Walking Through Dreams: Lands of Red and Gold (preview)

I doubt that Australia would be much farther along then the early bronze-age at best. I also doubt that the technology there will be comparable in the detail to the other portions of the world. For instance the Incas were fairly advanced in "soft" (gold silver, copper) metallurgical techniques, and cloth. The Maya were far ahead in math and some other theoretical sciences, but lacked technologies old-worlders assume to be critical. I'll be interested to see what you come up with Jared:).

-looking forward to it,
Atom.

The Australian aborigines could do all of this except for the goatskin blowpipes; does anybody know if wombat, kangaroo, or any other semi-large Australian animal has hide that could fit this pupose?

Well why not? I have a kangaroo skin hat, I think its outstanding material. 'Roos are bigger than goats. So anything you can make with goat skin you can do with 'roos.

Well why not? I have a kangaroo skin hat, I think its outstanding material. 'Roos are bigger than goats. So anything you can make with goat skin you can do with 'roos.

So that means that if the Aborigines could find iron, they could make steel from it.

So are there ample sources of iron easily available to these yam-farming-aborigines?

One of the nice things about steel is that its actually easier to make than bronze in a lot of ways. Iron is much more abundant. The furnace is very simple. You don't need two metals, copper and tin and therefore do not need an elaborate settled society to marshal mineral resources across large territories. The Haya people of Africa were making steel 2,000 years ago, disproving conventional wisdom that iron age must come after the bronze age. These people went from stone age straight to iron and steel.

Interesting information about the steel-making. However, while it looks like the Haya have been making steel for up to 2000 years, they were still drawing on a tradition of iron-working which goes back a lot further (to at least 1200 BC). And while sub-Saharan Africa shows it's possible to go from Stone Age to Iron Age without needing much in the way of a Bronze Age, going straight from Stone Age to high-temperature steel is probably a bit much.

In other words, it's entirely possible that *Aboriginal civilization may use iron and copper tools without really mastering bronze. But I still think that they would have to use iron tools for a while before they move to steel.

The Australian aborigines could do all of this except for the goatskin blowpipes; does anybody know if wombat, kangaroo, or any other semi-large Australian animal has hide that could fit this pupose?

I agree that the raw materials are available to create steel similar to what the Haya did, but as per above, I think that they would need to have an iron period before they had a steel period.

Question: Does New Zealand get this "Red Yam"? If so, could we see Aotearoa pulling a Meiji?

New Zealand will probably get the red yam, but the other crops they are likely to get from *Australia are of more importance. Red yams aren't that much better than kumara, although they'll probably grow a bit further south. What the Maori need is a high-protein crop or two. Which can be arranged.

Pulling a Meiji may be a bit much, though. Japan had a number of large advantages which other nations would be hard-pressed to match. (Large literate population, technological gap not really that large, and a few others.)

Simply amazing kind sir.

Gracias.

It seems to me that it is likely that Australia probably was noticed by the seafaring civilizations of Indonesia, but simply ignored due to there being nothing really of note there. In the event that a civilization develops in Australia, I'm not sure if this will be the case, because the Australians are probably likely to produce some type of desirable trade goods, if only just gold and silver.

Either way, I am looking forward to this TL, it sounds quite interesting.

I'm still considering how far Aboriginal metallurgy is likely to progress ITTL. Or indeed if there's any. Much depends on the availability of metals in the relevant areas. Australia has plenty of gold and iron ore, but a lot of the iron ore is in the more arid regions where the farmers won't be living anyway. The gold is handier - at least there's a lot within the fertile areas - but I'm not sure how much of it is buried underground and thus hard to work with.

In terms of contact with Indonesian cultures, there probably won't be much. The Macassars (and maybe others) visited northern Australia in OTL, but those are the areas which ITTL will remain hunter-gatherer societies. This is because the crops which the *Aboriginals are using are subtropical crops; they can't be easily grown too far north of the Tropic of Capricorn. On the other hand, if the agricultural societies further south do take up metal-working with gold, then some of those items may be traded quite a long way. Maybe there would be some people wearing gold jewellery when the Macassars first arrive in the Northern Territory, and that could inspire them to explore further...

I doubt that Australia would be much farther along then the early bronze-age at best. I also doubt that the technology there will be comparable in the detail to the other portions of the world. For instance the Incas were fairly advanced in "soft" (gold silver, copper) metallurgical techniques, and cloth. The Maya were far ahead in math and some other theoretical sciences, but lacked technologies old-worlders assume to be critical. I'll be interested to see what you come up with Jared:).

I'm expecting that there will be a few areas where *Aboriginal civilization would be seen as advanced in comparison to how early Europe went. For instance, as you mention, the Maya were very good at maths and astronomy and a few other things, but had limited metallurgy. The Inca had very good roads, communications and political organisation (a bit like the Romans of the New World in some ways). So there's likely to be some particular areas where the *Aboriginals are more advanced than would be expected. I do already have some ideas along those lines...

So that means that if the Aborigines could find iron, they could make steel from it.

So are there ample sources of iron easily available to these yam-farming-aborigines?

The question of iron ore availability is one I need to find out a lot more about. Australia has a whole has a copious amount of iron ore - it's one of the world's two top exporters - but I'm not sure how much of it is readily accessible. I'll need to look into this in more detail.

Last edited:
Awsome idea.

I love AH which involves more advanced aborignal and Polynesian societies.

My knowledge of Australian edible plants is pretty poor to be honest (I know much more about NZ species, and also desert/Boreal/Alpine species from the Northern hemisphere from an ecological perspective mostly). Which species will get cultivated? Will crops from Southern Asia reach Australia?

Also, you mentioned that the Maori will receive Australian crops potentially, when will this transfer happen? Few people know, but it's believed that there were two waves of Polynesian colonisation to New Zealand, one around 2000 years ago, and one ~1000-800 years ago. The first settlement failed, possibly due to a lack of crops suitable to the environment. If they have different (ie non-tropical crops) things could go differently.

Also- imagine Australian mammals in the NZ bush being introduced earlier! Possums I could see, but also dingos, snakes, wallabies etc.
Or would a much more extensive devastation of the Australian wildlife occur in this scenario?

And it looks like the Aboriginals will be able to put up a better fight with the Europeans... Settlement will be radically different, maybe delayed enough so that some sort of Aboriginal Treaty of Waitangi will be signed? :D

Cool idea Jared! This sounds very interesting.

Personally, I like the title "Lands of Red and Gold" but that's just my $.02.

corourke

Donor
In terms of contact with Indonesian cultures, there probably won't be much. The Macassars (and maybe others) visited northern Australian in OTL, but those are the areas which ITTL will remain hunter-gatherer societies. This is because the crops which the *Aboriginals are using are subtropical crops; they can't be easily grown too far north of the Tropic of Capricorn. On the other hand, if the agricultural societies further south do take up metal-working with gold, then some of those items may be traded quite a long way. Maybe there would be some people wearing gold jewellery when the Macassars first arrive in the Northern Territory, and that could inspire them to explore further...

Yes, that's more or less what I was getting at. I'm curious about when (chronologically) you'll allow the butterflies to get out of the bag. For instance, it could have large impacts if these *Aboriginals are exposed to some mainland diseases, which could happen if there's any sort of sustained trade contact with Indonesia.

Thande

Donor
It's a Jared timeline, so it will be realistic rather than a Nativewank. I should think that the Aborigines will be more like the Maori or the Indians of Mexico, i.e. yes they will be successfully colonised by Europeans, but they will retain much more of a cultural identity and influence on the eventual post-colonial states.

Also, an agricultural Australia that can support many more people might result in a realistic scenario in which the continent is divided up between several powers, for a change.

It's a Jared timeline, so it will be realistic rather than a Nativewank. I should think that the Aborigines will be more like the Maori or the Indians of Mexico, i.e. yes they will be successfully colonised by Europeans, but they will retain much more of a cultural identity and influence on the eventual post-colonial states.

Also, an agricultural Australia that can support many more people might result in a realistic scenario in which the continent is divided up between several powers, for a change.

Seeing as Australia is a fairly large continent and if properly cultivated and advanced, it may resemble south africa if enough of the civilization remains. If sufficantly militarized it may also discourage heavy European settlement. While I see that this civilization remaining indepent through the imperialist era is wishful thinking at best, I could see several scenarios where the ethic culture of the aboriginal Australia would become dominant over European culture.

Am I the only one who is reminded of "Bronze Age New World" by the preview post? This seems to deal with familiar themes.
As for the name, why not use this thread's title?

Awsome idea.

I love AH which involves more advanced aborignal and Polynesian societies.

My knowledge of Australian edible plants is pretty poor to be honest (I know much more about NZ species, and also desert/Boreal/Alpine species from the Northern hemisphere from an ecological perspective mostly). Which species will get cultivated? Will crops from Southern Asia reach Australia?

