WI: Polyperchon I

What if Polyperchon(Antipater's initial successor) became regent for Alexander IV and defeated Cassander. I think that this would mean the Argead line holds onto Macedon at least, albeit losing most of the empire. Another possible course is that Polyperchon&Olympias try to conquer the entire empire and are killed, with Alexander IV later being murdered. In such a scenario, Cassander could become Basileus of Macedon( if he's still alive;) and there would be little real difference from OTL.

Last edited:
How does Polyperchon become Alexander IV's regent? There's really no chance he gets the signet ring over Perdiccas (or Ptolemy for that matter, also an extremely close friend of Alexander) and without the signet ring he can't really be made the regent. Not to mention, isn't he with Craterus at Alexander's death marching back to Macedon? The other generals would never even think about allowing him to be regent of Alexander.

Polyperchon was regent, appointed by his predecessor, Antipater, on the latter's deathbed. (source: Diodorus Siculus). I assume Antipater already possessed the necessary indicia of authority since he had been accepted by the generals, and he did have custody of the kings.

If he eliminates Cassander, the manoevering for allies among the Diadochi is still going to happen, with who-knows-what butterflies in the details. Main difference -- Alexander IV has a better chance of survival with Polyperchon as regent than he did with Cassander.