EU manages to prevent 2nd Iraq war?

Valamyr

Banned
I realize this is a little fresh of an event for most to take an unbiaised approach to possible AH, but for the hell of it, I was wondering; how much pressure would the anti-war camp need to exert to prevent the USA from attacking Iraq altogether?

Lets remember the vast majority of the peoples of the world were united against it in a overwhelming majority. Desire to preserve relations with the USA made even the most bitter enemies of the war remain at best neutral, though, there was never any serious talk of sanctions or military consequences outside of the arab world, which of course does not have the possibility to follow suit.

However, France, Germany, Russia and China might have been more persuasive. I dont really see Russia and China taking the initiative of such an effort though, as they'd have much more to lose than Western Europe.

Heres a possible scenario which begins in very early 2003, when the war begins to seem unavoidable:

Knowing the war probably very damaging and wrong, "old europe" takes a bolder stance to prevent it. Threatening the very foundations of NATO, France and Germany begin using the EU structure to push european-wide economic and diplomatic sanctions on the US and its allies in case of an invasion.

With most of the US allies in Eastern Europe, and not yet EU members, blocking the entry of belligerant countries is on the agenda as well.

Italy is the only real obstacle. There is a brief showdown inside the EU, but the peace camp prevails. The EU goes much further than OTL, and threatens to pull back from NATO and set up European Defense Headquarters in Brussels. Though Germany grits her teeth, the planned measures also include dismantling all US bases in EU territory.

The east european countries which supported the US war; Poland, bulgaria, etc, immediately turn around and pull back all assistance. Joining the EU as planned a few months later is much more important.

So in this case, two possibilities; Either NATO crumble to pieces and becomes a US/UK alliance, with mainland Europe going its separate way, united by a bitter resentment of the USA, with its own defense. Europe impose direct trade sanctions on the USA, US embassies are closed in several key countries. Several resolutions are symbolically brought before the UN for sanctions, pass through the assembly, but are of course vetoed at the security council by the USA. The UN either collapses or move its seat to Europe as the USA withdraws from it and pursues alone its middle eastern policies. Blair's UK probably stick to Washington no matter what. A sucessful non confidence motion over there is likely, though.

Or, in face of this overwhelming pressure and the certitude to split the western world in two camps, Bush stops and calls the soldiers home, blaming endlessly Europe for making the world "more dangerous" and all that. French bashing evolves into Euro bashing and takes unprecedented scope, relations are damaged by the European threats but NATO and the UN holds.

Which is the most likely? Which hurts Bush's reelection bid the most? In the former scenario, would a much stronger peace camp dare pushing the anti-US stance to the point suggesting to militarily oppose the invasion? All European media would surely give an extremely anti-US stance on the war, to the point of overshadowing Al-Jazeera.

Last edited:
Valamyr said:
I realize this is a little fresh of an event for most to take an unbiaised approach to possible AH, but for the hell of it, I was wondering; how much pressure would the anti-war camp need to exert to prevent the USA from attacking Iraq altogether?

Lets remember the vast majority of the peoples of the world were united against it in a overwhelming majority. Desire to preserve relations with the USA made even the most bitter enemies of the war remain at best neutral, though, there was never any serious talk of sanctions or military consequences outside of the arab world, which of course does not have the possibility to follow suit.

However, France, Germany, Russia and China might have been more persuasive. I dont really see Russia and China taking the initiative of such an effort though, as they'd have much more to lose than Western Europe.

Heres a possible scenario which begins in very early 2003, when the war begins to seem unavoidable:

Knowing the war probably very damaging and wrong, "old europe" takes a bolder stance to prevent it. Threatening the very foundations of NATO, France and Germany begin using the EU structure to push european-wide economic and diplomatic sanctions on the US and its allies in case of an invasion.

With most of the US allies in Eastern Europe, and not yet EU members, blocking the entry of belligerant countries is on the agenda as well.

Italy is the only real obstacle. There is a brief showdown inside the EU, but the peace camp prevails. The EU goes much further than OTL, and threatens to pull back from NATO and set up European Defense Headquarters in Brussels. Though Germany grits her teeth, the planned measures also include dismantling all US bases in EU territory.

The east european countries which supported the US war; Poland, bulgaria, etc, immediately turn around and pull back all assistance. Joining the EU as planned a few months later is much more important.

So in this case, two possibilities; Either NATO crumble to pieces and becomes a US/UK alliance, with mainland Europe going its separate way, united by a bitter resentment of the USA, with its own defense. Europe impose direct trade sanctions on the USA, US embassies are closed in several key countries. Several resolutions are symbolically brought before the UN for sanctions, pass through the assembly, but are of course vetoed at the security council by the USA. The UN either collapses or move its seat to Europe as the USA withdraws from it and pursues alone its middle eastern policies. Blair's UK probably stick to Washington no matter what. A sucessful non confidence motion over there is likely, though.

Or, in face of this overwhelming pressure and the certitude to split the western world in two camps, Bush stops and calls the soldiers home, blaming endlessly Europe for making the world "more dangerous" and all that. French bashing evolves into Euro bashing and takes unprecedented scope, relations are damaged by the European threats but NATO and the UN holds.

Which is the most likely? Which hurts Bush's reelection bid the most? In the former scenario, would a much stronger peace camp dare pushing the anti-US stance to the point suggesting to militarily oppose the invasion? All European media would surely give an extremely anti-US stance on the war, to the point of overshadowing Al-Jazeera.

Europe would never do it since Iraq is not worth a World-wde depression.

Valamyr

Banned
Brilliantlight said:
Europe would never do it since Iraq is not worth a World-wde depression.

A frigid and accurate calculation.

But history has shown that sometimes men can be lured into non-optimal choices for ideas like justice and peace.

The majority of Europeans would have approved such a policy at the time, I believe.

There's also an other facet to it. Every time countries let the "superpower" of the day act willy-nilly they put themselves at further risk and limit their own range of actions. This is why history has always had weaker nations team up against the upper dog.

Sanctions on the US and the allies? Italy, UK, Spain, etc? Good God Val, you just murdered the EU! No, my mistake, you didn't, because the actions started in 2003 and the war began in 2002. Hmmm, very strange behavior...

Well, let's assume you meant early 2002 ;) as the time of action. Well, since the EU was neither willing nor able to match US commitments to the former Warsaw Pact members, you could easily have a dramatically reduced EU, especially if the UK, Spain, Italy, etc go along with the US. More likely the entire organization is paralyzed and there is massive bitterness just as work on the EU Constitution is being finalized.

If Bush pulls back, the NATO alliance is effectively dead on arrival. The US probably withdraws from the UN, effectively destroying several peacekeeping operations, unless the EU coughs up the money and manpower to continue. Since maintaining these operations would come on top of 25-35 billion Euros per year just to repair NATO from equipment, supplies, spy satellites, AWACS, etc lost when the US left NATO, this is not certain. There exists a possibility of the US returning to isolationism, with regional nuclear powers like Israel and (incipiently) Japan taking extreme measures for their own security. China is in hysterics, after Japan, then South Korea, and possibly even Taiwan and Australia develop their own nuclear arms. China's position in the world is crippled and renunification with Taiwan may be forfeit. On the other hand, Russia is much friendlier to the US, now they see the EU as the rival, and one they are much stronger vis a vis. And of course the EU just forfeited all influence over the US regarding the Arab-Israeli conflict.

In the former situation, where the US doesn't pull back, the EU does nothing as it means they were unable to form a consensus and there is no basis for sanctions and such, but let's assume all the representatives were drunk one afternoon...

No possibility whatsoever of the US embassy being closed anywhere in Europe. If sanctions do take place, the US immediately responds in kind and ends NATO. Without US satellites, air power and the US Navy, NATO-EU is effectively irrelevant outside the continent. The UN is on the short track to oblivion as every nation to lose an issue there simply refuse to abide, knowing nothing can be done to them, or perhaps leave the UN entirely. In an extreme move the United States proposes solving the global debt crisis by absolving all debtor nations! Basically Africa and Latin America, also the entire former Soviet Bloc LOVE this idea, and the EU is now facing the possibility of economic collapse of the banking industry.

For a really nasty idea, the US reaches out to Russia, accepts China's rightful position in East Asia(including Taiwan) and forms a triumverate...

Also I think the scenario misjudges Blair's strength in England, as well as England's commitment to the EU. A good thing too, because if England did follow the US out I would be very worried about Canada's position in foreign affairs. Can't back down, but being opposed to the US, UK and the Commonwealth? Ick.

Valamyr said:
A frigid and accurate calculation.

But history has shown that sometimes men can be lured into non-optimal choices for ideas like justice and peace.

The majority of Europeans would have approved such a policy at the time, I believe.

There's also an other facet to it. Every time countries let the "superpower" of the day act willy-nilly they put themselves at further risk and limit their own range of actions. This is why history has always had weaker nations team up against the upper dog.

It would not merely be non-optimal but economic and political suicide. The people might approve the policy until there are mass unemployment and sky high inflation. At which point the government would be out the next election as it dawns on Europeans that it is just not worth it for Iraq. Iraq is a nothing country, not worth the unrest of a world-wide depression.

Last edited:
Well, I fel that for this to work, you ae probably also going to need to change some of the thinking going on at the upper echelons of the American cabinet. While it seems that Bush was perfectly all right with going to war, he probably could have been talked out of by a persuasive speaker. For this, I would suggest removing some of the old-guard Republicans with grudges against Iraq from the equation. However, I'm not sure who could replace them. Ideas?

Alasdair Czyrnyj said:
Well, I fel that for this to work, you ae probably also going to need to change some of the thinking going on at the upper echelons of the American cabinet. While it seems that Bush was perfectly all right with going to war, he probably could have been talked out of by a persuasive speaker. For this, I would suggest removing some of the old-guard Republicans with grudges against Iraq from the equation. However, I'm not sure who could replace them. Ideas?

