Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

A bit bland but heyho

Nyhavn aka NewHaven

Nyhavn is the Planet and Settlement of ColonyArkShip3.
It is primarily formed of people of Scandinavian descent though Irish, Baltic, and Japanese minorities exist.
Politically it can be said to be a parliamentary republic though quirks of development the Head of State Archon occasionally acts presidentially

nyhavn2.PNG

Last edited:
Snowflake Council Flag (A. Reynolds - Turquoise Days).png

Flag of Turquoise / Flag of the Snowflake Council

The waterry, almost completely oceanic world of Turquoise was settled some two centuries ago by the crew of a lighthugger seeking to establish a new human colony in the interstellar vicinity of old established worlds, such as Zion, Fand, and of course, Yellowstone. The coalition of settlers was mostly of Inuit and Thai ethnic stock. This has remained reflected in the planet's phenotypes, society, culture and linguistics. Though seasteading on Turquoise proved challenging, the colonists flew here with the intent to stay. After ferrying supplies and materials from orbit via shuttles, they landed and gradually dismantled the lighthugger that had brought them here. The first few bases, towns and cities slowly rose above the greenish waves of the planet's near-endless seas. To this day, Turquoise is a somewhat remotely located interstellar colony, and the locals mostly keep to themselves. They are not xenophobes or complete isolationists, though - they maintain contact with passing lighthuggers and occassionally allow one or two to stop over and offer exchange of goods, technologies and the latest news in this human-settled corner of the Galaxy. However, to date, such stopovers of ultranauts can still be counted on the fingers of a single hand. The (for good and bad) most memorable and major visit occured some one hundred years ago, with the arrival of the lighthugger Pelican in Impiety into Low Turquoise Orbit.

One of Turquoise's oldest cities, Umingmaktok, is the de facto capital of the sparsely populated planet. It houses the seat of the central government, the Snowflake Council (currently under the leadership of chairman Tak Thonburi and Dr. Jotah Sivaraksa). Though the flag of the Snowflake Council and its obvious colour choices have been a symbol of the government since the first two decades of settlement, Turquoise as a colony lacked its own flag for several decades. Eventually, it was decided later in the first century after landfall that the Council's flag would simply double as the flag of the colony as a whole, due to its already established iconicity. When the crew of the Pelican dropped by for a visit roughly a century ago, they were already greeted by the fluttering of the snowflake-adorned turquoise-blue flags in the planet's light, sea-scented breeze.

Last edited:
Note that lighthuggers are firmly STL starships. Communications are also non-FTL, though they are a little swifter within the various planetary systems.

I appear to have scraped a victory!

Other than perhaps doing a evolution of flags one again I am stuck for ideas on the next challenge.
so, friends, Rhomans, Ah.com-men, lend me your ideas!

If still stuck after 24h or so I may just hand over to Petike :D

Suggestions for a new round, ey ?

Colonies of Slavic nations in Asia (ASB cases included)

Alternate flag for the Faroe Islands or Greenland

"Cousteauverse" : Flags of the first underwater human nations, founded by deep-sea dwelling visionaries

Flags of alternate Bantu nations/countries

Suggestions for a new round, ey ?

Colonies of Slavic nations in Asia (ASB cases included)

Alternate flag for the Faroe Islands or Greenland

"Cousteauverse" : Flags of the first underwater human nations, founded by deep-sea dwelling visionaries

Flags of alternate Bantu nations/countries

I like the alternate bantustans idea

I like the alternate bantustans idea

I did not say bantustans, I meant proper modern African countries with people of Bantu ethnicities and language groups (i.e. like most of subsaharan Africa). The only catch would be that there would be an allohistorical element to all of this. E.g. the Kikuyu settling OTL Mozambique instead of Kenya, etc.

Thanks to Petike for inspiration here

FLAG CHALLENGE 123: The Octopus's Garden

Design a flag (or flag equivalent) for an underwater polity.
This could be a human cousteauville, lost Lemurians, mernation, Deep One Outpost, Starfish Alien settlement, etc
The sky, er seabed, is your limit!

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 23:59 GMT 29th January
Voting Opens: 30th January ish
Voting Closes: 6th February ish

It's been a while since I entered one of these, but I felt inspired and decided to give it a go.

The City of Miracles

"Far beneath the waves of the eastern Mediterranean lies an underwater city, long lost to history. To modern eyes it would appear to have been built and populated by a highly advanced race of people. Its high technology, in many cases indistinguishable from magic, certainly suggests as much. This is in stark contrast to the humans inhabiting it, however. They live simple lives, venerating the wonders of the city as if they were gifts from the gods rather than the fruits of advanced science. Indeed, they hardly seem to have a concept of science to begin with, and attempting to understand the "City of Miracles" is seen as offensive at best and blasphemous at worst.

If asked who built the city, the locals would likely answer "The Gods" without hesitation. If asked who "The Gods" are supposed to be, the local would not only be able to name all nine members of their pantheon, but also show you the Gods themselves. In each of the eight "arms" of the city, and right in the center of it, you can find a large white building. If you were to enter one of these buildings, you would find a large glass tank, filled with an unidentified liquid, housing an outlandish creature that can best be described as a large eye with eight white tentacles extending from it. It doesn't speak, and it doesn't even seem to be capable of thought. Nonetheless, any who enter these temples feel as if they're being watched. The beings only move to observe, and they only observe humans. All other animals are ignored entirely.

While the origins of the city will likely remain a mystery for the foreseeable future, the origins of the flag proudly displayed by the people inhabiting it becomes clear after touring it. A single eye, eight white tentacles protruding from it, forever observing those who would venerate it as a god.
"

abnoUoH.png

And thank you for choosing one of my suggestions ! :D I swear, deeply flattered here. :eek:

Hey no worries, it got in my head and wouldn't let go. Even after several verses of The Beatle's song. :D

It's been a while since I entered one of these, but I felt inspired and decided to give it a go.

The City of Miracles
"Far beneath the waves of the eastern Mediterranean lies an underwater city, long lost to history. To modern eyes it would appear to have been built and populated by a highly advanced race of people. Its high technology, in many cases indistinguishable from magic, certainly suggests as much. This is in stark contrast to the humans inhabiting it, however. They live simple lives, venerating the wonders of the city as if they were gifts from the gods rather than the fruits of advanced science. Indeed, they hardly seem to have a concept of science to begin with, and attempting to understand the "City of Miracles" is seen as offensive at best and blasphemous at worst.

If asked who built the city, the locals would likely answer "The Gods" without hesitation. If asked who "The Gods" are supposed to be, the local would not only be able to name all nine members of their pantheon, but also show you the Gods themselves. In each of the eight "arms" of the city, and right in the center of it, you can find a large white building. If you were to enter one of these buildings, you would find a large glass tank, filled with an unidentified liquid, housing an outlandish creature that can best be described as a large eye with eight white tentacles extending from it. It doesn't speak, and it doesn't even seem to be capable of thought. Nonetheless, any who enter these temples feel as if they're being watched. The beings only move to observe, and they only observe humans. All other animals are ignored entirely.

While the origins of the city will likely remain a mystery for the foreseeable future, the origins of the flag proudly displayed by the people inhabiting it becomes clear after touring it. A single eye, eight white tentacles protruding from it, forever observing those who would venerate it as a god."

abnoUoH.png

Oooh, cool :cool:

Let me try my hand at this again:

United States Oceanic Islands (USOI)

An underwater organized U.S. territory of approximately 750,000 residents, spread across four domed cities located on the seafloor.

The blue represents underwater life, the red represents the surface world and an the skies during an evening sunset, the wavy white stripe represents the bond between them. The star represents the cities themselves as a single entity and their unity with the U.S. as one of its territories.

And if you were wondering, I based it off of the North Star flag. Guilty as charged! ;-)

Last edited: