Your place on tilted Earths...

What does your place look like on a titled Earth?

• Total voters
Since there has been a lot of attention to the tilted Earth's from the World Dream Bank lately, in particular due to Thande's Seapole World Map thread, I thought it might be interesting to ask this. What does your place look like on titlted Earths?

In my case, things look like this:

Seapole - Germany is located near the equator, and I'm inside a tropical jungle.

Shiveria - Now Germany is located again near the equator, but with this being Shiveria, it is a dry steppe.

Jaredia - Although Germany is now located at an approximately similar latitude, yet it's upside down because the North Pole is over Africa, and I'm sitting inside a boreal forest.

Turnovia - I'm now sitting on exactly the same latitude as real life, but on the wrong hemisphere. As a result, I'm sitting in a boreal forest climate (again!), similar to the Russian Far East.

So, basically, wherever I go, real life Earth is - peculiar enough - for my location paradoxially turns out as the nicest place. On the bright side, none of these places is really nasty.

So, what's your place like on a tilted Earth? :)

Let's see, since it actually does mention the are I live down to a local/regional level I'll use that.

Seapole:
The Puget Sound is located North of the Tropic of Cancer and has a wet, subtropical climate similar to OTL Southern China.

Shiveria:
Now it's located half way between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Equator, however it has a temperate climate with woodland
with huge trees and snow fed lakes and rivers, all in all not to terribly different from OTL.

Jaredia:
Again, the Puget Sound is located half way between the Equator and Tropic of Capricorn, however the climate is somewhat cooler
and probably closer to the climate mid-way up a mountain.

Turnovia:
Since it's just the world turned over I'm now where I am IOTL, but in the South instead of North.
Climatically their's not alot different from OTL with the exception of alot of mountain snow pack.

So all in all in 3/4 of cases things really don't change much for my area.

Seapole: I live on an island of tropical jungle, close to the equator. Bah! Alas, my poor lobster-pink skin!

Shiveria: Scotland is on the fringe of the great European steppe, but with some forestation. A bit like Ethiopia? I wouldn't mind that.

Jaredia: "Somber and wooded". I reckoned us as drier and colder, but not by much: we're near our original latitude, and generally aren't too unfamiliar. Jolly good!

Turnovia: The Highlands are permenantly glaciated, but I'm privelaged to inhabit a bleak, empy tundra. Oh, dear.

Yep, Our Earth's Scotland is the place for me! :D

Last edited:
Seapole: The East Coast is close to the Equator, which means much warmer and wetter. Sounds pretty good, though I would miss snow.

Shiveria: New England and points south is described as like northern Canada, which I take to mean cold, dry tundra. Brrrr....

Jaredia: The East Coast is described as having coral reefs and pleasant subtropical woods, so it would be slightly warmer and wetter, probably like the South. OK, I guess.

Turnovia: The East Coast is described as Mediterranean, which is warmer but not wetter. Sounds good to me.

Seapole: Located much closer to the equator and south of it now, but still right snug up next to the Rockies. Likely climate would be similar to Kenya and the African highlands.

Shiveria: I'm about on the Tropic of Capricorn in Shiveria, and the High Plains become a vast savanna. But at the foothills of the Rockies the rain shadow is probably still in effect.

Jaredia: The area north of the Rockies in Totolia forms a forested plain here. This time, it's Utah that is more like East Africa.

Turnovia:
Once again, the Rockies are like East Africa. The Plains near the rivers would be much more fertile though, so that's good.

Pretty much everywhere, the Great Basin turns into the Great Lakes region of Africa so just on the other side of the Rockies becomes like the East African highlands.

Well, apart from the fact that my actual house is probably flooded on Seapole, the Midlands of the UK basically have the same situation as Germany in the OP.

Well, apart from the fact that my actual house is probably flooded on Seapole, the Midlands of the UK basically have the same situation as Germany in the OP.

This is an issue that I didn't quite consider with the poll - namely that certain places could very well be actually uninhabitable on a tilted Earth - either due to being below sea level or due to being under a glacier. :eek:

In so far, I'd rather prefer frosty boreal forests, steaming jungles and scorched savannahs over being buried under a glacier... :p

What's also interesting is that there's many people who'd live in warmer climate on Shiveria, which is diametrically opposed to it's name. ;)

Lets see, in Seapole we seem to be flooded. In Shiveria, I luckily end up in 'The Abyss'. Turnovia- huh, not on the map, again, surprisingly. :rolleyes: And in Jaredia, some kind of glorified iceberg-on-rock, or an extension of the polar ice cap. No thanks, I think I'll remain how I am.