Since Saddam Huisein tried to knock off his dad in Kuwait I think nothing could have stopped a second Gulf War short of Saddam having enough brains not to do something that stupid.

There may well have been another way to prevent the war. France and Germany, opposed as they are to the war, realize that President Bush means to enforce the U.N. resolutions with or without UN support. In a final resolution in Febuary, 2003, authorizing the use of force if Iraq does not comply immediately to every stipulation of resolution 1441, Germany and Syria vote no, but France, believing the best way to prevent war is to convince Saddam Hussein that war really is coming, votes yes. French aquiescence allows the U.S. to use her diplomatic resources more effectively with Russia and China. Russia and China vote yes. The final vote is 13 for, and 2 agaist.

Believing finally that the United States really will invade, deprived of any hope of the UN holding the Americans and Brittish back, Saddam Hussein now cooperates fully with weapons inspectors. All relevant documents about the WMD program are turned over, including documentation of the destruction of large stores of Anthrax and nerve gas in 1998 and 1999. Inspectors are able to verify these documents from both eye eitness accounts and scientific evidence. While no WMD turn up, a banned missile system and some research efforts do.

The result of Saddam's compliance is that it is now very difficult, if not politically impossible for Tony Blair to take England into war with Iraq in the immediate future. The loss of English support and Iraq's new found enthusiasm for weapons inspectors makes it politically impossible for Bush to go to war, no matter how badly he might want to. Therefore Bush declares the effort a success and begins bringing troops home. Sanctions against Saddam's Iraq will be lifted within a year.

I thought about what would happen if Saddam would allow the inspectors evrything. I do not think, a war sould have been stopped. All these soldiers on the way, america wanted to fight something-afghanistan was to easy.
And-isnt the actual argument for the war that saddam needed to be removed?

Alayta said:
I thought about what would happen if Saddam would allow the inspectors evrything. I do not think, a war sould have been stopped. All these soldiers on the way, america wanted to fight something-afghanistan was to easy.
And-isnt the actual argument for the war that saddam needed to be removed?

The only people America is eager to fight are Moslems who have been running amok and causing problems for at least 25 years!

MattBrown said:
There may well have been another way to prevent the war. France and Germany, opposed as they are to the war, realize that President Bush means to enforce the U.N. resolutions with or without UN support. In a final resolution in Febuary, 2003, authorizing the use of force if Iraq does not comply immediately to every stipulation of resolution 1441, Germany and Syria vote no, but France, believing the best way to prevent war is to convince Saddam Hussein that war really is coming, votes yes. French aquiescence allows the U.S. to use her diplomatic resources more effectively with Russia and China. Russia and China vote yes. The final vote is 13 for, and 2 agaist.

Believing finally that the United States really will invade, deprived of any hope of the UN holding the Americans and Brittish back, Saddam Hussein now cooperates fully with weapons inspectors. All relevant documents about the WMD program are turned over, including documentation of the destruction of large stores of Anthrax and nerve gas in 1998 and 1999. Inspectors are able to verify these documents from both eye eitness accounts and scientific evidence. While no WMD turn up, a banned missile system and some research efforts do.

The result of Saddam's compliance is that it is now very difficult, if not politically impossible for Tony Blair to take England into war with Iraq in the immediate future. The loss of English support and Iraq's new found enthusiasm for weapons inspectors makes it politically impossible for Bush to go to war, no matter how badly he might want to. Therefore Bush declares the effort a success and begins bringing troops home. Sanctions against Saddam's Iraq will be lifted within a year.

If sanctions were lifted a year later you would merely delay the war a year. The US would never allow Iraq to be sanction free with Saddam still in charge.

Valamyr said:
Given the lack of counter-measures, the US et al effectively had carte-blanche to do as it liked to Iraq (throughout History, pious murmurings have been the main recourse of non-belligerents to Conflicts.) Moreover, due to its pariah-status between c.1990 and 2003, Iraq was of doubtful utility as a Totemic-State.

It isn't just a question of whether the U.S. still could go to war, or even if President Bush wanted to go to war. It's also about whether or not it would have been possible politically for a President to take the country to war. It may have taken a 2/3 majority (to override a veto) in both houses to force the President not to go to war once Congress had already authorized the use of force, but remove the British, and convince the American people that there were no WMD, and that Saddam was now in full compliance with the cease fire agreement from 1991 and the relevant UN resolutions, the peace movement would have easily carried the day.

I think the real potential weakness of my scenario is the idea that Saddam actually could have been convinced by a united UN to comply fully with UN resolutions. He has shown himself to be incredibly intransigent in the past. Perhaps a somewhat more likely scenario would have involved somebody else in his Party putting a bullet into Saddam's head. A united UN at last demanding removal of Saddam once it had given up on him complying may have brought that about given sufficient time, but this also seems iffy.