The Prince of Peace

Faeelin

Banned
“His premature death should be mourned by the German people and by all men throughout the empire. For he increased their glory by the wealth of foreign countries, struck terror into the surrounding nations by his bravery and proved that they (the Germans) would certainly have surpassed all other nations had not death cut him short.”-St. Blasien’s Chronicle.

“Will thou hold and guard by all proper means the sacred faith as handed down to Catholic men?”

”Will thou be the faithful shield and protector of Holy Church and her servants?”

”Will though uphold and recover those rights of the realm and possessions of the Empire which have been unlawfully usurped”

”Wilt thou protect the poor, the fatherless, and the widowed?” [1]-Questions to the Emperor at his coronation

October 1196, Efurt
The Diet was, at long last, coming to a close. The princes were finally coming around to agreeing to Henry’s proposal. Succession in the head of the empire would now be hereditary in the Hohenstaufen lineage.
Hermann, Landgrave of Thuringia, was still complaining. “This is not the foundation upon which the Empire is based! This is a grave disservice to the Empire!” Henry sighed. Hermann had been complaining throughout. IT was a perfectly fair arrangement, really. The vassals of the Emperor could pass land through their female lines as well, and their estates were hereditary, yet so was the crown.
“Why not? The Empire of Augustus passed down dynastic lines, and are we not his heirs? “[2.
Hermann sighed, and nodded. If only the Archbishop of Cologne hadn’t passed away before the Emperor had proposed this in Wurzburg. Now he and the Welfs were the only opponents, and everyone knew the Welfs would put themselves above the Empire. As the debate concluded, Hermann nodded his assent.
Frederick II would be the first king to inherit the throne of the Empire in hundreds of years.

Anagni, Italy, March, 1197
Celestine sighed. Couldn’t they let an old man rest? So the Germans had declared Frederick II to be the heir to Henry. Was that so surprising? If Henry died, it wouldn’t last; and if he didn’t, well, they would deal with it [3]. He would give support to the revived Lombard League.

But there was more to it than that. Henry had taken the cross in 1195, and was coming south with an army. He was using his new possession as territory to free Jerusalem. How could a just Pope punish an Emperor devoted to freeing Christendom for preparing for his son’s future?

But the two kingdoms could not be kept together. He nodded. “Send the message to Henry. Frederick II can only inherit the Empire or Sicily, not both. “

August, Italy, 1197

Henry looked off in the distance, and picked his son up. “Those ships are setting off for the Holy Land, to free Jerusalem.” Frederick nodded. A very quiet child, thought Henry. Must take after his father.

“Are you going with them?” asked Frederick. Already Henry could tell his child was going to do marvelous things.

“Perhaps, Frederick. The rebellion by the Saracens in Sicily has been suppressed, and Markwood and your mother are in charge.” Well, Markwood was also going to keep an eye on Constance, but no sense worrying the boy. He would worry enough, when he grew up.

[1] There’s also a sixth question, asking if the Emperor will pay due submission to the Roman pontiff, which I felt didn’t quite fit.

[2 Well, often enough to suit Henry’s purposes anyway.

[3 I’m in the camp that leans towards senility in Celestine more than the moderating voice.

Faeelin

Banned
“Lignum cruces, signum ducis, sequitur exercitus”
“The banner of the chieftain marches in the strength of the Holy Spirit”- Crusader song.

Egypt, November, 1197.

“The Franks are back,” said one of the servants. Al-Adel nodded. With his brother’s empire falling apart, it wasn’t surprising that they’d try to restore their Kingdom. And already Beirut and Sidon had fallen. They’d even sent a message.

“I, Henry VI, Emperor of the Romans, King of Sicily, and ruler of Christendom, come thee now with a warning. You have taken from us the most Holy City of Jerusalem, and parts of the sacred true cross. Return to us the Kingdom and the Cross, and we shall leave in peace. If you do not, then pray to your idols, for you shall meet them shortly.”

And on and on. He was almost as bad as Malik Ric had been. Then again, his army was just as large.

Tibnine, January, 1198

The defeated Saracens walked out of the gates, defeated and forlorn. The Saracens were weary and demoralized, he could tell; there’d apparently been a civil war in their lands when Saladin died. He thanked God that nothing like that would happen when his son took the throne. In fact, it was beginning to look like hi son would be the king of Jerusalem. Princess Maria was a few years older than Frederick, but what of it? He could always remarry if she died giving birth.

“Rise and shine O Jerusalem, for the Prince of Peace is come”-The Coronation Mass of the Emperor

Jaffa, March, 1198

With the fall of Tibnine (Tiberias), the Imperial army garrisoned the city and prepared to march south. Although the casualties were great, there was little opposition. God had smiled upon them, weakening the infidel in his civil wars. True, they had suffered; there had been dysentery, and there had been little water, but that was in the past.

Henry, at this point, decided that, having the Sicilian navy in tow, he may as well get some use out of it, and they advanced down the coast towards Jaffa, from which point they would head east to Jaffa, a key Saracen seaport. Taking it, as the local magnates told Henry, would mean that Al-Adel would not be able to communicate properly with his lands in the Kingdom. It was, however, a mighty city, with two walls, fifty-three towers, and strong ramparts.

Al-Adel, meanwhile, facing opposition in his own ranks, decided that he had to defeat the Franks quickly. The Battle of Ascalon would be the largest battle of what would be known as the Imperial Crusade.

At the battle of Ascalon, the sea protected the rear of the Christians, and Al-Adel decided to use his numerical superiority to smash them from all sides. The army was gradually pushed closer and closer together, and the Archbishop of Mainz wrote that “Our people, so few in numbers, were hemmed in by the hordes of the Arabs. They were shut in, like a flock of sheep in the jaws of wolves.”

Word was sent to Henry that the lines could not hold, and they implored for a breakout. Henry refused. His left flank bore the brunt of the attack, compressing towards the center. Finally, in the battle that would earn him the name “The Wise” .

Al-Adel would, according to chronicles, realize what was going on, but too late. The spark came from Frederick of Austria, who rushed through the infantry and at the attackers. Instantly, so did the rest of the army. As if on cue, the infantry line parted in the center, and the cavalry charge became general.

The Muslim ranks collapsed in general confusion and terror. Many of the Muslim attackers had dismounted to press their advantage, and were cut down. Henry, declaring “Adjuva nos, Deus!” [4] joined the fray. As the Muslim retreat turned into a rout, Al-Adel attempted to berate and stop his soldiers from fleeing.

By nightfall, the route was complete. Al-Adel lost over seven thousand dead and two dozen emirs, and Henry had lost only a few more than five hundred.

The road to Ascalon was open.

[4] Essentially, God help us.

Faeelin

Banned
Knight Of Armenia said:
Excellent, Scott. By all means, keep going. I'll have more comments after a while, LOL.

You know, of course, that Cilicia is a vassal of the Emperor, so I'm sure you will.
:cool:

I'm curious as to whether people see Prince of Peace and think this is about Jesus, aren't interested, or don't know what the hell's going on.

Well, when I first saw this, I thought it was a reference to Jesus. But I'm in the "what the hell is going on" category. :D

But I like it so far. Very interesting time period you chose. It seems there is an attempt on this website to find more obscure ATLs, different from your average Civil War or World War II POD. Speaking of which, what exactly is the POD? Or do you want us to find out for ourselves?

Faeelin

Banned
PM Nixon said:
Well, when I first saw this, I thought it was a reference to Jesus. But I'm in the "what the hell is going on" category. :D

But I like it so far. Very interesting time period you chose. It seems there is an attempt on this website to find more obscure ATLs, different from your average Civil War or World War II POD. Speaking of which, what exactly is the POD? Or do you want us to find out for ourselves?

What Happened: In the Holy Roman Empire, the Hohenstaufens saw it reach its apogee. Under Barbarossa, the Empire added Burgundy to its domain, and tried to restore order over the Lombard Leagues, while centralizing his nation. Barbarossa did a decent job, but his son Henry VI did it one step better.

Henry VI was the true father of Frederick II. When Richard traveled through the empire on his way back from the crusade, Henry VI imprisoned him, got a king’s ransom that bankrupted England, and made England a vassal.

He then used that money to conquer Sicily, and tried to consolidate the empire under his dynasty. His effort to set up a hereditary monarchy failed OTL, and he died in 1197 from disease. Here he succeeds, as the Archbishop of Cologne dies (a strong opponent of his) and butterflies keep him alive.

Thus, Henry VI, the man who wanted to conquer Byzantium, sets off on a crusade.

Fascinating indeed!! This will have some far-reaching effects on European, and eventually world, history. So, how far do you want to take this timeline?

Faeelin

Banned
PM Nixon said:
Fascinating indeed!! This will have some far-reaching effects on European, and eventually world, history. So, how far do you want to take this timeline?

I don't know, yet. Maybe up to when the Hohenstaufen Emperor in Constantinople joins the Crusaders from Cilicia and Egypt to beat up the turks. (That's just for John, incidentally).

Faeelin

Banned
Okay, the answer was poison.

Rome, July, 1198

At Rome I heard lying
and the betrayal of two kings.
From that arose the greatest strife
that ever was or will be.
-Walter Von Vogelweide.

