Special Branch, Hong Kong Police Force
- Major General Yu Cheng-wan: former commander, 57th Division, National Revolutionary Army; highest ranking Chinese officer in Hong Kong at the moment [4]
- Mark A. Young, Lord Mayor of Hong Kong [5][6]

“Last but not least, Mr. Shen Tsui, [7] chief of the Chinese Intelligence Agency’s Hong Kong Station.” With that, Black Suit stood and acknowledged the crowd. [8][9]

“Temporary chief. I’m told my superior will arrive in Hong Kong shortly,“ he clarified.

“Ah, I see. Now, onto business,” the Australian began. “General Yu, how fares your command?” By virtue of rank – major general – and experience – Whampoa, First Class – Yu was now responsible for the welfare of the 20,000-something NRA soldiers from different units who somehow got themselves to Hong Kong in the wake of the Chinese government’s surrender.

“With a few exceptions, most of them want to take the fight to the Japs,” Yu said. “About half of them wanted to go to Burma and join the government-in-exile. The rest were divided between going behind enemy lines and staying in Hong Kong to protect the people.”

“And the officers?”

“I will lead the guerrilla force, and General Yeh will command the stay-behind detachment here. We’ll scrape a staff together for our missions, and the rest goes to India,” Yu replied, referring to Major General Yeh Pei-kao (Kunming Military Academy, Class of 1925).

“If that is so, we are prepared to offer General Yeh and your men British citizenship, in exchange for service with the British Army. Your command, such as it is, will be reorganized into a regiment-sized unit, the King’s Chinese Rifles, which would be responsible for defending Hong Kong. Some of your men will be used to beef up the Royal Hong Kong Regiment [10] and other support units,” Young said slowly. “Some of your best and brightest may be of interest to Messrs Moriarty and Jennings, whose line of work requires... special talents and not a lot of people meet those requirements, I’m sure you understand.”

“I shall consult my officers and gauge the opinion of the men,” Yu replied diplomatically.

“Good, good. Next item…”

The meeting did not end until sundown, but it was worth it. For better or worse, His Majesty’s Government will assist the Chinese people in their death struggle against Japan. Clandestinely, of course – Perfidious Albion and all that.

[1] I don’t know at what point did “wang” came to mean “penis”, but it's too good a joke to pass up for the situation, donchathink? :D
[2] I took some liberty with his career, but Mr. Ride actually existed IOTL
[3] Sorry, can’t help it :p
[4] IOTL he didn’t take command of the 57th until 1940, but authorial fiat, so yeah
[5] Well, we are now an Imperial City. Can’t stick with “governor”, now can we? ;)
[6] Butterflies at work: Mark Young was in charge earlier. Why? I don’t like Northcott, that’s why
[7] A somewhat famous Chinese intelligence operative IOTL
[8] WAKAKAKAKAKA
[9] The creation of Central Bureau of Investigation and Statistics (CBIS), Military Bureau of Investigation and Statistics (MBIS) has been butterflied away; suffice to say they don’t like each other IOTL
[10] Under the New Empire Initiative, all Imperial Provinces/Unions/Cities raised a regiment for the Regular Army and maintain a Local Reserve (size varies according to strategic needs)

Author's note: I know this sucks, but at this point I just want to get this out of the way so that I can start writing another one. Also, it's Turtledove time, so I gotta step up my game (not that I'm gonna win, because all the other contenders in Continuing WWII are freakin' awesome).

Last edited: