Like No Business I Know

Like No Business I Know

January 1996 -- Despite being mere months after the release of his infamous flop, Waterworld, things were actually looking good for Kevin Costner, as he was the top choice for the lead in two tempting that would be shooting around the same time: one, a post-apocalyptic movie that very much appealed to his artistic sensibilities, an adaptation of David Brin's The Postman; the other was what looked to be a promising popcorn flick with the President of the United States as an action hero. And now he had to choose one. Thinking it over, Kevin couldn't help but remember how often he'd hear or read the same passive aggressive advice -- “You might want to steer clear of science fiction for awhile”. When he swallowed his pride, he thought perhaps it's not so difficult a decision after all...

kevin-costner-waterworld20.jpg

Later that year -- “Since you were in the area”. This was the strangest part of the invitation to the Kubrick Estate, since it was in England and Harrison Ford was to be shooting in Ireland around this time, for Pakula's film (what was to be his last), The Devil's Own. But Harrison decided you didn't need too much of an excuse to visit one of the most praised directors in movie history, so he made the time. As it so happens, his Ireland travels were less important to his invitation, than the fact that he happened to have no scheduled shoots once that summer ended. After the fateful meeting, Harrison felt the need to talk to...

Harrison-Ford-9298701-1-402.jpg

Later -- George Lucas hung up the phone -- while he was happy enough to catch up with Harrison Ford, but he still found it funny that after all these years, Ford would want to tell him about a career opportunity of his. The conversation made two things plain: (1) to Harrison, that George really didn't have anything to offer in terms of advice for working with Pakula or Kubrick; and (2) to Lucas, that perhaps he should think about whose advice he would trust and respect in sharing his recently completed first draft of the First Film. And one name came fairly quick to mind here: Lawrence Kasdan...

300px-Skywalker_Ranch_Main_House.jpg

July 1996 -- Edward Norton's year just kept getting better; months earlier had seen his cinematic premiere with his supporting role in Primal Fear, and still to come was his major role in The People vs Larry Flynt, as Flynt's attorney; now it was officially announced that he would be starring alongside none other than Al Pacino in an adpatation of The Devil's Advocate. Keanu Reeves, meanwhile, was doing less well it seems he had also had his agent lobby for the role, but thus dejected, was now moving on to star in upcoming Speed sequel...

2844894179_2da48fa777.jpg

Late 1996 -- What got James Cameron thinking was reading the George Lucas quote -- where George told the reporter how he was “learning now, only now after so much work, how much more there is to do”. As he reflected about his own ongoing project, Titanic, James realized that unless he found a way to begin editing the footage by February, there was no way he was going to meet the July deadline. He continued to think, how a project that began as risky as his falling behind schedule and over budget would put his reputation at risk (absent a ridiculous level of, frankly, unlikely box office success), and decided he would have to treat the challenge seriously...

OOC: So first post, first year, and we see the butterfly effect in full force: Kevin Costner passes on Postman to do Air Force One; this opens the room in Harrison Ford's shooting schedule to make him a candidate for another film, giving him an opportunity to do Eyes Wide Shut; this opportunity leads to a phone call, which ends up getting George Lucas thinking about Episode I of Star Wars; and some of Lucas' thinking leaks to the press, to get James Cameron thinking about Titanic -- and before you know it, one actor's decision has rippled to change the fate of at least five films, with many more ripples to come. Oh, and Keanu Reeves gets passed up for Devil's Advocate, which will have butterflies of its own. For the next couple of years, the number of affected films are going to be a manageable list -- but when the changes start to compound in 1999...

Well anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. What do you guys think so far?

Interesting start! Kevin Costner quite possibly saving his career in Air Force One, Harrison Ford (and not Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman) in Eyes Wide Shut (and you could write a whole timeline about roles that Harrison Ford turned down,by the way), and Keanu Reeves being forced to accept Speed 2 (a film he very wisely avoided IOTL), which will likely hobble his career. Which probably means no Matrix. Now, most of us probably know who the first choice for that film was...