As usual, the Cardinals were arguing. Innocent III was getting rather tired of this, and it was important to focus on the crux of the matter.

“Henry VI is a threat to the Church. Bad enough dealing with an Emperor, when we could play off the Normans against him, and vice versa. Now we have an Emperor who’s also the king of Sicily. And in the Holy Land, where he’s been given the title “Defender of Jerusalem” by the Queen. And who has gotten the German nobles to declare the Hohenstaufens the dynastic rulers of the Empire.”

Innocent’s nephew, the count of Segni [5] picked up a letter. “It’s been clear for some time that a few of the German nobles have begun to realize that they are now landlords for the Emperor and are, quite frankly, not happy.”

“Now, it’s quite obvious that it should be possible to incite the Welfs to revolt against their Emperor. But the rest of Germany might prove more difficult, especially as Frederick II has already been crowned King of the Romans.”

“If, on the other hand, rumors began to spread that Henry was dead…”[6].

Brunswick, July, 1198

“We all acknowledged Henry as our Emperor, true enough, and we all acknowledged his father’s wishes.” The minnesangers were recording this, so that this could become a heroic epic for the princes of Germany.

“But word has reached our ears that the Emperor has died upon the crusade. Should we place a child above our heads? Should a mere child become our Emperor?” Otto of Brunswick smiled. He knew he had the support of his Uncle Richard, who had just defeated Phillip Augustus in Normandy again. He knew he could count on Ottokar’s support as well. The Pope was encouraging him; Innocent was the one who had sent word of Henry’s death, and why would a Pope lie?

Jerusalem, November 1198

The entrance of a Crusader army into Jerusalem, almost ten years after the city fell, was not to be a sack. It could not be, for, after all, Henry had taken the city without a struggle.

With the fall of Ascalon, Al-Adel was trapped in the Levant, away from his lands in Egypt. His lands to the east, Henry had heard, were ruined and trampled underfoot. Al-Adel’s reinforcements came from Egypt, as did most of his supplies. Therefore, as Henry had guessed, Al-Adel had given up. In return for the Kingdom of Jerusalem to the Jordan River, Ascalon would be an unfortified city in Christian hands. A tough bargain, to be sure, but when the alternative was losing your throne and having rebels take what belonged to you, there wasn’t much of a choice.

Pondering on that, Henry felt sympathy for Adel, something that he would have never thought would happen. He too, had troubles at home. But the sight of the Holy City repaid it all.

[5] Dear readers may know him as Gregory IX.

[6] This is closely based on Gregory IX’s strategy in the 1220’s, when Frederick went to save Jerusalem.

Faeelin

Banned
Edit: Add this to the scene in Rome.

Gregory nodded. "We should also consider the obvious. Alexander III clearly pointed out that the Empire could be transferred from one power to another. Succession and the Empire are matters for the Pope, since Leo III transferred the office to the west. It may very well be possible to transfer the Empire back to the Greeks if they return to the fold; or even to another monarch entirely[7]".

[7] This doctrine, that the pope could transfer the Empire, was proposed in 119, 1200, and 1203 by the Pope in an Empire wracked by civil war.

Do people wish for Richard I, Emperor of the West?

Faeelin

Banned
December, Palermo, 1198.

"This other radiance that shows itself
to you at my right hand, a brightness kindled
by all the light that fills our heaven…
This is the splendor of the great Costanza,
who from the Swabians' second gust engendered
the one who was their third and final power.”- Dante’s Paradise

Constance was dying. Oh, the doctors, even the Jewish ones, still thought she might live, but she could tell. Her time was drawing nigh.

In her lucid moments, she wondered what would happen to her kingdom. Constantine (Frederick would always be Constantine to her) was now the King of the Romans. Sicily was swarming with Germans, and her husband was away in Jerusalem. What could the future hold for her son?

It was then that Constance had her vision of her son’s future. She would die, as the legends say, with a smile, and uttering the word, “Constantine, Imperium, Rome.”

Faeelin

Banned
March, Ascalon, 1199.

Henry stood on a galley off of Ascalon, at long last ready to return to Germany. He had much to deal with; maintaining order in Sicily, removing the Welfs, and ensuring the defense of Jerusalem. He should really discuss that with the pope. Surely innocent would agree that it was just to take a portion of the Church’s imperial revenues to defend the Holy Sepulchre?

And, had not the Pope promised to defend the lands of crusaders? Surely he would no doubt condemn. Otto’s action, and excommunicate the rebels against the emperor[9]. By the time Frederick was Emperor, Germany would be as centralized as England, hopefully.

