Don’t turn your back on the Wolfpack - A Spinoff of the Protect and Survive TL

stalkere

Banned
Duck and Cover – Don’t turn your back on the Wolfpack
Feb 21 1984
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=210214

1983- The Brink of Apocalypse – Colonel Stanislav Petrov prevents a nuclear war when a Soviet system malfunctions and reports US ICBM launches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_VaTeLnGdo&feature=related – you really ought to look at all eight parts for a good look at this time period. A good look at the ABLE ARCHER exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w – First Strike – a film made with an extraordinary amount of cooperation with Strategic Air Command, about a possible attack on the US in the 1980s. If you look at all three parts, it is a thinly disguised commercial for the MX/GLCM missile increases and MIRV targeting funding increases. But there is a lot of good information here, even so.

I recall the world that was in those days – I was a recently divorced single father in college in those days, a Staff Sergeant in the Air Reserve and scared as hell of the world situation. If I’d know what had really happened, I’d have been terrified.

Duck and Cover! is the American View of the events happening in Protect and Survive, the post-nuclear war Time Line started by Mcgraggle. I recommend you check it out here, reading the first couple of posts and some of the Prospero stories will help you get some context of some of the events found in Duck and Cover! Now, without further ado here is Duck and Cover! hope you enjoy.

Land of Flatwater is another story set in this shared universe https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=211130

Which discusses events in Nebraska

So, a fanfic of a fanfic…recursive much? Anyway – this is a tale of a few people in Western New York, in a timeline where WWIII happened in February 1984.
-=-

Feb 21, 1984 Buffalo, New York

The young man sat on the ratty couch, watching the news on the black and white portable. His right leg was propped up on the ottoman, encased in a cast.

A cast covered in scribbles.

A cast that looked like it might have saved his life, if only for a little while. His Reserve unit had been called up and sent to Europe…but he had slipped on an icy ramp during a training mission in January.

In the hell that was Europe, nobody on the local news channels had said anything about the 914 Tactical Airlift Wing. He assumed that the aging C-130 A models probably lasted about as long as the tissue paper dog on a run through Hell.

He struggled to his feet and looked out the window at the swirling snow. It was a nasty day out there, cold and grey and biting. In other words, it was a normal February day in Western New York.

His son was curled up in his favorite bean bag chair. He had dozed off, bored by the news coverage.

The man smiled a sour grin. He remembered a Crisis much like this one, 22 years earlier, with missiles in Cuba. But – somehow – this one seemed worse. He had made preparations, as much as he knew how to make.

He had carried canned goods and dry goods to the basement. He had filled gallon after gallon of milk jugs for water. He had been putting away Sterno fuels and trioxane tabs for years.

Suddenly, the picture on the TV changed. A steady tone came over the audio, and the Emergency Broadcast Announcement told everyone to move to shelter.

“Kevin.” He said, shaking the boy. “Kevin, wake up, it’s time to go downstairs.”

“Waah, dad?” said the sleepy six year old.

“We need to go downstairs. Daddy can’t carry you with his leg.”

“Hokay.” Said the sleepy boy. Tall for his age, he was already dressed for survival.

In the Hunter family, it was an article of wisdom, “scrounge what you can, when you can. You never know when it might come in useful.” Steven Hunter had managed to scarf up an Extra Small Nomex Flight Suit, and a set of extra-small Nomex underwear.

Why some Air Force functionary had decided to have a contractor make a flight suit smaller than the minimum height requirement, why some supply Sergeant had put it on stock at the base was unknown…but Steve had been told to “get rid of it.”

And now, it might make the difference between life and death for his son.

The town house had a basement that doubled as a garage. Steve’s 73 Duster took up most of the room, but he had put a desk at the front of the garage, made of 2x6 planks on top of two filing cabinets. Footlockers of canned goods, water and ammunition, two shotguns.

He was as ready for Armageddon as he knew how to be.

They curled up on the deployment bags, under the desk, and Kevin went back to sleep. There was sirens outside, and noise. It sounded like somebody was pounding at his door, but Steve decided to go back to sleep. No way was he going to stump back upstairs with this leg right now…let alone with inbound missiles.

A little while later, the house bucked and heaved, and the heavens roared. It sounded as if part of the building collapsed. Kevin woke up, scared, but Steve shushed him, and told him to go back to sleep.
-=-
A few hours later, they woke up. It was deathly quiet outside.

Steve checked his watch. 3.30 PM. He stood and stretched. He pulled out his flashlight and shined it around. The garage looked to be in good shape. He pulled out his Geiger counter and checked. It looked as though his taping job was holding – either that, or they didn’t get hit as hard as he had expected.

He went to the tope of the stairway and checked it. The counter started to click faster and the needle swung over. The door was cold to the touch, which told him that the townhouse above was probably broken, maybe gone. He went back down to the base of the stairs.

-=-
A week later, the Steve decided to risk the door. He and Kevin were absolutely stir crazy. The boy was incredibly smart…but he was still, just six years old. Steve had put the Small Mission Orientated Protective Posture Suit on him, carefully taping all the junctures, fitting the extra small M-17 mask. To the boy, it was still a game. He could not yet comprehend the idea of life and death.

“Stay here, Boy” Steve said. “I just want to take a quick look around.” And I’ll be right back.”

“But I want to see, dad.” Whined the boy.

