What Mistress Boleyn Wants (Mistress Boleyn Gets)

ANYBODY - who is Francis I going to wed now that Eleanor's run off with Frederick?

Well, if she's not already married, then I'd say Renee of France. She'd need a dispensation but it'd keep Brittany in the family if the children of Claude of France don't make it. If not her, I can see the Hapsburgs trying for Mary of Austria, who might actually make a good bride for him. She's still quite young, so new children are an option, plus she was known as quite beautiful. Another option would be the widowed Susanna of Bavaria.

July 1530

Anne was back at court, reluctantly leaving her children and still-ailing husband; Mary had requested Anne’s presence. She was concerned; the King was impatient for another child and Anne was better at finding help than was Mary. Anne brought the herb-woman from her home (after securing another one for husband Henry) and the trio was discussing the merit of various herbs for conception when word came that Henry wished his wife and sister Countess Percy to attend him. They left the herb-woman with her plants and joined him.

He was holding a letter written on creamy vellum. It was the sort of paper that indicated the contents were more than gossip.

“He wants Mary!” Henry announced.

Mary looked startled and glanced at Anne questioningly. Anne realized what he meant.

“Princess Mary,” Anne said after a quick curtsey. “He wants Princess Mary?”

“James, my nephew. He wishes to wed my daughter Mary.”

Mary smiled as she took the seat next to him. “That’s wonderful, isn’t it?”

“Well, he’s after England.” Henry said.

“After my sister has a son, he won’t get it,” Anne pointed out. “And it will break up the ‘Auld Alliance’ – possibly forever.”

“The dowry will be sticky,” Henry mused. Lately, he’d become as cheap as his father.

“That will depend on the jointure, sire,” said Anne. “You and Master Cromwell will be more than a match for him.”

“We’d need a dispensation, but hopefully, the Pope will grant one,” Mary offered.

Cromwell entered and bowed. “You wanted me, your majesty?”

August 1530

The news that Francis had wed again in July – to Mary of Austria – came just as the betrothal between James V and Princess Mary Tudor reached its final stages. James was most eager to wed his cousin and had accepted a lower dowry than Henry VIII had expected; the uncle was of mixed views on the marriage. It was certainly a coup and could possibly lead to the unification of the two countries, but with England in the female position if he had no sons. But he was hopeful of a boy from Mary, who’d missed her courses that month. So, Henry VIII agreed and the wedding would be held in Scotland, as had Margaret.

Princess Mary was ecstatic; she put the fortunate meeting down to the Earl of Northumberland’s saving of Scott and insisted that Anne be among the ladies to attend her on her journey to Scotland. All the royal negotiations and plans meant Anne missed the birth of George’s and Jane’s son George in the first week of August.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because "I'm tired of all you prats" is a bad thing to say to Kings:p. Much more tactful to say "Hey, I'm gonna help this sick man get home" even if you only rides out of the city with him! You can't just walk out on the King! You've got to have a face-saving (on both sides) excuse.
Yeah that is true but why bother with Henry Percy? Sure he doesn't hate him but can't he just fake illness to get out of it without bothering with Percy? Why do you even bring up George talbot if your not going to do anything with him?

July 1530

Anne was back at court, reluctantly leaving her children and still-ailing husband; Mary had requested Anne’s presence. She was concerned; the King was impatient for another child and Anne was better at finding help than was Mary. Anne brought the herb-woman from her home (after securing another one for husband Henry) and the trio was discussing the merit of various herbs for conception when word came that Henry wished his wife and sister Countess Percy to attend him. They left the herb-woman with her plants and joined him.

He was holding a letter written on creamy vellum. It was the sort of paper that indicated the contents were more than gossip.

“He wants Mary!” Henry announced.

Mary looked startled and glanced at Anne questioningly. Anne realized what he meant.

“Princess Mary,” Anne said after a quick curtsey. “He wants Princess Mary?”

“James, my nephew. He wishes to wed my daughter Mary.”

Mary smiled as she took the seat next to him. “That’s wonderful, isn’t it?”

“Well, he’s after England.” Henry said.

“After my sister has a son, he won’t get it,” Anne pointed out. “And it will break up the ‘Auld Alliance’ – possibly forever.”

“The dowry will be sticky,” Henry mused. Lately, he’d become as cheap as his father.

“That will depend on the jointure, sire,” said Anne. “You and Master Cromwell will be more than a match for him.”

“We’d need a dispensation, but hopefully, the Pope will grant one,” Mary offered.

Cromwell entered and bowed. “You wanted me, your majesty?”

August 1530

The news that Francis had wed again in July – to Mary of Austria – came just as the betrothal between James V and Princess Mary Tudor reached its final stages. James was most eager to wed his cousin and had accepted a lower dowry than Henry VIII had expected; the uncle was of mixed views on the marriage. It was certainly a coup and could possibly lead to the unification of the two countries, but with England in the female position if he had no sons. But he was hopeful of a boy from Mary, who’d missed her courses that month. So, Henry VIII agreed and the wedding would be held in Scotland, as had Margaret.

Princess Mary was ecstatic; she put the fortunate meeting down to the Earl of Northumberland’s saving of Scott and insisted that Anne be among the ladies to attend her on her journey to Scotland. All the royal negotiations and plans meant Anne missed the birth of George’s and Jane’s son Thomas in the first week of August.
Intresting

Percy is already ill; what better way to suck up to the king than to show him you think highly of those he thinks highly of? It's a ready-made excuse. Why mention Talbot? I wanted it known that the King didn't hold his daughter's foolishness against him (despite what he said to Talbot).

