The Grand Eagle of Europe: Western Roman Survival

The Grand Eagle of Europe: Romanana & Celtica

Alrighty. So I'm going to give this TL a shot.
I've been thinking over it for a month or so, but anything can change.

I am planning a WRE survival through an undercover assassination. It will directly affect the rise and fall of other civilizations and create some that never had a chance in OTL. This will be as unique as possible, and just because it survives doesn't mean it will flourish. Remember to give feedback and keep this multi-sided, please! :)

Prelude:
April 396 A.D.

Shortly before the invasions of the Western Roman Empire, the new emperors of Rome, Flavius Arcadius and Flavius Honorius had just recently acquired the thrones as infants with co-rule by their father Theodosius I. The scholars in the capital of Mediolanum were distraught over the continuing rule of the Theodosius I. The taxes were raised daily on the poor, the economy was suffering, and the population could not match the necessary number of armies. The high classes and the nobility felt none of this, living in such luxurious conditions, but even the little educated knew something needed to change.

Scholars in the capital advised against the crowning of these two, knowing their guidance would be futile in the long run. They knew the empire was torn in two, but seeing two different leaders of the empire crowned only increased the tensions. Some argued for the need of a single, strong leader who would protect the country from the suspicious Visigoths in the West and any future wars. If a single foreign force attacked the empire, all was lost.

It was clear that any weak leaders in a fast declining empire would lead to the crumbling of the 500 year empire. All seemed hopeless until the mysterious, untimely deaths of the children emperors.

Last edited:

FDW

Banned
Interesting. Not exactly the most unique of concepts, but still, I wait to see how this TL will unfold. Consider me subscribed.

Interesting. Does Rome stay a republic, do they stay pagan or convert. It would be interesting to see Rome stay Pagan and wage war against the Muslims, since their religion would end up coming first if Christianity did not take hold(I thinK:confused: confused a little). Well this would be good to see If Rome evolved into the Holy Roman Empire with the Francs, and Teutons incoroporated, and have them stay Pagan:D. Cant wait to see what you do.

Interesting. Does Rome stay a republic, do they stay pagan or convert. It would be interesting to see Rome stay Pagan and wage war against the Muslims, since their religion would end up coming first if Christianity did not take hold(I thinK:confused: confused a little). Well this would be good to see If Rome evolved into the Holy Roman Empire with the Francs, and Teutons incoroporated, and have them stay Pagan:D. Cant wait to see what you do.

I don't want to give too much away, but I will tell you that the WRE will last well into the Modern Era (OTL), but will have to suffer through much of the same fates as other European nations including religious conflict. And thank you for your comment :)

Varengellius
The Conspirator
380 A.D. to 396 A.D.

The Florentia Scholasticus Congregatio: a high scholar society in Florentia founded by a rejected adviser to Octavius during the spring of his second year as emperor. This adviser fled to Florentia, the then-soldier housing complex, and began planning the future of the Roman Empire. He was a wanted man for providing false information regarding the death of Julius Caeser years earlier. He created this "society" as a parallel to the noble authorities in Rome in a rebellious fashion. He hoped for a bright future for the Empire and for the capital. To fulfill this want, he sent out invitations to the greatest scholars of Rome. The exact motive of this man was a mystery, but it would prove to be the empire's shadowed turning point.

Descendants of this man lived in Florentia for hundreds of years, carefully watching as the empire steadily moved towards destruction. They watched the horrors of the Nero and Domitian administrations transition to the prosperous Aurelias ones. But it was not until Diocletian did the congregation contribute any actual changes to Rome. The congregation constructed of a council system based off the old Roman Republic which managed internal affairs, but was widely ignored into the 4th century.

The elected leader of the council on the heated morning of August 23rd, 380 A.D. was clear to be Appius Varengellius. He was a stubborn man who had some clear mental disturbance within him, reminiscent of Caligula. The second in command, Titus Sergius, was in a constant nervous state whilst confronting Varengellius for any minuscule purpose. Varengellius was an imposing man who legends say made "Lions Tremble at his Feet." The council leader held immense power over the other members of the council, but he could not force them to vote for resolutions. Varengellius was a conspirator, waking up every morning to write in his tiny, brown diary plausible battle plans and drafts of maps. He despised the current emperors Theodosius I and Valentinian II, and constantly drafted assassination plans to dispose of the leaders. The plans were well-made and well thought out (For someone with mental disorders, that is). However, each plan had a major flaw that prevented any successful assassinations: no one could breach the emperor's chambers. He waited and waited for an idea to come to resolute this conundrum, and after half a decade, after a long stare into his washroom's mirror, he announced the answer.

