Your region in Dies the Fire?

Sorry mate that has been put down by the author, the Amish are spread out across Penn, New Jersey, and Delaware. But they are in the middle of the dead zone, and when you think of farmers in America, who do you think of? The Amish or Menonites. Plus their wedged in bewteen Pittsburgh and Philie, with New York to the North. Maybe you can get an isolated Amish family somewhere in Delaware or Ex-Amish that have moved somewhere else.

The Amish in the East are SOL. The Amish in Iowa and WI most likely fare better.

on from the mainland, the Island of Jeju stands a good chance of survival...

Europe: Corsica, Sardinia, and the Balearics all stand good chances of surviving. In the case of Italy I'd wager that Sardinia is far more likely to survive than Sicily.

IIRC The Balearics don't survive, because the high amount of tourists there. I can't remember hearing about Corsica or Sardinia though.

Let's see...on 3/17/1998 I lived in Anaheim, California. I'll go down fighting after I've eaten the last of my canned goods and my cockatiel but I fully expect to be devoured by the strongest of a group of Mickey Mouse Ear-wearing Eaters...

I'll bet you that at least a few Japanese survived though, mainly on Shikoku (which is still mostly rural) and on the Ryukyus (Okinawa is toast, but the others have small enough populations that they might be able to pull through. Assuming they can fish.) Honshu and Kyushu are utterly toast; Hokkaido probably is (although again, Hokkaido is a heavily agricultural region, so the areas not immediately swamped by the populations of Sapporo and Hakodate might pull through).

If the city government of Sapporo (or a strongman who can supplant them as Arminger did in Portland) acts quickly they can impound as much food as possible at the port. That'll keep people eating (albeit not much) until a better plan can be put together.

The Seikan Tunnel has flooded without electricity to run the pumps, so there will be no refugees from the other islands. Hokkaido's pretty rugged and mostly national park land, so even if the population disperses the farms on the island shouldn't be overwhelmed too badly (and given the weather that time of year, most of the vulnerable will probably end up dying of exposure long before hunger sets in).

Many, many people will die but enough will survive to allow Japanese culture to carry on, and eventually the rest of the Home Islands could be repopulated from Hokkaido. Arminger's Japanese analogue could easily set himself up as a latter-day Shogun. :D

Many, many people will die but enough will survive to allow Japanese culture to carry on, and eventually the rest of the Home Islands could be repopulated from Hokkaido. Arminger's Japanese analogue could easily set himself up as a latter-day Shogun. :D
That would actually be a fun and interesting story to see.

I've speculated some about how long it would take for people in the more isolated North Norwegian villages to realize what had happened.

I've speculated some about how long it would take for people in the more isolated North Norwegian villages to realize what had happened.

I figure some of the really remote places where there are no cars and few or none cars that it would take a long time.

Other than a few minor communities in coastal Louisiana and Maine/New Brunswick nothing effectively survived east the Mississippi in the US. Except for cannibals and the 'Nantucket Anamoly'.

cue eerie music

Prince Edward Island was the only major Canadian population center to survive east of the Mississippi. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland were wiped out, based on Stirling's estimate of the local (lack of)ability to feed themselves.

which isn't necessarily correct but that's canon in his books

Apparently Sardinia and Corsica did not survive, Sicily DID survive but Stirling hinted broadly that something was going on which was less than pleasant to explain why Sicily made it.

Northern Scandinavia came through and by Change Year 10 a union of the surviving Scandinavians known as Scandia has formed, added 60-70K Icelanders to their own 250K+ survivors and arranged for (former) Germany to be added to their holdings with the English.

The Southwest including Tucson became an unrivalled dead zone because the water supply was lost when the Hoover Dam and associated projects failed almost instantly.

You can access the opening chapters to the first six books in the series at this website, along with much else: http://web.telia.com/~u54504162/scifi/index.htm

Other than a few minor communities in coastal Louisiana and Maine/New Brunswick nothing effectively survived east the Mississippi in the US. Except for cannibals and the 'Nantucket Anamoly'.

cue eerie music

Prince Edward Island was the only major Canadian population center to survive east of the Mississippi. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland were wiped out, based on Stirling's estimate of the local (lack of)ability to feed themselves.

Makes sense though too. Halifax is a major city not on the scale of say Toronto or Vancouver. And it is on a island. And I doubt that much of the fishing fleet is sail or oar powered. Which kinda sucks if the folks on Newfoundland and Nova Scotia had some wind powered boats they might have survived, albeit barely. Both St. John's and Halifax have major airports so any planeloads of people mean more mouths to feed. Still with just a little more food or a few less mouths too feed both of those places would have made it.

which isn't necessarily correct but that's canon in his books

Apparently Sardinia and Corsica did not survive, Sicily DID survive but Stirling hinted broadly that something was going on which was less than pleasant to explain why Sicily made it.

Northern Scandinavia came through and by Change Year 10 a union of the surviving Scandinavians known as Scandia has formed, added 60-70K Icelanders to their own 250K+ survivors and arranged for (former) Germany to be added to their holdings with the English.

The Southwest including Tucson became an unrivalled dead zone because the water supply was lost when the Hoover Dam and associated projects failed almost instantly.