Keep it up, and consider me subscribed! :)

Stolengood

Banned
Wasn't Lucas pretty close to starting production in late '96, though? If I recall correctly, he started filming early in '97; the booking of studios to film in in England also impacted on another Britain-based film, which thus had to create their own facilities (the second time in two years) -- the film, of course, is Tomorrow Never Dies. ;)

Regardless, I'm eager to see how this plays out. Consider me subbed. :cool:

Interesting start! Kevin Costner quite possibly saving his career in Air Force One, Harrison Ford (and not Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman) in Eyes Wide Shut (and you could write a whole timeline about roles that Harrison Ford turned down,by the way), and Keanu Reeves being forced to accept Speed 2 (a film he very wisely avoided IOTL), which will likely hobble his career. Which probably means no Matrix. Now, most of us probably know who the first choice for that film was...

Keep it up, and consider me subscribed! :)

Glad to see you excited -- now let's just hope the pressure doesn't get to me. :eek: There's at least one prediction there where I'd say "Just wait to see how everything unfolds -- because no butterfly effect here exists in isolation". ;)

Harrison Ford did turn down a lot of great roles, but this one's actually not so much inspired by a real offer as just by how Kubrick was conceiving of the character: According to writer Fredrick Raphael, he told Stanley he "felt Bill should be Jewish as in the original, but Stanley Kubrick insisted Bill and Alice be "vanilla" Americans, without any details that would arouse any presumptions. Kubrick said that Bill should be a bit like Harrison Ford - hence the name Harford." I don't know for sure if Kubrick only didn't make the offer to him because Ford was already tied up for the rest of 1996 and early 97 (when he wanted to begin shooting), but you still just have to imagine... :rolleyes::D

Can't wait to see where this leads. This site can always use more pop culture threads.

Glad to fill the niche.

Wasn't Lucas pretty close to starting production in late '96, though? If I recall correctly, he started filming early in '97..

What I definitively recall (though I'm now having trouble sourcing) is that the first draft of Episode I was finished in 1996; also (and I can source this) that the first draft was in many ways substantively different from (and better than) the final product -- I've got a whole thread based on this revelation. (Which really tells you something about George's writing process, doesn't it?)

Stolengood

Banned
What I definitively recall (though I'm now having trouble sourcing) is that the first draft of Episode I was finished in 1996; also (and I can source this) that the first draft was in many ways substantively different from (and better than) the final product -- I've got a whole thread based on this revelation. (Which really tells you something about George's writing process, doesn't it?)
I've read a summary of that draft, and it is much better, I agree... think it'd be interesting, though, if Lucas actually let some of the air out of his ego ITTL and let other directors handle Episodes I-III; I can very easily see, say, Luc Besson or Jean-Pierre Jeunet being hired, don't you? :)

Summer of 1997​

Two major blockbusters dueled this summer for top grossing film of the year: Men in Black, directed by Barry Sonnenfeld and starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones; and Titanic, directed by James Cameron, starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio. While there were similarities in the stakes of each -- Smith and DiCaprio both had only recently started to establish themselves as potential leading men -- Titanic simply had more to lose, particular for its director. Years before, when he wrote a scriptment for a Titanic film, Cameron met with 20th Century Fox executives including Peter Chernin, pitching it as "Romeo and Juliet on the Titanic". According to Cameron, "They were like, 'Oooooohkaaaaaay – a three-hour romantic epic? Sure, that's just what we want. Is there a little bit of Terminator in that? Any Harrier jets, shoot-outs, or car chases?' I said, 'No, no, no. It's not like that."" So from the beginning, the studio was dubious about the film's commercial prospects -- it was only in the hopes for a long term relationship with Cameron that they gave him a greenlight at all -- and as the July release date approached, articles popped up in industry magazines all over looking to dampen box office expectations.

