Greatest 19th Century US President - DSA Timeline

Greatest 19th Century US President in the DSA timeline?

• John Bertrand - Federalist - 1873-1881

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Blunt - Federalist - 1881-1885

• Erastus R. Bingham - Democrat - 1885-1889

• Steven Ladd - Democrat - 1897-1901

• Total voters

Glen

This is a poll and discussion for which is the greatest 19th century President of the United States of American of the world of the Dominion of Southern America. If you are torn, you may vote for more than one.

DSA Main Thread

DSA Timeline:
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

PS - I have declared by fiat that George Washington was the greatest president of the 18th century.

Glen

Well, it's slow going this start - Poe is off to an early lead with 2 votes, and surprisingly the only other vote getter thus far is Adams with 1 vote.

Glen

Well, it's slow going this start - Poe is off to an early lead with 2 votes, and surprisingly the only other vote getter thus far is Adams with 1 vote.

I wonder if Adams gets the vote in part for bringing the Missouri Territory to the Union by allying with the British in the War of 1804.

I choose John Andrew Schulze for a few reasons.

He set the precedent for acquiring territory through peaceful opportunistic diplomacy without threat of violence. This precedent was then effectively used to get Alaska on the cheap and influenced Morrocco in asking to be a protectorate.

Domestically he was a major champion of good education for all Americans before and during his Administration.

Finally he was the first President not of Anglo descent. This was a major if under appreciated milestone that likely inspired tens of thousands of Germanic, Scandinavian, and even Francophone Americans as it showed that with hard work and talent any career was possible in the USA.

I do accept that Poe might have a stronger claim on being the Greatest. He dragged the USA out of the Depression while keeping the USA out of the war but defying all Eastern threats. And then he somehow managed to shove a massive Humanitarian economic recovery package through Congress that included aide for a couple of the Eastern powers.

In sum: Poe probably deserves the Title but Schulze deserves a second look at his accomplishments.

Glen

I choose John Andrew Schulze for a few reasons.

He set the precedent for acquiring territory through peaceful opportunistic diplomacy without threat of violence. This precedent was then effectively used to get Alaska on the cheap and influenced Morrocco in asking to be a protectorate.

Domestically he was a major champion of good education for all Americans before and during his Administration.

Finally he was the first President not of Anglo descent. This was a major if under appreciated milestone that likely inspired tens of thousands of Germanic, Scandinavian, and even Francophone Americans as it showed that with hard work and talent any career was possible in the USA.

I do accept that Poe might have a stronger claim on being the Greatest. He dragged the USA out of the Depression while keeping the USA out of the war but defying all Eastern threats. And then he somehow managed to shove a massive Humanitarian economic recovery package through Congress that included aide for a couple of the Eastern powers.

In sum: Poe probably deserves the Title but Schulze deserves a second look at his accomplishments.

I think that was very well said, Cylon_Number_14!

I almost imagine Poe saying 'never more' in response to the horrors of the Global War as he sends humanitarian aid, and that becoming a famous quote attributed to him as an amusing Allohistorical Allusion....

Also, needless to say, you can see whom I voted for then, heh.

Glen

I almost imagine Poe saying 'never more' in response to the horrors of the Global War as he sends humanitarian aid, and that becoming a famous quote attributed to him as an amusing Allohistorical Allusion....

Oh ho, that's a good one!

Also, needless to say, you can see whom I voted for then, heh.

Noted, noted....