“I know, I know” said his father. “But, it’s not going to be pretty. And it might be dangerous.” He wiped his brow. “Let me check it out. Then we’ll know what to do next”

Steve donned his own mask. Buckled his helmet. and went to the top of the stairs. He took a deep breath and pushed on the door.

It swung open easily, pulling against the duct tape. The first floor was pretty much intact…in the archeological sense. The picture window had blown out, and there was a snowdrift in the living room.

Steve swung the Geiger counter. The alpha count was already pretty low and the beta emitters didn’t look so bad, either. With he and Kevin suited up, it might be worth making a run for it.

He looked outside.

The apartment complex was blasted and scorched. Mercifully, it looked as though snow had covered most of the dead bodies…but spring was going to be nasty.

He walked outside, Geiger counter in his left hand, shotgun in his right. The radiation count looked to be the same. The snow drifts were nasty as hell; it looked as though they may have concentrated the radioactive particles.

He walked to a few blocks in either direction, but saw nothing moving. He looked at the clouds. They looked grey and roiled.

Another snowstorm looked to be brewing. He and the boy had food for several weeks yet, and maybe he could stretch it with some foraging. He had cut the cast off, but his leg was still weak. No way was he ready to walk out of here for some time yet.

Time to go back to ground.

At the top stairway, in what had been the small kitchen, he took off his helmet and dusted it off, then took off his poncho and shook it off, leaving it on the coat hook at the top of the stairs.

He went down into the basement and checked himself over. There was still some residual radiation, but he’d gotten most of it. He sighed. It was going to have to do.

Kevin was still sitting there, right where he’d left him. “how you doing, boy?” he said gruffly.”

Suddenly, the boy ripped off his mask and flung himself into his father’s arms. “Dad, I was scared. What if you didn’t come back?”

“I’m back, boy” said Steve. “And that’s why you gotta pay attention to everything I tell you. Because I’ve never lied to you, boy, and I’m not going to start now.” He held his son by his shoulders. “And the most important thing to me is, you have to stay alive. Got it?”

They were both crying.

“I want you to live, and I want you to grow up to have kids of your own.” Said Steve. “And I want to be there to see them, make no mistake.” He said. “But I for damn sure want you to grow up to have them, with or without me being there, OK?”

He looked at his son. “But right now, I’m cold. Soup?”

“Sounds good.”

Outside, the wind howled like damned souls.
-=-

March 4, 1984
Steve tried another door. He was working his way through the apartment complex, apartment by apartment. So far, he had found a fair amount of usable food, some dead bodies, and no one alive.

There were a few surprises – it looked as though the elderly couple, a few doors down, might have committed suicide. They were both in bed, and appeared to have peaceful expressions.

Steve had said a prayer for them. He found some good pain killers in the medicine cabinet – those might come in handy later, he figured.
-=-
Next door to them, it looked as though the two college students had also committed suicide. In their case, the bodies were sprawled on the floor, beer cans scattered about, and a scatter of multicolored pills across the carpet.

Steve wasn’t too sure about the unlabeled pills, but the bags of weed were quite welcome. That was one natural analgesic that would be useful in this ugly new world. Even better – he found a bagful of seeds.

He carried his loot back to the apartment. There was a fallen roof beam that extended into the hole that had been his front window. It was a bit awkward, but by walking up the beam, he could enter his apartment without making tracks in the snow.

It was obvious that somebody had been walking in the snow, entering these apartments – at least until the next snow, or until the snow melted – but it would take a good searcher to realize that somebody was living in his basement.

He went down into the kitchen, shaking off his outer garments, checking them with the Geiger counter, hanging up the poncho and the helmet, then entering the stairwell.

There he took off the fishtail boots, hanging them on hooks, and finally taking off the charcoal impregnated MOPP pants and over garment, his mask and gloves.

At the bottom of the stairs, Kevin waited. “Hi, Dad.” He smiled. “Find anything good?”

Steve smiled back “Ice Cream sandwiches in Mrs. Dooley’s Freezer.”

“Cool”

Steve smiled as he enjoyed his son’s enjoyment of the treat. Inwardly, he wondered how long it might be, if ever, he saw another ice cream sandwich.
-=-
March 8, 1984

The sky was clear and warm. It was one of those days you get in Western New York where it suddenly goes from 20F to 60F and all the snow starts melting like crazy. Steve looked around and marveled.

There had been a lot of talk about “nuclear winter” – the dust was going to cause the albedo of the planet to change, the climate to go cold, but this looked like pretty much a normal day in Buffalo – at least, weather-wise.

The quiet was unnerving. There was only the wind and the dripping of the melting snow. No cars or planes, no people, no TVs or radios. Not even any dogs or cats or birds.

Nothing.

The radiation count was dropping steadily. Steve was pretty sure Buffalo must have been hit with an air burst, probably a clean one. Maybe a Neutron weapon. But that was in keeping with what he knew of Soviet policy. That wanted to flatten Buffalo as a transportation hub, kill the population – but not damage the infrastructure too much. They might want to use it themselves someday, if they decided to occupy the place.

Dirty weapons were a product of the West. Area Denial – long term denial – was a feature of the Western War Planners, not the Warsaw Pact. Those Planners were a lot more pragmatic. “You cannot loot what you have destroyed” – Subotai Khan was reputed to have said it, and Marshal Zhukov was reported to have said it on the March across Germany.