Titanic-Poster-titanic-28607062-300-423.jpg
MIB1_Poster.jpg

And then, something funny happened: The film became the highest grossing film of the year. With over $300 million domestic (and then going on to make as much overseas), James Cameron's “expensive chick flick”, as insiders were calling it, seemed to confirm what Hollywood had been forgetting: that women go to the movies too, and there was real market potential in putting real resources (artistic and capital) to make films that appealed to them. It's hard to know how this unexpected success story influenced the runner up of the year, Men in Black; it certainly did well enough at $250 million domestic, but there's only so much a film can do when it was supposed to dominate the summer, and ends up coming in second. While Sonnenfeld would never again be such a box office success as a director again, Will Smith was only starting to rise -- and get interesting...

OOC: Next up -- Devil's Advocate gets acclimation; casting changes to 1998; and then... a very different 1999.

And then, something funny happened: The film became the highest grossing film of the year. With over $300 million domestic (and then going on to make as much overseas)

It actually made $1.84bn Total (Global) on the main release, according to this source - in other words, a little over nine times as much as it cost to make - as well as winning 11 Oscars.

Still, let's see what 1998+ has to offer - other than giving Costner a chance to revive his damaged career at this point.

I'm rethinking whether Devil's Advocate needs its own post -- my only major thought on it is that it would have been so much better than OTL, if only they didn't go with Keanu for the lead. Thoughts?

It actually made $1.84bn Total (Global) on the main release, according to this source - in other words, a little over nine times as much as it cost to make - as well as winning 11 Oscars.

Right, in OTL -- but even though the competition reduces it to a third of what it saw with a December release, TTL doesn't know that, so they're just talking up how it's (still) the top hit of the year. (How's that for dramatic irony? ;))

1998​
This year, in American Cinema:

220px-70th_Academy_Awards_poster.jpg

*Keanu Reeve's career comeback struggles, as the year begins with the release of a film where he managed to pick up a minor role, an adaptation of Dean Koontz Phantoms [1]
*Al Pacino is nominated for Best Supporting Actor, for his role in Donnie Brasco; Tony Gilroy and Jonathan Lemkin are nominated for their Adaptation of The Devil's Advocate [2]
*Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio both continue their respective careers by taking a supporting role in groundbreaking films about WWII, Sgt Edward Welsh in Thin Red Line [3] and Private Ryan in Saving Private Ryan, respectively
*Rounders is released, starring Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, John Tuturro, and Sean Penn [4]
*Edward Norton's reputation continues to rise with the release of American History X; meanwhile, he works on shoots that will continue this trajectory.
*As John Madden's new film, Shakespeare in Love, is garnering critical acclaim, Miramax announces that he is signed on to direct their adapatation of Lord of the Rings; it was said New Zealand director Peter Jackson had left the project due to creative conflicts with the company [5]
*The Postman, stuck in development hell after Costner turned down the project two years earlier, finally gets off on its feet... [6]

OOC: Yeah, so I figured I'd just give a quick summary of how this year is different from OTL so that I could get to 1999 more quickly -- things will really slow down after this. Notes:
[1] Giving Ben Affleck one less 1998 project
[2] Greg Kinnear and Hossein Amini are not nominated this year, TTL; as to why Pacino got nominated for Brasco, my thinking is that Pacino's now got a better reputation overall this year (due to Devil's Advocate now being good), and “Ruggiero” is still the better performance/character
[3] And now Sean Penn has to find something else for this year, as the next bullet shows
[4] Affleck and Penn replacing Norton and Malcovich respectively
[5] In TTL, Jackson does not succeed in getting New Line Cinema to buy the rights to the books
[6] I had to add this part hours after the original post when I just realized how that plot element had been left dangling :eek: -- I'm actually wide open to feedback on what TTL's version would look like

Last edited:
I'm actually wide open to feedback on what TTL's version would look like

Half an hour shorter, and not bad.

