British after Sealion

Is it possible that if Operation Sealion was a success and Germany kept a tight grip on Britain, would it be possible that the Parliament and/or Monarchy would flee to a territory of the Empire like Canada or Australia? I know this has been done in the past with Portugal and Brazil in the 1800s, so I am curious.

Well, its just bringing up sealion. It was done so much, it got old for a lot of people on the site, real fast. It was before my time, but usually, unless you have a really new angle, its kinda unwise to bring it up a lot.

mowque

Banned
Is it possible that if Operation Sealion was a success and Germany kept a tight grip on Britain, would it be possible that the Parliament and/or Monarchy would flee to a territory of the Empire like Canada or Australia? I know this has been done in the past with Portugal and Brazil in the 1800s, so I am curious.

Hard to talk about since Sealion is impossible.

In it's original form, yes.

If Germany had successfully invaded Britain in 1940, the Royal Family would have been moved to Canada, they wouldn't have much of a say in it. I have a romanticised view that Churchill and his cabinet would make a last stand in the ruins of Parliament but realistically they all would have left as well, apart from maybe Churchill.

You have mentioned the unmentionable sea mammal. I hearby sentence you to be burned at the stake for heresy and abuse of historical reaility.:mad::mad::mad:

No seriously, the problem is that there is long standing opposition on this forum towards Sealion as it has been determined on this forum to be impossible.
The problem previously mentioned by others is that you are now in for a bunch of rants about its impossibility, and probably a sprinkling of dismissive comments about you being a complete noob. You my friend have unleashed the curse of the unmentionable sea mammal. I honestly feel sorry for you, as I think while it was impossible, it gets a little too much persecution on this forum, but it is loathed on the forum because of the huge amount of people, especially new members, who make posts about it. It has got really old for some members to explain how it couldn't have succeeded, and so there is no longer any interest in hand waving the problems and just focusing on the aftermath. The pattern of smack down has been repeated so often that at this point people have essentially memorized how the entire discussion will play out.

To answer the OP, I'd say Canada. It's the place that's least likely to get invaded when compared to all the other colonies.

*runs and ducks for cover to prepare for impending flamewar*

To answer the OP, I'd say Canada. It's the place that's least likely to get invaded when compared to all the other colonies.

*runs and ducks for cover to prepare for impending flamewar*

Honestly? Canada? In some ways I think South Africa would be better. It's a great place to seem as anti-Nazi as possible, as a result making it an easier time for the blacks there and dulling down a lot of anti-British sentiment among the Afrikaaners. Plus the Reich isn't going to be sailing around the Cape if the brunt of the RN is there, nor is the IJN in the Indian Ocean at this point I don't think.

I'm sure Canada is a viable option, I just think that S. Africa might be better. Australia or NZ are supposedly susceptible to invasion from the Japanese, but Hitler I'm sure would pressure the Japanese to do so if only to end the British resistance.

Look, while its a nice idea, even as a new member, I knew its been done to death.
If you want to see a film that gives a "bare" idea of what the world would be like, watch "It Happened Here". Also, read "SS-GB". These will give you clues.
They also work in that they handwave the whole "implausibility" factor, and concentrate on the world and story.
And I stand by this.

Interesting subject a Britain after Sealion (lets just say by some miricle they pulled it of).

Now I think the Royals would leave for Canada and the Germans would want to bring back Edward VIII as the pro-nazi king.
But I doubt he would be allowed to leave Bermuda.

I could see Lloyd George as the new leader of Britain.

Oswald Mosley would likely be found hanging in his cell.

Another change may well be giving N Ireland to Eire in exchange for joining the Tripartite pact.

Indeed, although I'm somewhat interested in what happens in the United Kingdom in the aftermath of a failed Operation Sealion. I'm sure even a failed invasion attempt would have some impact on the conduct of the war thereafter. Though the plan was so bad, even having Hitler order the invasion carried out may be ASB.

To answer the original post, yes. If the Germans conquer the UK by invasion, there's probably a strong likelihood of a Government in exile somewhere, and Canada is a good place for such a government to be located, since I think such a government would be at least somewhat reliant on support from Roosevelt's United States. I'm not sure who would be running the UK In Exile, since if he lives up to his rhetoric, Winston Churchill may be killed during the invasion.

However, as posters have discussed again and again here, Operation Sealion was a terrible plan, that had little to no chance of success, so you aren't likely to procure a UK in Exile scenario without the help of Alien Space Bats.

Cook

Banned
No seriously, the problem is that there is long standing opposition on this forum towards Sealion as it has been determined on this forum to be impossible.

Not by this forum.

It’s been determined as impossible by pretty much everyone with experience of amphibious operations; there are dozens of papers around listing all the flaws and shortfalls in Germany’s capabilities that preclude an opposed landing.

As for the Dominions im sure they would all be loyal to the UK government in excile with the possible exception of South Africa.