It was nearing darkness, and Steve was out, looking for signs of life. He figured that people might be like him, hiding out, but if there were other survivors, they might not be as careful of light leaks.

He spent an hour, looking around, and headed back to the apartment. No luck. Either the initial blast, the radiation or the following snow and cold seemed to have doomed just about everyone in this area.

He had found a few bodies that looked as though they might have survived for days or weeks after the attack – but nobody alive. There seemed to be a few animals now – he’d seen a dog or two, even heard some crows…but no people.

He came back to the apartment, took off his gear and entered the basement. As he did, he realized something was wrong. Kevin had a small lamp and a hand crank generator/battery. He usually read while Steve was out foraging.

There was no light on.

As Steve pulled his mask and hood off, he could smell them.

The basement was rank already – but it was the different rankness, a different smell…and somehow, Steve could sense there were at least two of them.

What had happened to Kevin?

He turned, and was looking into the barrel of a 12 gauge.

“Be real careful, son, and unsling that shotgun real easy.” Said the man.

“Sure,” said Steve.

“Me and Don, here” said the man, “we saw you sneakin’ round the complex, breaking into places, and stealing stuff.” He chuckled. “Pretty smart.” His whiskery face curled into a grin.” We just figured to come over and see if you wanted to share.”

“Don’t look like you’re much into sharing, not with a scattergun in my face.” Said Steve.

“Hey, we just figured you might be not so reasonable.” Said the man. “We already had to kill a few folks that didn’t want to share.”

“What’s one more dead guy?” put in the other guy.

“Shaddup, Don.” Said the first one.

“Looks like you got some good loot, here, fellow.” He said, turning his attention back to Steve. “Good military grade protective suits, masks, filter units – you must have raided a surplus store or something.” He grinned mirthlessly. “We’ll take it all.”

It was at that point that the fellow made his mistake.

Never rush to battle – let your enemies give themselves to you.” – his sensei had repeated that so many times to him. In the dim light of the basement, the men had seen his shotgun – they had not looked at his load bearing equipment harness (LBE).

For Steve, time slowed down.

Now, the bearded man leaned forward and the muzzle of his shotgun was over Steve’s left shoulder. Steve leaned forward and reached up with his right hand, releasing the Sykes-Fairbairn Fighting knife into it. With his left hand, he reached up and grabbed the fore end slide of the shotgun almost ripping it out of the man’s hands. He held onto it, lifting up on his tip toes to maintain his grip on the weapon.

In the meantime, the double-edged fighting knife was rammed into the man’s upper belly, just under the sternum. Steve had lifted him up off his feet with his left hand, now he let him back down as he held the blade steady, letting it rip upward through his lungs and heart. He gasped in shock and exhaled, but the hole in his lungs was too large for him to even scream now. Steve could smell his breath – stale food, halitosis, beer and wine – It is odd, the thoughts that flit across your mind in a fight to the death – Steve realized the man probably had bad dental hygiene before the war.

Don was now behind his friend, screaming, but he held his own weapon, as well as Steve’s, and his friend was between him and Steve. One second, they were in control, and suddenly, it was all going out of control.

As he struggled to comprehend the suddenly changed situation, Steve reversed the shotgun he had captured, shoved it between the man’s eyes, and blew his brains all over the garage door.

Suddenly, it was over. Steve stood in the blood splattered basement, breathing heavily. He was inhaling great whooping draughts of air, trying not to hyperventilate.

It took him two tries to get the words out. “Kevin?” he whispered. “Kevin? Are you OK?”

There was a rustling, and his son crawled out from under the car. “Dad.” He cried. “Dad, I was so scared.”

Steve was relieved to see that his son had the other shotgun. “you OK?”

“Yeah.” He said. “I heard them upstairs, but I didn’t hear you, so I shut off the light and took the gun and hid under the car.”

“You done good, boy.” Said his father, ruffling his hair. “You done good.”
-=-

Last edited:

stalkere

Banned
March 9
Steve and Kevin had spent a fitful night, worried that friends of the two looters might come looking for them.

Steve had gone outside at first light, staying to the shadows. It was warm, unseasonably warm, and the snow was melting. He was checking to see if the snowdrifts had either melted enough that he could drive out yet – or if he could somehow find a working vehicle that he could use to get out.

The Allenhurst Apartment had been what many referred to jokingly, as a “student ghetto”. About a mile from the North Campus of the University of Buffalo, it had been a favorite of married students and their families.

Steve sardonically marveled at the fact that, with so many college students, so few had so survived. But “Surviving a Global Thermonuclear War” was not something that they taught in college…surviving a global thermonuclear war was something he had learned in the military, before he had come to college.

Suddenly, he heard “psst..psst.” he looked over. From a wrecked door, he saw a man waving to him, weakly. He moved over to him, weapon ready.

A man was laying in the rubble, clad in a the remains of Tyvek protective suit, gesturing weakily. “Help me…please.”

Steve watched for a trap, but he saw no signs. He moved in warily. The man’s leg was trapped by a fallen beam. He could see where the fellow had tried to move the beam, but he was in the wrong angle to get a good purchase on it.

Steve looked around. He saw a broken pipe, and slipped it under the beam, shifting a cinderblock to make a fulcrum. The heavy steel shifted – lifted a bit – the man pulled his leg free.

“Fantastic!” He said. “Allah be praised! I was afraid I would starve to death there.” He painfully stood and tried to bow. “many thanks to you, my unknown friend. My name is Pehruz Rahman, at your service.”

