Why did monotheism arise in the middle east?

Faeelin

Banned
Leo Caesius said:
Thus was monotheism born: from a sacred literature, a refined concept of orthodoxy, and a universalistic outlook. I personally feel that literacy is a necessary prerequisite for abstract concepts such as universalism or orthodoxy.

You know, this would make an interesting book. The History of God, or somesuch.

Faeelin said:
You know, this would make an interesting book. The History of God, or somesuch.
I assume you're joking, but those who don't know Karen Armstrong wrote that book years ago. She follows the more conventional view that monotheism was largely established among the Jewish elite by the end of the Exile. Among the less educated classes and particularly among the Samaritans, it probably took longer, but certainly by the Hellenistic Age it was pretty well established in both nations. The Maccabee Revolt wouldn't have been as fanatacial if Hellenistic gods were widely accepted. Now above all hold-over customs naturally continued for centuries, even to the present (see Christmas trees). That makes archeological evidence a bit tricky especially when it contradicts historical records.

In any event, this is the wrong question. The real question is why did exclusive monotheism develop in the Middle East? Most advanced societies develop some form of monotheism (China, India, the Yoruba, Rome, etc.), it's only in the Middle East were a single deity was to be worshipped to the absolute exclusion of all others.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Martel said:
In any event, this is the wrong question. The real question is why did exclusive monotheism develop in the Middle East? Most advanced societies develop some form of monotheism (China, India, the Yoruba, Rome, etc.), it's only in the Middle East were a single deity was to be worshipped to the absolute exclusion of all others.
Well, again, even in the Middle East you have polytheists, but they're relegated to the boonies. In some of the texts I've read a common theme is the city-dwelling priest coming out to the countryside only to find people backsliding into polytheism. This is as common among the Mandaeans as it is among the Jews.

Again, I think it has more to do with the higher proportion of literate urban folk in the Middle East than in other regions, at least at this period of time.

I'll note that what you're describing as a single question is really two questions: why did monotheism first develop in the Middle East, and why is it evangelical and absolutist there ("to be worshipped to the absolute exclusion of others.") I think that this is due to the concepts of orthodoxy and universalism, which combined with monotheism first in the Middle East (and to a greater degree than anywhere else).

Leo,

Your analysis is fascinating. I'd like to add something concerning the Greek idea that each god or goddess of Olympus was in fact the same deity as each god or goddess served in other countries. There is some reason to think that, in a sense, the Greeks were correct about this, because there were some deities who really had a lot in common, suggesting that they shared common origins in the Mediterranean culture. You equated Zeus with Baal and Osiris. Well, in the northern kingdom, Baal and Yahweh were identified early in Israelite history, possibly prior to the monarchy, and in that region YHWH (Yahweh) was a storm-god, just like Zeus. However, there is even linguistic similarity between Zeus and YHWH, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were identified by sea travelers even in the second millenium BCE or early first, when the Phoenicians certainly could have made the connection between Canaanite, Egyptian, Anatolean, and Greek culture. The Greeks also identified the Egyptian goddess Neit with Athena, but Neit was served in a place called the Temple of the Bee, and there is a Hebrew heroine, called Deborah, which means "Bee". Deborah is also called Eishet Lapidot, a woman of torches, and takes comman over the stars, yet in Egypt Neit was celebrated at the festival of torches. Seems to me that Neit and Deborah stem from the same goddess from some earlier time, and it makes sense that Athena would have come from that origin as well.

fenkmaster said:
Yes, indeed...it appears you skipped over the kajillions of references in the Old Testament histories to the Israelites where th people consistently sinned by worshipping other gods...I can't tell if you're implying that the idea that the Jews weren't at least in name monotheistic throughout their history or not.

I'll can't find the rabbi who said it first, but the saying is, "if the Scriptures have to make it a sin to worship other gods, then our religion isn't monotheist yet, because who are these other gods?"