-October 3rd, 391 A.D.

Walking up the gold-plated stairs to address the council, Varengellius announced in his booming voice, "Attention fellow council members! The solution to Rome's depreciation has been unveiled to me. I will need the help of Titus for this important task. The sleeping lion will awaken soon!"

He stepped down to thunderous applause.

The last line in his to-be-famous statement sparked hope throughout Florentia. For the first time in years, hope was more prevalent than despair.

1.1277396433.beautiful-hallways-throughout-vatican.jpg

Varengellius walked with Titus in the long hallways to his inner chambers, discussing future plans. His words echoed throughout the halls as he began to explain to Titus that while looking in his mirror that morning, he realized the similarity between himself and emperor Valentinian II. Titus shook with fear, hardly remembering any words coming from the tall man. Varengellius ignored Titus' usual nervousness and continued to explain his plan.

"...so do you understand, young Titus? Theodosius and his children are planning on attending a dinner event in Rome on May 15th. I plan to dress as Valentinian to make a surprise appearance while you and Lucius kill the real emperor in his home in Vienne, Gaul."

Titus answered, "Oh...okay sir. Um..."

"The security in the Western Empire is much lesser than that of the East. It'd odd, you'd think because of the West's power, it would have tighter security, but nobody knows how to operate this place anymore. But that's about to change. Hahaha!"

"Very good, s-s-sir."

"Indeed. Remember to make it look like a suicide. Leave no traces or chaos would ensue. Anyway, being dressed as Valentinian, I will enter the party, convince Theodosius to write the letter allowing my son to become heir, and finally poison him and his children."

"Alright, then," replied Titus, writing down every detail of the plan. "But, why not make yourself emperor? Constanus is just a child, he won't last a day as emperor!"

"I do not plan on returning here, Titus. I plan on being killed shortly after poisoning the emperor. There is no way for this to be done discreetly. And that's why he's named Tiberius Constanus and not Varengellius. When my true identity is discovered, my name must disappear from this earth. Constanus will ring out to Europe as the new Roman Emperor if all works out."

Titus just gazed at Varengellius, no longer able to hide his thoughts, he spoke. "You're nuts, old man! Constanus is a boy of 10 years! This will never w-"

Interrupting, "HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME!", while pushing Titus to the floor. "Don't make me have you executed. You know I have the authority. The plan will work."

Titus stood up slowly and begrudgingly followed Titus. "I trust your judgment."

-May 15th, 392 A.D.

Months followed, and the plan did not go over exactly as planned...

Titus fulfilled his role and successfully killed Valentinian in his home in Vienne. He made it look as though Valentinian committed suicide. In fact, his job was so successful that no one ever figured out if Valentinian really killed himself or not. Titus returned to Florentia and was given the role of council electorate, inheritable from Varengellius.

Meanwhile, the plan in Rome was not nearly as successful. The first part of the plan went over splendidly, though. Dressed as the co-ruler of the Roman Empire, Varengellius was able to persuade Theodosius into believing the possibility of a disaster in the empires, resulting in the deaths of his entire population. Gullible and fearful, Theodosius listened, and was eventually convinced into signing the letter allowing "Constanus of Western Rome heir to the Roman throne in the case of a disaster." The disaster was later defined as, "an event ending the lives of Flavius Theodosius, Flavius Arcadius, Flavius Honorius, and the Eastern Emperor, Flavius Valentinianus." The guards oversaw this act with disdain, but could do nothing to stop the emperors.

While the first part went well, the second...not so well. Contrary to Varengellius' opinion, the security was a touch more powerful than expected. Varengellius was spotted with a oblong shaped bottle shortly after leaving Theodosius' table, and after being immediately questioned by servants, was revealed to have been a fake and was sentenced to death.

Word eventually got back to Florentia that the plan failed and Theodosius had survived...or did he?

While not realized for another four years, Varengellius has slipped the poison into the bowls of the emperor and his children before being caught. Theodosius was away from the table at the time and the guards were too distracted to warn Theodosius of his infected meal. Theodosius and his two children, Honorius and Arcadius, had finished their meals within a half hour of the arrest. But when no other affects occurred besides slight muscle aches, it was widely believed that the poison either somehow expired or was never actually poison in the first place. The latter was true.

The muscle aches in Theodosius and his children never left and only progressed into worse and worse symptoms. The public was unaware of this problem, as well as Valentinian's death, as it would 'plummet the empires into chaos and anarchy' the officials thought. The sickness worsened into a severe case of edema. The guards finally realized that the poison was not immediate kind, but the slow and painful kind. They suspected that could be the case, but four years was unexpected.