Steve laughed. “Pleased to be of service, Pehruz.” He said, extending his hand. “Uh, I guess survivors need to need to stand together, if we can. Do you need any other help?”

The man studied Steve. The protective suits made it hard to see each other, but in themselves, they also told a message. But – in themselves – did they tell the message about the person wearing them?

Pehruz saw a man in the olive drab military Mission Orientated Protective posture Suit, with a military M-17 gas Mask and hood, and a steel helmet and cover.

Steve saw a man in the Tyvek Protective suit and Mask of a scientist or a technician – probably one of the people from the nearby University of Buffalo.

Pehruz spoke – “Sergeant - Are you from a military patrol? Do you have a doctor?”

Steve frowned, realizing that the other man could not see it beyond the mask, and shook his mask, and shook his head. “No, man, sorry. I’m on my own right now, trying to link back up with my guys. I’m a medic, but I’ve only got limited supplies. You need help, or you have people that need help?” Then he shook his head again. “How did you know I’m a Sergeant?”

Pehruz pointed at his helmet – “It is on your helmet – SSgt Hunter – that is Staff Sergeant, no?”

Steve laughed. “That is Staff Sergeant, yes. My apologies, friend. It has been a long and tiring day.”

stalkere

Banned
-=-
Pehruz straightened up and staggered. Steve stepped closer and put out his arm. “You OK?” he said. “How long were you trapped like that, man?”

Pehruz looked at the overcast sky. “Since mid day yesterday, I think.”

“Damn, man.” Whistled Steve. “You must be hungry and thirsty. That mask doesn’t have a drinking tube.”

“No” said Pehruz. “It is what I used at the Rad Lab at the University. When we needed to eat or drink, we simply stepped out of the laboratory.”

Steve sighed. “Dude.” Thinking of the University made him think of better days. Last month seemed like an eternity ago. He should be cramming for his midterms right now, now scrounging for food in the ruins.

Pehruz grabbed a broken piece of wood and used it like a cane. “I have an abcess on my leg.” He said. “It makes it difficult to walk.”

Steve looked at him, made a decision. “Pehruz, come back to my place. I have some sulfa, some peroxide. I’m no doc, but I might be able to clean it out. You don’t want to mess with an infection, not now.”

Pehruz shrugged and held up the sack. “I would like to, my friend…but I need to take this back. My family…my wife, my children. I have only the one suit and mask, and I am sure they are both worried and hungry.”

Steve put out his hand. “Let me help you.” He said. “I could use another adult survivor to help out. Together, we have a better chance of making it – for both our families.”

Pehruz looked back at him. “Imsh’ Allah” The laboratory mask had a full face mask and Steve could see him smiling.

Steve grinned back, although he knew he Pehruz could only see his eyes. They gripped hands. “Imsh ‘Allah” agreed Steve.
-=-
Pehruz had an apartment a few blocks north of Steve. Like Steve, the Rahman family had fortified the basement and hid from the blast wave. Pehruz and his wife were Iranians – graduate students at the University of Buffalo. Pehruz had been working on a PhD in Physics, while Maryam had been working on a Master’s in Computer Science. Her education had been delayed a bit by the birth of two children, Ali and Fairi.

Their past was not all that strange – Pehruz’s father had invested heavily in the US, so when the Shah fell, they still had money. While they had less then before, the Rahmans were not ostentatious anyway, so they had hardly been discommoded by the change in governments.

When things had started looking really ugly, Pehruz had laid in stocks of canned food and bottled water. Getting his hands on protective gear for Maryam and the children had stymied him.

When they got back to the basement, Steve smiled at the familiar shedding of the outer garments and racking them.

It was silent and dim in the basement, but when Pehruz took off his mask and turned around, his wife jumped from the shadows and hugged him. The children ran up and joined her. He looked embarrassed as his family expressed their happiness at his return, but Steve smiled.

As he sat in the basement with the Rahman family, he began to think about the future.

He looked at Pehruz. “Man, do you have a gun?”

Pehruz looked back quizzically. “No, I do not have one.”

“Let me put it this way, do you know how to use one?”

“I learned to use one during my military training in college, in Iran” said Pehruz, “ but it has been years.”

Steve reached into his coat and pulled out the .38 revolver he’d taken off Don the night before. “Dude, can you handle one of these?”

Pehruz took it handling it gingerly. “Well, uh…yes.”

“Good.” Said Steve. “Better to have one and not need it, than to need and not have.” He reached into another pocket and pulled out a box of shells. “Here. Might need reloads, too.”
-=-

stalkere

Banned
-=-
Steve looked at Pehruz’s leg. It was grey and red and swollen. Warm to the touch, it had obviously abcessed deeply in the muscle tissue. “Yuck” he said. “OK, gut check time.” He looked Pehruz and Maryam. “Your place is in pretty good shape, actually better than mine.” He shook his head. “You need to get that lanced and packed most ASAPly, dude.”

“Here’s my suggestion.” Said Steve. “I go back to my place, get Kevin, we load up with food and medical supplies, and come back here.”

Maryam looked at her husband. “Would it help if I go with you?” she asked. “I can fit in his suit. And I can help carry supplies back.”

Steve was a bit shocked. In his experience, Muslim women didn’t do thing like this. On the other hand, it made a lot of practical sense. “Sure” he said. “That should work good.”

Pehruz pursed his lips, but then smiled and said “Imsh’Allah.”
-=-
They donned the gear and headed across the grounds of the wrecked apartment complex. Although it was mid day, the sky had turned dark, and the temperature had dropped below freezing again. Large flakes were falling as they trudged toward Steve’s place.

Kevin was waiting in the darkness, behind the car, with the shotgun ready. His smile was wide when he saw his father. He was surprised to see somebody with him.

“Yo, Little Man, time to dress out and go for a walk. You said you were getting bored of sitting in here.” Said Steve.

“Sure thing, said Kevin excitedly. “I am getting so tired of this place.”

“Well, it’s nothing but another basement, but at least there’s other kids to talk to, so let’s dress out, and get packed.” Said Steve.

Steve had three packframes, and he loaded them all with as much as they dared carry. He apologized to Maryam.

“sorry, I swear, I’m half packrat – I always like to keep stuff handy, just in case I need it.”

Maryam was a bit dazed – not just by the canned goods – but by the protective clothing, and medical supplies, not to mention the weapons. “You had warning that this war was coming?” she asked.

“No,” he answered truthfully. “Just a nagging worry. People thought I was crazy to worry.”

She hugged him. “You are a good man.” She said. “I think you were right to worry. And now we will live because you were smart, not crazy.”

Steve smiled.

He handed her a shotgun. She looked at it with unease. “It’s an extra.” He said. “I took it off a fellow who won’t be needing it any more. Mossberg Pump – nice and easy to use.”

“I’ve never fired a gun.” She said.

“I have” piped Kevin.

‘Shush, squirt.” Said Steve. “With the world as it is now, you probably need to learn, if only to protect yourself and your family.” Said Steve. “There’s been a lot of killing – too much – but it isn’t done.” He said.

They made their way out of the apartment and back across the complex. The snow had gotten worse, and visibility had dropped to a matter of feet. Steve actually welcomed that. He was still worried about possible friends of Don and James tracking them down. A good snowfall to cover their tracks would help a lot.
-=-
Back at the Rahman’s, Steve had Pehruz stretch out on the floor, on a plastic tarp. He had prepared a 50cc Toomey syringe of Listerine and set it on a towel next to Pehruz’s leg. Now he had Maryam hold the upper leg securely while Kevin and Ali held his foot.

He had tried to get Pehruz to drink some rum – for medicinal purposes – but he had refused. The wind was howling as the storm gathered in intensity, but Pehruz out screamed the storm as Steve lanced the abcess with a sterile scapel and forced out the yellow gelatinous pus. When he had gotten as much out as he could, Steve injected the abcess with the Listerine antiseptic solution to clean it out.

Pehruz was thrashing and sweating by the end of it.

He looked at Steve. “My friend.” He said simply. “thank you for doing that.”

“Dude.” Said Steve. “That was ugly. If we’d let it go, you might have lost the leg, maybe died.”

“I know” sighed Pehruz. “Perhaps the Prophet will not mind too terribly, if perhaps, just this once, I break the rule about strong drink?”

“It is not strong drink for you.” Said steve, handing him the bottle. “It is medicine. It dulls the pain.”

“Good Point” said Pehruz.

“And it is possibly helps against radiation exposure.” Added Steve.

“good Point.” Said Pehruz, taking another long swallow.

stalkere

Banned
-=-
The storm raged for another day, and the temperature dropped hard.

Steve and Maryam hung several large tarpaulins around the living area, creating, essentially, a yurt. Even so, they huddled together in the chill, glad for the extra body warmth.

Steve had brought over several more MOPP sets – so the family was all in chemical protective gear. They only had paint masks and protective goggles for Maryam and the children – but they would cross that bridge when they came to it.

“I am hoping that this storm will cleanse the air of the fallout particles.” Said Pehruz.

“Good possibility of that” agreed Steve.

“But that simply puts the radiation on the ground” said Maryam.

“True” agreed Pehruz, but it will also tend to gather in drifts and pools. As long as the radiation counters hold out, they will be easier to avoid.”

“Point” agreed Steve, “and, policy for the Soviets has been to go with airbursts – at least that’s what I was getting from my friends in Intell before the War. The whole Sixties thing with Carbon-14 and Cobalt for long term fallout products – in their estimations – was a scare tactic, not a policy.”

He waved at the ceiling above them. “I didn’t do a LOT of recon. Only up to the third floor in one house, and that was pretty rickety. And it’s hard to see much with binoculars in this mask. But everything I saw was consistant with what I expected – airburst – 1000 meters, 1 megaton, probably over the Peace Bridge Area.”

“The Peace Bridge.” Snorted Pehruz. “heh”

“Knowing the Russian love of Irony, they probably did that on purpose.” Agreed Steve. “But that would take out the Conrail marshalling yards, the Bethlehem Steel Mills, the Woodlawn Engine Plant, Tonawanda Powertrain, the Erie Canal terminus and probably do a good bit of damage to the Welland Canal.”

“Looking north” continued Steve, “I couldn’t see much, but I expect they put another one over Niagara Falls, to take out the Robert Moses Power Complex and the Air Base.”

Maryam had a sarcastic laugh. “A tripped breaker put out the lights all the way from Detroit to Boston to Washington DC in 1967. I wonder how many lights went out when the bomb went off?” her laugh had an edge of hysteria to it.