You can access the opening chapters to the first six books in the series at this website, along with much else: http://web.telia.com/~u54504162/scifi/index.htm
Response in bold.

Realistically, what happens in the Emberverse and what would really happen are probably two different things. Sure, in the book, 2/3 of the country, including everything east of the Mississippi, is a dead zone. If you look at it, Mississippi has as much farmland as Oregon and less of it requires irrigation. Same with Alabama. Half of Stirling's "dead zone" is among the best land in the nation that doesn't require pumped irrigation. Yes, the Williamette valley is good land, but it's not like it's the only place like it. So, don't despair if you aren't good friends with a wiccan in the Pacific Northwest.

Personally, I give myself from 1 chance in 4 to about 1 in 100, depending on where I am in the state (i.e., my distance from Atlanta) at the time. I do have to guiltily admit the series got me to buy a book on italian longsword to go with my longsword, and to practice my horsemanship and recurve bow a bit more. And take up homebrewing. Been working on that a lot. All I have to do is learn a little blacksmithing, and I'll be indispensable when an ex-marine wearing a tanned bearskull finds the wife and I on horseback outside a refugee camp on the way out of town.

My family was vacationing in Nantucket on the very day the Change/ISOT happened, so we'd actually be a part of the Republic of Nantucket.

How Middletown, Ohio would handle it...I don't know. I moved away from there when I was thirteen, in 2000, and I don't remember much. I do believe it was near one of the farming areas of Ohio, however. It's a town that lies between Cincinnati and Dayton.

I don't know how Vermont would do. Even though in most parts it isn't very densely populated I think that many refugees would come from Mass., Conn., NY, etc. Maybe I could live off berries in the wilderness.

Question?

I haven't read this book, but I think I get the gist of the change.

My question is, how do I get out of this? I live only about 20 miles out of Madison, WI but I'm in a small town of under 12k with at least 50+ acres of corn and livestock farming within less than an hour's walk. Also, I live equally close to several smaller rivers, we also have our own well(although I'm not sure how that would help, except that I can reach the water with a bucket and long enough thing of rope, which I have.) I also have a decent amount of deers and turkeys which live nearby my back yard and a bow with which to hunt them.

If it weren't for the hordes that could come from Madison I would think I could do very well, but I'm unsure about that point. How badly would Madison be affected? It's surrounded by agricultural areas and isn't huge by any measure plus it's located on several lakes. On the other hand, I could easily picture starving Milwaukee and Chicago refugees invading the area for food.

So, am I screwed? or could I survive?

Lets see, well since I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, things would be pretty well off loooots of farms......untill the hoards of pillagers and cannibals come over from the Western Shore and New Jersey for all of our and eat-kills their way down the Delmarva.
Luckily, civilization survives with the Watermen, otherwise known as the Bay Tribe-Fleets. They take to the Bay waters and hide amongst the Islands and inlets amongst the Chesapeake Bay. Coming out after the first year to wage a bloody campaign against the Neo-Savages to reclaim parts of the Eastern Shore and colonize the Baltimore ruins.

Riain

Banned
Since I last put my 2 cents into this old thread my brother has bought a house in a tiny town which would be perfect to head to. It is beyond 200 miles from Melbourne so won't get overrun, is self sufficient for water and had a wood stove with integrated hot water service. It is on 1/2 an acre and has 20 mature fruit trees. It would take about 4 days to ride there on pushbike. Not much I admit, but with that and my experience on farms I could avoid being on the bottom of the pile after the dying time.

I was living in Istanbul in 1998, but at the exact time of the change I might have been in Bodrum (On the Turkish Aegean coast,) or Cyprus, don't remember.

I think I'm toasted in any way, Except maybe if I play my cards very carefully in Cyprus.

I was in Kirovsk, Luhansk region of Ukraine, in 1998. As it is small mining town situated between at least three large cities, and lands around it are mostly badlands/dry steppe... Well, I would be dead.

Well, it being St Paddy's Day* I was most likely washing down a Corn Beef and Cabbage dinner with a pint of Guinness or Smithwicks. The location, http://www.tgskenosha.com/ About 30miles/50km south of Milwaukee and 60 miles/100km north of Chicago. What the weather was, I have no idea. But I suspect that weighed down by my wife and children I suspect we don't make it. But the area won't be quite the dead zone that the books make it out to be. Still quite a bit of farming in the area and good side parks for community gardens

*something that never gets mentioned

Bumping this because I've made an interesting observation. Porto Alegre has quite intriguing chances in the Emberverse. The city is built on the delta of five different navigable rivers that meet to flow into a freshwater lake (also easily navigable by almost any ship). Surrounding the city (and indeed, within the metro area) are abundant self-sufficient farming ventures which export most of their food through Porto Alegre, as does most of the rest of Rio Grande do Sul. The result? At any given moment, Porto Alegre has warehouses full of agricultural produce ready to be shipped overseas. With 4 million people, the area's still going to take a heavy hit, but the city's agricultural production will alleviate some of the starvation. Failing that, the lake that Porto Alegre is right next to is fairly fertile in terms of fish and waterfowl (it is called the Lake of the Ducks, after all).