Depends what is meant by monotheism. None of the religions you mentioned are strictly monotheistic because they all postulate the existence of evil as a separate divinity or at least a supernatural entity separate from the good one.

Christianity and Islam are strictly monotheistic. Both have only one god. Neither admits that Satan/Shaitan or whatever is god. Neither do they admit to the existence of other gods.

Tom Veil said:
I'll can't find the rabbi who said it first, but the saying is, "if the Scriptures have to make it a sin to worship other gods, then our religion isn't monotheist yet, because who are these other gods?"
But doesn't the same scripture blatantly mention the supposed other gods as false idols?

Imajin said:
But doesn't the same scripture blatantly mention the supposed other gods as false idols?

Indeed, but that seems to have been entirely passed over.

To me it seems that revisionists take from the HB any passages that they think would suppoort their idea that the Hebrews aren't what they claim to be, that they're Canaanites, that they're polytheistic, etc., but when it really comes down to it there's no solid proof, archaeological or textual, that the basic outline of Israel's history, religious and secular, as laid down in the TNK is contradicted. To me, at least, it seems like we're trying to "fix" the mistakes of these poor, uneducated ancients, while passing over what they actually wrote as "poetry" or a "mythology" or an "epic history". Whether you believe in all the miracles and divine revelations of the HB or not, it seems fairly clear to me that nothing has been found to explicitly contradict the history of Israel as laid down by the OT writers.

fortyseven said:
Excellent explanation Leo. I haven't seen it put all together like that before.

Not to be combative, but I would say that it has indeed been "put together" all right. Its based on modern suppositions and theories and worldviews, but there's little from the time period itself to back it up.

Leo Caesius said:
But Ezekiel died before Cyrus conquered Babylon?

I don't necessarily consider these ethnonyms very useful; Cyrus claims, in the cylinder inscription, to be the King of Anshan, but nothing about his own ethnicity. Cyrus also explicitly identifies himself as a Mazdayasnian and therefore a follower of an Iranian religion, which would set him apart from the people of Anshan, who worshipped gods like Susinak and Nahhunte. Cyrus' inscription at Murghab (Pasargadae) identifies him as an Achaemenid (Haxamanishiya), and Darius' inscription at Naqsh-i Rustam identifies his father as an Achaemenid and a Persian. Whatever the precise ethnicity of the Achaemenids was, the fact remains that he and his successors used Old Persian, not Elamite, and identified themselves as being of Aryan stock (Ariya-cica) rather than Elamite stock.

If you believe that Darius himself was a usurper who had nothing to do with Cyrus, that complicates the picture, but I'm willing to believe that there was some family connection between the two, although obviously not very close.
He might have meant Ezra....

fenkmaster said:

To me it seems that revisionists take from the HB any passages that they think would suppoort their idea that the Hebrews aren't what they claim to be, that they're Canaanites, that they're polytheistic, etc., but when it really comes down to it there's no solid proof, archaeological or textual, that the basic outline of Israel's history, religious and secular, as laid down in the TNK is contradicted. To me, at least, it seems like we're trying to "fix" the mistakes of these poor, uneducated ancients, while passing over what they actually wrote as "poetry" or a "mythology" or an "epic history". Whether you believe in all the miracles and divine revelations of the HB or not, it seems fairly clear to me that nothing has been found to explicitly contradict the history of Israel as laid down by the OT writers.

The question is what historical claims can you read out of the tnk text? Who, or which text, is making the claim that the other gods were "false"? How do you explain the examples that I cited in post #17 as the work of monotheistic writers? Seems to me that a pure reading of the Genesis-Kings narrative should lead you to conclude that they were not saying that the gods of the other nations were not real. What is "revisionist" are the interpretations of the Rabbis, the Christians, and the Moslems who read into those texts exclusive monotheism. I just do not see it there. Later yes, in some of the prophetic texts and certainly in the Talmudic discussions, the Midrash, the Christian interpreters, and the manner in which various Hebrew tales are cited by Quranic writers.

fenkmaster said:

You are kidding right?