The short version is that Australia has a lot of edible species, but the ones which are likely to be of most importance are the wattles - Australian representatives of the genus Acacia. These are very fast-growing trees which produce large numbers of edible and indeed highly nutritious seeds. They are high in protein, fertilise the soil, tolerate quite low rainfall (i.e. need no irrigation) and offer a handy source of timber and eventually mulch - they don't live that long. Certain species of wattles are already being used in some areas of Africa (Niger and Senegal) where they form up to 30 percent of people's diet in some areas.

There are some other species which will probably be used as well, but wattles are the important ones. They'll transform the *Aboriginal culture. And if they're exported to New Zealand, they'll transform the culture there. They'll also transform the ecology, too - wattles are pretty much the definition of invasive species - but you can't have everything...

Also, you mentioned that the Maori will receive Australian crops potentially, when will this transfer happen? Few people know, but it's believed that there were two waves of Polynesian colonisation to New Zealand, one around 2000 years ago, and one ~1000-800 years ago. The first settlement failed, possibly due to a lack of crops suitable to the environment. If they have different (ie non-tropical crops) things could go differently.

I'm expecting that Maori will make first contact with Australia, rather than the other way around. So it will be sometime after the Maori are established in Australia... say 1200 to 1400, although I haven't picked a date yet. And transfer of crops will go both ways - kumara may or may not be welcomed, but the *Aboriginals will love New Zealand flax and the arts of weaving.

Also- imagine Australian mammals in the NZ bush being introduced earlier! Possums I could see, but also dingos, snakes, wallabies etc.
Or would a much more extensive devastation of the Australian wildlife occur in this scenario?

Well, that depends on whether those mammals are domesticated. Other than the dingo, I'm not sure if Australia will have any domesticated mammals. It may be possible to tame/domesticate some of the smaller ones, and if so some of those are likely to end up in NZ. But I doubt that the larger animals will. And NZ is pretty much too cold for most species of snakes, so they should be safe from that...

And it looks like the Aboriginals will be able to put up a better fight with the Europeans... Settlement will be radically different, maybe delayed enough so that some sort of Aboriginal Treaty of Waitangi will be signed? :D

There will definitely be more resistance to European invasion, if only because the population is considerably higher. This will have ramifications for settlement. It's possible that there will be some equivalents of Waitangi, but there will be several treaties rather than a single one covering Australia. There will be many societies within Australia, and no-one would think that they could make one treaty covering all of them.

Cool idea Jared! This sounds very interesting.

Personally, I like the title "Lands of Red and Gold" but that's just my $.02.

"Lands of Red and Gold" is the latest in a series of four working titles for the same timeline. It's the one I most like so far, but I may change my mind again. It happens...

Yes, that's more or less what I was getting at. I'm curious about when (chronologically) you'll allow the butterflies to get out of the bag. For instance, it could have large impacts if these *Aboriginals are exposed to some mainland diseases, which could happen if there's any sort of sustained trade contact with Indonesia.

My rule of thumb is that when there's actual contact between peoples, the butterflies will start. Butterflies will affect the Maori from whichever date they make contact with the Australian mainland, for instance. But the question of when the Macassars first contacted Australia is actually quite a vexed one. Some sources say that contact started around 1720, which is after I'm expecting the Dutch to make contact. Other sources say that contact started some time in the 1400s.

I'll eventually have to pick one of those dates as being "true" for the purposes of the timeline. However, I don't actually think it will make that much difference, since northern Australia is still going to be hunter-gatherer until at least the sixteenth century. So while the Macassars may be visiting, they won't be making direct contact with the agricultural civilizations further south. Historically speaking, the Macassars actually brought some diseases across anyway, including smallpox, but due to the low population density, these diseases didn't spread across Australia. It will take rather more sustained contact - and probably permanent population movements - before the diseases are likely to spread Australia-wide.

I am going for realism here, yes. There will no doubt be a few areas where the *Aboriginals are more advanced than what would be expected for the "norm." Just as the Maya developed reasonably advanced mathematics and astronomy, and the Inca developed exceptional roads and advanced bureaucracy, the *Aboriginals will probably develop a few technologies to a reasonably high degree. Having taken a look into the iron ore deposits within south-western Australia, it seems like they would be primed to go straight from Stone Age to Iron Age without needing to pass through the Bronze Age (much as sub-Saharan Africa did). And there will probably be a few other instances like that. The overall picture, though, will probably be much as what happened in Mesoamerica...