Steve passed her the bottle of bourbon. They had decided to ignore the prohibition against strong drink for Pehruz’s sake…and Steve was not a Muslim anyway. Now the bottle was passed among the adults as they tried to stave off hysteria.

Steve listened to the wind howl. This would have been a bad storm on a normal day – but it sounded as if the wreckage above him was shifting and twisting in the powerful storm. The cold was seeping into the shelter, and he shivered. Had they survived everything else to die in this storm?

Pehruz’s face was flushed. He was running a fever again, and it looked as if the wound was suppurating. Steve flushed it again, cleaned it, and packed it.

stalkere

Banned
They passed the night and the following day in a state of semi hibernation as the wind howled and the cold seeped through.

Steve was very glad that had linked up with the Rahman family, as he began to doubt that the two of them might have survived. They huddled together in silence, not speaking for hours at time in their torpor, as the wind howled. Occasionally, there would be a crash from above, as the wreckage shifted above them, and dust, and sometimes ice crystals floated down on them.

Eventually, the wind noise died, and the building stopped creaking. The pressure in his bladder and bowels was excruciating, and so he went to the little side room, where they had stacked buckets and toilet paper.

The cold was biting on his exposed skin, and he could see the ice forming on the surface of the bucket as he pulled his clothing back up. He hurried back to the huddle of bodies.

“It is @#$ Cold!” he exclaimed.
The wind came back up a little while later.
-=-
Pehruz’s fever had broken, and his color was returning. They were all living on soup broth and crackers, and huddling together in the awful cold. Steve had taken to carefully setting up the Sterno stove under the tarp and heating the cans of soup, catching as much precious heat as possible without catching anything on fire.

They all drank from the same cup and forgot the niceties in the bitter drive for survival.

Steve’s watch was a Seiko, and it was wound by the movement of the wearer’s arm…but Steve realized he must have been so motionless for so long that the watch had stopped. He had no idea how long they had been trapped in that basement shelter, except that there were about two dozen empty cans of soup.

Steve poked his nose out of the tarps. He inhaled deeply and realized that he did not have the stinging sensation in his nasal passages that told him that it was below zero. He stood, weakly, and staggered to the garage door. He peeled back the tarps and put his ear to the door itself.

It was eerily quiet. Of course, that might be because of snow drifted against the door. He got dressed and headed up to the stairway. He stopped as he got halfway up the stairs. They all could hear it – movement upstairs.

Pehruz, Kevin and Maryam were stirring now, and had their shotguns out.

He had his pistol in his right hand, and his counter in his left hand. His thumb flicked the audible tone to silence. The needle stayed in the low range. He was at the top of the stairs, next to the door.

The sound resolved itself to snuffling – a dog. There was a whining and scratching at the door.

Ari and Fairi made squealing noises, quickly cut off by their parents. The adults – and Kevin – understood what the younger children did not. A hungry dog – even a formerly docile pet – could be quite dangerous now.

Steve was listening for another sound – of a person, or persons, using the dog to find someone’s shelter.

The dog continued to scratch and whine for a few minutes. After a few minutes, it seemed to settle down, apparently content to wait at the door.

Steve moved back down the stairs and whispered to the group. “OK, did you guys have a dog?”

“No, we did not.” Said Pehruz, frowning.

Steve slapped his forehead. “I’m sorry. I forgot – you’re Shia – a good Muslim does not allow a dog to enter the house, right?”

“Yes.” Said Maryam. “The children wanted a dog, like their friends, but…”

“I understand,” said Steve.

“I wanted a dog, too.” Said Kevin solemnly to the other children.

“OK, big thing I’m worried about here is, if this dog is just looking for somebody to feed it, that’s one thing.” He looked at the others. “Problem is, the dog might be working for somebody, searching out shelters for somebody that’s raiding other shelters.”

“That is…a horrible way to think.” Said Maryam, her eyes wide.

Pehruz looked at Steve with narrowed eyes. “I think, my friend, that you are a cautious man…and we now live in a dangerous world.” He shook his head. “Caution is a good thing.”

“OK” said Steve. “Pehruz, I want you to load up you shotgun with slugs, and stay behind me and to the right. I’m going to stay along side the hinges, to the left. If the dog charges through – or anything else, blow it away.”

“got it.” Said Pehruz, grimly smiling.

They moved to the top of the stairs, and Steve opened the door, pushing against the door. The dog whimpered, but did not move.

When Steve got into the kitchen, he found that snow had drifted through broken windows. The dog had once been a large German Shepherd. Probably someone’s well-cared for pet before the attack, it was now a starved, emaciated mass of open sores and patchy fur. Its eyes were almost totally clouded over.

Pehruz joined Steve in the kitchen. “In the name of Allah.” He whispered. “The poor animal must have been exposed to radiation.”

“Not as if it could understand contamination avoidance protocols.” Grunted Steve. “Only one thing to do.” He unsnapped his Kabar knife and cut the dog’s throat.

He carried the body to outside and left it in a snowdrift. Idly, he wondered how many bodies would be exposed when the snowdrifts finally melted.

If they melted.

“I wonder that, too” said Pehruz.

“What?” said Steve.

“Nuclear Winter.” Said Pehruz. “The winters are bad enough here, as it is.” He shook his head. “What if this is the Nuclear winter that Dr Sagan spoke of, the Fimbulwinter of Norse Legend.”