The pottery alone from the time of the supposed Hebrew invasion of the 'Promised Land' shows the Cannanites and Hebrews as the same people.

None of the claimed historical facts of the OT hold any credibility whatever. There may be coincidental similarities of names, but none can be linked to historical events. There is NO archeological evidence or evidence from other civilizations for the existence of David or Solomon for example.

Leo Caesius

Banned
fenkmaster said:
Not to be combative, but I would say that it has indeed been "put together" all right. Its based on modern suppositions and theories and worldviews, but there's little from the time period itself to back it up.
I disagree. I can read Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, and am quite familiar with the archaeology of the ancient Near East. I've read the whole Bible both in my native language (English) and in the original languages. There's little "modern" in my suppositions and theories. If, of course, you have alternate evidence from the time period in question, I suggest that you produce it.

MarkA said:
There is NO archeological evidence or evidence from other civilizations for the existence of David or Solomon for example.

Wrong. The Moabite stelae describes a battle between an alliance of "Israel" and "The House of David" (which I assume means Judah) against the Moabites. There's also the Tel-Dan Stelae.

Leo_Caesius is quite knowledgeable about these things.

Here're some links:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/05/i...rss&adxnnlx=1144854331-1SuGMwAZHO+qZkhHviYX4w

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David

leo´s approach is not bad. But according to him, chinese and korean people would have developed monotheism aswell.
He is concentrating way to much on the israelites. Of couse they were the first, but there is no reason why they should not have been the last to follow a monotheistic religion.
I was working on this topic as a geographer.

(btw,isn´t it funny how every discipline tries to explain everything from their point of view!)

Most geographers (actually it is very unmodern to think such geodeterministic thought, so most books are quite jold) think it is due to the free view to the stars that makes it easy to imagine one god ruleing. Mixing this with the economics of herding....

I have an other idea.
All those monotheistic religions are religions of revelation. So somebody has to have something like a vision. The desert enviroment supports that quite good. hot, not much water, plants with stuff in them.

The truth, as always in a mixture of everything mentioned by everybody, i think

MarkA said:
You are kidding right?

The pottery alone from the time of the supposed Hebrew invasion of the 'Promised Land' shows the Cannanites and Hebrews as the same people.

None of the claimed historical facts of the OT hold any credibility whatever. There may be coincidental similarities of names, but none can be linked to historical events. There is NO archeological evidence or evidence from other civilizations for the existence of David or Solomon for example.
The nomadic Hebrews invade Canaan. They use the pottery left behind by the Canaanites. I fail to see the contradiction here...

And how much do you expect is supposed to be left after 3,000 years? I would guess that we don't have many non-Assyrian sources for several Assyrian Kings...

Leo Caesius

Banned
MerryPrankster said:
Wrong. The Moabite stelae describes a battle between an alliance of "Israel" and "The House of David" (which I assume means Judah) against the Moabites. There's also the Tel-Dan Stelae.

Here're some links:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/05/i...rss&adxnnlx=1144854331-1SuGMwAZHO+qZkhHviYX4w

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David
I'd also add the links to previous discussion along these lines that we've had:

King David Crosses the Bosphorus

Israel Survives Assyria

Faeelin

Banned
Martel said:
I assume you're joking, but those who don't know Karen Armstrong wrote that book years ago. She follows the more conventional view that monotheism was largely established among the Jewish elite by the end of the Exile. Among the less educated classes and particularly among the Samaritans, it probably took longer, but certainly by the Hellenistic Age it was pretty well established in both nations. The Maccabee Revolt wouldn't have been as fanatacial if Hellenistic gods were widely accepted.

But even in the Maccabee revolt, remember that the Samaritans offered to worship Zeus.

For that matter, even Maccabees, a text written by the winners to justify their actions, states that there were Jews who supported Antiochus.