That's entirely possible. In particular, Western Australia is likely to be administered separately from the south-east.

Seeing as Australia is a fairly large continent and if properly cultivated and advanced, it may resemble south africa if enough of the civilization remains. If sufficantly militarized it may also discourage heavy European settlement. While I see that this civilization remaining indepent through the imperialist era is wishful thinking at best, I could see several scenarios where the ethic culture of the aboriginal Australia would become dominant over European culture.

I suspect that much of this will vary between regions, too. The coastal regions are going to be the ones most directly settled and/or heavily influenced by Europeans. The interior of the Murray basin, on the other hand, may maintain more of its native culture and ways.

Am I the only one who is reminded of "Bronze Age New World" by the preview post? This seems to deal with familiar themes.
As for the name, why not use this thread's title?

I've read bits of Bronze Age New World, although not all of it. The themes have a bit of overlap, but where BANW seemed to be more about "already agricultural civilizations become a bit more advanced", this timeline will be about "hunter-gatherer cultures becoming agricultural." Similar in some respects, but a different focus.

In terms of names, the thread title here is a bit long for a timeline title. I need to pick one or the other, or go with something else.

Hendryk

Banned
So while the Macassars may be visiting, they won't be making direct contact with the agricultural civilizations further south. Historically speaking, the Macassars actually brought some diseases across anyway, including smallpox, but due to the low population density, these diseases didn't spread across Australia. It will take rather more sustained contact - and probably permanent population movements - before the diseases are likely to spread Australia-wide.
Will the Macassars bring pigs over? That would be another convenient domesticate to have around, and it would result in a higher acquired resistance to influenza-type viruses.

Interesting information about the steel-making. However, while it looks like the Haya have been making steel for up to 2000 years, they were still drawing on a tradition of iron-working which goes back a lot further (to at least 1200 BC). And while sub-Saharan Africa shows it's possible to go from Stone Age to Iron Age without needing much in the way of a Bronze Age, going straight from Stone Age to high-temperature steel is probably a bit much.

In other words, it's entirely possible that *Aboriginal civilization may use iron and copper tools without really mastering bronze. But I still think that they would have to use iron tools for a while before they move to steel.

I agree that the raw materials are available to create steel similar to what the Haya did, but as per above, I think that they would need to have an iron period before they had a steel period.

I see what you're saying. But even iron smelting would be quite a boon. The Romans were pretty much a pre-steel society. And of course, the larger Austro-Aborigine population may have limited interaction with the outside world in the same way Sub-Saharan Africans did with foreign steel cultures.

Wouldn't this kind of agricultural society attract the attention of the Indonesian sultanates? These sultanates were reliant upon trade, and I think that their trade routes reached to New Guinea. So isn't it likely that some time before the 17th century this *Aborgine agricultural society comes into contact with Muslim merchants?

This doesn't really change things in the larger world at all either. The trade routes just extend a little further, and when the Dutch come in and take over the East Indies, their take-over extends into the little trading-posts in Australia.

Will the Macassars bring pigs over? That would be another convenient domesticate to have around, and it would result in a higher acquired resistance to influenza-type viruses.

While it's possible that the Macassars would bring pigs (or some other animals) over, they weren't much interested in OTL. They basically only came to Australia to fish for sea cucumbers - there wasn't anything else there of interest to them. As I understand it, the odd Macassar did settle in the north, but only a person here and there, not any kind of sustained colonization effort. I don't see any particular reason why they would change this view ATL, at least as long as the "butterfly trap" holds. Of course, if the Dutch and Portuguese are trying to settle Australia, maybe the Macassars will be inspired to do the same...

Will the emu be domesticated? That would be a more reliable source of meat than hunting 'roos, for example.

Maybe. Jared Diamond notwithstanding, emus can be farmed and bred in captivity. That's enough to start them down the road to domestication, although it may turn out that there's other obstacles along the way. Emu farming is a difficult enterprise, though, since it needs a lot of things to be done right. Not impossible to learn, perhaps, but

Of course, domesticated emus may not actually be of that much use. No real use as beasts of burden. They would be a reliable source of meat, but they would have to be fed. Emus aren't pure grazers... they eat some young grass, but they prefer a more mixed diet - seeds, insects and so forth. In modern emu farming, they're mostly fed on various grains and nuts. It's not possible to park emus in a paddock and forget about them. Aboriginal farmers would need either to figure out how to domesticate some crops to feed to the emus, or give the emus wattle seeds and the like. The problem is that wattle seeds could be otherwise fed directly to humans, so it's a losing investment from that point of view. I could see some specialist farming of emus as a source of leather and emu fat, but probably not as large-scale meat production.