Percy is already ill; what better way to suck up to the king than to show him you think highly of those he thinks highly of? It's a ready-made excuse. Why mention Talbot? I wanted it known that the King didn't hold his daughter's foolishness against him (despite what he said to Talbot).
Henry viii is really flip floppy isn't he

Great writing

Just a nitpick, here.

Mary of Austria, Dowager Queen of Hungary, vowed never to remarry after husband no. 1 died. And part of her way to force her brothers not to attempt to use her again as a pawn was to take up residence with her aunt, rather than to live either in Spain or in Vienna. OTL Karl V tried to arrange other marriages for her, but Margarethe of Austria backed her niece to the hilt, so Karl backed down. Plans for a husband for her included the king of Scots (can't remember if this was from his side or Karl's), the selfsame Elector Palatine who had been in love with Eleonore (he was really only after the dowry she'd bring - he wasn't known as "Friedl with the Empty Pockets" for nothing) and even Christian III of Denmark as a way of restoring the Habsburg alliance with Denmark.

Great writing

Just a nitpick, here.

Mary of Austria, Dowager Queen of Hungary, vowed never to remarry after husband no. 1 died. And part of her way to force her brothers not to attempt to use her again as a pawn was to take up residence with her aunt, rather than to live either in Spain or in Vienna. OTL Karl V tried to arrange other marriages for her, but Margarethe of Austria backed her niece to the hilt, so Karl backed down. Plans for a husband for her included the king of Scots (can't remember if this was from his side or Karl's), the selfsame Elector Palatine who had been in love with Eleonore (he was really only after the dowry she'd bring - he wasn't known as "Friedl with the Empty Pockets" for nothing) and even Christian III of Denmark as a way of restoring the Habsburg alliance with Denmark.

If we have Margaret of Austria die before this all goes down she'd most likely give in.

1 Her brother showed up to take over Hungary. 2. Eleanor eloped with Frederick 3. Margaret thought she should give Francis a chance.

1 Her brother showed up to take over Hungary. 2. Eleanor eloped with Frederick 3. Margaret thought she should give Francis a chance.

It's problematic, since when Karl suspected that Eleonore and Friedrich had jumped the broom after her Portuguese widowhood he had both of them swear up and down before witnesses that they hadn't, nor would they ever agree to marry one another without his [Karl] consent. So, even if she does elope with Friedl, Karl is likely to react much like Henry VIII (grudgingly allow the marriage to go through, but impose a crippling fine on both parties involved). Mary made the promise to never remarry OTL before her brother showed up to take over Hungary OTL, and reiterated it repeatedly whenever her brother produced a gentleman caller for her.

Did Margarethe have a lobotomy that she's supporting François' candidature? She was vehemently anti-French due to the fact that Charles VIII dropped her like a hot potato back in the day, and part of the reason that she was sent to negotiate the Ladies Peace was because her nephew knew she would play hardball with Louise of Savoy, in addition to the fact that she had known Louise in her closing years at the French court.

Jonas - congratulations, you've won the prize. The prize is YOU get to come up with the explanation as to why Mary of Hungary wed Francis I despite repeated avowals of perpetual widowhood. Extra points if you do it without killing off someone troublesome.

Eleanor does wed Frederick - however, to quote Spock: "To have is often not as satisfying as to want" (more or less it's what he said). I didn't say she'd be happy......

Jonas - congratulations, you've won the prize. The prize is YOU get to come up with the explanation as to why Mary of Hungary wed Francis I despite repeated avowals of perpetual widowhood. Extra points if you do it without killing off someone troublesome.

Eleanor does wed Frederick - however, to quote Spock: "To have is often not as satisfying as to want" (more or less it's what he said). I didn't say she'd be happy......

Well, it's quite possible that Lajos II was abusive or immature towards Marie, which is why she made the vow. And since you've removed Catherine of Aragon and all the unpleasantness that resulted in Mary Tudor's abuse, perhaps Marie of Hungary emulates her cousin who fell in love with the portrait of Felipe II, and she sees a portrait of François when it is sent to Flanders in hopes of encouraging a match with Eleonore. Marie sees it and says "we will wed him or we will wed no one!" and boom! she ends up as queen of France, despite Margarethe's dire warnings and misgivings.

How's that sound?

That, along with Francis giving her more power over her personal money and life as well as agreeing to whatever terms are granted? (With Eleanor bolting, he needs to prove it wasn't him that made her go to Freddie...)

My computer won't be well till next week;.so, I'm taking suggestions for the coming of the church of England. Since Henry won't be changing the world for Anne, why does he start questioning ?

My computer won't be well till next week;.so, I'm taking suggestions for the coming of the church of England. Since Henry won't be changing the world for Anne, why does he start questioning ?

Who says he has to start questioning things? His inability to get a living son from Catherine of Aragon, and his love for Anne Boleyn-and the Pope's refusal to grant an annulment-was literally the only reason he broke with the Catholic Church.

I suspect Henry will remain Catholic.

As for his subjects, though...

That could be an entirely different story.

Nobody says he has to start questioning, I'm just wondering....

If he has legitimate sons, he'll probably be happy to stay in the Catholic fold. That being said, there's plenty of room for religious dissent.

One interesting thing, if Henry stays catholic, Thomas More's fate will be vastly different from OTL, and that might be a fascinating thing to see. More was rather Zealous about burning heretics, I've read, so this TL, his reputation will be more than somewhat different...

Right now, in this timeline, no legitimate sons. Of course, Mary Boleyn Carey Tudor has no emperor nephew, so if she doesn't pop a boy out.......how long will it take Henry to decide he needs a new wife?