The mention of Frederick turned the Emperor’s mind to Constance. (The Emperor’s true feelings towards her are never recorded, but his foundation of a hospital in Jerusalem was made in her memory, and the name of his second son, give an impression of his feelings towards her)

As he waited for the ship to leave, Henry looked across the water. Ascalon would be a new thing. It would not have a Pisan quarter, or a Genoese, but an imperial one. Venice, which boasted of being independent, was not permitted, but the great maritime cities would find access to the greatest port in the east contingent upon loyalty to their Emperor.

How long Henry gazed at the port he could not say, for he was startled when Isabella came up behind him. He really had to treat her with more respect, for she mourned too. Her husband had died recently as well.

“Do no worry, my Empress. Together we shall make a new beginning.” Henry looked to the northwest, where Byzantium still lay.

“For all of Christendom.”

[8] A more cynical generation would say sickness inspired delusion, but hers wouldn’t.

[9] Henry suspects papal support for Otto, but can’t prove it.

It's been a while since I've read about Europe in this period of history. I need to go back and brush up on what actually happened before I can come up with any useful comments.

Faeelin said:
no thoughts?
I'm having the same problem as Paul; I'm all that informed on this particular periode in time, but that said I find it quite interesting! I'd like to see more, and of course, where it leads! :)

Best regards!

- Bluenote.

Mr.Bluenote said:
I'm having the same problem as Paul; I'm all that informed on this particular periode in time, but that said I find it quite interesting! I'd like to see more, and of course, where it leads! :)

Best regards!

- Bluenote.
Ditto. Looks good.

Faeelin

Banned
Mr.Bluenote said:

Best regards!

- Bluenote.

Ideally? To trhe cilician/sicilian/german sacking of constantinople. :cool:

Faeelin said:
Ideally? To trhe cilician/sicilian/german sacking of constantinople. :cool:

Ouch, that's to bad! I've allways felt that the sack of Constantinoble was a great shame... Hm, I guess I have a soft spot for Byzans (Oh my goodness, I have something in common with Pasha :p).

Anyway, I think I'll head for the library today to pick up something about this historical periode...

Oh, and I of course meant, that I was NOT all that informed... Ooops! :)

Best regards!

- Mr.Bluenote.

Faeelin

Banned
“The Lord Jesus Christ has set up one ruler over all things as His universal vicar, and as all things in heaven, earth and hell bow the knee to Christ, so should all obey Christ's vicar, that there be one flock and one shepherd”-Innocent III.

Romagna, March, 1199

Markward von Anweiler laughed at the two legates. “The Pope feels that I am on Papal lands? Since when has he had been the lord of Spoleto or Romagna? I hold these lands as a servant of the Emperor! Perhaps you wish to dispute this with the Defender of Jerusalem?”

“If he will agree, then I will of course obey the Emperor. But until then, I shall defend these lands with my life.”

Assisi, April, 1199

The city of Assisi had never been a bastion of Imperial support, despite its German overlords. Which, thought Innocent, made its celebration rather disturbing.

Throughout his procession through Italy, the Emperor had been treated to tournaments, prayers of thanks, offers of homage, and feats. Palermo had been festooned with silken banners with the Hohenstaufen heraldry, and that was a city the Hohenstaufens had conquered! Assisi had declared forty days of rejoicing for the victory, and the fact that the Emperor had returned with a piece of the True Cross made it all the more remarkable[11]. Even Alessandria, built to oppose the Emperors, was sending him offers of praise. What was next? Would Milan ask for a German podesta?

Innocent noticed a change in the crowd. Even where he was sitting, on a stand above the street, he could feel the ripple of excitement. The parade was finally finishing up, and Henry was stepping off of his horse.

The crowd went wild for the Emperor of Rome.

Two days later, after the inevitable prayers of thanks, in which Innocent stressed God’s part in the salvation of the Holy Sepulchre, he and Henry finally met [11].

It was Henry who began the talks. “Ironic, is it not, that when the Kings of France and England crusade, the infidel keeps Jerusalem, yet when the emperor does so, he succeeds? Would you not agree that it is a sign of God’s favor for the Empire?”

“I think,” said Innocent, “that it is a sign of his favor towards all of Christendom. Which is led by the Pope, who guards the souls of man.”

“But is not the Empire necessary? Who can defend the Church but the Emperor?”

“The church, of course. The emperor only derives his power from the splendor and dignity of the Pope, just as the moon derives its light from the sun. The church made the Empire.” And, thought Innocent, could break it, if it came to that.

[10] Or so the Saracens say. Given that the Saracens don’t believe that Jesus was killed on the Cross, future historians will wonder if it’s a forgery.

[11] Note that Innocent is in a rather weak position. It wasn’t until Henry died that Innocent received homage from the Prefect of Rome and the Senate. Much of Central Italy is still under Imperial control as well.