WI: Easternizations?

Someone mentioned an interesting idea in the westernizing China thread: that Europe and the Middle East become Easternized! So, tell me, my AH co-philosophers, tell me, how could this happen and what would it look like?

Depends what you mean and to what extent. Enlightenment philosophers like Voltaire was a great advocate of the Chinese meritocratic bureaucracy. In his time European political life was controlled by the aristocracy and the clergy and he was a great admirer of China's imperial examination and commoner staffed bureaucracy.

Voltaire saw in Confucianism a parallel moral philosophy which proved human morality was universal and not bestowed by the church. The Confucian admonition to "do not do unto others as you would not have them do unto you" for example echoed the Golden Rule of Christianity. Whereas the Christian church taught men were born without morals and were only civilized by organized religion, the Chinese believed men were born good and corrupted by their surroundings. The process of moral cultivation was seen as a highly personal and secular matter.

This naturally held attraction for enlightenment thinkers at the time, and arguably Europeans did "Easternize" to some degree.

Nihao

Banned
Have the Qin unable to unite China and the various Chinese states competing each other economically and militarily, eventually lead to modernization after centuries of technological advancements inspired by the competitions, which made the Chinese state(or countries)able to spread the Chinese culture to the world. In the other words, just reverse the Chinese history to the European ones.

It is just a brief idea came out of my head actually, and I remember that someone did made a timeline for this topic on Althist Wikia, which is called "Easternization".

Actually, with a fairly late PoD -- Oda Nobunaga lives longer, establishes a shogunate that doesn't stifle the merchant class, or their development of *capitalism* -- you could have proto-industrialization in Japan in the 17th Century, spreading to perhaps Korea and maybe China. From there, it's no stretch to imagine other countries to the west imitating their uniquely developed approach to modernity.

Depends on what extent you mean by the very term "Eastern"; even though the eastern half of Eurasia is vast and in many ways more diverse than the Western half (e.g. Islam and Christianity are more similar than Hinduism and Confucianism, for example), it seems that you were .

Also, do you mean adopting to a greater or lesser extent much of the main parts of an entire cultural package of "mother civilization" - as Japan, Korea and Vietnam did with the cultural package of the Chinese, or the rest of Southeast Asia (besides Vietnam) did with India? Or do you mean just selectively adopting certain aspects of culture, government, economy, technology or what have you? Both seem feasible for a rather wide swath of time, given the West's or the Middle East's less advanced nature when compared with India or China, from the Fall of Rome to the Enlightenment or the Industrial Revolution even for the former or several periods, the last (before Western Industrialization) being after the sack of Baghdad.

Given your original post, and the fact that I know more about Chinese history than India for the most part, I will stick with China.

The most obvious is the Song having an industrial revolution before the Mongols can occupy China; if this path is taken, it becomes more a question of how long it would take China to inherit the Earth rather than a question of cultural diffusion, given this ATL China's incredible lead on everyone else and the fact that, unlike the OTL West's New Imperialism, they are completely unified under one strong, central government that would by this point easily overshadow the British Empire at its height in all major areas of civilization and development.

Another possibility is to have the Ming Voyages of Zheng He carry on (perhaps someone assassinates the Hongxi Emperor before he can be enthroned? Many possibilities exist here.) At this point, the West, though seeing the beginnings of the Renaissance in the more advanced states in the south, simply could stop China in the long run, even if they unified to fight the "heathens" (nearly impossible, given the lack of solid history of centralized government, in contrast to China), there would simply be no way around the Chinese, nor any way of challenging spectacularly superior Chinese ships in a large-scale fight.

Looking back to the Tang Dynasty, if there is no Islam, perhaps due to an Axumite offensive, the Chinese could expand their sphere of influence into Central Eurasia and maybe even the Sassanids, given their obviously quite feeble state around the time of the Islamic Conquest of Persia: If the Arabs could conquer the Persians, than certainly the Tang could at least force it into tributary state status.

Russia might be a surprising candidate for "Easternization" if they actually focus more on eastward expansion and more frequent interaction with states like China, Korea and Japan. I do believe that "Easternization" might have to involve studying Confucian ideals.

"Westernization" of the "East" occurred for a few main reasons: (1) outright conquest coupled with economic and military domination, (2)Envy on the part of some peoples for the power dieplayed by western nations, (3) recognition on the part of others that their long-term survival required at least the superficial acceptance of western political, economic, technological, and scientific concepts, and (4) Sucessful revolutions against older orders based on western ideologies - most notably Marxism in its many variants.

To have the same happen in the West, you'd have to see a similar period of Asian dominance over Europe and the western Islamic world, one in which people long accustomed to the presumed superiority of their own cultures are forced to change their minds in the face of the clear superiority of the others - and this superiority must be pretty definitive - giant Steam powered warships with rifled cannon vs sailing vessels with archers and catapults - not the sort of technological advantages 10th Chinese might have had over Arabs and Magyars.