On his deathbed, Theodosius handed the guards the letter with his signature. They read it, nodded, and served their emperor in his final hours. Honorius and Arcadius died a few days after Theodosius.

-March 5th, 396 A.D.

The emperor's guard walked on the golden pedestal, turned to the populous crowd, and proudly stated, "We have found Tiberius Constanus!"

The crowd cheered an enormous cheer. Finally knowing the empire would once again be under one ruler. Women cried tears of joy that trickled onto the hard pavement below. Children covered their ears, trying to escape the screams.

Through the door walked a young man at 5' 10''. He had dirty blond hair, a short, stubby nose, and not the fittest physique. He carefully walked over to the guard dressed in sparkling jewels and gold. "My father told me I would one day be great, but I never expected this."

The guard turned to him and responded, "What is meant to be, is meant to be."

The young man, no older than 16, walked up the pedestal and waited.

"I now present to you, the people of Rome, your new emperor!" Placing the spectacular ruby and sapphire encrusted crown upon the boy's head. The guard stepped down and let Constanus to step on the pedestal.

The guard shouted, "Long live Constanus! Emperor of the Roman Empire!"

The crowd mimicked the guards in unison, "Long live Constanus!!"

Author's note: The next part will be all about the reign of Constanus I.
Will he unite the empires? Will the WRE shrink or grow? Will Rome survive the barbarian invasions?
(The answer to that last one is yes ;))

Well, i can only say it was a inexepected turn of events. So for four years the Empire didn't had any Emperors? :confused:

I smell things in that period of time didn't go very well... fall of the Eastern part? :D

Well, obviously, this TL is about the survival of the WRE.

Keep it up.

Indeed it is! And I plan to ;)

Well, i can only say it was a inexepected turn of events. So for four years the Empire didn't had any Emperors? :confused:

I smell things in that period of time didn't go very well... fall of the Eastern part? :D

It was very unexpected, yes. The only people who knew about the the death of Valentinian and the sickness of Theodosius were the highest-ranked guards. There were rumors circulating of why no one had seen either of them in so long, but they assumed it was for a good reason. Nobody really demanded any public appearances.

After that dinner when Theodosius contracted that disease, he only had a slight muscle ache. He continued ruling with his disease for another few years, regardless of the escalation of the symptoms. Similar to OTL FDR, some people knew about his disease, but it was kept under wraps. The people of Rome understood something was wrong with Theodosius, but he was near 50-years old. That was a high age to be back then. People just thought he was aging fast. He eventually died on his actual, OTL date of death in January 395 A.D. His sons were the de facto emperors of the West and East Empires until their simultaneous deaths (again from the disease) in late January 395 A.D.

Between 395 A.D. and 396 A.D., the highest ranked guards secretly sent out multiple search parties looking for man as described in Theodosius' letter. During that time, there was a transitional government ruled by Theodosius' highest officer, but disguised as being ruled as a very sick Theodosius.

March 396 A.D., Constanus is found in Florentia and basically delivered to Rome where he was crowned emperor. Of course, that is when the people of the empire were finally told of the deaths of Valentinian and Theodosius.

And for your other question, The ERE is still technically a separate nation, but for now both empires are united under the same emperor. And no, it has not fallen yet. It has only suffered minor territorial losses during the transitional government takeover.

Last edited:
Would like to see a re-unification, that would make the Romans very powerful again.

That would be interesting, but as said here:

the empire was split because it was to large for one emperor to handle.

It has already been tried and it was unmanageable. As of 396, Constanus is the emperor of both parts of the Roman Empire, but as he will figure out shortly, it is difficult for one man to keep control of a continent-wide empire. :rolleyes:

But you'll hear about that in the next part!

Constanus I of Rome.

The Wise

396 A.D. to 446 A.D.

April 6th, 402 A.D.

Midnight.

A shadowy figure stepped slowly forward. "My son...Am I crazy for putting myself through this? To save a broken empire? Who's to say it won't crumble with or without my help? If I wait, it will crumble and I will be blamed. But if I act too fast, the same will happen. I just don't know anymore." He walked over to the wine cabinet, grabbed a bottle and poured the purple liquid into a tall glass. "The people no longer wait to see my face every morning as they did years ago. At least they've grown inspired enough to keep fighting in the Gothic War. They've even pushed them back to Adrianople, back to a battle we lost years ago...against those demon barbarians." He lifted up the glass. "How could have emperors before me have misjudged these people? They walked into our lands illegally and we make them farmers? Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if my father's mission failed." He took a sip of the wine."Tomorrow I will enact legislation that will finally end this war. I have to. We'll lose a damned lot of empire territory through this...but it just might save this land."

