WI Weimar Republic Survives

Taking a PoD in the early 1930's (say Hindenburg doesn't run for re-election, or just doesn't appoint Hitler, something like that) -- what happens? Say whoever leads the government gets Germany out of the Depression, returning the Republic to stability by 1940.

How does European politics develop? Is there still a WWII -- and is the war in Asia butterflied? For that matter, how does no (or a different) WWII change the global economy? How is world culture affected by the absence of the horrors of the Nazi regime? What are the other international implications? And what else am I not thinking of?

There are some TL's in this section - Weimar World and the Gustav Stresseman survives TL are the first ones that come to mind for me - that deal with exactly this question. In general, Germany would probably be better off. Some of the Governments would still be conservative, particularly in the 1930s, but they would not be as bizarre as Nazi Germany.

There are some TL's in this section - Weimar World and the Gustav Stresseman survives TL are the first ones that come to mind for me - that deal with exactly this question. In general, Germany would probably be better off. Some of the Governments would still be conservative, particularly in the 1930s, but they would not be as bizarre as Nazi Germany.

Not being as bizarre as Nazi Germany isn't saying much!

Still wondering about international effects -- how would Mussolini's Italy fare? What about the Spanish Civil War? Would fascism in Europe be significantly weaker?

There are some TL's in this section - Weimar World and the Gustav Stresseman survives TL are the first ones that come to mind for me - that deal with exactly this question.

Was kicking myself for forgetting these, when I went back and remembered they had PoDs much earlier -- though I suppose their close...

Last edited:
Republican forces probably fare better in Spain, Mussolini most assuredly doesn't gamble in Greece or Egypt meaning he probably becomes this timeline's Franco, holding on until death and then Italy strips itself of fascism, and WWII doesn't happen. Eastern Europe definitely fares better without first Germany's decimating occupation followed by the communist occupation. The US remains isolationist, save for a war with Japan (and that will happen regardless). The interesting question is what happens to the Soviet Union. Without Germany's devastating invasion, it may remain a stronger entity than in our timeline. Does the atom bomb arise? Probably later, and not via the US. More than likely either in the UK or Germany. As for Israel, the state likely doesn't arise in Palestine, though it may still appear in Uganda. Just some thoughts.

I believe that no matter what regime rules Germany in those immediate post WW1 decades ( except some liberal democracy filled with Neville Chamberlain clones ) will start some war aiming at least of washing the stigma of defeat off itself.
Any nation that has capacity of being a great/major power and getting such humiliating terms of peace as was the case with Versailles is prone to start at least some medium size war. No state is immune on the spirit of revanchism.

What is this cliché then no matter what happend Germany start WWII even without being taken over ny Nazis?

What is this cliché then no matter what happend Germany start WWII even without being taken over ny Nazis?

At least in my mind is not a cliche. As I stated, powerful nation who thinks it deserves a place in the sun for itself loses the war and gets, in their view, slapped down with heavy war reparations and punishments. So it is very natural and realistic to seek retaliation.

yannik

Banned
Boundary negotiations with Poland(Silesia, western Posen,coordinator ), Lithuania (Memel), Czechoslovakia(Bohemia and Moravia ) and Danzig's reintegration by some military means is not necessarily an act of warfare;D

I could still see the Republicans losing in Spain. The Nationalists don't have the benefit of German assistance but as a result, the Republicans might not have the benefit of Russian assistance.

If by chance there is Communist support for Republican Spain then France may support the Nationalists. France wouldn't be surrounded by Fascist nations and may feel more threatened by a communist nation to the south.

This does not mean that Spain would end up Fascist though or Franco would be in power. Possibly CEDA could have taken over and Spain would be led by José María Gil-Robles y Quiñones. I'm not sure how that would be different from Franco's Spain though.