Steve smiled. “Fimbulwinter is a pagan myth, my Muslim friend.”

Pehruz smiled back.” I might be a Muslim, but I am also a scientist. If that is not snowdrifts taller than a tall man and winds that blow from every quarter, I do not know what it is.”

GOOD JOB! I was really missing the story. Good Work.

I wonder who else is left. Probably close to no one.

Are the families going to leave, I have a feeling their food isn't going to last much longer...

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Great stuff, Stalkere. :cool:

Steve & Co. won't be able to stay where they are for too much longer surely?
Feral animals will be the least of their worries once their supplies diminish, or a thaw sets in (whichever comes first).

Any journey is presumably going to require substantial supplies.
Which makes it a greater shame that the Dog had to go. Any extra haulage capacity could prove vital.
(Thinking Dog Travois, although it would leave a distinctive trail, so maybe not)

Perhaps it's time for Steve to venture further afield, now he has somewhere 'safe' to stash Kevin for a time?

Just thinking aloud.

Falkenburg

stalkere

Banned
Steve looked at the thermometer on the side of the building. “It’s not all that bad. 25 below zero. Cold, but not all that much worse than a usual Buffalo winter.”

Maryam joined them on the entryway. “Are you kidding?” she exclaimed. “This is ridiculously cold.” She exclaimed.

Steve laughed, but it was a laugh with no humor. “If we had heat, it would be cold, but not so bad. Without electricity, without fuel oil, without snowplows and snow blowers and tractors, this is a disaster to rival the bombs.” He waved his arm at the city. “I would not be surprised if more people have died in the cold, than died in the initial attack.”

Steve glanced at the snowclouds. “See how dark it is to the west?” he said. “Those dark lines under the clouds men heavy snow squalls under those clouds and they are moving fast. It should be too cold to snow, but it looks like we’re in for another blast.”

Pehruz nodded. “Time to head back down again, in other words.”

“You got that right.” Steve nodded.

This storm lasted another two days. Steve had wound his watch – he just didn’t know the correct time. He had a fetish for knowing the correct time, nd it bugged him.

Pehruz shared his mania for the correct time. He had owned an expensive quartz digital watch. That watch was now an expensive paperweight, fused into uselessness by the EMP of the attack.

They spent the time alternately sleeping, talking, and playing cards and board games. Kevin had lugged his small travel RISK™ board with him – and taught it to the others – even Pehruz and Maryam had joined in the battle game, out of boredom.

-=-
Finally, this storm also died out. Steve and Pehruz donned their gear, shouldered their weapons and packs, and headed out. It had warmed – warmed! – to Zero – and the sun was out.

Steve stopped, checked the radiation level, and clipped his sun glass lenses over his gas mask lenses. Pehruz looked at him ruefully, holding his hand up to shade his eyes.

“I envy you, my friend.” He laughed. “The US military thinks of everything, I would have never though of sunglass inserts for a gas mask, but it makes very good sense.” He squinted against the glare.

‘Well, my mask was designed for soldiers fighting in combat. Sun glare could be a problem.”

“My mask was designed for use in a laboratory, and glare was not considered a problem there.” Said Pehruz.

“hmm.” Mused Steve. “Actually, we don’t need a tight fit on the masks, since we aren’t protecting against gas, just particulate matter…and little enough of that, either, from the looks of my radiation meter.” He reached into his equipment vest. Why don’t you put on my sunglasses?” he handed Pehruz his aircrew-issue wireframe glasses. “They shouldn’t disturb the seal too much, so even if we get in a hot zone, you shouldn’t have too much trouble.”

Pehruz glanced upward as he put on the glasses. “Thanks. The glare was painful.” He shook his head. ”Perhaps it is my imagination, but I have to wonder how much ultraviolet is in this light? – Could the attack damage the ozone layer?”

“Dunno.” Said Steve. “As if we don’t already have enough to worry about.”
=-=
Steve and Pehruz were taking field notes as they moved through the area. They checked the homes and garages. There were no signs of life. As Steve had predicted, those not killed in the initial attack had died of the cold – although there were signs that some might have evacuated. They found a toboggan in one garage, and Steve rigged a harness, so they could drag it.

They foraged for food and supplies, gathering as much as they could. At least the cold had done that much – anything in a refrigerator or freezer was probably still good, so they could eat that, and stay healthy as possible, for as long as possible.

“We need to stock up on vitamins and supplement, Pehruz.” Said Steve. “Probably be a long time, if ever, before we see them again, and, we need all the edge we can get.”

‘True.” Said Pehruz. ”You are a good man, my friend. I praise Allah for the day he brought us together. I do not think I would have survived without your help.”

“Dude,” said Steve. “We’re a team. Nobody walks through life alone.”
-=-
With the warmer weather, they started to move around more. The children wanted to go outside, but, even with the respirator masks, the adults felt queasy about letting them outside.

Steve found a ’75 Ford Bronco in the Garage of one of the houses they checked. The keys were hanging on a hook in the kitchen. The mechanical ignition was unharmed by the EMP, so it started right up.

The Bronco was equipped with two 25 gallon endurance tanks, in addition to it’s regular tank, so Steve set about draining fuel from other vehicles to fill it.

“We can’t stay here indefinitely.” He said to the Rahamans. “Most of the fallout seems to be out of the atmosphere, so we can think about moving.”