He walked up to the gleaming window, the moonlight peered through revealing the gray hairs peeking through his dark blond mane. "I have to go with them. They cannot do it alone. I'll come back for you Servius. I will not let you grow up without your father as I did."

Servius answered with unintelligible babble. Constanus walked near the golden crib and picked up his son. "Your son will be emperor one day, Servius." The infant smiled as he was set back down.

-7:32 am, Rome

pantheon.jpg

Walked up the golden pedestal, he spoke, "Subjects, good morning to you!"

The audience applauded this welcome.

"I, Constanus I of these great empires hereby decree new acts which will once again let the Roman Empire flourish into the great land it once was!"

The audience roared with cheering and excitement.

"This will be hard to take in, but with the following rules being implemented into Roman law immediately, we will save the wondrous culture of this fair land. First, I plan to end this horrific Gothic War which eats up our economy and resources every day.

All was silent. The audience was stunned by this proclamation.

"You may have heard that we have recently gained the upper hand in this war and that we could win. This is true, but it would leave us wide open in the West, and Rome could very well be attacked in the upcoming years. The Visigoths are temporarily pushed back to Adrianople, but even though we wish to push them North, entirely out of our lands, that is just plain impossible. Our armies are weakened, and we have no choice but to retreat."

This late line was greeted with multiple boos and hisses.

"My people, listen please! This retreat will lead to a prosperous Rome, lower taxes, and less deaths. But it will all take some careful planning. I hereby demand that Titus Sergius of Florentia be placed before me in one week's time. I have heard of this man's influence in the city of Florentia and it has been confirmed that he has become one of this empire's great military advisers. Now onto other affairs...

"As many of you know, Christianity has grown to be the majority religion in Rome and the empires alike. This type of unity is exactly what we need here and I will continue to applaud such efforts. However, we must not discriminate anyone based on religion, and therefore, any religious crimes between upon anyone of Christian or Paganism beliefs will be dealt with harshly. We will forever have no national religion in order to respect all religious beliefs here."

The crowd cheered, some feeling that the old Republic is beginning to return.

"Thirdly, and many of you will not like this decree, we will decrease the size of the empire. The specifics are not made yet, but my royal advisers and I will draft a map of the new empire shortly. The reason for this: outside of the peninsula, there is not a large Roman population. In other words, not too many live outside of the direct empire any longer. We are decreasing the size for security reasons, but anything can change."

Once again, the crowd was silent. Waiting further news.

"One last thing I would like to address. It seems with all of these barbaric tribes about, that every foreign group out there is out to get us. Do not fear any longer, for we have a new ally! After a long, strenuous war history, the Celtic people of the North have agreed to be our economic and military ally. They have forgiven us for invasions centuries ago, and we now both realize that these barbarians will destroy both of us if they takeover Europe. So, my people, remember that we are not alone in this fight!"

The crowd thunderously applauded their emperor.

"Thank you all for listening. I will let you all know when further decisions have been made."

He stepped down and returned to his offices.

April 14th, 402 A.D.

Titus finally arrived in Rome and walked into Constanus' chambers. He walked up to the emperor and gave him an expected hug.

Titus had been a friend of Varengellius up to his death. Even though the latter had multiple issues, Titus always stood by him through his decisions. He was aging as everyone does, but was still fit as a fiddle at 43 years. Constanus was the only one who knew his family secret, thanks to a certain diary he keeps with him, and since Titus was never found to be Valentinian's killer, nobody had heard his name before.

Together they discussed how to end the Gothic War and more importantly, how to save Rome from destruction. Titus advised Constanus to abandon Constantinople and only fortify Rome, but Constanus rejected that idea as quickly as it came. Constantinople, he believed, was as essential to the empire as Rome was. The only solution was to find a separate ruler to govern Constantinople and, effectively, the Eastern part of the Roman Empire.

"My son is heir to both thrones at the moment," Constanus told Titus, "but because we need to split this empire, I suggest we make you the Eastern's emperor!"

Taken agast, "But sire, I am only an adviser! There's no way I can govern a whole emperor! Who would have been the emperor if Valentinian didn't...erm...die?"

"Theodosius' child, Arcadius. But he died before I became emperor."

"Right...right..."

"Well there's got to be someone. There's no way I can govern both sides of the empire...wait! I got it! It might be disputed, but what if we give the throne to Aelia Eudoxia?"

