More movies never made

Expanding from my previous board thread re movies not made what about if the proposed war movie on Pappy Boyington and the 'Black Sheep' of VMF214 in the Pacific during 1943-45 had been made starring Robert Mitchum ? OTL, this film was proposed during the 60s, but never made it onscreen as a major motion picture. WI it had ? Would the movie have been more popular and had a greater impact than the 1976 TV series detailing the exploits of Boyington and his guys in their F4U Corsairs over Bougainville, etc ?

I've read just a little about the Marquis de Sade and from the description, David Spade might be just the actor to play him.
I don't know who would play the Baron de Masoch...I think I'll stop there... :eek:
Has anybody suggested movies about some of the Byzantine empresses and writers?
Movies about Christian Rome, the earliest popes?

NapoleonXIV

Banned
sunsurf said:
I've read just a little about the Marquis de Sade and from the description, David Spade might be just the actor to play him.
I don't know who would play the Baron de Masoch...I think I'll stop there... :eek:
Has anybody suggested movies about some of the Byzantine empresses and writers?
Movies about Christian Rome, the earliest popes?

Or Leo deCaprio, he's more believably decadent. Spade is a bit typecast as a comedian, which is a pity since he has the depth.

Something on Justinian's wife Theodora seems a natural, but the Byzantines just don't play with Hollywood. I think it may be that their own grasp of history is so appallingly meager that they just figure nobody will know who the Byzantines were, since they have no clue themselves.

There are movies on Christian Rome and the Early Popes. Most are homebrews from Christian Groups and about as good as you'd think they'd be.

That doesn't have to be the case. Ben Hur, The Robe, even Quo Vadis are all welll-known classics by major studios and deserve remakes

I'd love to see the incident from Quo Vadis where the hero rescues the heroine from the bull in the arena done just as it was written in the novel and modern technique. It's always amazed me that such a perfectly cinematic scene was written in a 19thc book.

How about I claudius with Charles Laughton.It was started but never finished.Was a documentary on PBS about it.Looked intriguing!