And incidentally, don't underestimate the capacity of hunting in Australia. The Aboriginal inhabitants were very very good at using a system of rotational burning so that there was enough open grassland (with young growth) to attract kangaroos, who could then be hunted. Of course, if this is the pattern, then what will likely happen is that each Aboriginal town will have close-in fields of yams, but be surrounded by a much larger area of "rangelands." These would be burned regularly to encourage new grass growth, and be used for hunting. This means that the human population would be pretty spread out... and it would also probably mean a lot of turf wars over hunting grounds.

Probably the best livestock they could acquire would be the camel.

Chickens or pigs would probably be the nicest for providing meat, and horses as beasts of burden. Camels are very good for exploring the more arid regions, but otherwise a pain in the neck. (Often literally.)

I see what you're saying. But even iron smelting would be quite a boon. The Romans were pretty much a pre-steel society. And of course, the larger Austro-Aborigine population may have limited interaction with the outside world in the same way Sub-Saharan Africans did with foreign steel cultures.

Oh, an *Australian Iron Age would be extremely useful, from their point of views. Iron tools would be marvellous - everything from axes to shovels to chisels. (And swords, of course.) Whether there's contact with the outside world, well... much depends on where these iron-wielding Aboriginal farmers live. And whether they figure out long-range sailing. Since their crops don't grow in the north, they're unlikely to settle anywhere close to where they may come into contact with Indonesians on their own. Of course, if they work out an equivalent to the Polynesian dugout outrigger canoes, all bets are off...

Wouldn't this kind of agricultural society attract the attention of the Indonesian sultanates? These sultanates were reliant upon trade, and I think that their trade routes reached to New Guinea. So isn't it likely that some time before the 17th century this *Aborgine agricultural society comes into contact with Muslim merchants?

Depends very much on the location of the agricultural society. I'm looking at an agricultural package of food crops which grow in the subtropical and temperate zones of Australia, not the northern regions where any contact is likely to be. So on the west coast of Australia, there's not going to be any agricultural societies living further north than Shark Bay - and probably not even there. On the east coast, the limit will be a bit more ambiguous, but certainly well south of Cape York.

This is well beyond the range where Indonesian explorers are likely to come into contact with Australia. It's likely that there have been sporadic visits to northern Australia over the millennia. We know about the Macassars, and there must have been others before them. But there was nothing much to interest them, and so they didn't bother to stay. Even in the ATL, there's not going to be many changes in northern Australia. Perhaps some metal tools come north on inland trade routes, but unless there's gold or silver, I can't see much which would persuade them to come back for further trading.

This doesn't really change things in the larger world at all either. The trade routes just extend a little further, and when the Dutch come in and take over the East Indies, their take-over extends into the little trading-posts in Australia.

It's not impossible, but unless there's some sort of new trade goods in northern Australia to interest the Indonesian visitors, there's probably not going to be any reason to set up a trading post. It's not even that easy to find motivation for the Dutch to set up a trading post (well, unless the Aboriginal cultures find the gold-fields), although I have found a couple of crops which the Dutch will treat as minor spices, which should be enough to keep them coming back.

A very intriguing and thoughtful TL Jared. I can't wait to see where you go with this.

Although it may not be an issue due to butterflies and the like but if Australia is out for Penal colonies for Britain where are they going to send all those convicts? ;)

Hendryk

Banned
Of course, domesticated emus may not actually be of that much use. No real use as beasts of burden. They would be a reliable source of meat, but they would have to be fed. Emus aren't pure grazers... they eat some young grass, but they prefer a more mixed diet - seeds, insects and so forth. In modern emu farming, they're mostly fed on various grains and nuts. It's not possible to park emus in a paddock and forget about them. Aboriginal farmers would need either to figure out how to domesticate some crops to feed to the emus, or give the emus wattle seeds and the like.
On the plus side, if the Aborigines do domesticate the emu, that means they've become good enough at domestication that they can readily take up any other domesticate.

Weapon-wise, I'm hoping those alternate Aborigines go for the atlatl, a weapon I have a soft spot for, and not just because of its name ;) In OTL, the Conquistadores found it a pretty effective weapon when used by well-trained troops.