The movie had an interesting premise — post-apocalyptic landscape of small towns ruled by a heavily armed gang of white supremacists, guy starts a postal service between the towns while lying his ass off about a "Restored United States of America" somewhere over the horizon, group of messengers grows into a rival army that liberates the land — but the Horseback Messiah completely ruined it. Instead of an epic battle between the "Holnists" and the postmen, the movie ended with him defeating the Holnist leader in a wrestling match and taking command of the bad guys himself.

(Actually, it really ended with the unveiling of the bronze statue of the Horseback Messiah. Oh yeah, and "This is your daughter. Her name is Hope.")

Awesome start! I'm watching with bated breath.

I have a feeling the Fresh Prince is Neo, but I'll wait and see...
I doubt Reeves not being cast as Neo would lead to Will Smith being cast. I imagine Smith would probably still have the same concerns with the film that caused him to turn down the role in OTL, so, unless they offer him a ridiculous amount of money for the job, my guess is that he still turns it down.

You're taking Peter Jackson out of Lord of the Rings. I suspect you wouldn't do this to Lord of the Rings unless they have bigger plans for Jackson. There are few things bigger than Lord of the Rings. Is he going to be involved in Star Wars?

Good changes to make, but who makes them? (Remember, Postman's also out OTL's director)?

how come you aren't reporting updates in the sticky, though?

Honestly, I've got a weird thing about consecutive posts -- but I should stick with that, yeah... :eek:

I doubt Reeves not being cast as Neo would lead to Will Smith being cast. I imagine Smith would probably still have the same concerns with the film that caused him to turn down the role in OTL, so, unless they offer him a ridiculous amount of money for the job, my guess is that he still turns it down.

Ah, but it's not just Keanu who's affected by TTL changes ;)

You're taking Peter Jackson out of Lord of the Rings. I suspect you wouldn't do this to Lord of the Rings unless they have bigger plans for Jackson. There are few things bigger than Lord of the Rings.

Can't say what my plans for Pete are, actually -- my main draw here was seeing just how close LOTR came to this fate around this time, then not being able to resist the temptation. :eek: That said, I'm wide open to suggestions of where his career goes from here...

Ah, but it's not just Keanu who's affected by TTL changes ;)
Whatever happens, I hope Smith picks something better than Wild Wild West to star in.

On Peter Jackson, given how King Kong and Lord of the Rings have both fallen through for him ITTL, it will be interesting to see what he ends up doing.

I don't envy John Madden in this situation.

John Fredrick Parker said:
I'm actually wide open to feedback on what TTL's version would look like
How about fewer assault rifles?:rolleyes: Seriously, if that was in the original, David Brin should be ashamed. He should damn well know better.:mad:

Actually, if it looked like a cross between "The Omega Man" & "Shakespeare in Love" you wouldn't go far wrong.

BTW: subscribed. I'm liking the idea. (Now, if you can make PotUS a bit less a superhero in "Air Force One" {& fix the stupid "callsign change" at the end:rolleyes:})...

Last edited:
Whatever happens, I hope Smith picks something better than Wild Wild West to star in.

I wouldn't say there's a danger of that happening (not that it would be difficult :p)

I don't envy John Madden in this situation.

Well, OTL he followed with Captain Corelli's Mandolin -- he'd need a hell of a stinker to beat that (not that I would rule that out, mind you ;))...

I know I'm nagging but, will there be an actual Godzilla?

Sorry to break it to you, but the PoD was too little too late to stop that Emmerich monstrosity.

How about fewer assault rifles?:rolleyes: Seriously, if that was in the original, David Brin should be ashamed. He should damn well know better.:mad:

Actually, if it looked like a cross between "The Omega Man" & "Shakespeare in Love" you wouldn't go far wrong.

Well to be honest, I have yet to really watch the film, and am still unsure if I'll subject myself to it; right now, I think the post on it will deal mainly with the alternate director and star, etc.