What if operation Sealion was a success?

Okay now what if operation sealion went off without a hitch.

Englands airforce, the RAF, is taken out within at least three weeks.

The German army quickly sweeps into England and leads a mighty war

that...................

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm kidding. I just want to see how many people come to complain about yeat another sealion thread.

I must admit, I fell for it. While reading the second sentance I was already pre-planning my rant-like reply... :eek:

But you've made me realize that there in fact so many "successful Sealion" what-ifs that the author of another one is going to be machine-gunned on the spot.

Superdude said:
How about a thread about a plausible plan to invade Great Britain?
Great Britain loses WW1, Scotland formed as a separate country. Great Depression smashes German and Scottish governments, rise of fascism. Edinburgh-Rome-Berlin Axis signed, Great Britain (rump UK keeps the name) invaded from the North.

Imajin said:
Great Britain loses WW1, Scotland formed as a separate country. Great Depression smashes German and Scottish governments, rise of fascism. Edinburgh-Rome-Berlin Axis signed, Great Britain (rump UK keeps the name) invaded from the North.

OMG!! Did my fake thread start a discussion! This is awsome!

Someone develops a giant pump of infinite power that drains the Channel to such an extent that people can wade across.

Superdude

Banned
How about Hitler, in a flash of sanity, decides that war with England is inevitable? This would involve a POD that changes Hitler so that he hates the British , but that is certainly very easy to do.

Superdude said:
How about Hitler, in a flash of sanity, decides that war with England is inevitable? This would involve a POD that changes Hitler so that he hates the British , but that is certainly very easy to do.
Have you ever read the Greenhill book Third Reich Victorious? There's a good scenario in there.

Someone develops a giant pump of infinite power that drains the Channel to such an extent that people can wade across.
Plan 1. Germany builds giant dams on either side of the Channel and drains the water.

OR

Plan 2. Germany builds giant pontoons and places them on the Channel.

Plan 3. German engineers cut a part of the Arctic glacier and maneuver it using U-boats to the Channel. Pontoons are placed between France and the glacier and England and the glacier.

Plan 4. Germany mass produces diving gear.

Soyuz said:
Plan 1. Germany builds giant dams on either side of the Channel and drains the water.

OR

Plan 2. Germany builds giant pontoons and places them on the Channel.

Plan 3. German engineers cut a part of the Arctic glacier and maneuver it using U-boats to the Channel. Pontoons are placed between France and the glacier and England and the glacier.

Plan 4. Germany pass produces diving gear.
What About:

Germany develops large Transport Zepplins, which they put Kittens with Sniper Rifles on. The Kittens paradrop from the Zepplins into London, and they kill Churchill and take the Tower of London. Not only that, but the IHOP pancake-head-warriors decide to get in on the invasion as well, using non-breakfast foods to destroy the RN.

Or how about Germany puts into practice unlimited submarine warfare from September 1939. This'll mean that Germany's U-Boat construction is given priority in the mid-1930s over the surface fleet. As a result, the U-Boats are at least double in number than the OTL, & more like the 1943 models rather than the somewhat limited 1939 models.

After the Fall of France, the UK is starved into submission by the U-Boat fleet.

Sealion is thus successful only because the UK surrenders around November 1940 or there abouts. Sealion, though, isn't necessarily an invasion, but merely an occupation operation, which lasts a few years until the German forces are needed in the USSR, & only after the UK has some treaty status with Germany akin to Vichy France.

Superdude

Banned
Of course, any number of German troops at all in a starving wasteland like what your saying there would mean a successful invasion. So, for the sake of a successful invasion of England, while including the extra submarines factor, Germany paradrops a small number of elite units, that spread havoc throughout the countryside. Most of the population thinks this is an invasion, and already starving they mob Parliament, calling for an end to the war. Bolstered by this, Hitler decides to go ahead with Sealion. While it suffers extreme casualties, several German forces manage to land and survive. Hearing of this, and with near riots erupting in London, the British government sues for peace, not knowing that German troops had no chance at all of holding their positions with no supplies.

Superdude said:
Of course, any number of German troops at all in a starving wasteland like what your saying there would mean a successful invasion. So, for the sake of a successful invasion of England, while including the extra submarines factor, Germany paradrops a small number of elite units, that spread havoc throughout the countryside. Most of the population thinks this is an invasion, and already starving they mob Parliament, calling for an end to the war. Bolstered by this, Hitler decides to go ahead with Sealion. While it suffers extreme casualties, several German forces manage to land and survive. Hearing of this, and with near riots erupting in London, the British government sues for peace, not knowing that German troops had no chance at all of holding their positions with no supplies.

Yeah that could work.

BTW the U-Boat fleet (in 1939) would have to be 300 boats, of which at least 200 would have to be the Type VII with possibly some Type XI. But the Germans will need at least 300 U-Boats according to Dönitz for a successful victory in starving Britain into submission.

And the Germans would have to win by late 1940. If the UK can hold out until early 1941, then the UK will survive & the Battle of the Atlantic will swing against the Germans akin to the OTL.

Successful Operation Sealion equals Great Britain defeated, even if the odds of making Operation Sea Lion successful is extremely low. I don't have a plausible explanation for this, so sue me.

Superdude said:
Most of the population thinks this is an invasion, and already starving they mob Parliament, calling for an end to the war.

Actually knowing English culture they might not do this. I personally think it's just as likely that the English go collectively insane and pull a Japan, showing fanatical, though hopeless resistance.

I really wouldn't put it past them. They're a bit crazy :D