“A lot of the worst emitters should have decayed by now.’ Said Pehruz. “The long-term dangers Strontium 90 or Cesium-137- for example, should be fairly rare.”

“Why is that?” asked Kevin

“Those were in the bombs themselves.” Said Steve. “A lot of the fallout particles come from material sucked up by the bomb and radiated by the blast.”

‘They are heavily radiated, but they also lose their radiation quickly.”

“The big problem with the Strontium or Cesium is that they chemically mimic calcium and – phosphorous? – help me out here, Pehruz?” asked Steve

“I believe you are right.” Said Pehruz. “You body will absorb this poison into your bones, where it will radiate your bone marrow, and give you cancer.”

“Yuck.” Said Ali.

“Yuck is right.” Agreed Steve. “One of the reasons we want you to take those nasty iodinge pills and vitamin pills every morning, to help keep your bodies from absorbing any of that stuff you come in contact with.
-=-
The weather had turned warm again – in the twenties – nd then the temperature had dropped into the below zero range again.

Steve estimated that it had been almost a month since the attack.

“OK, guys, here’s my thoughts.” He said. “It’s been a month. Trouble is, we are in a bad spot.” He shook his head.

‘The snow probably cleared the fallout out fast here. We probably have a fairly definite plume in this area. Trouble is, it’s contaminated as HELL here.’ He looked at Maryam and Pehruz. “I wanted to wait for snowmelt to try moving out. Trouble is, we wait for snow melt, the blocking effect of all this snow is going to be gone.”

“Ouch.” Said Pehruz. “I…see”

Maryam thought about it a second and shook her head in agreement. “I see what you mean.”

“Trouble is, trying to get that Bronco out in these snow drifts is going to be problematical, too.” He said. “I hope, and recall I said HOPE, that when we get bout ten of fifteen miles north of here, the radiation levels might drop considerably.” He waved his hand. “I get a lot of static on the radio, but I think – think! – that I am getting something that sound like speech on where WUSJ – the radio station in Lockport – should be – and that’s twenty miles north.

“If we can get out to the Millersport Highway,” Steve said, “the winds usually keep a lot of that clear. We can move north and maybe – maybe – go up to where my parents live. Even if they didn’t make it, if it’s not contaminated – or even reasonably less contaminated than this place – we can make a go of it.”

“At least it might make a good starting place for planning our next move.” Said Maryam.

stalkere

Banned
They loaded the Bronco with every bit of fuel it could take, all the canned goods, and vitamin supplements, and medicines. The snow had packed hard in the cold, and the sun was bright and merciless.

The wide Commando balloon tires rode over the hard packed drifts as if it were pavement. Steve had worried that the Bronco would bog down in the snow, but he kept it moving. There were a few soft spots, but with enough speed, he bulled through them.

Pehruz laughed. Steve looked over at him. “What’s funny?”

Pehruz looked back. “this reminds me of driving in the Dasht-e Kavir – the Great Salt Desert north west part of Iran. Much colder here, though.”

Steve laughed over the sound of the engine– it WAS similar to driving in desert sand. “Never drove in Iran, but I think I’ve heard of the place you’re talking about. This is kind of like the Mojave, but you’re right, much colder.” He slewed the Bronco around a felled tree.

The children squealed as they enjoyed the wild ride. Steve glanced in the rear view mirror. Maryam looked to be enjoying the ride considerably less well.

Steve looked at his radiation meter, duct taped to the dashboard. It was in the high safe to low dangerous zone, but it seemed to be wiggling lower and lower, spending more time in the safe band.

He was on the Millersport highway, avoiding abandoned vehicles in the snowdrifts as he roared down the road. Occasionally, he saw flickers of movement, but he was unwilling to stop to check them. Maybe later – it might be worth it to come up here and forage, look for supplies or survivors.

Not now.

The road smoothed out as he got south of Amherst. He looked around at the snow drifts.

“I’ll be dipped.” He said. “I think they might have plowed this, guys.”

“Plowed?” said Pehruz, his eyes bright.

“That sounds like a level of civilization I was NOT expecting this close to the blast area” said Steve.

At the bridge over the Erie Canal, there was proof positive.

A road block.

“Hoo-ooo-llll-eee Sh-iii---tttt.” Whistled Steve. “Guys, I dunno, but I think we’re safe, or at least one HELL of a lot safer than we were.”

He stopped the Bronco on the Erie County side, and stepped out. A couple of figures in MOPP Gear, but with blue helmet covers instead of camouflage, stepped out of a prefab shack at the far end. One walked forward while the other stayed at the concrete berm, rifle propped on his hip barrel skyward.

The fellow walking toward Steve pulled off his mask. “Particulate Level is safe here today, Sarge.” He said, “Cold as hell, but safe,” he coughed, breath coming out in big clouds. “Foraging mission?”

Steve saw the NCSD printed on the helmet cover, and the corporal’s stripes on the man’s vest. He figured the man for a Niagara County Sheriff’s Deputy. The Deputy probably figured him for a military person sent out on a foraging mission. He decided to try bluffing.

“Yep, Corp.” he said. “Foraging and a little recon up toward Amherst.” He said. “got some good stuff – food and medicine – and some survivors – both of them doctors.”

Not as if it was a real lie…and he didn’t say doctor of what…

The Corporal grunted. “Good. Let me check you over and clear you in. We can use some refugees that know something useful. At least they aren’t more damn lawyers.”