WI: Rick Perry remained a Democrat?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Emperor Norton I, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Emperor Norton I Calbear's Love Child

What if Rick Perry had not swapped party and remained a Democrat?

2. Nazi Space Spy Well-Known Member

You need to keep Democrats conservative until he reaches national prominence. Maybe Lloyd Bentsen is on the top of the ticket in 88, still losses, but does better then Dukakis. Around 1990 Perry can run for Congress, and the Dems can take any path they want. Perry will remain loyal to the Democrats once established, and could rise further to the Senate etc.

3. JoeMulk Banned

he'd eventually end up as another Zell Miller

4. Catmo Well-Known Member

Perry is a crazy man who will go wherever the winds blow. If he sticks with Gore and Richards wins as in OTL and he falls in with Harold Washington and Shelia Jackson-Lee> I can see him running the Richards campaign against W.

There is no inside to Rick Perry. He could easily have become anything. I can see him becoming a mostly liberal opponent to Chisum and Heflin in the "prick to touch an asshole" legislative revision that could have totally prevented Lawrence vs Texas case.

Just remember. There is no epistemic inside to Rick Perry. He is a mindless hollow shell with great cunning.

5. TNF Well-Known Member

Perry sticks with the Democratic Party, becoming a sort of Clintonian-style centrist with some socially conservative positions?

He'd probably still be in the Texas legislature. Maybe as Minority Leader or something by now?

6. Bulletsfromthegrassyknoll Banned

He'd be a "Conservative Democrat", the opposite of a blue dog. Socially conservative, fiscally close to the center.