"Who?" answered Titus with a perplexed look on his face.

"Aelia Eudoxia! She's the daughter of Rufinius, one of the old consuls during Theodosius' rule. I would have chosen him...but he's deceased."

"Well that answers that. A Roman Empress has never ruled by herself before, but desperate times call for desperate measures."

"Appoint her to the throne immediately and make sure she produces an heir as soon as possible. You can help her with that." Constanus stated, grinning.

"Risky move, sir. But if you say so..." Titus said while starting to walk off.

"Hold it!" yelled Constanus. Titus immediately froze. "About the war, Titus. Are you sure shortening the Western Empire will work?"

"Your father did the same thing. Always unsure of things." Titus turned to Constanus. "As long as you're careful, it will. Do not do anything to hastily or we'll lose you as we lost your father."

350px-John_Chrysostom_and_Aelia_Eudoxia.jpg

Aelia (pictured above, in the window) was crowned, to the chagrin of the Eastern populous, as the first Empress of the Eastern Roman Empire. Titus had the opportunity to be crowned emperor, but opposed to doing so, he refused. She proved to be an excellent ruler, cutting off supply lines used by the Visigoths, successfully ending all chances of a Visigothic Kingdoms in the East. She only ruled for a few years, but her administration was strong. When she became Empress, she bore Titus' child, who would be named Sergius I, named after Titus (who died in 410 A.D.), of the Eastern Roman Empire.

From 404 A.D. to 445 A.D., Constanus spent his administration ending the Gothic War and trading with the Celts. Because of his careful thinking, he was able to finally fortify the Western Roman Empire's borders with over 50,000 Celtic army members. For the next fifty years, the WRE would be in debt to the Celtic Kingdom, but that will be explained in more depth later.

The Western Roman Empire's borders were now much smaller than they were in 380, but defense was now manageable. The Alps kept invading forces at bay now that the Romans had newer technology. The Vandals witnessed many of the battles during the Gothic War and decided to traverse Iberia and set up a small kingdom in North Africa.

Constanus was given the Caesar surname for bringing honor and stability back to the empire. Statues were constructed, but he never let it go to his head. He knew such a thing was what emperors before him had done and it only hurt the empires.

Constanus I Caesar was seen by many as a hero who sacrificed in order to keep stability. He lowered taxes due to a smaller army required to fortify borders. There were little assassination attempts only being contracted by those related to Theodosius I. The capital was officially moved to Rome, with Florentia, Ravenna, and Aquileia remaining as the largest cities in the WRE.

Throughout Constanus' reign of fifty years, no barbarian army breached the now-small borders of the empire. The Ostrogoths attempted to set up a kingdom, but it lasted a mere 2 months before it fell. The Visigothic invasion ultimately failed and they retreated East only to be vanquished by Sergius I's forces. Some of the remaining Visigoths escaped into Iberia where they set up a small kingdom. The Vandals were hardly a threat in the South, knowing that what happened to the Visigoths could happen to them. The Franks marched into Gaul as planned and set up their kingdom. Constanus drew up a fast treaty with the Franks forging an alliance. Gaul had not been a part of the empire for years, so they did not care if the Franks had it. The alliance was a security.

Constanus died in his sleep the morning of March 5th, 446 A.D. He died the most successful emperor of the Roman Empire in centuries. His son was already in his 30s, so he passed on the throne. Constanus' grandson would gain the throne as Constanus II at the age of 9. A brown diary was inherited to him the day he was crowned. An adviser reported saying that he saw among other things, an advanced map of Europe in the diary with plausible battle plans for the next hundred years.

Last edited:
Are you all alright with the format I'm using? Too long? Should I add more spaces?

And tell me what you all think about the story itself.
Not enough detail in certain areas? Too detailed?

Please let me know!
I love feedback, regardless of if it's negative or positive. :p

So, in order to save the salvable, most of the continental part of the Empire was sacrificed. Surely it's a hard blow but however WRE will survive after 476 AD.

Gallia and Britannia, i understand. but why Africa? it is rich province and somewhat easy to defend.

Well the native population of Africa never liked rome... and because of the constant raids in the south this has left africa on a very very shaky hold... An example of what happenned in the Caliphate invasion of Egypt... The native population hated the Byzantines so much that they actually helped push the romans into the sea and where much happier being under muslim control then christian control.

By making the Empire smaller he has made it greater. Not the imperialist solution, but a very good one for the short-term.

Until Rome has the technology and power too reclaim the lands once held by the entire empire. That would be interesting. "We reclaim these lands in the name of Mother Rome!"