Well, I live in north Florida.

Seapole: Coral reef.

Shiveria: Grassy area bordering boreal forest.

Jaredia: Coastal rain forest.

Turnovia: Southern California/Mediterranean.

It goes from bad to normal.

I don't want to live underwater or in cold, so it's Jaredia or Turnovia. Since I'm used to the humidity, Jaredia is the most like home.

Jerk has stuff to say on the climate of California, Utah, even Nevada on occasion: never has anything to say on my state. Frankly, nothing too interesting ever seems to happen in New Mexico...

Bruce

FDW

Banned
San Francisco doesn't change that much, although it's gets warmer in each of Wayan's earth's.

What northern Texas would look like in these places.................

Seapole-Warmer + Wetter: I'm only maybe 7 or 8 parallels south of the Equator. Yikes.

Shiveria-Colder + Drier: I've never liked the cold all that much, but I have always wanted to know what it'd be like living in a reverse Canada of sorts. :D

Turnovia-Warmer + Drier: I imagined it'd be like the Argentinean Pampas.........but with a little more desert, it seems.

Jaredia- Cooler + Wetter: It's actually a little cooler there in Jaredia, than in OTL, but much wetter.

And as for the last category of answers:

Yes, I'd like living at my place in Shiveria.
Yes, I'd like living at my place in Jaredia.

FDW

Banned
San Francisco doesn't change that much, although it's gets warmer in each of Wayan's earth's.

Continuing from previous post, what city San Francisco would look like in:

Seapole: Despite all the sea level rise, San Francisco Bay would look fairly recognizable because of the high, rugged hills that ring the OTL bay, causing it look a lot like OTL Hong Kong, especially given the climate.

Shiveria: With the Sea levels dropping so much, San Francisco Bay would become a Grassy valley surrounded by more wooded hills, best guess, Algiers.

Turnovia: The Sea level's are lower than OTL, but not enough to drain the bay completely in the deeper northern half (though the shallower south is dry land.), so given the climate I'd say, Jacksonville.

Jaredia: Again the Sea Levels lower to turn whole bay into a valley but one somewhat warmer and wetter than in Shiveria, I'd say Los Angeles here.

Seapole: Large flatlands, just north of what would be the Rockies.

Shiveria: Savannas, or possible just some large plains...

Turnovia: Desert, with rivers nearby pumping north into the Gulf.

Jaredia: Rain forest, with subtropical forest just to my north!

Seapole - Just north of the equator. Doesn't really matter considering I am under water, and my home is replaced by coral reef.

Shiveria - Well, now its cold. Really cold. But out of all the worlds I'd prefer living in this one, I think it seems slightly bearable. Cool thing is now instead of having Cubans come to America on raft's, they come on sleds during the winter.

Turnovia - Here my home's a dry scrub, with the Everglades being an oasis. Too hot for met.

Jaredia - You know, now that I think about it, sure it'd be hot, and sure im in a jungle, but hey I could probably dig it in this world. Just go to the beaches all year long.

Let's see, since it actually does mention the are I live down to a local/regional level I'll use that.

Seapole:
The Puget Sound is located North of the Tropic of Cancer and has a wet, subtropical climate similar to OTL Southern China.

Shiveria:
Now it's located half way between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Equator, however it has a temperate climate with woodland
with huge trees and snow fed lakes and rivers, all in all not to terribly different from OTL.

Jaredia:
Again, the Puget Sound is located half way between the Equator and Tropic of Capricorn, however the climate is somewhat cooler
and probably closer to the climate mid-way up a mountain.

Turnovia:
Since it's just the world turned over I'm now where I am IOTL, but in the South instead of North.
Climatically their's not alot different from OTL with the exception of alot of mountain snow pack.

So all in all in 3/4 of cases things really don't change much for my area.
Well, none of those places are probably as grey as we are.

What is quite interesting is that although there's quite a few places on Seapole which are actually considerably colder than their real world equivalent (contrary to the general tendency that Seapole is quite similar to Dubya with it's glawbul wahming in many respects), none of the AH.commers who voted thus far seem to live there. ;)