Napoleon Challenge

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
Arrange events so that Napoleon Bonaparte is crowned Emperor in the year 1800, exactly 1000 years after Charlemagne. I've a feeling this is harder than it looks.

Any takers?

Directory never happens, Napoleon uses unrest to establish power and Consulate comes to power quicker, and in 1800, Napoleon, realizing the histroical connection, has himself crowned "Emperor of the Franks" by the pope, in the cathedral at Aachen, in the Holy Roman Empire.

I'm not good with French history, so I'm not sure that will work... Actually, it sounds pretty unlikely to me.. oh well.

Valamyr

Banned
Eeh, whats the big deal, changing things by a couple years?

I dont think he'd like a reference to the Franks in his title, but coronation in 1800 is easy if you just change a few dates.

Need more than that to change the fate of Imperial France, though.

Grey Wolf

Donor
My initial thoughts were that for Napoleon to try to do this without the additional years of personal power would meet with much greater resistance; after all he is supposed to be the heir of the Revolution

1800 is the year of Marengo, a year after Egypt...

Maybe without Egypt Napoleon is stronger at home ? Or oddly he may be weaker, less prestige ?

Grey Wolf

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
Yeah. Maybe Napoleon climbs the chain of command earlier so he can take credit for larger and more impressive victories? Or he gets amazingly lucky in Italy. Something like that.

I'm pretty sure he gained from the Egyptian campaign. I guess the troops he left behind didn't get much chance to vote against him. :)

I'm still hoping Scott will pick this up. Otherwise I'll have to try on my own, thus revealing my overwhelming ignorance.

getting Napoleon to power earlier is impossible. his coup required a set of conditions which were not met then.

Solution : change the year. If the Church decides that there has been a mistake in the original computation of the birth year of Christ ( which there has ) and to apply the correct numerotation. Then you get a 1800 coronation.