Plans for the aftermath of a successful Sealion?

Hey Guys,

Now I know the thought of Operation Sealion succeeding is purely ASB and I fully understand that.

All I'm asking for are what were the plans for Britain in the short and long run? This is politically, culturally etc.

I've looked it up on Wikipedia though it sounds odd about the men being sent to Germany while the women being kept behind.

So what were the plans? And if there weren't many, what do you think would've happened?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Hey Guys,

Now I know the thought of Operation Sealion succeeding is purely ASB and I fully understand that.

All I'm asking for are what were the plans for Britain in the short and long run? This is politically, culturally etc.

I've looked it up on Wikipedia though it sounds odd about the men being sent to Germany while the women being kept behind.

So what were the plans? And if there weren't many, what do you think would've happened?

The Plan was was for something similar to France, with a bit of Denmark mixed in. Some version of the Royal Family, puppet PM and Parliment, deport the Jews, Communists, and other troublemakers to the Camps, etc.

It would have worked about as well as it did in France or Norway. If the UK had fallen, the European War was over, unless the Soviets managed to kick the Reich's ass solo, which would have been a chore.

The Plan was was for something similar to France, with a bit of Denmark mixed in. Some version of the Royal Family, puppet PM and Parliment, deport the Jews, Communists, and other troublemakers to the Camps, etc.

It would have worked about as well as it did in France or Norway. If the UK had fallen, the European War was over, unless the Soviets managed to kick the Reich's ass solo, which would have been a chore.

The Black Book

I'm not sure it's right to put France (and Belgium) in the same bag as Norway (and the Netherlands). Obvious in terms of Nazi methods and goals they were very similiar especially as comapred to the horrors of Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union; but how the people responded was quite differant.

There were some pretty poisonous attitudes on the loose in France: the Vichy government arose mostly constitutionally, of course. Monsters like the people in the Milice can be found anywhere and will be found in Britain, and everyone reaches their own little accomodation with an occupier; but in terms of active collaboration, I'd hope Britain could match Norway and the Netherlands by pulling together and giving all the help we can to our Jews and so on.

Interestingly I'd say the British plans for a Nazi occupation were probably more workable than the German ones. We had already shipped our gold reserves to Canada so that the Germans would not get their hands on them and the King and Royal Family would also have been evacuated, if necessary.
Britain was also unique in that it had already organised a resistance movement, the Auxiliary Units (http://www.warlinks.com/pages/auxiliary.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_Units). The surviving members are on record as saying they intended on carrying out sabotage and attacks on the occupying forces no matter what reprisals were carried out against the population.

I believe the idea was to (possibly forcefully) coopt the Duke of Windsor (formally Edward VIII) and place him on the throne of 'free' Britain ruled from Balmoral. London and the South-East would have been occupied, and the London museums stripped and the contents sent to Linz. Of course, there would have been the usual deportation of Jews and male hostages to Germany.