WI Malcolm X Survived Into Old Age?

A while ago, I read "The autoboighraphy Of Malcolm X" ( Which I highly recommend to anyone). When I joined this website, It got me thinking- WI Malcolm X was not killed in the mid-60s, and survived into old age? Where would be the POD for this TL? For my money, it would have Malcolm X taking control of the Nation of Islam, and turning it away from politics. Also, what would our political landscape look like?

Straha

Banned
possible POTUS list

1977-1985 Malcom Little
1985-1993 George H.W. Bush senior
1993-2001 Jerry Brown
2001-2009 Al Gore

stronger democrat party with a charismatic leader(and no carter)

Straha

Banned
GreyGhost said:
you think he would have changed his name back to little, exhalted fleetlord?
did he really change it formally to X? I know he insisted on being called Malcom X but I'm not sure if he actually legally changed it..

Straha said:
possible POTUS list

1977-1985 Malcom Little
1985-1993 George H.W. Bush senior
1993-2001 Jerry Brown
2001-2009 Al Gore

stronger democrat party with a charismatic leader(and no carter)

I can't see a black radical winning the presidency in 1977. Malcolm didn't die a militant but he was still a black radical.

Straha

Banned
Brilliantlight said:
I can't see a black radical winning the presidency in 1977. Malcolm didn't die a militant but he was still a black radical.
practically anything could have happened in the 70's. for example if MLK didn't get shot he'd probably be the nominee instead of Carter in 1976.

Post watergate and Veit-nam, I think he had a pretty good chance. The "radical "label probably would not have applied by the 1976 elction, as he was more of a far left liberal by the time he was killed in the OTL

Ithink had they both survived they would have had a fight for the 1976 nomination, with MLK winning by a nose, assuming Teddy kenedy did not enter

Last edited:

Straha

Banned
GreyGhost said:
Post watergate and Veit-nam, I think he had a pretty good chance. The "radical "label probably would not have applied by the 1976 elction, as he was more of a far left liberal by the time he was killed in the OTL
yes thats very true. Under a malcom X presidency we'd see a political shift as great of the one that reagan did for the USA to the right only it would be for the left. There were several people who if they got the democratic nomination and won in 1976 or 1980(after a ford victory) could have shifted america to the left as greatly as Reagan did to the right they were: Jerry Brown,walter mondale,malcom X,MLK and Ted Kennedy(the least likely of the bunch)

GreyGhost said:

In any case I don't see a far left liberal black winning either. I don't see a black period winning in 1976 and certainly not a far leftest. America was more left wing in 1977 but not THAT much.

have you taken into account, however, Malcolm Xs continued presence in the national and popular arena? He would have had 10 years from the time of his death in the OTL to the elction to stay visible and have people hear his message

Straha

Banned
GreyGhost said:
have you taken into account, however, Malcolm Xs continued presence in the national and popular arena? He would have had 10 years from the time of his death in the OTL to the elction to stay visible and have people hear his message
precisely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GreyGhost said:

That wouldn't be enough to change too many minds. He would have wound up like Jessie Jackson, lots of influence but no real chance at being president.

I'm not sure he would've gotten the Presidency...but I think both he and MLK will get involved in politics, especially after Watergate. They would both, IMHO, do better by getting some statewide offices first, and then going for bigger prizes.

Coriolanus said:
I'm not sure he would've gotten the Presidency...but I think both he and MLK will get involved in politics, especially after Watergate. They would both, IMHO, do better by getting some statewide offices first, and then going for bigger prizes.

That certainly, particularly King. He wouldn't have the militant past to overcome.